Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

tuxy wrote: »
    Continuing to provide reasonably high data speeds after this cap could make the service unviable.

That's why I was curious to hear from others to figure out whether we are (a) reduced by a percentage of the unthrottled speed or (b) by an absolute amount. I think the percentage way would leave wiggle room to tune throttling so that web-browsing is less affected, whereas the absolute amount could lend credence to your hypothesis about how close the network is cutting things to the bone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

A set limit rather than a percentage would make more sense and be much easier to implement.
    Have you tried speed tests since reaching the cap? And if so is it consistent?
    That said, if it's as slow as you say it is it may be difficult to get an accurate speed test reading.

My phone's data speed is constantly displayed. I've been checking it a lot since the cap. It generally hovers in 30- 36K/s range, sometimes dipping below, sometimes flicking briefly up to 50K/s before returning. Rarely above that.

I tried two speed test websites today, both gave 0.3Mbps down and up.

(Newcomers to this conversation - these are speeds after hitting the 80Gb soft cap, not pre-cap speeds.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Qreq wrote: »
    My phone's data speed is constantly displayed. I've been checking it a lot since the cap. It generally hovers in 30- 36K/s range, sometimes dipping below, sometimes flicking briefly up to 50K/s before returning. Rarely above that.

(Newcomers to this conversation - these are speeds after hitting the 80Gb soft cap, not pre-cap speeds.)

So after you hit the cap, you are throttled to .3Mbps? Is that not 300k? Am I having a dozy arse moment, or is .3 meg not 300k? How can you not survive and load webpages on that? You were clearly told there was a cap of 80gig, and you know your are bursting it. I know a rural area where the BB is 21k. Now THAT is slow

So after you hit the cap, you are throttled to .3Mbps? Is that not 300k? Am I having a dozy arse moment, or is .3 meg not 300k? How can you not survive and load webpages on that? You were clearly told there was a cap of 80gig, and you know your are bursting it. I know a rural area where the BB is 21k. Now THAT is slow

He said 30k so I think that would be .03Mbps
    Enough for some background apps to still function, not much else.

• Advertisement

I too don't understand why my phone says ~30K/s while the website says 0.3Mbps and I experience sluggish browsing. I've checked the numbers again, they are not typos. Perhaps you joined the conversation late - I am fully aware of the cap. The cap is not a hard limit - were you aware of that? That it's not a hard limit is an attractive feature of the offer. I was not posting to complain but rather to hear from other users to determine if we have the same post-cap experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

He said 30k so I think that would be .03Mbps
    Enough for some background apps to still function, not much else.

I am a little confused. He can speedtest at .3 meg, which is 300k, but only gets 30k. Not suitable for anything more than basic browsing though. Perhaps this product is not for you. Its a tenner for 80 gig. Either get a second sim or move to a different product. You cannot complain really for a tenner a month. I have four of these sims.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    This convo should be taken to a different forum like tech or such like really, smashing the 80gb and being throttled is hardly bargain related

Fair enough, Omega. I'll end the throttle chat here. This was already one of my followed threads since before getting a sim so I clicked in with my post without considering the intent of the thread. Apologies.

On topic: My sim arrived in 6 or 7 days if memory serves. It was no problem to activate. Though I'm in a lower speed area, the offer is a good bargain. I'm a little hesitant about porting my number, however I plan to do it at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Invincible

Fair enough, Omega. I'll end the throttle chat here. This was already one of my followed threads since before getting a sim so I clicked in with my post without considering the intent of the thread. Apologies.

On topic: My sim arrived in 6 or 7 days if memory serves. It was no problem to activate. Though I'm in a lower speed area, the offer is a good bargain. I'm a little hesitant about porting my number, however I plan to do it at some point.

I don't see any problem with discussion here, you might get more interest on the Gomo threads in mobile forum though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Patchin

They restricted my speed.when will it speed up again.on the 1st of January I presume/hope.

• Advertisement

Patchin wrote: »
    They restricted my speed.when will it speed up again.on the 1st of January I presume/hope.

What have they restricted your speed to?
    I'm guessing it's the same speed Qreq, can you confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Switched over and found coverage to be pretty poor in some areas especially between Waterford and Dungarvan...total loss of phone services

Yes I have reduced my bill but didn't expect such poor coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭in2dark

What is the cost for calling 1850 numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,103 ✭✭✭✭blade1

in2dark wrote: »

30c a minute

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

I think they are supposed to be included in your call bundle on both mobile and landline.

bromley52 wrote: »
    I think they are supposed to be included in your call bundle on both mobile and landline.

I remember reading an article that since december 2019 comreg forced them to be included in the bundle. Just not sure of the validity of that article

Couldnt find info on gomo website

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭bromley52

I remember reading an article that since december 2019 comreg forced them to be included in the bundle. Just not sure of the validity of that article

Couldnt find info on gomo website
    Since 01Dec19, 1850, 1890 etc are treated as a local calls and thus included in your bundle for mobile and landline.
    Info

bromley52 wrote: »
    Since 01Dec19, 1850, 1890 etc are treated as a local calls and thus included in your bundle for mobile and landline.
    Info

Exactly this article i read. Just cant confirm it with gomo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Exactly this article i read. Just cant confirm it with gomo

Its an comreg directive - no choice for them. They must adhere to it.

Their customer service is actually worse than Eir - must have been the eir rejects they put into the gomo dept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

OmegaGene wrote: »
    It’s on the website on a pdf so no need to contact customer care Just google it

But if you do need to contact their customer service, it is utterly abysmal.

They delivered sim card 3 weeks after I ordered it - prior to delivery i tried to cancel. they would not accept until delivery. Cancelled on day of delivery, got auto response, no further. Sent another email a week later, was asked for information that was actually in the email. Copied and pasted the required info so that it was now twice in the email. No response.

Sent another email. Told it was now outside the 14 day period and a 30 day notice is required.

Pointed out the email thread showing it was requested the day of delivery.

Told again that cancellation requires 30 days notice. Gave a pleasant response back pointing out that this was incorrect. No reply yet and account still active.

Simple rule for me - avoid any company that is connected to eir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭zetor 4911

My three contract ends in April but I'm planning to order a Gomo sim before offer ends. Anytime before Jan 8th is fine? I'll hold onto it and port the three number in April
    Will that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

silver2020 wrote: »
    But if you do need to contact their customer service, it is utterly abysmal.

They delivered sim card 3 weeks after I ordered it - prior to delivery i tried to cancel. they would not accept until delivery. Cancelled on day of delivery, got auto response, no further. Sent another email a week later, was asked for information that was actually in the email. Copied and pasted the required info so that it was now twice in the email. No response.

Sent another email. Told it was now outside the 14 day period and a 30 day notice is required.

Pointed out the email thread showing it was requested the day of delivery.

Told again that cancellation requires 30 days notice. Gave a pleasant response back pointing out that this was incorrect. No reply yet and account still active.

Simple rule for me - avoid any company that is connected to eir.

2 options then I see:

1. Get Comreg involved. That tends to sort these things out in my experience

2. You could try porting out to another Operator's SIM only plan, then cancel that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    Will that work?

Yes

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Porting from Eir to Gomo, will the Gomo sim work in a phone locked to Eir?

TIA

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it.

Porting from Eir to Gomo, will the Gomo sim work in a phone locked to Eir?

TIA

Yes.
    I've a gomo sim working in an Eir hotshot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

blade1 wrote: »
    Yes.
    I've a gomo sim working in an Eir hotshot

:D Stop calling me shirley.......

• Registered Users Posts: 14 missionx

Is there any way to check with GoMo how much of monthly allowance I've used so far?

missionx wrote: »
    Is there any way to check with GoMo how much of monthly allowance I've used so far?

Don't think so.
    Just set your data usage monitor on your device to the 1st of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

missionx wrote: »

Not yet. They will be making this available early in the new year, according to the support agent I spoke to, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Patchin

What have they restricted your speed to?
    I'm guessing it's the same speed Qreq, can you confirm?

.2 mbs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement