Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Loz Ella

Hi everyone, do any of you know if a couple wishing to buy a new build are both able to apply for Help To Buy or can only one of them do so? If both can, is there a combined €30,000 limit or is that per person (depending on the tax you've paid in the previous four years). Any help you can give would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It’s max 30k per application. As a couple you can use your best 4 tax years to apply and not of you must be deemed first time buyers. Unfortunately it’s not per person and there are limits on the LTV (loan to value) of the property (70%) and there’s a max purchase price too.

more info here https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/help_with_buying_a_home/help_to_buy_incentive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

The 30k is the maximum relief available. When each person applies via their own revenue online it will tell them how much relief they are eligible for on their own so it might say that X is eligible for 30k and y is eligible for 22k. That doesn't mean you will get 52k. The maximum relief available is 30k.

Regarding whether to apply on your own or not, I looked into this for a relative earlier in the year. When claiming the relief, the revenue website says all parties to the loan offer must be named in the HTB application.

In my relatives case they'd applied on their own as they were eligible for the max relief on their own and then came up against this when they went to claim. Wasn't a huge issue as they cancelled the application and reapplied jointly and gave the new access codes to the builder. The builder had no issue as they only look to claim once the contracts are signed as this is one of the docs to upload when claiming along with loan offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Hi Folks,

A couple of questions on the HTB scheme:

1. Do people think it will extend beyond December 2022?
    2. It says you need to apply for a mortgage that is 70% of the purchase price. If for example, the house was 400,000 and you had combined savings of 150,000 so only needed a mortage of 250,000 but 70% of 400,000 is 280,000, can you still apply for a mortgage of 280,000 and just 120,000 of savings instead of the full 150,000 you have?
    3. Is there any reason why it only applies to purchases of new houses/self builds and not second-hand houses?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

1) HTB should be phased out but I would expect it to be extended past 2022 in the current climate of high inflation in construction costs etc. I can't see them taking it away from builders.

2) Yes that is correct. The amount of savings you have is irrelevant to the HTB application once the mortgage is at least 70% of the purchase price.

3) it's specifically for new builds because it is supposed to stimulate the construction of new houses. Help to Build/Help the Builder would be more appropriate names for the scheme.

• Advertisement

I am a PAYE worker but thelast couple of years I had some non-PAYE income from some discounted share purchases, so I needed to fill out a Form 11.

So I think, I may be classified as self assessed rather than PAYE now.

I went into ROS and clicked on Manage Tax Clearance but not sure what reason to use as to why applying for tax clearance, none seem to relate to for HTB. Any idea which option to pick?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5 selfbuilder22

has anyone had experience or know someone who wasn’t eligible due to mortgage not being 70% of the house valuation? 3.5 x both our salaries won’t reach 70% of what I think the house would be valued at we would be 6/7% short

Post edited by selfbuilder22 on

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

After how many days of HTB verification, builder gets the funds. Builder has suggested to release completion notice only after the HTB funds are received.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ggmat799

Revenue came back suggesting Loan offer pack should be signed. Solicitor has sent signed copy to Bank. He has no copy with him.

Is this normal for revenue to ask for signed copies? If yes, my solicitor should have kept the copy. He is now going on a vacation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 circe28

Hi Guys,

Really hoping someone here has some insight for us!

Like most people we’ve been saving hard for years to afford a house, we recently found one. The house we are buying is a one off in the country, we don’t know when it was initially Built but it was repossessed by the banks and sold at auction in 2018, the house was never finished, it does not have internal doors, floors, sanitary ware or a kitchen. It is not habitable as it stands.

We are approved for the HTB for 20k, the purchase price of the house is 200k and we would then need to finish off the internal works. We have savings which we were planning to use to finish the house of around 20k. All in to purchase and complete works the cost would be approx. 230k, which we can manage if HTB applies.

We recently contacted revenue and everyone we speak with gives us a different answer, one person told us we could use the “Self build” option yet another told us that the house was too far along?!

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Any advice would be hugely helpful as we are now under pressure from the vendor to progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

I'm in a similar situation. Our mortgage approval is 68% of the value of the home. The balance is being made up of the deposit and the new First Home Scheme. Is the 70% limit negotiable in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

The HTB team are the only ones able to give you a definitive answer on an application. The ONLY way to contact them directly is through My Enquiries when logged into MyAccount. They answer the My Enquiries in date rotation.

When you ring the PAYE Helpline you get to speak to a caseworker who has minimum training in HTB, and that caseworker has no direct way of contacting the HTB team to get an answer for you, that’s why you are getting different answers depending on the caseworkers experience.

It’s ridicules that there is no HTB helpline to be able to call directly given the stress that goes hand in hand with the securing of funds to enable one to proceed with the purchase/building of one’s home.

to be fair, most people are struggling to get a 10-20% deposit these days, the limits there for a reason and in my eyes if you're in a position where your 68% LTV then HTB might not be the program for you.

That being said there's nothing stopping you being right on the limit and using that 2% for other misc. moving money (solicitors fees, moving trucks, fancier flooring)

I only have a 10% deposit, the rest is coming from the new First Home Scheme announced yesterday. I've a fairly modest mortgage approval as well. I'm in no way wealthy or have a large deposit to buy a home.

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you had the 32% made up from deposit and HTB, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

At what point do you click the claim button on MyAccount for the HTB?

We've paid booking deposit and are going ahead with loan approval. Contracts won't issue for a couple of weeks. Do we click claim now or what stage do we claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sw59td

would a 675k new build be eligible?

Has anyone any experience of cancelling a HTB application after funds have been placed,(cancelling house purchase)

Our new-build house has been delayed since January 2020, and we've been drip fed excuses from one month to the next.

We need secure accommodation with expectations that interest rates will rise until private ownership is drastically reduced

We used the HTB for our deposit and it has been paid out. We feel like asking the builders to let us out of the contract as they may be able to resell at a higher price with a lot in the waiting list.

Would revenue recoup the money through the builder, or through us? Would it be possible to re-apply after that?

How long does it take Revenue to approve your application?

Applied as part of a group (with OH), so application was in my name. She got a notification into her myaccount on the revenue website to accept joining the group.

Both of our tax affairs are up to date.

When I login into the application it says under Other Group Members - my OH's name and "Awaiting Membership Confirmation" even though she confirmed joining the group.

Sent an enquiry through my revenue account on 4th August to revenue, heard nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

If I apply for Help To Buy today, do I get back 4 years of tax that I paid up until today, or until the end of last year?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

• Registered Users Posts: 8 uljha.insaan

HTB might not be available beyond 2022. does any one know if we will still be eligible for HTB grant if:

• we get approval from revenue in 2022
    • we sign the contracts in 2022
    • But house only gets ready in 2023, which means we get house in 2023. will revenue still give 30K in 2023 as contracts were signed in 2022?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭TheGunns

The Revenue guidance says that once contracts are signed pre Dec 2022 you're eligible - in all likelihood you'll submit the claim shortly after contracts are signed so the builder should already have the funds from Revenue in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

I was wondering about this too and found the answer from the Revenue's HTB guide published last month:

"You can only proceed to the Claim Stage after you have either: 

- signed a contract if you are purchasing a new property, or 

- drawn down the first tranche of your mortgage if self-building."

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

The bank is looking for evidence of my HTB approval but have said that my name must be included on the document I submit. But when you log into myaccount and view the claim, it has the application code, maximum relief amount awarded and the expiry date - but it doesn't mention my name anywhere. Has anyone else been asked for their name to be included on the document they submit?

Hi folks, I used HTB to buy my home in 2018. We got 13000 towards the deposit.

I'm thinking of moving back to Dublin next year and as far as I can tell, they'd claw back 20% or 2600 of that as I would be leaving in year 4 and you are supposed to stay 5 years.

Do I have that correct or is there anything else id have to pay back/consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Baron_Von_Baka

Any chance you heard back on this yet? We submitted on the 11th and are seeing the same message, wondering if anything needs a follow-up from our end or if they're just slow...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jassgal

Hi guys wondering if anyone could help. I have placed a booking deposit on a new build and have just been denied an exemption with bank of Ireland. Our mortgage advisor has suggested that we take our max 3.5 from bank of Ireland and bridge the gap with the new first home scheme. The problem is that our mortgage approval from boi will be around 60 LTV because we didn't qualify for the exemption and the minium is 70%. Will the loan I am seeking from the first home scheme be considered to bring me over the 70% to avail of the HTB scheme?

• Advertisement

Unfortunately not. I queried this with revenue before. Your mortgage must be at least 70% LTV. The FHS isn't considered a mortgage.

Advertisement