Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

It's handier than typing Casey supporters, which is itself a label.

Ah, I'll consider you as a Travellersite so.

Also, you're hardly shy of typing Francie, you've the most posts on both threads...

Why even engage with him? His only goal is to antagonise and provoke an actionable reply. He only respects the democratic process if it suits his narrow narrative .

Point taken but it's enjoyable to point out his hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd imagine crisis meeting at 1% - main topic on the agenda - how do we make Peter relevant coz the diaspora sure as f*** isn't working.

So there are brains there. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Omackeral wrote: »
    Ah, I'll consider you as a Travellersite so.

Also, you're hardly shy of typing Francie, you've the most posts on both threads...

TravellerSite? I see what you did there.

Review the thread, I haven't done much defending of travellers at all, I think the community has issues and as said that while I understand the only time we see their leadership is when they have to be defensive, that their leadership is not all it could be. Which to be frank, is as a result of an education deficit.

The main thrust of my posting is anti-hate speech to be perfectly honest. So maybe another 'ite' would be more illuminating.

So there are brains there. Good man.

I'd guess that it came from somebody else, with more knowledge of Ireland, in his team. Because he seems peculiarly incompetent after he utters the soundbytes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'd guess that it came from somebody else, with more knowledge of Ireland, in his team. Because he seems peculiarly incompetent after he utters the soundbytes.

He's not the brightest but he has a knack of saying the right things at the right time for maximum effect. That's not easy.

TravellerSite? I see what you did there.

One's full of trash, the other houses our special ethnic minority.

The main thrust of my posting is anti-hate speech to be perfectly honest. So maybe another 'ite' would be more illuminating.

We've been over what does and does not constitute hate speech. Your opinion on it means exactly nil. Nothing Peter Casey has said even approaches it. He didn't make a call to arms, he didn't try to corral people into a mob. Basically the only -ite suffix that comes into play when trying to tie him to hate speech is fullofsh-ite.

He's not the brightest but he has a knack of saying the right things at the right time for maximum effect. That's not easy.

Don't you find it suspicious that on the key points he raised that he seems unable to expand on them or defend them even.
    His SEMS statement for instance, he stood blubbering 'benefits' when he was challenged on it on the TV debates. It was almost comedic. And he completly shut up after that.
    On his Phoenix Park comments - apparently a troll, until the Late Late when he actually tried to defend the idea. Bizzare and I would be suspicious (convinced actually) that he is being fed bullet points to throw into the debate.

The faux weekend break that wasn't a weekend break to bolster those who thought he was being shut up. All classic stuff in the manipulation of a narrative really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Seems FF are taking note of the election result after the party found internally 1 in 3 of FF voters voted for Casey. No one thought he would be President but he shown a light where one needed to be shown and of course where many wanted no light. Report is carried in the Indo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Don't you find it suspicious that on the key points he raised that he seems unable to expand on them or defend them even.
    His SEMS statement for instance, he stood blubbering 'benefits' when he was challenged on it on the TV debates. It was almost comedic. And he completly shut up after that.
    On his Phoenix Park comments - apparently a troll, until the Late Late when he actually tried to defend the idea. Bizzare and I would be suspicious (convinced actually) that he is being fed bullet points to throw into the debate.

The faux weekend break that wasn't a weekend break to bolster those who thought he was being shut up. All classic stuff in the manipulation of a narrative really.

Still with the idiot genius, the unpopular populist, the blubbering speech master, the lucky tactician, the stalking-horse instigator, the insignificant significance?

He can't be all the things FrancieBrady. Though I will say that a large reason for the large support he experienced was likely due to the universal condemnation from his opponents and media. The hyperbole (like the Green Party one who is lying awake at night because of Casey's comments) and overreaction don't sit well with most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

The actual fact is 10% of the electorate voted for Casey.

Well then it's just as much of a fact that Michael D. is president despite the fact that 75% of the electorate didn't vote for him.

Still with the idiot genius, the unpopular populist, the blubbering speech master, the lucky tactician, the stalking-horse instigator, the insignificant significance?

He can't be all the things FrancieBrady. Though I will say that a large reason for the large support he experienced was likely due to the universal condemnation from his opponents and media. The hyperbole (like the Green Party one who is lying awake at night because of Casey's comments) and overreaction don't sit well with most people.

Hyperbole? Did you not indulge that in your first sentence?

I repeat, Casey did nothing clever. He took an easy potshot at a community. And I suspect he was being fed his lines becuase he never got beyond those 'lines'.

Well then it's just as much of a fact that Michael D. is president despite the fact that 75% of the electorate didn't vote for him.

Absolutely. But he won the election by record numbers.

Seems to me if you claim Casey was speaking what 'everyone knows' or what 90% believe' as is regularly claimed by Caseyites that only getting 10% of the electorate out on a sidebar election was pretty shambolic.

It is much more likely that the vast majority of people are like me - firstly, we wanted to pick the right person for the job (the purpose of the election) and that while most people recognise that there are problems with travellers and a huge problem with crime from all sections of society that targeting one community and inciting hate around them is abhorrent and a type of politics we do not want.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Absolutely. But he won the election by record numbers.

Seems to me if you claim Casey was speaking what 'everyone knows' or what 90% believe' as is regularly claimed by Caseyites that only getting 10% of the electorate out on a sidebar election was pretty shambolic.

It is much more likely that the vast majority of people are like me - firstly, we wanted to pick the right person for the job (the purpose of the election) and that while most people recognise that there are problems with travellers and a huge problem with crime from all sections of society that targeting one community and inciting hate around them is abhorrent and a type of politics we do not want.

Why is that much more likely?
    We have no idea whatsoever if its more likely.
    Could just as easily be that the majority of people agreed with Casey but preferred Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Sinn Fein were the ONLY political party to take on the incumbent president and yet couldn't even motivate their own supporters to come out and vote. I also think many previous SF voters flipped to Casey.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Sinn Fein were the ONLY political party to take on the incumbent president and yet couldn't even motivate their own supporters to come out and vote. I also think many previous SF voters flipped to Casey.

I think her comments about the poppy would have put a lot of people off voting for her.

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Why is that much more likely?
    We have no idea whatsoever if its more likely.
    Could just as easily be that the majority of people agreed with Casey but preferred Higgins.

Higgins got his vote out to win the election.
    Apparently, Casey got a protest vote out. That protest amounted to 10% of electorate. If it was a genuine registering of a 'protest' vote then electing a president was incidental.

An awful lot of people decided not to bother registering a protest (Which usually means one thing) nor to vote for a president. Apathy, not bothered enough etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

fin12 wrote: »
    I think her comments about the poppy would have put a lot of people off voting for her.

Sinn Fein took long enough to put her forward and have her engage in the campaign. I remember when she was unveiled she refused to answer any media questions. They had long enough to prepare her so why did they tell her to say yes to the poppy. They knew it would come up with the 100 year anniversary imminent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

fin12 wrote: »

Sinn Fein took long enough to put her forward and have her engage in the campaign. I remember when she was unveiled she refused to answer any media questions. They had long enough to prepare her so why did they tell her to say yes to the poppy. They knew it would come up with the 100 year anniversary imminent.

That was their death knell. They always screw it up, thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I know plenty who voted Michael D but gave Casey their number 2

Agree with above, it would have being an eye opener if it went to a count and maybe told a bigger picture that the media doesn’t want highlighted.

Agree with above, it would have being an eye opener if it went to a count and maybe told a bigger picture that the media doesn’t want highlighted.

What's in it for the media btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Very true. We will never know how many voted no. 2 for Casey now that Higgins breached 50%.

But that is history now. And we probably need to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Very true. We will never know how many voted no. 2 for Casey now that Higgins breached 50%.

But that is history now. And we probably need to move on.

Agree with you time to move on and now the ball has started to roll, let’s see where it moves because a lot of people’s opinions are changing towards the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

What's in it for the media btw?

Blue chip advertisers, but only if their on message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Apparently all the people on here who voted for Peter Casey or had an issue with Travelers are Russian bots.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108560611#post108560611

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

dav3 wrote: »
    If people seriously want to discuss travellers, they need to reach the absolute bare minimum requirement to be taken seriously . That applies to everyone, moderators and admins included.

You need to accept that travellers are an ethnic minority and that they are an ethnic minority under law.

You need to understand that ethnicity is not the same as nationality or place of birth.

You need to understand that racism is the belief in the superiority of one race over another, which often results in discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.

If you cannot accept those basic requirements for discussion, then you're wasting your time and everyone else's time. Nobody will take you seriously and that includes the vast majority of Irish people. What you will be left with is a safe space for a tiny minority of grief merchants trying to outdo one another with tales (real and imaginary) of what the bad traveller/minority man did to them.

Until you reach the minimum requirements you will have very few people engaging with you.

I see now so we didn't get the answer from people in here so now its trying to shut conversation down from a site wide perspective.

You also seem to think you speak for the majority of Irish people and want this to be a safe space but have the audacity to imply thats what those you disagree with want to do.

Thought police all up in this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Just wondering if anyone has managed to explain traveller diversity and why it is so important yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Higgins got his vote out to win the election.
    Apparently, Casey got a protest vote out. That protest amounted to 10% of electorate. If it was a genuine registering of a 'protest' vote then electing a president was incidental.

An awful lot of people decided not to bother registering a protest (Which usually means one thing) nor to vote for a president. Apathy, not bothered enough etc etc

What’s with the 10%, didn’t he get nearly 25% of the vote??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

i beg your pardon mate
    i'm just steering the conversation in the right direction

The right direction?! Are you a merge of Francie/end of the road?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement