Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick grab your pitch forks, it's Dustin Hoffman now.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Sure look at bill clinton. Multiple rape accusations and using and discarding a young intern. And yet this man is still celebrated. There's hope for them all.
    Exposed 'little bill' to a waitress too. Used Arkansas State Police to collect women; drop them off at a 'meeting'; wait and drop them back again after. Slick Willy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

andreoilin wrote: »
    This actually made my stomach churn.

Mine too! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Exposed 'little bill' to a waitress too. Used Arkansas State Police to collect women; drop them off at a 'meeting'; wait and drop them back again after. Slick Willy.

Bill is revered over here with the establishment so his sexual harassment/assaults gets a free pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why do these celebrities basically admit to it? Theres hardly any proof if it was that long ago? Kevin spacey all but admitted as well
    Their PR people are probably advising them to do so.

He was 48 at the time.

If it's true, he's a dirtbag.

Filthy creep. And his mates also! :mad:

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    I was thinking, sure he could only have been in his 20's, but he's fecking 80 now. Holy crap.

Yeah that's lecherous as **** but still very much on the lower end of the scale of what's come out in recent years.

Perhaps. But very disturbing and upsetting for the girl involved.

To me they sound like some stupid jokes where he seemed to be showing off in front of others. it speaks more about the social scene there at the time, than the individual in my opinion.

:mad:

A 48 yo movie star talking to a 17 yo intern like that is a gross abuse of power. Like I said it's on the lower scale of things that have come out but it's still pretty bad. Of course it was "at the time" and there is a little bit of merit in that, but the reason it was like that at the time was because of people like Hoffman making it like that. He held the power and he choose to be a creep.

FFS. She was only seventeen, just out of school, if even so.

Edit: She was still in High School. Only an intern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Ahhhh we'r all just animals dragged out of the caves, and then some egit invented clothes and stuff, then built factories, cars, houses, Aldi etc etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looks like the Oscars will have to forego the segments where a teary actor tell us that we are bad people and we should look to the acting community for moral guidance.

Ah...who am I kidding. It will be an assault on men and clapped by male actors who know themselves that they have skeletons in the closet.

• Advertisement

So the situation at the time was suck someone off or don't get a start? Then by that logic even the really talented ones would have had to. That further reenforces the idea that the whole place stinks and was a misogynistic hell hole for any young woman looking to follow her dreams.

Didn't Marilyn Monroe say that all the film producers and directors treated Hollywood like a brothel?

Hermy wrote: »
    I dare say those being slapped in the ass might disagree.

Exactly. Just because it happened thirty years ago doesn't mean that the women being harassed/demeaned didn't mind. The difference between then and now is that they were expected to suck it up and say nothing! Thankfully, there are now laws which ensure that perpetrators of sexual abuse can be convicted of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

If this wave of outrage had have happen last year Trump wouldn't be President. If it's taken you this long to report something, then you're basically just jumping on the band wagon. This whole me too thing is a load of rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

He was great in Midnight Cowboy.. I could take or leave pretty much everything else he has appeared in.

And in Marathon Man with James Cann, hey that rhymed. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Looks like the Oscars will have to forego the segments where a teary actor tell us that we are bad people and we should look to the acting community for moral guidance.

Ah...who am I kidding. It will be an assault on men and clapped by male actors who know themselves that they have skeletons in the closet.

The Oscars will have the ambiance of a funeral if this carries on until February.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

And in Marathon Man with James Cann, hey that rhymed. :)

And Kramer v Kramer and Rainman and Tootsie and All the Presidents Men and Sleepers and Papillon and Strawdogs and The Graduate.
    Otherwise nothing good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

I rest my case.
    Case closed.

You rest your case by losing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Marvin Gaye, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bill Wyman among a long list of music's miscreants had sex with underage girls. Some as young as 13/14. Yep, Well outa fcuking order. It might well be dodgy if a 60 year old rock star is lusting after 25 year old women, but WTF with 14 year old girls? Who looked like 14 year old girls. IMHO Those sick bastards needed working on with pliers and battery acid.

Never mind that the accusations against Spacey and other older gay guys of trying to get the leg over younger men(above the age of consent), when the average big rock band's backstage shenanigans with older guys and younger women is accepted, even lauded as part of the mythos of being "rock stars".

I think a lot of it is down to the idea that rock stars do rock star things and preach hedonism, whereas Hollywood has long tried to push a different wholesome agenda and image. In the old days it was "American family values", nowadays it's "liberal/right on" values. Mick Jagger at 72 banging a 22 year old(as apparently he's doing as we speak) while more than a bit ugh and cringe inducing is at least, considering his and his environment ethos, not being hypocritical about it.

Bill W married Mandy Smith whom he supposedly started seeing when she was 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,448 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

And Kramer v Kramer and Rainman and Tootsie and Donny Brasco and All the Presidents Men and Sleepers and Papillon and Strawdogs and The Graduate.
    Otherwise nothing good.

Sorry I will also add Little Big Man (sits nicely between Soldier Blue and Dance With Wolves) about the plight of the Red Indians and Wag the Dog (about spin doctoring and concocting a false war, Hoffman playing a hired Hollywood producer to film the war for news agencies) sorry for going off topic its like a RIP thread talking about his films.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Times are a changing fellas. You cant get away with what once was commonplace!

Oh I remember you! You're the one that blames men in general for everything. Well luckily for you the majority of men have no intent on grabbing people without being invited to do so!
    the only thing that was ever going to make men stop was women beginning to talk about it and the world saying it is wrong. What will make men stop is the fear of being charged now.

Have never done it in my life, never would. Only thing making me stop or not doing it in the first place is that I'm not a creepy toe-rag, like most blokes I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Sorry I will also add Little Big Man (sits nicely between Soldier Blue and Dance With Wolves) about the plight of the Red Indians and Wag the Dog (about spin doctoring and concocting a false war, Hoffman playing a hired Hollywood producer to film the war for news agencies) sorry for going off topic its like a RIP thread talking about his films.

Don't forget All The President's Men. He was very good in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

Omackeral wrote: »
    Oh I remember you! You're the one that blames men in general for everything. Well luckily for you the majority of men have no intent on grabbing people without being invited to do so!

Have never done it in my life, never would. Only thing making me stop or not doing it in the first place is that I'm not a creepy toe-rag, like most blokes I know.
    Thats what all the creepy toe rags say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

This stuff is getting more ridiculous by the day. Of course some men took advantage and were sleazy and abusive . But societal mores were different then - just look at an old Benny Hill programme - that was mainstream, prime time viewing then (all arse pinching and breast ogling).
    Not saying that was right but we need to judge with some perspective. All sexual exploitation is wrong but not all sexual exploitation is the same.
    The stuff about Spacey or Hoffmann is tame and too long ago to be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

+++ RIP +++

so sad , condolences to friends, family and colleagues. We will never forget u , he was great in rainman.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

So the situation at the time was suck someone off or don't get a start? Then by that logic even the really talented ones would have had to. That further reenforces the idea that the whole place stinks and was a misogynistic hell hole for any young woman looking to follow her dreams.

Why do you say that? About the really talented ones.Could it not be the case that lots of talented ones never got a start because they refused to suck off some fat ould fella. If the top two won't suck him off but he knows that the slightly less talented number three on the list will.....then maybe that number 3 makes the decision to take her chance and goes on to become that big star.

Imagine a scenario where a director keeps asking every young girl to suck him off and they all say no. How long do you think he lasts? he only lasts long because either (A) he only asks a subset of girls and/or (B) enough of them acquiesce and accept the quid-pro-quo nature of it

I never heard of this Weinstein fella for example. But some of his accusers are quite famous and now powerful and influential in their own right

What are the odds on Dustin the Turkey being next?

I heard he had a few run ins with random chicks back in the day. And he's allegedly a bit of a dirt bird

Jayop wrote:
    Grabbing someone 31 years your younger by the arse on top of the very inappropriate "jokes" put this on the scale.

brooke 2 wrote:
    Filthy creep. And his mates also!

Why are people so sure allegations are true? Bizarre. Amy Schumer touches kids by the way

I never heard of this Weinstein fella for example. But some of his accusers are quite famous and now powerful and influential in their own right

Not even on the same planet. For years in the late 90s and 2000s, he was pretty much the be all and end all. I remember a time when it seemed like every article about a book, a project, an event, anything had "Miramax are said to be interested...", "Miramax will pay $X million..."

Not even on the same planet. For years in the late 90s and 2000s, he was pretty much the be all and end all. I remember a time when it seemed like every article about a book, a project, an event, anything had "Miramax are said to be interested...", "Miramax will pay $X million..."

Well apparently Brad Pitt confronted him over harassing Gweneth Paltrow back in the day. Long before Pitt was famous.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/brad-pitt-harvey-weinstein-gwyneth-paltrow-sexual-harassment-allegations-public-confrontation-a7994221.html

10 years ago both Pitt and Paltrow were huge names. Why couldn't they have spoken out back then about the sexism and bad behaviour? They wouldn't even have had to name Weinstein. Surely they could have done it on a "some big powerful man in the industry" did this and the behaviour is rife basis.

As soon as people went public, his power collapsed. The same would have happened 10/15/20 years ago

Miramax was bought by Disney in 1993.......not so good for the Disney brand (Nazi leanings are forgotten about) to have an outed sexual predator at the helm of one of its companies....how long do you think he'd have lasted if one of those stars had come out 20 years ago?

• Advertisement

Why are people so sure allegations are true? Bizarre. Amy Schumer touches kids by the way

Does she? Do you mean Jimmy Saville style?
    Poor kids. That's disgusting.... I mean it wouldn't be so bad if she lost some fecking weight first*

Or do you mean in the sense that she can connect with them and change their lives for the better? Ditto above

*This is a joke and not a serious statement

Advertisement