Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE cameraman attacked by Gardai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

STB. wrote: »
    Which line is that ? Tell you what lets draws a line under the whole issue. This is the line the guard broke as he stepped forward and assaulted the RTE cameraman, from what I can see.

Shouldn't be at the front of an angry mob then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

kneemos wrote: »
    Shouldn't be at the front of an angry mob then.

I wouldn't call them a mob, it only seemed to be one angry guard. :)

Adieu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

All I wanted was a Whopper, ya fcuking freestate b@stdard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Valentines Day rush has started early this year.

No excuse for hitting a camera which I'm guessing was quite a large one that stood out. The guard in question should have been in more control m

Belt away at the others no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

The sad thing is nearly every time you read about facists and anti-facist protesters, its the Anti-Fa ones that always seem to be the ones that are actually involved in violence. Strange because using violence to achieve ones political aims is normally associated with what ideology (spot quiz ;) )

Violence against ordinary citizens? not in my experience being on the ANTIFA side.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

He had a professional looking camera in fairness,but so could anyone.

That's a bit delusional. "So could anyone"? Is this a new thing? Protesters carrying huge, heavy, worth thousands of euro cameras.

He's definitely a professional cameraman and not an undercover protestor.

Whatever about the Garda, Section 8 of the Public Order Act, whether camera men should be given some special status etc...this is just...comedy gold!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=913561958751080&id=912549568852319

Whatever about the Garda, Section 8 of the Public Order Act, whether camera men should be given some special status etc...this is just...comedy gold!

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=913561958751080&id=912549568852319

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

You'd want to watch that oul video again chap.

Which hit are we talking about? Where he hits the camera or where he hits the cameraman in the legs. I'm talking about the leg incident.

No matter how many times I watch it I see the same thing.

He's right in the middle of it. Moves or is shoved a good 5 feet away. When the guard violently lunges off the line to strike him in the leg. I'm watching a clip with a side view. And you see the cameraman walking backward and also someone out of shot has a hold of his jacket slowly walking him back too.

I think you should probably watch it a few more times if you missed all that the first few go's. Pause, rewind and keep doing that until you see what actually happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Buffman

Here's another video of the same Garda (minus his ID number) hitting an Irish Times journalist.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles or cartons to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Without ID how would they know who he was?He had a professional looking camera in fairness,but so could anyone.
    Crap position to be in anyway,what could he see from there only a line of Guards.

It doesn't matter who he is. If he was pat Kenny they should have still battered him. If he was uncle gaybo they should have battered him. His actions and failures to act are at issue, not his identity or affiliations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They just make themselves sound like thugs (of which they are)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Where's the video of them chasing the group into a store and attacking them with innocent shoppers and workers?

Shows a totally different situation with what the gards had to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I hear one of the protester shouting at the police "You Effin Free State basterds"....

What does that mean? and what political persuasion might he be?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

Saying the cameraman deserved it because of where he was positioned is ludicrous, he's a cameraman ffs, it's his job to get amongst the action, not stand on the outskirts. I can't imagine his producers would have been best pleased if he came back with no footage of the clash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

That garda was on a power trip. Hitting the cameraman proves this. He should get suspended for 4 weeks without pay and also sent to anger management classes in how to professionally deal with social situations of which he lacks the skills in.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I hear one of the protester shouting at the police "You Effin Free State basterds"....

What does that mean? and what political persuasion might he be?

Free Presbyterian Republican

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

That garda was on a power trip. Hitting the cameraman proves this. He should get suspended for 4 weeks without pay and also sent to anger management classes in how to professionally deal with social situations of which he lacks the skills in.

Yes it's possible to live in Ireland this day in age without pay for a few weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Guards order people to move back. NOW.

People refuse to obey the order.

People get whacked.

I don't see the problem with the guards actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Wolf Club wrote: »
    Saying the cameraman deserved it because of where he was positioned is ludicrous, he's a cameraman ffs, it's his job to get amongst the action, not stand on the outskirts. I can't imagine his producers would have been best pleased if he came back with no footage of the clash.

You can't hit cameras cameras cameras you can't hit cameras you can't hit cameras.

Sounds very much like the favourite sport of people trying to kick trouble off - blocking people, getting right up in front of them "peaceful protest peaceful protest you can't hit me you can't hit me I can block you but you can't hit me peaceful protest peaceful Omg mammy youtube mammy have you all seen this I was hit"

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Just another example of the Gardaí handling a situation badly and allowing rouge elements to get out of control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

phelant wrote: »
    Just another example of the Gardaí handling a situation badly and allowing rouge elements to get out of control.

Rouge. Well la-dee-da.you make it sound so romantic when you say red in french. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If all we have to talk about is a cameraman with a sore leg I think they can call this one a resounding success.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭phelant

Rouge. Well la-dee-da.you make it sound so romantic when you say red in french. :pac:

HaHa. Well spotted. I was talking about his love of the crimson and his effortless attempts to get it flowing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I think some people are finding it difficult to tell the difference between protestors and a member if the press. For their actions anyone in the locality should get it. And if it wasn't a protest by the left they probably wouldn't be on this thread.

Equally as worrying are the ones who still think a Garda is entitled to lash out because someone (in their opinion) has failed to comply to an order. Sure, who wouldn't want a police state?

The individual Garda in those videos was very much out of order. Putting on a uniform does not give anyone free rein to enforce their own version of justice.

If you wanted to be a complete cynic you might even argue that attacking a member of the press is even more sinister than anyone else. Did this Garda not want people to see what he was up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Has the attack been edited out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

http://m.rte.ie/news/2016/0206/765936-protest-pegida-dublin/

This video shows just what the gards had to deal with.

Idiots.

That's like saying there should be camera men in the boxing ring, in the box in a football match, on the track in the 1000 m sprint.

GET REAL

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

phelant wrote: »

In all fairness I think the gardai handled the situation very well. It was one idiot with a baton, the rest did a good job.

Those rent a mob clown who seem to turn up at every protest now need dealing with asap. At the start of the video outside the shop you can hear one of those clowns saying "ah garda, it's not fair, you have weapons and we don't"!!!!

These numpties, with their freeman, free-state nonsense are so stupid they're dangerous. Looking at them it's clear their mammies still dress them in their best tracksuit and hoodie before sending them out with some pocket money for sweets.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Yes it's possible to live in Ireland this day in age without pay for a few weeks!

What day in age is this?

Everyone is entitled to protest, but the Love-Migrant Brigade started the problem, the little angry bastards that they are.

If all we have to talk about is a cameraman with a sore leg I think they can call this one a resounding success.

I think G103 will be doing nothing more than answering the phone for a good long spell after his carryon yesterday.

Garda HQ will want to smooth this over as quick as possible with RTE.

Everyone is entitled to protest, but the Love-Migrant Brigade started the problem, the little angry bastards that they are.

It's ironic that the far right and far left have far more in common with each other than the avaerage person.

The cops in this country are way too soft. There should have been a lot more slaps there yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ezra_pound wrote:
    What day in age is this?

Ah right we 've managed to abolish debt and made everything free so it's possible to live in Ireland without pay for a few weeks!

Ah right we 've managed to abolish debt and made everything free so it's possible to live in Ireland without pay for a few weeks!

Yes... But what does day in age mean?

The so-called anti-fascist movement did not allow PEGIDA to continue on a peaceful protest as they hijacked it like the criminals they are with complete disregard for the right to a peaceful protest. The so-called anti-fascist group stink to high heaven.

If a person creates their own Debt, then they have to deal with it regardless of the situation, you put yourself in that position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Wolf Club

ezra_pound wrote: »
    That's like saying there should be camera men in the boxing ring, in the box in a football match, on the track in the 1000 m sprint.

GET REAL

Utter nonsence, there's a huge difference between an organised sporting event and the chaotic aftermath of a protest. The cameraman would have been briefed to get a close up shot of what's going on. Why else would he have been in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

What was the crack with the "you free state bastards" shouted from the protesters? Was this a Sinn Fein thing? Was waiting to hear west Brit being thrown in there just for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The cameraman was in the wrong place. He made the decision to place himself in danger so I have no sympathy.

you amaze me!
    the camera man needs to record how this manic operates.
    I have a lot of sympathy for him.
    Cops hate to have their misdeeds recorded.

timthumbni wrote: »
    What was the crack with the "you free state bastards" shouted from the protesters? Was this a Sinn Fein thing? Was waiting to hear west Brit being thrown in there just for the craic.

Amazing the Shinners are not to blame for every protest that goes wrong.

As posted by others on 2 pages ago, it's some crackpot group calling themselves Irish Republican Left Action against Facism

A right bunch of knuckle dragging, mouth breathing yahoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

JRant wrote: »
    Amazing the Shinners are not to blame for every protest that goes wrong.

As posted by others on 2 pages ago, it's some crackpot group calling themselves Irish Republican Left Action against Facism

A right bunch of knuckle dragging, mouth breathing yahoos.

That reads like something from Germany in the 30s

That reads like something from Germany in the 30s

They seem like a lovely bunch altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Forgetting about the camera man for a minute. At 17secs on the Irish Times footage a garda starts smacking people from behind as the are walking away. He isn't saying a word. Completely uncalled for, not sure if it is the same one that hits the cameraman but that guy needs to be fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

if a garda lawfully tells you to move,then you have to move,if you square up to the garda and threaten the garda you deserve a tap of the baton ,I have no problem with that,but if you hit some one walking away you or I would be charged with assault so why should a guard be above the law??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z68yTJWXm5g&feature=youtu.be

Watch this and tell me who the fascists really are

Utter nonsence, there's a huge difference between an organised sporting event and the chaotic aftermath of a protest. The cameraman would have been briefed to get a close up shot of what's going on. Why else would he have been in there?

He should have been off to the side recording (which would have given a better view also) or behind the Gardai. Being at the front of the push of rioters is an idiotic place to be and he can have little complaint imo about getting hit.

Would it be fair game for a camera man to be on the front line in a war right in between the soilders and expect not to get shot or blown up... No it wouldn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fair play to the Guards, they did a great job, bloddy hippies causing trouble as usual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement