Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Bargains [Groceries]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

RossieMan wrote: »
    Not in castlebar, or most of the stores in the West.

Have got double the difference and the item for nothing and a full refund( they did that before the double the difference) numerous times in Roscommon store.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

A few mulitpacks of 4 bars/chocolate are 1.50,

rolos are the best value as they have not shrank like all the rest.

The multipacks are still 52g, which is the same weight as single retail packs (which are €1.05 in tesco). SO it is 208g while a 4 pack of kitkats is 166g and 4 pack of galaxy bars is 168g.

Bounties are 2x4packs for €3, they are another bar which is still full weight in multipacks, 57g bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Frozen chocolate Yule logs down to €1.25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

RossieMan wrote: »
    Not in castlebar, or most of the stores in the West.
    Have gotten double the difference in Castlebar and Claremorris.

Today got Cadbury Roses 187g 98c. Carrs Sesame Seed Water Crackers 66c.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

D Trent wrote: »
    Was the SEL saying €5.60?

Yes the lady at CS went and got it from the shelf..... maybe I should have looked for double the difference but was happy enough to get the refund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

4 packs of these were the amazing price of €0.95 in Tesco Carrick-On-Shannon yesterday

http://www.heinz.co.uk/en/products/beanz/ranges/healthy-beans/heinz-less-sugar-beanz

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

Carte Noire 200g €4. Rathfarnham SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Aero 360 de-humidifier two pack reduced to €1.71 they are 8 in Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭onform

F34 wrote: »

Which store was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Tesco today only apparently: 5 medium Easter Eggs for €5. Mars, Rolo, KitKat Aero, Cadburys etc.

• Advertisement

Two pack Minky Damp Guard refill tablets 75c. Bought two boxes yesterday, but they didn't have the Damp Guard itself. Anyone see those about?

Lots of clearance toiletries in Swinford, so probably in others too - Sanex shower gel, Radox handwash, Tresemme shampoo ...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

tallpaul wrote: »
    Tesco today only apparently: 5 medium Easter Eggs for €5. Mars, Rolo, KitKat Aero, Cadburys etc.

Valid until 14th march according to Tesco website

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Slumberdown 4.5 tog duvets single €1.08, king size €1.42 in Tesco in Tralee

I posted this in the dealz thread, but as I was comparing tesco prices I thought I would copy here, as many may miss it. Many still think of dealz as a "pound shop" and do not know there are so many groceries there, with big brands and regular pack sizes.

And now they have bigger pack sizes too.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I see €3 items online now, might be old news.

http://www.dealz.ie/offers-and-promotions/3-food-and-drink

21 kitkat 2 finger bars for €3, while the €1.50 packs have only 8 bars, or 3+1free 4 finger bars, so pretty much the same. So you are getting 5 bars more for €3 than you used to, not bad.

The best value kits kats in tesco are 2x4x4fingers for €3, which only equals dealz 1.50 price.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=292573934

100g millicano €3, in tesco it is €6.89 for that size and looks identical
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=268172402

€3 for 750g frosties, €4.35 for the same size in tesco.

Often poundland/dealz had unusual pack sizes, I saw a documentary saying they go to manufacturers and say "give me what you can so I can sell for £1"

Cadbury mini rolls 15 for €3 while in tesco its only 10 for €3, and thats an offer

SAVE 1.25 Was 4.25 Now 3.00
    valid from 28/2/2017 until 20/3/2017

Coke zero shows as 1.50 for 2L, wonder if it is really 2L or 1.75L, they seem to have specific numbers for others, and could be sourcing from some other country. Cherry coke is listed as 1.75L so not like they are unaware of pack size changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Noel453

Got a medium suitcase in Tesco Finglas today, Don't know if it has been posted here before.

Its part of the worlds lightest range, Priced at 20euro

it is in Argos reduced from 50euro to 40euro,

I know its not the biggest bargain but i was delighted with the price as I've a few trips planned in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Aero 360 de-humidifier two pack
    leck wrote: »
    Two pack Minky Damp Guard refill tablets 75c. Bought two boxes yesterday, but they didn't have the Damp Guard itself. Anyone see those about?

Lots of clearance toiletries in Swinford, so probably in others too - Sanex shower gel, Radox handwash, Tresemme shampoo ...
    th283 wrote: »
    Slumberdown 4.5 tog duvets single €1.08, king size €1.42 in Tesco in Tralee
    Noel453 wrote: »
    Got a medium suitcase in Tesco Finglas

hope ye're not eating these, given this is the groceries thread! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭James Delaney

Lol - Great Stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,320 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

tallpaul wrote: »

Are they the ones with 2 large bars also?

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    This is the range of Easter eggs at the five for €5 deal:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32180241
    Weights vary between 123g and 162g. At those weights I doubt any would have two fullsize bars.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Looks like a single full size bar, many of which have shrank in size in recent years.

The creme egg and kit kat ones say 1 egg/bar in the descriptions.

Rule of thumb is that a full size solid bar is typically about 50g, things like creme eggs, wispas, aero, kit kat being a bit less. They do not actually have to declare the weight on the packet if a bar is under 50g, and on many bars they do not explicitly declare the weight -but it can often be worked out from the nutritional info. e.g. is might say 300kcal per 100g, and 100kcal per bar, meaning it is 33.3grams -yet nowhere on the pack does it say 33g.

In dealz most stuff is 1.50 so easier to compare, I would want to be getting 130g+ for 1.50, unless it is higher value stuff.

Years ago a "medium" egg meant 2 full size bars and an egg of about 100g. Todays medium would have been called small years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Some of my haul of Easter eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Any Thorntons ones knocking around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

rubadub wrote: »
    Looks like a single full size bar, many of which have shrank in size in recent years.

The creme egg and kit kat ones say 1 egg/bar in the descriptions.

Rule of thumb is that a full size solid bar is typically about 50g, things like creme eggs, wispas, aero, kit kat being a bit less. They do not actually have to declare the weight on the packet if a bar is under 50g, and on many bars they do not explicitly declare the weight -but it can often be worked out from the nutritional info. e.g. is might say 300kcal per 100g, and 100kcal per bar, meaning it is 33.3grams -yet nowhere on the pack does it say 33g.

In dealz most stuff is 1.50 so easier to compare, I would want to be getting 130g+ for 1.50, unless it is higher value stuff.

Years ago a "medium" egg meant 2 full size bars and an egg of about 100g. Todays medium would have been called small years ago.

Jaysus you have the diabetes down to an art :pac:

Price per kg is on the SEL in Tesco pretty easy to compare if you're obsessive about the price of empty calories. The medium eggs in tesco 5 for 5 deal I got were 127g / 130g. At 1 euro each that makes it 7.70-7.87 per kg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Jaysus you have the diabetes down to an art :pac:

Price per kg is on the SEL in Tesco pretty easy to compare if you're obsessive about the price of empty calories. The medium eggs in tesco 5 for 5 deal I got were 127g / 130g. At 1 euro each that makes it 7.70-7.87 per kg

in fairness the price per kg is not always on the SEL and when it is, it is quite often incorrect

vicwatson wrote: »
    I saw no evidence of any thorntons eggs in mine (ballybrack). I was scanning the top shelves too for unopened boxes. There was no shortage of the others though, some shelves were totally cleared out and I at first thought "oh here we go, old scam to get customers in", but in fairness the rest of the shop was littered with them at the end of different aisles. People had baskets & trolleys full of them.

Some eggs were ridiculous prices. A "large" creme egg easter egg is 9.99 which is 270g in total with 2 eggs, creme eggs are just under 40g

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=291252580

But for just 1 cent more you can get 10 smaller creme egg easter eggs, with 10 creme eggs and 1380g in total. So 5 times as many eggs, and 5 times as much chocolate.

BTW Any 5 For 5.00 valid from 8/3/2017 until 14/3/2017

Seve OB wrote: »
    in fairness the price per kg is not always on the SEL and when it is, it is quite often incorrect
    its crazy how often it is wrong. I wish it was included in their price promise things, especially back when you ended up getting the product free. I wish it was legally enforced -I think it is exempt. I am pretty good at maths and have been doing "price per kilo/unit/volume" in my head since the 80s and continually spot incorrect stuff in tesco.

In the case of the easter eggs the SEL price did have price per kilo on many, but it is the price per kg before the reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,320 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

leck wrote: »
    This is the range of Easter eggs at the five for €5 deal:
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/SpecialOffers/SpecialOfferDetail/Default.aspx?promoId=R32180241
    Weights vary between 123g and 162g. At those weights I doubt any would have two fullsize bars.

I would think them the small ones not medium :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26 johncmurphy

In tesco douglas earlier i picked up 24 500ml cans of carlsberg for 17.50. They are at the end of the off licence lane by the boses of corona. 3 cases left when i was there

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭et101

vicwatson wrote: »

If you happen to be near an Iceland, they usually stock Thorntons eggs. Not sure how much of a selection they have but defo worth a look if it's convenient

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭jc77

Cobra 660ml bottles, €1.60 in Youghal, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

jc77 wrote: »
    Cobra 660ml bottles, €1.60 in Youghal, Cork.

Nice. What's the best before date ?

Advertisement