Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick grab your pitch forks, it's Dustin Hoffman now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I see a picture of Louis CK on the thread. Isn’t the stuff about him pretty doubtful? AFAIK, it was started by a website that has been caught making up shit in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Jayop wrote: »
    Something like this? Would it even still be within the statute of limitations? What would the offense be? Grabbing her arse once?

If something isn't a crime does that mean it's not wrong?
    Sexual assault on a minor would have no statute of limitations. Methinks the 'severity' of the crime is based on the status of the offender...

Effects wrote: »
    Not all rape victims make statements to the Gardaí. That doesn't make it ok.
    But it does mean justice will never be served.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Hey famous people! (or just people in general)

I find a good general rule for life is to not say or do anything to someone that you wouldn't like said or done to yourself in prison.

It's kind of like the rule of the rock (but more open)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I think it's important that this doesn't turn into some sort of witch pursuit thing.

Agreed. My sister was drunkenly giving out about Neil Degrasse Whatshisface the other night, saying someone accused him of rape, just the one person. I was like “oh right, well, innocent until proven guilty” and she was like “I always believe the accuser”. I was thinking “WTF?”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Agreed. My sister was drunkenly giving out about Neil Degrasse Whatshisface the other night, saying someone accused him of rape, just the one person. I was like “oh right, well, innocent until proven guilty” and she was like “I always believe the accuser”. I was thinking “WTF?”.

Its a very frightening thing isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

thats the outdoor dustin that you saw and knew so well.

its the behind closed doors dustin( kevin harvey etc etc) we are finding out about now.

Ah no not Kevin Harvey now :mad: Are there no heroes left !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

scandal update: Dustin Hoffman sleeps nude in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dramatization, may not have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭TheDavester

KungPao wrote: »
    scandal update: Dustin Hoffman sleeps nude in an oxygen tent which he believes gives him sexual powers.

When Hofffman was asked for comment, "Hey that's a half truth"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

_Dara_ wrote: »

I tend to believe more than one independent accuser.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I tend to believe more than one independent accuser.
    You should mention that to the judge next time youre called up for jury duty.

I always liked Dustin Hoffman. Humanity is disappointing me a lot lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

JMNolan wrote: »
    Dustin Hoffman - “I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."

That's an admission of guilt alright.

I wonder if I went and robbed a back and I was caught could I say thats not really who I am ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

anna080 wrote: »
    "ill have a hard boiled egg and a soft boiled clitorus"

That is really disturbing. Only a fcuked up mind would say something like that.
    It's like something from Silence of the Lambs.

It's like he's got tourretes or something

Sex pest tourretes syndrome

I can see how he got the part in Rainman

Probably playing himself without the innuendo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Well that's disturbing.

Yes, women have been treated like animals for a long time, with no rights, thoughts, or opinions, but hey, it was okay then!

What country are you talking about where women have no rights thoughts etc?

You should mention that to the judge next time youre called up for jury duty.

I’m sure I will. To his delight. You know that’s how people are found guilty, right, of old sexual crimes? Nobody had a camera on Rolf Harris. There’s no dna, no fibres, no bodily fluids, no remaining evidence of years old assaults.

There are, however, lots of accusations amounting to what was considered sufficient evidence of wrong doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

The guy who did media work involving the egg chasers let's say?

You’ll have to do better then that...oh egg chasers....husband just filled me in there (pardon the pun)...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Odhinn

I’m sure I will. To his delight. You know that’s how people are found guilty, right, of old sexual crimes? Nobody had a camera on Rolf Harris. There’s no dna, no fibres, no bodily fluids, no remaining evidence of years old assaults.

There are, however, lots of accusations amounting to what was considered sufficient evidence of wrong doing.

There was a letter to the father of the victim where he admitted to his offence.

Candie wrote: »
    I always liked Dustin Hoffman. Humanity is disappointing me a lot lately.
    Oh come off it! That's the tamest one to date. I hope i get to slap teen a$$ when i'm in my 40's.

(And kudos to you for thinking a person who is paid for pretending to be different people is a good example of humanity. The word 'hypocrite' was the latin word for actor)

Odhinn wrote: »
    There was a letter to the father of the victim where he admitted to his offence.

That’s not the only thing he was convicted off, and he claimed in court the relationship was consummated when she was 18, which the letter neither confirmed nor denied.

Those of you who don’t believe multiple independent accusers should instead make that known to the judge if called to jury service, because you would clearly convict nobody of old sexual crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

JMNolan wrote: »
    Dustin Hoffman - “I have the utmost respect for women and feel terrible that anything I might have done could have put her in an uncomfortable situation. I am sorry. It is not reflective of who I am."

That's an admission of guilt alright.

Why do these celebrities basically admit to it? Theres hardly any proof if it was that long ago? Kevin spacey all but admitted as well

That’s not the only thing he was convicted off, and he claimed in court the relationship was consummated when she was 18, which the letter neither confirmed nor denied.

Those of you who don’t believe multiple independent accusers should instead make that known to the judge if called to jury service, because you would clearly convict nobody of old sexual crimes.
    Ah get off your soapbox. I would convict someone on evidence not solely on the basis of more than one independent accuser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭mikeysmith

wakka12 wrote: »
    Why do these celebrities basically admit to it? Theres hardly any proof if it was that long ago? Kevin spacey all but admitted as well

Because it's probably true and denial fuels the scandal.

Brings the other victims out

Ah get off your soapbox. I would convict someone on evidence not solely on the basis of more than one independent accuser.

You started soapboxing with your bollockingly stupid “tell that to the judge”

There is no physical evidence for old sexual crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Odhinn

There is often evidence that an assault took place, though not obviously of who did it.

I rest my case.
    Case closed.

It’s like 2016 except instead of the celebrities dying, they’re becoming the walking dead.

As for this story, I’m getting the feeling there’s a race on to call out your pervey celeb story. Hopefully this is the beginning and end of it but who knows at this stage

Rock stars have in the main, been absent from these stories so far; I would have thought a lot more stories would have circulated at this stage about them; maybe in the music world it was a more relaxed approach on both sides ; or maybe it’s early days.?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

splinter65 wrote: »
    What country are you talking about where women have no rights thoughts etc?
    Stop with your hard questions S...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rock stars have in the main, been absent from these stories so far; I would have thought a lot more stories would have circulated at this stage about them; maybe in the music world it was a more relaxed approach on both sides ; or maybe it’s early days.?
    Well David Bowie, Jimmy Page, Marvin Gaye, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Bill Wyman among a long list of music's miscreants had sex with underage girls. Some as young as 13/14. Yep, Well outa fcuking order. It might well be dodgy if a 60 year old rock star is lusting after 25 year old women, but WTF with 14 year old girls? Who looked like 14 year old girls. IMHO Those sick bastards needed working on with pliers and battery acid.

Never mind that the accusations against Spacey and other older gay guys of trying to get the leg over younger men(above the age of consent), when the average big rock band's backstage shenanigans with older guys and younger women is accepted, even lauded as part of the mythos of being "rock stars".

I think a lot of it is down to the idea that rock stars do rock star things and preach hedonism, whereas Hollywood has long tried to push a different wholesome agenda and image. In the old days it was "American family values", nowadays it's "liberal/right on" values. Mick Jagger at 72 banging a 22 year old(as apparently he's doing as we speak) while more than a bit ugh and cringe inducing is at least, considering his and his environment ethos, not being hypocritical about it.