Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-09-2020, 21:57   #481
AndyBoBandy

The shop in Jonesborough are the best bet in my opinion. I’ve gone there that last 4 years now.

I went on Friday as I was aware Dublin was about to get locked down (and 3 weeks could easily become 6 weeks!!)
Thanks from:
Advertisement
23-09-2020, 07:43   #482
The_Conductor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_trip View Post
No post in 2 years.
Whats the story at the moment?

Google shows 2 shops on the Dublin road off junction 20 heading towards newry.
Is there anything in Jonesborough?

There's also a shop showing between Dundalk and Castleblaney but its a bit out of the way.

Is there anywhere you'd recommend? Are the shops just over the border going to be more expensive than the shops further into the North?
The whole area- incl. Jonesborough and Newry itself- has the second worst Covid outbreak in Northern Ireland (after Lisburn) and is on lockdown. Its up there with Blanchardstown in Dublin for Covid incidences. Approach with severe caution.

If you really want to go anyway- there is a Diamond retail outlet on the Monaghan road- its not the cheapest- but its probably a hell of lot safer.
23-09-2020, 09:20   #483
AndyBoBandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
The whole area- incl. Jonesborough and Newry itself- has the second worst Covid outbreak in Northern Ireland (after Lisburn) and is on lockdown. Its up there with Blanchardstown in Dublin for Covid incidences. Approach with severe caution.
The shop on the corner in Jonesborough (where the shop/off licence/chipper are) was grand on Friday. They've developed the place a bit so the fireworks are no longer in the back of the store room (which was quite tight), but in a much larger store room that's been newly constructed, with plenty of space. There was only myself there and the lad doing the selling, and we were both wearing masks.

I was there around 10:30am, so for anyone going up, I'd suggest going midweek early enough if they can. Last year we did it on a Saturday and it was busy)
(2) thanks from:
23-09-2020, 13:33   #484

What were prices like compared to past years Andy? Much in the way of big stuff?
23-09-2020, 13:37   #485
grayzer75

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...5748968854372/
Advertisement
23-09-2020, 14:01   #486
AndyBoBandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5500 View Post
What were prices like compared to past years Andy? Much in the way of big stuff?

Usual prices really. War Machine was there, which I wanted, but it's €250 (now you can obviously get discounts for buying a few bits)

I went for a BattleShip (€125), a Thunder Strike (€30 for a classic) and a few more. Packet of War Hawks are €20. All in it totted up to €280 and I paid €255

They had these new 'fun snaps' that he said were like bangers, their €2.50 a box, but he said they were brilliant!! I probably should have picked up a box.
(3) thanks from:
23-09-2020, 14:56   #487

I had the war machine 2 years ago and it was a let down, so I'd say you saved yourself. Thunderstrike is a nice loud one though and you cant go wrong with the warhawks either, I've had some of the bigger rockets (atom bombs/tridents) and the warhawks are just as loud
23-09-2020, 15:00   #488
AndyBoBandy

I had a trident 1 year and it was rubbish.

Cannot go wrong with War Hawks, although I really like the look of these Total Wipeout's.

You get 3 in a pack, but there are 6 types in total. I really like the very last one below, Type F

Effects:
(A) Red palm with chrysanthemum
(B) Red dahlia with blue peony
(C) Brocade to blue with silver glitter
(D) Silver glitter king
(E) Blue dahlia peony
(F) Golden palm to colour (RGB)

If I was going back up, I'd pick up a packet, think they were around 30-40, can't remember.
30-09-2020, 08:54   #489
sweet_trip

Didn't realise there's two shops in jonesboro.
I was kinda put off going into the one on the little corner as it just looked like a shipping crate and instead went to the one in the market. Good selection there tbf.

Just bring cash.
Advertisement
30-09-2020, 09:22   #490
AndyBoBandy

Quote:
Didn't realise there's two shops in jonesboro.
I was kinda put off going into the one on the little corner as it just looked like a shipping crate

That container is not the actual shop... its just a 'front' shop for appearances only. You actually go inside to a big store room where they have everything... It's in behind the off licence. The lads in there are sound, including the owner. You also have their off licence next to it who have great deals on beer/wine/spirits. (The owner does hand out flyers for the off licence).

I've never been to the market shops, but have heard they are not cheap.
30-09-2020, 11:46   #491
The_Conductor

Are any of them doing Euro:Sterling equivalency like they normally do?
30-09-2020, 11:48   #492
AndyBoBandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Conductor View Post
Are any of them doing Euro:Sterling equivalency like they normally do?
The place in the shop, take Euro cash (or card)
02-11-2020, 19:05   #493
sweet_trip

Random question.

But I got a load of these in the selection box's I bought.

I thought they were just fun sparklers but they don't seem to work at all. I've lit 4 seperate ones and they just kinda burn and smoulder almost like a stick of incense.

are they just defective or something else?

02-11-2020, 19:07   #494
Dr Turk Turkelton

Quote:
Random question.

But I got a load of these in the selection box's I bought.

I thought they were just fun sparklers but they don't seem to work at all. I've lit 4 seperate ones and they just kinda burn and smoulder almost like a stick of incense.

are they just defective or something else?

They are wicks for lighting the fireworks.
Thanks from:
02-11-2020, 19:16   #495
AndyBoBandy

They smoulder away so you can light each firework in the selection box, so you don’t have to faff about with lighters trying to light them, especially if it’s windy out....

Though I just used a chef’s torch....
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion