Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Yep ****e reception in my local area ... no matter what network I go with.

Wifi calling saves a trip out the back garden to take a call :D

Could you use WhatsApp calls?
    I had Eir with WiFi calling activated and the signal was still,crap.
    I use WhatsApp calls when in that situation at home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

kceire wrote: »
    Could you use WhatsApp calls?
    I had Eir with WiFi calling activated and the signal was still,crap.
    I use WhatsApp calls when in that situation at home now.

I believe the other person would have to have WhatsApp. So calls to landlines etc... would be off the table.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    As far as I know you can ring landlines with viber and a few other apps with WiFi

For free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

cronos wrote: »
    For free?

No, I don't think that business model would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

For free?

No. Viber Out is for numbers not connected to viber/whatsapp etc incl landlines. Very cheap but Irish mobiles are noticeably more expensive than most. Really handy calling from abroad with local wifi etc.

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    No, I don't think that business model would work.

I'm aware. It's just the reason people want GoMo to get WiFi support. But yes it's an alternative in the meantime I understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,395 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I'm aware. It's just the reason people want GoMo to get WiFi support. But yes it's an alternative in the meantime I understand.

Its an extremely limited use case though. I wouldn't be holding out waiting for GoMo support for it for a tenner a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Mountainrescue

Caution needed signing up. I'm 19days without service and on my third sim card. Customer service was ok but as this has gone on it's got much worse. Sticking with it as I want the 9.99 but patience is been tested

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Caution needed signing up. I'm 19days without service and on my third sim card. Customer service was ok but as this has gone on it's got much worse. Sticking with it as I want the 9.99 but patience is been tested

If you've been in touch and allowed them 14 days you can ask comreg to step in. They will and it will be sorted very quickly. When they're back working they have a chat function as well. They're Irish based call centre as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Berty wrote: »
    If you've been in touch and allowed them 14 days you can ask comreg to step in. They will and it will be sorted very quickly. When they're back working they have a chat function as well. They're Irish based call centre as well.

Can you sign up and then port months later, like in July?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Can you sign up and then port months later, like in July?

Yes, but youll be paying 9.99 a month from the following month after you join up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Yep ****e reception in my local area ... no matter what network I go with.

Wifi calling saves a trip out the back garden to take a call :D

I use this device and I can make and recieve calls on my landline when I am overseas. This is like the wifi calling except it is connected to your landline.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/invoxia-Voice-Bridge-Landline-Mobile/dp/B00VEJBKJQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

It's probably been covered but there's an awful lot of pages to read, if I sign up for this is there any issue with waiting 4 months to port my number when my current contract is up. Obviously I'll have to pay the 4 months but that's grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

It's probably been covered but there's an awful lot of pages to read, if I sign up for this is there any issue with waiting 4 months to port my number when my current contract is up. Obviously I'll have to pay the 4 months but that's grand

That will not be a problem, you are good to go.

Just signup before Jan 8th to avail of the €9.99 for life

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Perfect, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Does anybody know about the roaming charges in the UK?

I'm driving through Northern Ireland next week and don't want to run up a bill.

I contacted gomo and got this reply but I'm unclear whether calls are covered as well

"Your bundle includes Unlimited Calls, Texts and Data. It also includes 10GB of EU roaming. All for just 9.99 per month forever."

I've generally been very happy with the service .... the only issue I have is on the contact form when I have to set my date of birth ....is there a shortcut instead of tapping back monthly through the years?

at my age I can take a long time 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

They have answered you already and it’s very clear - calls texts and 10gb of data while roaming

Thanks I read only the 10 GB as applying to roaming

I can see where the confusion comes from they didn't really phrase it correctly but that is what they meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

carolmon wrote: »
    Does anybody know about the roaming charges in the UK?

I'm driving through Northern Ireland next week and don't want to run up a bill.

I contacted gomo and got this reply but I'm unclear whether calls are covered as well

"Your bundle includes Unlimited Calls, Texts and Data. It also includes 10GB of EU roaming. All for just 9.99 per month forever."

I've generally been very happy with the service .... the only issue I have is on the contact form when I have to set my date of birth ....is there a shortcut instead of tapping back monthly through the years?

at my age I can take a long time 🙄

I use gomo in the North all the time with no extra charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,268 ✭✭✭✭ted1

For free?

Virgin have an app that there customers can use to make it appear as it’s coming from the house phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Has anyone from Donegal tried GoMo?
    Specifically the inishowen area? Thanks, just wanted to know what the quality is like over here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭ei9go

ted1 wrote: »
    Virgin have an app that there customers can use to make it appear as it’s coming from the house phone

They ended that about 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

My number ported over to gomo this morning and service is fine
    iMessage activation seems to be a problem for me though, ah well always what’s app I guess

There are workarounds to get iMessage going again. Sometimes it works by just switching the phone on and off again, or you may have to sign out of iCloud and back in again. A quick search on Google will give you the options but you can get it working again.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

I got my sim at the start of December. I was disappointed to find the internet speed with GoMo is low in my area. I dove in anyway and have reached the 80GB soft cap. Now I am being throttled to the dial-up modem speeds of decades ago. While throttled, a lot of websites take ages to load (GoMo's site took 27 seconds), I can watch the individual elements of websites populate, pictures build line-by-line, and YouTube videos don't buffer enough to be reliably stutter-free at the lowest resolution of 144p.

I wonder if GoMo throttles by
    (a) a fixed percentage of the unthrottled speed (meaning those with an unthrottled fast connection are not punished as harshly as those with slow connections),

or,

(b) by an absolute amount meaning all cap-reachers, regardless of their unthrottled speed, are brought to their dial-up knees when the cap is reached.

If (a), it would be nice if GoMo users in low-speed areas were not throttled so punishingly. A fixed percentage is not fixed in its effects on people with different starting conditions. A throttled connection that had been high-speed could be faster than an unthrottled low-speed connection if that was the case.

If (b), the consequences for reaching the "soft" cap are too severe in my opinion. Surely a less severe throttling would free up the network plenty without the need to bring us back to a 1990s web experience.

To be clear, I'm grateful for the GoMo offering and that data hasn't been completely cut-off nor costly to keep using, but I have been surprised by the reduction to barely usable speeds for web navigation.

Can anyone who has reached the 80GB threshold share whether their throttling experience is the same as mine or less harsh?

Qreq wrote: »
    If (b), the consequences for reaching the "soft" cap are too severe in my opinion. Surely a less severe throttling would free up the network plenty without the need to bring us back to a 1990s web experience.

To be clear, I'm grateful for the GoMo offering and that data hasn't been completely cut-off nor costly to keep using, but I have been surprised by the reduction to barely usable speeds for web navigation.

Can anyone who has reached the 80GB threshold share whether their throttling experience is the same as mine or less harsh?

It's not just network capacity, they have to pay for bandwidth used the same as any ISP. There can't be much profit margin at the monthly price they offer to their customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I got my sim at the start of December. I was disappointed to find the internet speed with GoMo is low in my area. I dove in anyway and have reached the 80GB soft cap. Now I am being throttled to the dial-up modem speeds of decades ago. While throttled, a lot of websites take ages to load (GoMo's site took 27 seconds), I can watch the individual elements of websites populate, pictures build line-by-line, and YouTube videos don't buffer enough to be reliably stutter-free at the lowest resolution of 144p.

I wonder if GoMo throttles by
    (a) a fixed percentage of the unthrottled speed (meaning those with an unthrottled fast connection are not punished as harshly as those with slow connections),

or,

(b) by an absolute amount meaning all cap-reachers, regardless of their unthrottled speed, are brought to their dial-up knees when the cap is reached.

If (a), it would be nice if GoMo users in low-speed areas were not throttled so punishingly. A fixed percentage is not fixed in its effects on people with different starting conditions. A throttled connection that had been high-speed could be faster than an unthrottled low-speed connection if that was the case.

Harsh would be cutting you off entirely or charging you a sky high out of bundle per Mb rate as other providers do.

It's a bit rich to be demanding uncharged access above the cap while also expecting solutions to network congestion when you are a disproportionately heavy user to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Martin Tyler AgueroooOO

Great bargain for me at 9.99 saving €20 great speeds and coverage after moving from 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

My three contract ends in April but I'm planning to order a Gomo sim before offer ends. Anytime before Jan 8th is fine? I'll hold onto it and port the three number in April

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Harsh would be cutting you off entirely or charging you a sky high out of bundle per Mb rate as other providers do.

I did say I was grateful that those were not the consequences in my original post. Let's not forget that GoMo's marketing and terms touted that the 80GB is not a hard cap. Users can expect to use data to a limited (throttled) degree after the 80GB. That expectation is reasonable since it's part of the attraction of the offer.

It's a bit rich to be demanding uncharged access above the cap while also expecting solutions to network congestion when you are a disproportionately heavy user to begin with.

I did not demand (again the soft cap was in GoMo's initial marketing and terms) - perhaps you read a tone in my post that I did not intend. I said, "Surely a less severe throttling would free up the network plenty without the need to bring us back to a 1990s web experience." and that I was "surprised by the reduction to barely usable speeds for web navigation." "Uncharged access above the cap" (as you phrased it) is part of the offer, and throttling is the solution implemented by GoMo (not demanded by me). The degree of throttling is not specified. I believe throttling can be tuned to varying degrees. If it were tuned to a degree which did not affect simple web navigation, that would be nice.

• Advertisement

I did not demand (again the soft cap was in GoMo's initial marketing and terms) - perhaps you read a tone in my post that I did not intend. I said, "Surely a less severe throttling would free up the network plenty without the need to bring us back to a 1990s web experience." and that I was "surprised by the reduction to barely usable speeds for web navigation." "Uncharged access above the cap" (as you phrased it) is part of the offer, and throttling is the solution implemented by GoMo (not demanded by me). The degree of throttling is not specified. I believe throttling can be tuned to varying degrees. If it were tuned to a degree which did not affect simple web navigation, that would be nice.

None of us have access to the cost structure of the gomo service, for all we know they could be running at a loss for the customers who hit the 80GB cap. Continuing to provide reasonably high data speeds after this cap could make the service unviable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement