Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Schools closed until February? (part 3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Blondini wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a graph, chart or some statistics somewhere that will help?

All about the "Data" but only when it aligns with the point being made 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

All about the "Data" but only when it aligns with the point being made 😆
    Yes that is a feature of this thread!:)

I'm sure there's a graph, chart or some statistics somewhere that will help?

531592.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

531592.png

Ah statistics 101 !

First saw something like that about 35 years ago!

Ah statistics 101 !

First saw something like that about 35 years ago!

Its good to start with the basic. I find it gives a good foundation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Boggles wrote: »
    Whoosh!

yeah exactly you cannot backup your mental claims.

Its good to start with the basic. I find it gives a good foundation

The same applies to mastering the written word.

Have a nice day. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,526 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

yeah exactly you cannot backup your mental claims.

Jaysus. It was a "mental claim" made on purpose to denote sarcasm.

tenor.gif

The same applies to mastering the written word.

Have a nice day. :)

You too Blondini

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

531592.png

LOL.
    Looks like the kind of info nphet are giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Teacher2020

redunited wrote: »
    My oldest comes home every day complaining of how cold the school is because of windows open. How much longer can kids be expected to sit in cold schools trying to learn?

I am at the point where I am now considering removing him because of the cold, I think the law states the average temperature should be at least 17c?
    This it the kind of nonsense that makes my blood boil. Poor Johnny is complaining of the cold! Yes the union says there is a minimum temperature that has to be met - but these are unprecedented times. Do you think I like to be in a freezing cold classroom? I come every day with my base layer on and countless other layers. We are doing our best to keep schools open and here we have parents giving out about being too cold. The advice I have for you is cop on and tell your child to cop on too. If you don't like it don't send them. I'll give the same advice to any parent who complains about the cold to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

redunited wrote: »
    My oldest comes home every day complaining of how cold the school is because of windows open. How much longer can kids be expected to sit in cold schools trying to learn?

I am at the point where I am now considering removing him because of the cold, I think the law states the average temperature should be at least 17c?

Even for adults it is recommended to have higher temperature in the office:

Guide to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application)

While absolute temperature minimum provided in the Guide is 16°C, it is also telling:
    Regulation 7: Room temperature
    It is suggested that for most people an acceptable temperature for office work lies within the range of 18 to 23C. Recommendations for different building uses are available in guidance from CIBSE.

Workers are entitled to have some means readily available to them to measure the temperature. In
    practice, this means that if an employee wants to measure the temperature there will be a thermometer
    readily available.

The General Application Regulations 1993 (S.I. No. 44 of 1993) did not cite
    specific temperatures, leading to some uncertainty as to what was legally required
    or enforceable when dealing with temperature issues; the situation has been
    clarified by the specification of some values in these Regulations.
    The fact that a maximum temperature has not been specified in the Regulations
    does not mean that any temperature is acceptable. At high or uncomfortable
    temperatures, especially when not caused by temporary weather conditions, a
    means of cooling should be provided.

The temperature levels in Regulation 7(1)(b) and (c) are not comfort temperatures
    and do not represent temperatures at which people can work most efficiently.
    The determination of appropriate temperatures is addressed in ISO standard 7730 –
    “Ergonomics of the thermal environment – Analytical determination and
    interpretation of thermal comfort using calculation of the PMV and PPD indices
    and local thermal comfort criteria” – which is available as an Irish standard I.S. EN
    ISO 7730:2005. This is a complex document most likely to be used at the design
    stage or during a technical investigation of a complaint.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Layers is the way forward, thermals and vests and thicker socks and jumpers.

My calendar seem run well ahead - it is 2020 year on it now..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Thats me wrote: »
    Even for adults it is recommended to have higher temperature in the office:

Guide to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application)

While absolute temperature minimum provided in the Guide is 16°C, it is also telling:

Interesting thing about temperatures is that they affect men and women differently. Women often want them warmer as they work better at higher temperatures and men like it cooler.

Also if you are carrying out more creative work it is better to be warmer whereas monotonous tasks cooler to keep you alert.

khalessi wrote: »
    Interesting thing about temperatures is that they affect men and women differently. Women often want them warmer as they work better at higher temperatures and men like it cooler.

Yes, there was relevant study.

But that guide is more about health than comfort. Like any other employee, teachers should have access to thermometer and thermometer better to show temperature above 18.

Guessing for schools should be more specific guidances providing requrements for class room environment.

Smacruairi wrote: »
    We are now at 321 cases in Dublin, despite having level 3 for ages, and a full lockdown for close to a fortnight.

Are you going to deflect again?

Ahem

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1323684420126154753

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Good to see lower cases and less people infected. Hoping that holds out and that they don't surge again. I'm sure the breakdown in contact tracing and the redefinition of close contacts hasn't had an impact on that one at all, particularly when what counts as "community transmission" vs "school transmission" is laughable, but hoping we can keep it that low and not be forced into extended lockdown alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think yesterday's relatively high numbers and today's very low numbers have probably more to do with processing or reporting. The trend seems to be down though which is great.

I see they've changed the reporting to essentially show preschool, primary and the secondary schools.

Should have been like this from the moment schools went back.

• Advertisement

Regardless of our strong differences of opinions, and resulting clashes here on this thread, I think we can all agree it's great to have some positive news about case numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I see they've changed the reporting to essentially show preschool, primary and the secondary schools.

Is that the HSE?

I had noticed the massive drop in what I thought was 5 to 14 but had not copped they had shifted the brackets. Makes sense

khalessi wrote: »
    Is that the HSE?

The HPSC reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Regardless of our strong differences of opinions, and resulting clashes here on this thread, I think we can all agree it's great to have some positive news about case numbers.

It really is, just hoping its true and not some huge fcuk up with hse numbers or contact tracing, finding it hard to believe our inept government and healthcare system is doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

I think the significant reduction in numbers is due to a change in the definition of a positive test using the PCR Test. Initially they were counting weak positives as positives i.e. anything above 35 RT cycles. Someone with a huge viral load in their system would test positive after 20 cycles. Asymptomatic people would only have tiny amounts of the virus in their system and would only test post after 35 cycles. It is my belief that they are now only counting positive cases as those who test positive below 35 cycles. A freedom of information request would be required to try and determine if this is the case but given that they wouldn't even tell the Dail Covid Committee what constituted a positive test I don't think we'll ever find out what is happening. Instead they'll pretend that it is the Level 5 lockdown, which is a lockdown in name only compared to the Spring, which is leading to the massive reduction of cases.
    If you want a detailed explanation of the PCR Test and what I am referring to it is outlined very well here: https://lakartidningen.se/opinion/debatt/2020/09/ct-varden-bor-beaktas-vid-tolkning-av-pcr-resultat/?utm_source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Staff member out today due to fact they are close contact of a suspected case. Small school with 9 teachers. Principal didn't inform staff anything about this. Just wondering what are peoples opinions on this?

The HPSC reporting.

Very kind of them, now they providing dataset with counts of cases split by age bands:

6jghyj.gif

Removing all other groups except 5-14 yrs and 15-24:

vwlmem.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Staff member out today due to fact they are close contact of a suspected case. Small school with 9 teachers. Principal didn't inform staff anything about this. Just wondering what are peoples opinions on this?

TBH There is nothing to report. Nobody has tested positive yet. The suspected case is entitled to privacy, they are not a member of staff. It is not within the remit of the principal to inform other members of staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Sammy2012 wrote: »

I dont see what the principal could do anyway? The teacher is a close contact of a suspected case. Should the teacher even have been out today? I thought it was if you were a close contact of a confirmed case.

Anyway nothing to report imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement