Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop 2018

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was recommended an album called 'Sun Go Nova' by Denmark Vessey. Glad I listened to it, it's not exceptional, it's a bit 'different' so it took me by surprise. I think that Earl Sweatshirt was involved in it somehow, maybe done some beats on it or something.
    If you're looking for something different, give it a bash.

Currently listening to U-Gods new album called Venom. 6 songs in and it's actually really good. I normally get bored of his voice and beats that he chooses very quickly, but this is definitely breaking that trend so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Go to http://www.kanyewest.com/, there's a new video there of an meeting between Kanye and TI. It looks like that meeting sparked the idea for the latest track with them and show's some of the recording.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 hiphophead2003

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Currently listening to U-Gods new album called Venom. 6 songs in and it's actually really good. I normally get bored of his voice and beats that he chooses very quickly, but this is definitely breaking that trend so far.

Haven't listened to it yet. What would you give it out of 10? Would you consider it his best album?

Haven't listened to it yet. What would you give it out of 10? Would you consider it his best album?

Not sure if I could rate it like that, I don't think I've heard them all :)
    To put it this way, I think that his first album Redemption has about 3 or 4 excellent songs, the rest are just filler.
    The Keynote Speaker has 1 or 2 great songs, a few good ones and a bit of muck on it.
    This one seems to be more consistently being really good throughout, which I haven't heard from him in the past.

So it doesn't have the best songs of his discog, but it flows much better than his other albums...if that makes any sense at all. :)

New BME joint from Royce and Em, fantastic stuff.

There's also supposed to be a remix with a Logic verse but apparently, he's still rapping about being mixed, I guess he hasn't moved on.

• Advertisement

Royce's new album Book of Ryan is out, haven't listened to it yet but it's supposed to be really bloody good (didn't expect less from Royce) so I'm hyped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Just finished the Royce album, was very easy to listen to and a couple of nice features but wasn't crazy about it. Certainly don't think it was as good as KOD.

That said, not overly familiar with his stuff so wasn't going into it with any past knowledge or expectations.

EDIT:
    Thinking more about it there were some interesting threads through it, the use of the revolution will not be televised worked well, im certain another rapper used this as well but cant place where i heard it though.

EDIT EDIT:

It was who will survive in America...

New Gambino single "This is America"

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

New Gambino single "This is America"

Incredible, that video is simply genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Harambe wrote: »
    Incredible, that video is simply genius.

I can't stop watching that video. It's absolutely amazing. Stonking tune as well.

• Advertisement

Childish Gambino is f*cking brilliant. I see people criticising him for not being a lyrical miracle in that song....that's the f*cking point!!!! He's commenting on how easy it is that 'rappers' don't even use words anymore. But the genius is that his words although sparse are powerful.

Is this tied to an upcoming album?

Jaysus there is so much going on in that video, I've been reading some of the break downs of it.

I believe that he does have a new album in the works. He did say that he is doing one last album under the name Childish Gambino.
    But no idea if this is tied to it or not.

Some of the content of the video is commentary from an incident last month I believe, so its speculated he made the song/video very recently.
    I'd like to think that he had it in his back pocket and now that Kanye is going on a mad one, it was the perfect time to unleash it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

He performed that and another new one "Saturday" on Saturday Night Live at the weekend, Donald Glover was hosting it. There were some excellent skits on Kanye and Migos too that were perfectly executed.

He's performing some more Pharos shows in New Zealand in December, and the last Pharos shows were previewing Awaken, My Love, so it's probably safe to say there'll be another new album coming from this too. Or at least, I'm definitely getting my hopes up.:D

Any recommendations on which childish gambino albums to listen to if trying to get into him? Have heard various bits of his and never been overly impressed, but that song and video were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭CR 7

VW 1 wrote: »
    Any recommendations on which childish gambino albums to listen to if trying to get into him? Have heard various bits of his and never been overly impressed, but that song and video were excellent.

Because the internet is his best. Reading the screenplay too while listening shows just how good he is. The STN MTN/Kauai mixtape is really good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The Awaken, My Love album is top drawer but it's on more of a Funkadelic tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

VW 1 wrote: »

His first EP is great, it's more rappy rappy.
    The Camp album is brilliant as well, it's where he starts to infuse soul/dance music with hip hop.
    Because, The Internet is...I'm not even sure how to explain how good it is.
    Awaken My Love is beautiful. I listen to at least one song off this album once a day.

The mixtapes in between are also decent, more rappy if that's what you're into.

Just thinking now, he has one hell of a discography, stronger than most artists.

• Advertisement

I love L'Orange beats, I love when he teams up with a rapper for a full project.
    This time he's teamed up with Solemn Brigham and called themselves Marlowe, they have an album coming in July.

His first EP is great, it's more rappy rappy.
    The Camp album is brilliant as well, it's where he starts to infuse soul/dance music with hip hop.
    Because, The Internet is...I'm not even sure how to explain how good it is.
    Awaken My Love is beautiful. I listen to at least one song off this album once a day.

The mixtapes in between are also decent, more rappy if that's what you're into.

Just thinking now, he has one hell of a discography, stronger than most artists.

Yeah it'd typically be more the rappy side thing I'd be looking out for, that said i do also delve into the roots of funk and soul to try to get into the samples being used to make up tracks so i will try starting with his stuff im more likely to be into and work from there.

A lot of the time i disregard someone on first listen and it's only when i come back to it that it all starts to click. Newer kanye stuff being a prime example, really didnt like Yeezus or Life of Pablo first couple times around.

I'm starting to enjoy more of the nerdy breakdowns of production lately, something I'm really interested in but for the most part need explained to me as I'm not a natural to it at all. Anyone listened to the dissect podcast?

I still am a firm believer that Kanye copied Childish Gambinos blueprint for a few years.
    There are only about 2 good songs on Life of Pablo, there are some rubbish songs on it as well.

Haven't listened to that podcast, might give it a go. I'm a nerd when it comes to the production side of things. There is a docu series on Netflix called Rapture, there is one episode with Just Blaze and he visits other producers to talk about how they piece their songs together. It was a super watch.
    There's also a Rhythm Roulette series on youtube, a different producer picks 3 records and makes a beat out of them. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

Sean McTiernan sums up MY REACTION to This Is America.
    https://twitter.com/NoChorus/status/993909137305161729 (click for full thread)

Haven't listened to that podcast, might give it a go. I'm a nerd when it comes to the production side of things. There is a docu series on Netflix called Rapture, there is one episode with Just Blaze and he visits other producers to talk about how they piece their songs together. It was a super watch.
    There's also a Rhythm Roulette series on youtube, a different producer picks 3 records and makes a beat out of them. It's brilliant.

If its the production side, that type of analysis is far more prevalent on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in season two, season one concentrates on the lyrical side of things of To Pimp A Butterfly.

Ill check those documentaries out, cheers. Just got done with the Defiant Ones which was a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

miocicmma wrote: »

Get that rainbow haired face tatted pedo off this board REEEEEEEEEEE

Get that rainbow haired face tatted pedo off this board REEEEEEEEEEE

Harsh bro. for the record I like the song. 6ix9ine is a bit of a knobhead but for me he's better than allot of these new wave rappers like Lil'Pump, Lil'Xan and Lil'Yaughty

Not going to lie. I fck with that Childish Gambino track.

• Advertisement

Credit to 69, he's found a wave and is riding it. Will we see him in a few years, I doubt it.

I do like one of his songs though, can't remember the name.

Advertisement