Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Booze deals [Megathread]

Options

Comments

Powers gold 26.99 in Spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ellejay wrote: »
    noooooo
    it was the smaller bottle, €25
    definitely not the 1 litre, that was thirty something

where is this tesco? others need warning. I don't recall ever having seen 700ml smirnoff that expensive in tesco. I was posting about the 1L being 27 last week, and it then dropped to 25 a fair few days back.

The 700ml shows on line as 20 reduced from 21. 25 is a ludicrous price for that run of the mill muck.

SAVE 1.00 Was 21.00 Now 20.00
    valid from 30/3/2020 until 14/4/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭ellejay

rubadub wrote: »
    where is this tesco? others need warning. I don't recall ever having seen 700ml smirnoff that expensive in tesco. I was posting about the 1L being 27 last week, and it then dropped to 25 a fair few days back.

The 700ml shows on line as 20 reduced from 21. 25 is a ludicrous price for that run of the mill muck.

Tesco Greystones

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Easy now.

25 euro is mental though in fairness, especially in a Tesco.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

€20 or thereabouts is enough to pay for Smirnoff 70cl. It's so popular that someone somewhere will be doing that offer.
    Either between Dunnes, Tesco, SV or Aldi etc.

However, as a vodka drinker - I would strongly recommend Finlandia (€22 in SV) or 1 step further - Russian Standard vodka (Tesco ~€26)

Russian Standard is by quite some margin the best of the "run of the mill" vodka before you start paying big. Even then, Russian Standard will hold it's own.

The difference in your hangover is like night and day - literally.
    I personally wouldn't wash the car with Smirnoff yet its the only vodka Mrs Cadaliac likes.

Each to their own, but the better vodkas for a few euro more are well worth it.
    Maybe not so much is you are keeping a bottle in the press, for the occasional use, but if you intend to drink the stuff yourself, or family - no contest folks.

• Advertisement

cadaliac wrote: »
    €20 or thereabouts is enough to pay for Smirnoff 70cl. It's so popular that someone somewhere will be doing that offer.
    Either between Dunnes, Tesco, SV or Aldi etc.

However, as a vodka drinker - I would strongly recommend Finlandia (€22 in SV) or 1 step further - Russian Standard vodka (Tesco ~€26)

Russian Standard is by quite some margin the best of the "run of the mill" vodka before you start paying big. Even then, Russian Standard will hold it's own.

The difference in your hangover is like night and day - literally.
    I personally wouldn't wash the car with Smirnoff yet its the only vodka Mrs Cadaliac likes.

Each to their own, but the better vodkas for a few euro more are well worth it.
    Maybe not so much is you are keeping a bottle in the press, for the occasional use, but if you intend to drink the stuff yourself, or family - no contest folks.

Each to their own is right, I like a drop of good quality spirits every now and again and Vodka would be my preferred tipple. I have drank pretty much all of them. I buy it from local supermarkets and off licences, when I travel abroad and I buy it from online auctions.

I particularly like older vodka's that were bottled in the 70's and 80's, I find them a lot "cleaner" when it comes to avoiding the dreaded hangover.

As for the bog standard red label Smirnoff, I personally think it is a very good quality Vodka, I can't remember ever having a bad hangover from it and I would be an early starter as a rule.

As you said though, to each their own. I have a selection of various whiskeys (140+ varieties) and other spirits that I would only really indulge in if I knew I wasn't going to have an early start the next day. Some of the more expensive ones would have me glued to the mattress the following morning wondering what all the fuss is about them.

Smirnoff in my humble opinion is one of the cleanest, best value Vodka's on the market.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Smirnoff in my humble opinion is one of the cleanest, best value Vodka's on the market.

Good choice of language. If I'm given Smirnoff I use it for cleaning :D

Caranica wrote: »
    Good choice of language. If I'm given Smirnoff I use it for cleaning :D

White vinegar is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Why don't tesco.ie deliver the 24 can packs you can buy in store?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

To allow olden days people to get essentials to sustain their life instead. A fella/fellaette getting 24 cans should be fit enough to plan and complete a mission from their home to the local Tesco returning with a crate of cans in under 3 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

I was in Supervalu on Thursday and was casually looking at gin, the price of a bottle of Sipsmith was €50, got home and checked Amazon and it was £20. That's just ridiculous really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I was in Supervalu on Thursday and was casually looking at gin, the price of a bottle of Sipsmith was €50, got home and checked Amazon and it was £20. That's just ridiculous really.

Are you sure?

Cheapest price I see on Amazon is £28.25 + £7 UK delivery. And some sellers £36-£38

To allow olden days people to get essentials to sustain their life instead. A fella/fellaette getting 24 cans should be fit enough to plan and complete a mission from their home to the local Tesco returning with a crate of cans in under 3 hours.

No but really? What's the reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Seve OB wrote: »
    They should all be 568ml. No more discussion needed.

Oddly enough, Svyturys Ekstra from Latvia comes in 568mL cans, with "Pinta" written at the top. Molloys are doing them 6 for €10 and it's quite nice. They have the whole counter behind perspex, with one opening to put your basket of booze through and another little opening for the card machine, with contactless payments gone up to €50 which is great, hate touching pin pads at this time...

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JohnB123456

I had this issue online yesterday.. contacted the manager of the store who took payment for the Guinness over the phone and had it sent with the rest of my food shopping.

No but really? What's the reason...

my friend gets 24 packs of beer delivered from tesco.

my friend gets 24 packs of beer delivered from tesco.

Can you see it online? I can't unfortunately...

Can you see it online? I can't unfortunately...
    yes, I put them in a basket but did not log in so confirm I could get them (problem with my password).

I am not sure how the whole online thing works, I remember a time before when people would see things that were not showing for me.

I was in my tesco yesterday and it was very well stocked with beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭interlocked

Darc19 wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Cheapest price I see on Amazon is £28.25 + £7 UK delivery. And some sellers £36-£38

Yeah, it was on offer for £20, it was posted on HUKD, gone up to £30 now.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sipsmith-london-dry-gin-70-cl-rrp2899-2000-delivered-at-amazon-3437292

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

yes, I put them in a basket but did not log in so confirm I could get them (problem with my password).

I am not sure how the whole online thing works, I remember a time before when people would see things that were not showing for me.

I was in my tesco yesterday and it was very well stocked with beer.

What you see online when you're logged in is wholly dependent on the specific store that serves your area. It's quite possible that individual stores have blocked the sale of 24-packs online as they want to limit the amount of space alcohol is taking up in the delivery vans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

with contactless payments gone up to €50 which is great, hate touching pin pads at this time...

Was in a Tesco today and their self service checkout wouldn't take contactless for a €35 payment, I read some BS from them the other day about updating their systems blah blah... if independent stores and relatively small chains can do it they can. Nul points, Tesco.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was in a Tesco today and their self service checkout wouldn't take contactless for a €35 payment, I read some BS from them the other day about updating their systems blah blah... if independent stores and relatively small chains can do it they can. Nul points, Tesco.

Yes can't understand it, Dunnes, SuperValu did it, a tiny butchers near me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

Yes can't understand it, Dunnes, SuperValu did it, a tiny butchers near me too.

Aldi have upped the contactless limit too whick is great, think its 50 too

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Yes, just Tesco being lazy. Also claiming the amount of sales in the 30-50 bracket wasn't enough to justify changing their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭NinetyForNone

So what are the hours for alcohol sales today?
    Do Lidl and Aldi choose to operate on Sunday hours?

mgray wrote: »
    Also claiming the amount of sales in the 30-50 bracket wasn't enough to justify changing their system.
    That is crazy as an excuse, esp. as most people are doing far bigger shops these days, or should be trying to. The hand santiizer and wipes at their self service checkouts probably cost more to get in!

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭sceach16

Possible that their IT systems people are UK based and cannot/will not make a change. Equally, they may just have decided not to bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Ben Done

sceach16 wrote: »
    Possible that their IT systems people are UK based and cannot/will not make a change. Equally, they may just have decided not to bother!

They were saying that it required each reader being manually upgraded, x thousand across all their stores.

They didn't want to do it and risk a malfunction of all pos terminals, which would obviously not be ideal.

Given that the update has been applied and is now running fine in smaller retailers, any further delay in implementing the roll out would look like heel-dragging on Tescos part.

Surely they could do it on a store by store basis, overnight, while shelves are being stocked, and have it tested before opening time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Been drinking cans so I dont have to go to a bottle bank but if I drink any more Im going to turn into a can.

So its time for bottles. Any good deals going on bottles of craft beers delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,956 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ben Done wrote: »
    They were saying that it required each reader being manually upgraded, x thousand across all their stores.

They didn't want to do it and risk a malfunction of all pos terminals, which would obviously not be ideal.

Given that the update has been applied and is now running fine in smaller retailers, any further delay in implementing the roll out would look like heel-dragging on Tescos part.

Surely they could do it on a store by store basis, overnight, while shelves are being stocked, and have it tested before opening time?

Sorry to off topic but Tesco were one of the last supermarkets to have contactless payment. Ridiculous really

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement