Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE cameraman attacked by Gardai

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

my friend wrote: »
    Yeah in your utopia only Shinners should have guns ...

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Alright, so does anyone know how to report something from facebook to the guards?
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=913561958751080&id=912549568852319

Hmm, can't say I condone that. Still better than the bile spouted on the Pegida Ireland Twatter feed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Everyone has the right to protest though, even racists. Its called democracy. So the republican left or whatever they call themselves are not in any position to be threatening people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Manach wrote: »
    My offhand understanding is that journalists are afforded by custom and international treaty a measure of immunity as recorders of current events. This is not always respected : as numerous causulties that occur in trouble spots around the world attest. Thus a pity this protection is not the case in the Ireland of 2016.

Oh please!

He wasn't prevented from reporting. He was getting in the way of the gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Amazed by the reaction here , whatever about a protester,hitting a camera man is quite sinister.

Is it amazing, is it really?

At least the Gardai are fair, hitting both camera carrying and non carrying people.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The cameraman was in the wrong place. He made the decision to place himself in danger so I have no sympathy.

Well this comment shows a spectacular ignorance towards what good journalism is. Journalists willing to put themselves at risk to get the story out there and to provide comprehensive coverage are almost always universally praised. How safe you are, anonymously typing behind a keyboard in your nice warm house. And is there a gard in the house, if you're not one yourself? I'd bloody bet there is! How about, the gard just doesn't assault anyone next time? Then no one will be 'in the wrong place'. Talk about victim blaming!!
    ezra_pound wrote: »
    Oh please!

He wasn't prevented from reporting. He was getting in the way of the gardai.

Do you assault people who are in your way? That's a little weird and frightening. Usually I'll just roll my eyes, or if they're really taking the mick, maybe give a little tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Collie D wrote: »
    Hmm, can't say I condone that. Still better than the bile spouted on the Pegida Ireland Twatter feed

I'll say one thing about Ireland - the Left and the Right are both fascist, Ted! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Everyone has the right to protest though, even racists. Its called democracy. So the republican left or whatever they call themselves are not in any position to be threatening people.

Once again NO NO you dont have the right to protest in Ireland .

you have the right peaceful assembly

neither of the sides in this dispute were excising the right to peaceful assembly and were dealt with by the gardai.

camera man though he was too important to be told to get out of the way
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/constitution_fundamental_rights.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Wright wrote: »
    Well this comment shows a spectacular ignorance towards what good journalism is. Journalists willing to put themselves at risk to get the story out there and to provide comprehensive coverage are almost always universally praised. How safe you are, anonymously typing behind a keyboard in your nice warm house. And is there a gard in the house, if you're not one yourself? I'd bloody bet there is! How about, the gard just doesn't assault anyone next time? Then no one will be 'in the wrong place'. Talk about victim blaming!!

Can he not move back 5 metres?

Come on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Is it amazing, is it really?

At least the Gardai are fair, hitting both camera carrying and non carrying people.

Well if he was being consistent then he should have walloped the woman about a foot away from him with her iphone in his face.

Fair me bollïx, he took a bit of a cheap shot.

All in all, from reading the reports it seems the guards did a decent job today in testing circumstances.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Once again NO NO you dont have the right to protest in Ireland .

you have the right peaceful assembly

neither of the sides in this dispute were excising the right to peaceful assembly and were dealt with by the gardai.

camera man though he was too important to be told to get out of the way
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/government_in_ireland/irish_constitution_1/constitution_fundamental_rights.html

I was more talking about the Republican left threatening the right wingers in the facebook post, sorry if that was not clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That Garda wielding his baton was way out of step with the rest of his line who behaved professionally and in control. I calculate the line at 12 Gardai. One Garda acted up, the other 11 did their job.

Regards hitting a camera man, it is completely unacceptable. The Garda done it because he had a rush of blood to the head. The same thing happened with a member of the Met in London who struck Ian Tomlinson with a baton and killed him. That report found that police need to ask questions before they use their baton instead of just going in like a raging bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Hey dim witted RTE camera boy

As you read this I'm laughing at your squealing

'You can't hit cameras' 'camera' 'you can't hit cameras'

Well today was a lesson in law and order for you

Camera people can be hit, legally

Next time a Garda or Gardai repeatedly instruct you, try complying with their direction

Now go change your ice pack, fool.

Are you having a nice chat with yourself there pal.

I don't know if its a lack of an education or just some combination of conformist view / plain ignorance on your part, but the guard in question may say he was maintaining the line here, but unfortunately for him, he seems to have crossed it.

Unfortunately it wasn't a Youtube protestor cameramen that was struck out at but an actual press cameraman with RTE, reporting news.

RTE have quite rightly made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman about the assault of one of their on duty staff.

The Garda Press office wont be offering you a job there anytime soon.

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/Cajf_GcWAAA6uxz.mp4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

The governments left hand at odds with the governments right hand, beautiful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

STB. wrote: »

I don't know if its a lack of an education or just some combination of conformist view / plain ignorance on your part, but the guard in question may say he was maintaining the line here, but unfortunately for him, he seems to have crossed it.

Unfortunately it wasn't a Youtube protestor cameramen that was struck out at but an actual press cameraman with RTE, reporting news.

RTE have quite rightly made a formal complaint to the Garda Ombudsman about the assault of one of their on duty staff.

Did you see what happened before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Cheap shot there by the Guard. The camera man was the easiest target, so he went for him.

What exactly was he so hepped up about? That he might get taped to death?

Amazing that some people are saying the cameraman was asking for it... Really? That's a fairly idiotic thing to believe. So it's a bad thing that there was a member of the media there is that what you're saying? When they know there's no prying eyes, those who use force aren't too shy about dishing it out.

Now from that angle, it looks much worse, it doesn't look like the camera man is refusing to move back, the Garda is moving towards him and hitting him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Can he not move back 5 metres?

Come on!

The cameraman was where he felt he needed to be to get the shot, to record, to journal, that is his job. This is not a society where it is acceptable for you to get a nightstick or a heavy duty DSLR (or even bigger) camera in the face because you were a few metres in the 'wrong' direction.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Did you see what happened before that?

Tell us. I doubt it was anything the cameraman did to deserve an assault but I might change my mind if you tell me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Try it in Germany, or any other European state. When a guard orders you to leave you leave. These guys have a very difficult job to do.

You're very quick to jump to the defence of state violence. The very same poster who always portrays himself to be so adamantly against violence of any kind. I smell a big old steaming pile of hypocrisy.

You ought to be careful, this kind of attitude will get you chucked out of the 'libertarian' circle.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Wright wrote: »
    The cameraman was where he felt he needed to be to get the shot, to record, to journal, that is his job. This is not a society where it is acceptable for you to get a nightstick or a heavy duty DSLR (or even bigger) camera in the face because you were a few metres in the 'wrong' direction.

it seems its a society where camera men know more about policing than the police though .......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

It won't be an issue

Camera 'men ' ARE NOT exempt from having to comply with instructions from Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I have no bother with the Gardai using the baton on trouble making scum bags,I would have a problem with them hitting a RTE camera man if he was clearly identified as such,we rely on the media to observe and to be independent and impartial , to show us how the people we entrust with enforcing the law behave,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Now from that angle, it looks much worse, it doesn't look like the camera man is refusing to move back, the Garda is moving towards him and hitting him.

Indeed. The Guards need to be taught to identify the press, so they dont get caught out like this !

The clue is that they are possibly the only guys with the Sony PX Broadcast cameras.
    It won't be an issue

Camera 'men ' ARE NOT exempt from having to comply with instructions from Gardai

There's that world again comply.

It will be an issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Indeed. The Guards need to be taught to identify the press, so they dont get caught out like this !

The clue is that they are possibly the only guys with the Sony PX Broadcast cameras.

Not necessary, it's the greenhorn camera 'men' whom need a briefing on the law and the public order act

The law applies to idiot camera 'men' too

camera boy learned a lesson today

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ye ****ing space aged bastard, ye

It won't be an issue

Check out the video just posted. He was clearly backing away, as instructed, and still gets flaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

The video as always is only showing one side of the clash. The crowd are as rough as a badgers arse with one lad goading the gardai.

If I was in a crowd like that and got a wallop I would have it coming to me.

Fair enough, he gives the camera a fair whack which he probably shouldn't, but the crowd are being absolute gowls.
    'Get off our street, gardai scum'.
    Ya, seems like a wise idea for a society.

Few of those lads deserve to have the chops slapped off them. Peaceful protest me hole.

Chanting '...nazi scum' actually.

Not necessary, it's the greenhorn camera 'men' whom need a briefing on the law and the public order act

I genuinely hope you're not in any position of authority.

• Advertisement

Ah my friend, how do you know he's a greenhorn, 'men' (whatever that's about) or a boy?

You do realise that the law applies to gardai as well?

Advertisement