Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ladybug14

I reapplied on Tuesday and it was approved yesterday, less than 24hours

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Applied on the 1st or 2nd not sure. Was surprised it was so quick myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 nd272

can someone explain to me the process when closing the mortgage with HTB

in my case I paid a deposit of 5k initially to auctioneer to secure property.

price is 196k

htb I was approved for is 19.3k

what happens to the money left over?

by my account the htb more or less cover full deposit of 10% give or take €300.

solicitor fees and stamp duty etc they costed at 3.8k approx.

do I get my 5k back at end or what’s the story here?

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dublinandy3

We are the same and my solicitor (though I do question her competence a lot) told me the 5k come off the house price, so your mortgage should be 5k less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 babelavante

Hi I applied for HTB on 2nd of Jan and just got approved last night. Does anyone know if the expiry date is actually 31.12.2022 or is there a chance they will scrap HTB before the year is out? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Fawkon

Very unlikely that they will scrap it before the end of the year, I think you are safe to presume you have until end of 2022 to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishWhiskey

I was approved for HTB in late 2020 when applying for Mortgage with PTSB. Was very fast, Got approved in principal.

Reapplied again in Jan 2021 but this time it seemed to take much longer, I needed to send a request to myenquires and it was eventually approved. I think this one was maybe 1.5 - 2 weeks?

House construction was not completed by end of 2021 so I needed to reapply for HTB. First I got my statement of liability sorted for 2021 as I know you need this to be in order for HTB.

I made a new claim for 2022 on 11/01/22 and explained that I was previously approved in 2021 but it expired due to construction on the house not being complete.

I then range the PAYE line on Friday and they said there is no front office or direct line to speak to anyone from HTB. She said that HTB have informed PAYE that there is a large volume of applications and that they complete them in the order they were submitted.

She said that they can only escalate if someone might loose the house. She advised it would be best to send another message to my enquires and include the address so they have something on file and also include things like approval in principal and signed contracts etc...

I submitted those documents as well as my new address and how much my mortgage was for and how much deposit I had paid so far as well as the price of the house.

This was on the 14/01/2022.

The builders have informed me that work on the house will complete this Thursday on 20/01/2022 and I mentioned this in my enquiry to revenue. So far it is 19/01/22 and no reply to my enquires and my HTB application still just says "under review".

My solicitor reached out to me mentioning that the builder's solicitor has reached out to him mentioning that they will be ready to finish work on the house in the coming days and requested if we have the HTB access codes yet.

I'm starting to get worried that this might be delayed by a while as I have no indication from revenue when my HTB application will be approved. Is there any advice anyone can give about what I should do to speed this up? All my tax is in order (as far as I know) for the previous 4 years so I have no idea what the hold up is exactly.

I didn't say in my enquiries "I'm afraid I might lose the house" but I did mention that drawdown should potentially take place next week. So now I suppose I might actually get into a situation where I could be at risk of losing the house if HTB is not approved soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ilovefridays66

Similar situation myself, although not anywhere near completion on the house but waiting weeks on HTB. Seems there's a massive backlog. They said they would escalate mine too but so far nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Same here, we are sale agreed on a new build which is already pretty much done, and waiting on HTB.

I know their busy because of returns and everyone reapplying but they really need a better system for escalating for those sale agreed and needing the details. We were already approved last year. At this stage it should be automatic.

Sitting here waiting for someone to see the enquiry is so nerve wrecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

We were approved last year, and had to reapply this year. Applied on Jan 5th. I had an issue where I needed to apply for a Tax Clearance Cert, which I did a couple of days later. Haven't heard anything from them since.

Were due to sign contracts in a week or 2 and would really love to have everything sorted before then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Charlie 22

I got re-approved for my 2022 HTB straight away by not using 2021 as a tax year. It is not mandatory to use the most recent year.

I just ticked 2018, 2019, 2020 which was on my old approval from last year and it re-issued right away. Might help some people out there but you will need to have enough tax from 3 years instead of 4 so bear that in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

No change today, still waiting on a reply and HTB approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

I've been working abroad for 2 years but will be moving home to buy, can I apply for the help to buy to cover just 2019/2020 seeing as I was paying tax in Ireland during these years?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

You can any of the past four years I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 boardieboard

Has anyone had an issue where the builder was only able to claim for one part of a group? We we’re both entitled to the full €30,000 and instead of just using one person to claim the €30,000 we spilt it and the builders solicitor got back to my solicitor saying they could only claim for one person and there is an outstanding sum of our deposit that they were unable to claim. We uploaded signed contracts so I’m very confused why they were not able to claim the full amount with our claim number. I know that sounds very confusing but I am very confused and also worried that this is an issue that revenue will take a long time to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

For self builds, should we apply at drawdown & does the house have to be completed within a certain timeframe?

Do people think this will get extended? We spent a year abroad in the last four so not sure whether to wait another two years so we can claim the full 4 years working here.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

General question guys, do agents / developers accept the HTB (as in the codes to drawdown from Revenue) as the deposit when signing the contracts? I know it can take 5 or so days for those funds to be released…. Or… do some insist on the deposit immediately and take the HTB off from the total at a later stage? Also, will they return the booking deposit at that point if the HTB covers the full 10%?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Yes, you can give the access codes as deposit.

You won't get the booking deposit refunded to you after contract signing. It will be taken off the mortgage amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Notorious93

Can anyone confirm if it is standard to get the payment for self builds in two different payments for joint applications? Got half the claim amount so far. The full claim amount is meant to be split equally between 2 of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Am actually in the same boat. Did you get any clarity??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Help_Dubai

Is it a big deal for a developer to get approved for the HTB scheme with revenue? A place has come up where the developer isn’t registered yet but doesn’t seem adverse to getting approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭howiya

When submitting a HTB application does it need to be for all parties to the mortgage or can one person apply on their own?

Eg. say one party to the mortgage would have paid sufficient tax to qualify for the full tax relief on their own. Does the second person need to also apply?

Pointed a relative to this thread. I'd imagine it's already covered and they didn't look too hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭gramo

Just noticed that there is no relief if its over 500,000.

Myself and the wife had been looking at a property that is 520,000. Has anyone gotten any relief with it been over the threshold?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TG683

Hi everyone,

Myself and partner approved for full €30,000. I applied for claim today. I uploaded our signed contracts and noticed afterwards that my loan offer letter didn't upload. There is no way of adding it now, and my solicitor said not to cancel it at this stage. Just wondering has anyone been in a similar situation and what happened?

Thanks ☺️

Hello,

Does anyone here know does the HTB application expire?

During renewal of mortgage offer our bank has stated that we need to reapply to htb as our htb application started last year.

Our mortgage advisor is surprised as she thought there are no more expiry dates on them.

My online application on revenue shows as approved with solicitor and money is ready. I received that message from revenue this February so i do not think it is expired.

I'm getting the feeling the bank want to delay until mortgage rates go up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Adelie

Before giving us loan offer AIB is asking “If you intend to use the Help To Buy scheme as part of your deposit please upload confirmation of your approval from Revenue”

But we still didn’t get HTB approval from Revenue. And I read they won’t speed it up until we have loan offer. But we are able to pay the house deposit to the developer from our savings. Does that mean we can still get a loan offer even without sending them HTB approval?

AFAIK, and in my own experience, the HTB offer expires yearly unless claimed before the end of the year even if not used.

We only just moved in and mortgage drawn down but our HTB was from last year, we however made sure the builder claimed for it before the end of last year so we didn't have to put a new claim in this year.

Approval is confirmation you are eligible and the amounts. You're given an application amount and code, that's all the bank needs.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/documents/htb-summary-applicants.pdf

Thanks, I probably should have updated. The HTB money had already been transferred to the builders in February, thus no more expiry.

I had only received a message that funds would be transferred soon, and no message when they actually did transfer.

Bank were happy enough in the end.

• Advertisement

Great news, good luck with the move!

Advertisement