Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Gatwick spent a huge amount of money to redo its security operation, staff though not the nicest in my experience but thats a UK airport thing its a bit US like with the barking of orders.

T1 in Dublin is a mess, lots and lots of lanes but you never see them all open, always several closed

T2 works well but the fast track at times offers zero benefit, having a single lane open for it a 515am on a weekday is never going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,853 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Been a while since I used DUB T1 outbound but I’ll become reacquainted as of tomorrow afternoon and report back. Be definately arriving good and early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

Gatwick spent a huge amount of money to redo its security operation
    And it works brilliantly with less belts and more people than Dublin . All that time saved is spent browsing shopping and eating, I really dont know why the DUB airside businesses dont give out as well as its all time lost that they would be buying stuff airside

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

trellheim wrote: »
    And it works brilliantly with less belts and more people than Dublin . All that time saved is spent browsing shopping and eating, I really dont know why the DUB airside businesses dont give out as well as its all time lost that they would be buying stuff airside

In fairness, I imagine they do give out. The medium/long term plan is to move screening to a new area on Mezzanine level in t1, most likely to vastly improve the current setup which is limited by space (I'm not talking about number of lanes, I believe the length of packing/unpacking areas is a big issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Fasttrack is seven euro. If traveling at risk times I sissy’s get it. It’s the price of a pint pretty much. There is enough messing around and bull**** at airports, I can’t be arsed with it. Takes away a lot of the stress ... even if it turns out it saves you no time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

In fairness, I imagine they do give out. The medium/long term plan is to move screening to a new area on Mezzanine level in t1, most likely to vastly improve the current setup which is limited by space (I'm not talking about number of lanes, I believe the length of packing/unpacking areas is a big issue).

I dont see packing and unpacking areas slowing things down as long as the belts are fed with bags and people are processing through ; I like watching these things because theres nothing else to do while queueing .

When you are unpacking theres 3 other slots doing the same and nearly always the limiting factor is being able to push your tray forwards while the conveyor is full - the thing holding that up being the belt/scanning speed and not the size of the area ( if there was more unpacking slots the conveyor would become even more congested, slowing things even more )

At the other end the bags fall down to the ramp and they dont slow people or other bags going through the scanner.

Take all that together and the speed of people going through is not really to do with packing and unpacking areas. I suspect DAA are once again trying to avoid the hard yards and actually spend that money on needed staff

Complain to the shift managers as you go through folks ask them why they dont recruit enough people to staff all the belts at peak its not as if they dont have the money to pay them

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

trellheim wrote: »
    I dont see packing and unpacking areas slowing things down as long as the belts are fed with bags and people are processing through ; I like watching these things because theres nothing else to do while queueing .

When you are unpacking theres 3 other slots doing the same and nearly always the limiting factor is being able to push your tray forwards while the conveyor is full - the thing holding that up being the belt/scanning speed and not the size of the area ( if there was more unpacking slots the conveyor would become even more congested, slowing things even more )

At the other end the bags fall down to the ramp and they dont slow people or other bags going through the scanner.

Take all that together and the speed of people going through is not really to do with packing and unpacking areas. I suspect DAA are once again trying to avoid the hard yards and actually spend that money on needed staff

Complain to the shift managers as you go through folks ask them why they dont recruit enough people to staff all the belts at peak its not as if they dont have the money to pay them

I'm not saying they aren't understaffed,as I said above they very much are, but in my experience, space is also an issue.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/mcevaddy-looks-to-woo-iag-and-delta-for-new-transatlantic-hub-37726794.html

I just read that. An infinitetely better option than daa in my opinion! There is actual vision here!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And it is NEVER going to happen. There is no way to force access to the runways, and it won't be offered freely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

L1011 wrote: »
    And it is NEVER going to happen. There is no way to force access to the runways, and it won't be offered freely.

The IAA control the runways and ATC, if they allow access DAA can’t say no.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

billie1b wrote: »

The DAA own all the land required to get on to them, if not also the land they are on themselves.

This is a pipe dream that has been floated on and off for about 30 years. It has even less chance of happening now than it did initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

billie1b wrote: »

The DAA own the runway's.
    The IAA provides ATC services on behalf of the DAA.
    DAA has final say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Idbatterim wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/irish/mcevaddy-looks-to-woo-iag-and-delta-for-new-transatlantic-hub-37726794.html

I just read that. An infinitetely better option than daa in my opinion! There is actual vision here!

It's easy to promise something like that when you don't actually have to do it!

The question is really - are DAA being 'unambitious' or more pragmatic?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Really, it's the government who has the final say. But, you have to wonder about that article, when Willie Walsh is saying we don't need a third terminal

MJohnston wrote: »
    It's easy to promise something like that when you don't actually have to do it!

The question is really - are DAA being 'unambitious' or more pragmatic?

its the DAA we are talking about! "unambitious' 100%! allow a new players to fund it themselves and watch what happens with an ambitious operator that will have to sink or swim! Will be night and day compared to the DAA!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

If anyone here believes the DAA could stop this they are being naive. Politics will decide this one way or another.

If would be the government who would have any final say.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

plodder wrote: »
    Really, it's the government who has the final say. But, you have to wonder about that article, when Willie Walsh is saying we don't need a third terminal

A carrier with sufficient landing slots and terminal space is presumably not necessarily the best to judge whether more terminal capacity is needed I would imagine?

That being said, I neither see what benefit a competing private terminal would bring nor have any reason to doubt the DAA's view that it is not yet needed.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    A carrier with sufficient landing slots and terminal space is presumably not necessarily the best to judge whether more terminal capacity is needed I would imagine?

That being said, I neither see what benefit a competing private terminal would bring nor have any reason to doubt the DAA's view that it is not yet needed.

theyd push a lot more for new business than the DAA I reckon!

I was just pointing out what Walsh said, not whether it was right or wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

You've clearly got a chip on your shoulder. DUB has had unprecedented growth in the past few years with dozens of new routes and destinations and DAA recently announced a €1 billion investment on top of the €320 million being spent right now on the runway and control tower. What's that if not ambitious?

• Advertisement

Misinformed nonsense

not long after that recession and T2 already not enough stands! Drive into Dublin airport and you are greeted with multiple traffic lights! look at some of the security queues , some people waited 55 minutes last year and at the same time, many of the security screening booths are closed, they were fined for it there not so long ago. So excuse my cynicism when it comes to the DAA!

What is the bloody obsession here with the lights? Malaga doesnt have them, McCarran doesnt have them! Two of the more recent airports I have used, is this just an Irish / English love affair with traffic lights?

L1011 wrote: »
    Misinformed nonsense

maybe, your are speculating too of course...

The point is that the head of Aer Lingus is quoted as saying another terminal is not needed in that Irish Times article.

Seems to directly contradict what the Indo are pushing as a narrative, which proposes that:
    McEvaddy met IAG boss Willie Walsh and former Aer Lingus chief executive Stephen Kavanagh and discussed the possibility of either British Airways or Aer Lingus - or both - becoming the anchor tenant at the terminal, according to well-placed industry sources.

Indo seem to be inventing their own spin on this story, when the reality is that McEvaddy had a meeting where Walsh very likely told him the same thing as he told the Irish Times!

This is a common trend among modern newspapers - take a bunch of disconnected minor facts, then weave your own little slant on what it all means. Generate some clicks. Done. Who cares if it's accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There was a jib crane taking down the tower crane at the new tower on Saturday. When is the tower switchover expected to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

There was a jib crane taking down the tower crane at the new tower on Saturday. When is the tower switchover expected to happen?

2021 I believe. It has to go through 2 years of testing before opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

I am sure Willie told him that if he gets approval for a terminal and gives him a decent price then he would look into it. No more no less. The discussion counts for nothing if McEvaddy cannot secure planning permission and secure access to the taxiways/runways.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Seems to directly contradict what the Indo are pushing as a narrative, which proposes that:

Indo seem to be inventing their own spin on this story, when the reality is that McEvaddy had a meeting where Walsh very likely told him the same thing as he told the Irish Times!
    I don't see why the Indo would push this as a narrative. Seems more likely that someone else is pushing it. It all sounds a bit desperate if you ask me.

plodder wrote: »
    I don't see why the Indo would push this as a narrative. Seems more likely that someone else is pushing it. It all sounds a bit desperate if you ask me.

Because a story of this style is going to attract more clicks.

• Advertisement

The McEvaddy brothers have media connections, one or both were investors in commercial radio in '89/90 which would have linked them with an entire generation of journalists etc. Quite easy to get coverage when you have the phone numbers of the people who can write the stories!

Advertisement