Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I’m so happy with the service I’ve ordered a second sim, it’s such a good deal. I must be one of the few that has had zero issues moving numbers. I actually forgot to pay the bill on December the 8th and they didn’t cut me off or limit my service til I paid yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Exactly what I just said.....

It's the exact opposite of what you said. You said they were the same company. They are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

GarIT wrote: »
    It's the exact opposite of what you said. You said they were the same company. They are not.

They are, eir, eir open, GoMo all under this like meteor was too.

Just a different brand.

I answered their question correctly as you can only deal online and Eir shops have nothing to do with GoMo as it's a different entity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Roaming in the UK is free up until the 31st of Jan, after which you will have to pay for it just like going to the US or Australia. Roaming in the EU will remain free.

How can you be so sure there will be a no deal brexit and not an organised withdrawal of one year or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭garyfleming7

Can I request a new number and then port my own number at a later date?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can I request a new number and then port my own number at a later date?

>>>GoMo FAQ thread in Mobile forum

You order a sim card
    It will have a new number on it.
    You can use that number if you wish, till you decide to port your exiting number to that sim card

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

tuxy wrote: »
    How can you be so sure there will be a no deal brexit and not an organised withdrawal of one year or more?

It looks like there will be with the WA bill being passed in the UK. But it doesn't change the fact that the UK will no longer be a member of the EU on Jan31st.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭Zardoz

I signed up my mother for this on Nov 29th saying I wanted to port over at a later date .
    They sent out the SIM quickly enough and debited the 9.99 in early December.
    I cant login to the account though as whilst the username and password are correct the date of birth I enter is giving an error.
    Really stupid design .

I tried to reset the password but you need to enter the date of birth for this too.
    If I try to contact them it looks for the date of birth too .
    Effectively being charged for a service that hasnt been activated ,the number hasnt ported over.

It looks like there will be with the WA bill being passed in the UK. But it doesn't change the fact that the UK will no longer be a member of the EU on Jan31st.

Nate

If you're right then then EU law will continue to apply in the UK for at least 12 months while they withdraw even if they are no longer considered an EU member.

If you're right then then EU law will continue to apply in the UK for at least 12 months while they withdraw even if they are no longer considered an EU member.

It's not entirely clear. At most there will be until the end of the withdrawal agreement before roming in the UK becomes paid. Three had free roaming in the UK before EU laws so may contiunue after.

• Advertisement

Yes it is very unclear and the UK will probably decide to opt in on many regulations.
    Also the telecom companies may come to their own deal.
    I think the chance of no roaming fees is higher than them being reintroduced but no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Mobile operators have committed to no roaming charges after Brexit. https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/irish-mobile-operators-rule-out-return-of-mobile-roaming-fees-after-brexit-37979568.html

Irish customers will continue to get inclusive romaing in the EU, EEA and UK post Brexit.

JTMan wrote: »
    Mobile operators have committed to no roaming charges after Brexit. https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/irish-mobile-operators-rule-out-return-of-mobile-roaming-fees-after-brexit-37979568.html

Irish customers will continue to get inclusive romaing in the EU, EEA and UK post Brexit.

Doesn't apply to Gomo, 48, Virgin, Tesco or An Post

Is GOMO a part of the Eir company or completely separate?
    A spokesman for Ireland’s third largest mobile operator Eir (formerly Meteor) said that the company has “no plans” to introduce roaming after Brexit.

Is GOMO a part of the Eir company or completely separate?

Completely separate, same owner and they share infrastructure. Something that applies to Eir does not necessarily apply to Gomo. They already have differences in pricing and 5G

It's interesting that the quote is wrong too. Eir isn't formerly Meteor. Eir is formerly Eircom, and in the mobile space formerly eMobile. They bought and absorbed Meteor. If you dig down into the settings on Gomo SIMs it appears they are a rebirth of Meteor, some people's phones were even displaying Meteor as their network when they switched to Gomo.

On the 15th October there were a few crappy sites with adverts(disguised as articles) for GOMO all with the same info about no roaming charges in the UK after Brexit. Since all the info lines up there is a good chance it came from GOMO themselves.

Here's two, I'm sure there are more.

https://fora.ie/gomo-new-mobile-network-eir-4851824-Oct2019/
    https://goosed.ie/new-irish-mobile-network-gomo-unveiled/

On the 15th October there were a few crappy sites with adverts(disguised as articles) for GOMO all with the same info about no roaming charges in the UK after Brexit. Since all the info lines up there is a good chance it came from GOMO themselves.

Here's two, I'm sure there are more.

https://fora.ie/gomo-new-mobile-network-eir-4851824-Oct2019/
    https://goosed.ie/new-irish-mobile-network-gomo-unveiled/

I think it is just a case of waiting and seeing. The first link says that Gomo will get 5G at the same time as Eir which didn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Completely separate, same owner and they share infrastructure. Something that applies to Eir does not necessarily apply to Gomo. They already have differences in pricing and 5G

It's interesting that the quote is wrong too. Eir isn't formerly Meteor. Eir is formerly Eircom, and in the mobile space formerly eMobile. They bought and absorbed Meteor. If you dig doing into the settings on Gomo SIMs it appears they are a rebirth of Meteor, some people phones were even displaying Meteor as their network originally.

My number was originally Meteor ported back after 15 odd years or more went to set up voicemail, no need it's all still as I left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I’m so happy with the service I’ve ordered a second sim, it’s such a good deal. I must be one of the few that has had zero issues moving numbers. I actually forgot to pay the bill on December the 8th and they didn’t cut me off or limit my service til I paid yesterday.

GoMo automatically take the amount due from your registered credit/debit card. If you paid manually you have probably paid twice.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just because those companies aren't mentioned in that article, you can be sure it the main providers aren't bringing back roaming charges, no one will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Silky question but I have my own gomo SIM

Also ordered another sim via my account for my mam who's number I'll port, will that be ok?

I'm happy pay both from my card so I assume there will be no issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Also ordered another sim via my account for my mam who's number I'll port, will that be ok?

I have done the same, you can have two from the same account

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭somebody_else

Yes it will work.

I have my son number on my account and my wife have our daughter on hers account.

But you need to very careful when selecting which number port to.

Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Roaming in the UK is free up until the 31st of Jan, after which you will have to pay for it just like going to the US or Australia. Roaming in the EU will remain free.

I believe the networks are keeping the free UK roaming and in any case it wouldn't end until the end of 2020 at the very least as the UK is still tied into EU rules until that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Can anybody tell me if GoMo has wifi calling?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭winter2019

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me if GoMo has wifi calling?

They don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Is there a reason you'd need WiFi calling when u have free calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭keos

blade1 wrote: »
    Is there a reason you'd need WiFi calling when u have free calls?
    When mobile network coverage is poor in your location, calling over wi-fi could be an option.
    Calls over wi-fi are charged same way as calls over mobile network (at least when you not roaming)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ported over to gomo on Saturday. No issues so far, data speed way faster than what i had previously with 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

keos wrote: »
    When mobile network coverage is poor in your location, calling over wi-fi could be an option.
    Calls over wi-fi are charged same way as calls over mobile network (at least when you not roaming)

Yep ****e reception in my local area ... no matter what network I go with.

Wifi calling saves a trip out the back garden to take a call :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement