Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick grab your pitch forks, it's Dustin Hoffman now.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

valoren wrote: »
    "Hey!!!!......I'm **** here!!!!!!!.....I'm **** here!!!!!!!....."

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

splinter65 wrote: »
    What country are you talking about where women have no rights thoughts etc?

Never mind her, she was defending Louise O Neill to the hilt in another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭9or10

Wibbs wrote: »

Mick Jagger at 72 banging a 22 year old(as apparently he's doing as we speak) while more than a bit ugh and cringe inducing is at least, considering his and his environment ethos, not being hypocritical about it.

Thanks Wibbs. Now I'm stuck with that image for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Most people think they have an innate moral compass and they just magically know from within what is right and wrong. And that it is unchanging from one decade to another. Bull****. A lot of your morality/etiquette comes from society and the general consensus, the prevailing standards of the day. Making a rude joke or slapping an ass in the 1980s was reasonably acceptable as evidenced by the fact that he apparently did it in view of many people (who 'burst out laughing').

I think so too. It was different yrs ago.. I've had my bum groped loads of times in my life and I wasn't particularly traumatised. I didn't like it but I never felt it was to upset me and I just slapped whoever did it and forgot all about it. Once a stranger passing with his mate turned around and slapped my bum and not in a friendly cheeky way but I can imagine If id called the guards at the time what their response would've been.
    Maybe I don't know the full story but I think calling this woman a victim of 'sexual assault' is a bit extreme. To broadcast it around the world too for someone who is already world famous....I dunno. If he was an employee in the local dry cleaners would she even think of it again? His comments and behaviour were creepy considering her youth but I'm surprised in that era that she actually went away and cried over it.
    Wonder if she'll have a book out soon? "My rear and Rainman" or "Tootsie and my toot toot" Imo this kind of bandwagon reporting is distracting from the real cases of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Why are people so sure allegations are true? Bizarre. Amy Schumer touches kids by the way

He didn’t deny it. He apologised. She does and was criticised for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Hillary worked all her life to be President. This myth that Hillary somehow has better morals than Trump should be debunked. I have always thought she is worse than Trump and still do. She played a key role in the mess which is now Libya. Even bragged about it which is on Youtube for all to see.

Who did she grope again?

Colonel Gaddafi*

*allegedly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

You rest your case by losing it?

"This verdict is written on a napkin...and it still says guilty....and guilty is spelled wrong"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

But it does mean justice will never be served.

It probably does. I have an ex who was sexually assaulted one night on a bus. It took a lot of encouragement from me to get her to report it. I already had the Gardaí request the CCTV, which showed it happening.
    Unfortunately it was a horrible female Garda that was assigned to take her full statement, she treated my ex as if she deserved what happened and left her waiting three times in the station to make her statement as she just didn't turn up. My ex ended up dropping the whole thing as it was too much for her to deal with emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The guy who did media work involving the egg chasers let's say?

Possibly. He did have a long relationship and kids with a prominent RTE presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Effects wrote: »
    It probably does. I have an ex who was sexually assaulted one night on a bus. It took a lot of encouragement from me to get her to report it. I already had the Gardaí request the CCTV, which showed it happening.
    Unfortunately it was a horrible female Garda that was assigned to take her full statement, she treated my ex as if she deserved what happened and left her waiting three times in the station to make her statement as she just didn't turn up. My ex ended up dropping the whole thing as it was too much for her to deal with emotionally.

I was given solid advice about dealing with Gardai: always have a person present with you. I've been treated poorly by them before but when i brought a witness in with me, the same Garda was a very different person towards me. If it's your complaint against a Garda - forget about it. If you have a witness accompanying you, they'll be a lot 'nicer'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

And Kramer v Kramer and Rainman and Tootsie and All the Presidents Men and Sleepers and Papillon and Strawdogs and The Graduate.
    Otherwise nothing good.

FFS if you're going to mention his great movies, could you at least mention his best.....

large_bYlaGkmseMPGa4zaClL9k9t8qqJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Why hasn't Lena Dunham ever been called out on the stuff she admitted to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Why hasn't Lena Dunham ever been called out on the stuff she admitted to.
    She got a fair bit of flak over it T, but mostly in more conservative news sources and it hasn't done her career any harm. Generally speaking women get more leeway in such matters(and crime in general. Women teachers having sex with underage pupils is finally getting some attention and gaol time, but nearly always far less than if the genders were reversed). Depends on the culture too. EG In the Weinstein case one of his accusers Asia Argento got an awful backlash in Italian media. Basically decided she was a slapper.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I tend to believe more than one independent accuser.

Yes, with Weinstein, the stories are very consistent. Not suspiciously identical either, just very similar. Whereas with the Neil dude, there is just the one story. I’d think the same of Spacey but he didn’t exactly deny it which makes me think it was somewhat normal behaviour for him if he didn’t question it.

I’m a bit concerned about witchhunts. Michael Le Vell lost his job on Corrie a few years ago when there were accusations about him but he was subsequently found innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Wibbs wrote: »
    She got a fair bit of flak over it T, but mostly in more conservative news sources and it hasn't done her career any harm. Generally speaking women get more leeway in such matters(and crime in general. Women teachers having sex with underage pupils is finally getting some attention and gaol time, but nearly always far less than if the genders were reversed). Depends on the culture too. EG In the Weinstein case one of his accusers Asia Argento got an awful backlash in Italian media. Basically decided she was a slapper.

Does Berlusconi still own the media in Italy? I imagine his sympathies would be more with Weinstein than with any of his victims.

Advertisement