Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing hoodies in the gym

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

rusty cole wrote: »
    -

why is having an opinion on it such a black mark against me? its just an opinion, based on my experience, I'm in northwood and flyefit so if you class it as gimpsville then, again, that's your opinion.

you can stalk my remarks on other threads and quote all you want, I'm speaking in the context of this thread. WTF..It's always the same on these fitness threads, the usual crowd not taking a point from us mere mortals, getting the hump and then all backslapping each other with thanks!!

I dont think there's really anything wrong with wearing a hoodie, leggings, a tutu or leather chaps. What I don't like is bad manners hence my remarks on eponymous "bad behaviour thread". I suppose you'd call me an arse if I kindly asked you not to include me and half the gym in your selfies too eh.

Easy there horse. I left this open because it's light hearted. If it starts engendering ill will towards either regular or newer posters I'll lock and delete it. Everyone is welcome here, everyone deserves an opinion, but let's keep it polite.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,558 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

-

why is having an opinion on it such a black mark against me? its just an opinion, based on my experience, I'm in northwood and flyefit so if you class it as gimpsville then, again, that's your opinion.

you can stalk my remarks on other threads and quote all you want, I'm speaking in the context of this thread. WTF..It's always the same on these fitness threads, the usual crowd not taking a point from us mere mortals, getting the hump and then all backslapping each other with thanks!!

I dont think there's really anything wrong with wearing a hoodie, leggings, a tutu or leather chaps. What I don't like is bad manners hence my remarks on eponymous "bad behaviour thread". I suppose you'd call me an arse if I kindly asked you not to include me and half the gym in your selfies too eh.

I asked why it's such a black mark in your eyes that someone has a structured program, needs a lot of weight and does a lot of volume.

Not whatever you misread it as saying.

But well done on the insults. Cutting.

thanks Brian, yes it's light hearted but as you can see even the casual drop in has noted how easily insulted regulars in this thread get, and how they seem to have the mods ears, at times.

to start from fresh then. I personally dont think gym attire is even worthy of debate, I've heard people take issue with hoodies to GAA shorts to full face's of make up etc, that stuff wouldn't even raise my radar. It's the hogging all the weights and not allowing newbies to work in, the taking selfies which include passers by who like their privacy by the way, the walking up a packed gym on your HANDS like a carnie or fossets juggler, the running around gym mats in your bare smelly feet and just the lack of common sense, consideration and cop-on that bothers me really.

apologies if I offended ALF I just felt the mention of my post on a previous thread, well... bordered on the personal to be fair. I'm sure you're lovely so let's shake on it and grow as people, what's say you.

back to topic, no bones broken and all that. :-)

thanks Brian, yes it's light hearted but as you can see even the casual drop in has noted how easily insulted regulars in this thread get, and how they seem to have the mods ears, at times.

to start from fresh then. I personally dont think gym attire is even worthy of debate, I've heard people take issue with hoodies to GAA shorts to full face's of make up etc, that stuff wouldn't even raise my radar. It's the hogging all the weights and not allowing newbies to work in, the taking selfies which include passers by who like their privacy by the way, the walking up a packed gym on your HANDS like a carnie or fossets juggler, the running around gym mats in your bare smelly feet and just the lack of common sense, consideration and cop-on really that bothers me really.

apologies if I offended ALF I just felt the mention of my post on a previous thread, well... bordered on the personal really. I'm sure you're lovely so let's shake on it and grow as people, what's say you.

back to topic, no bones broken and all that. :-)

I wasn't having a go at you. We're largely in agreement.

I just wondered why following a programme and using what they need is bad behaviour. Unless it's just the general behaviour of people you have in mind from your gym who are generally arsey along with the above.

Group hug and move on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Running around gym mats in bare feet sounds yuck

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Running around gym mats in bare feet sounds yuck

It's liberating

they/them/theirs

I wasn't having a go at you. We're largely in agreement.

I just wondered why following a programme and using what they need is bad behaviour. Unless it's just the general behaviour of people you have in mind from your gym who are generally arsey along with the above.

Group hug and move on!

ah I see, ok. No I actually have a really structured regimen, I use my stopwatch between sets and all that, and I train hard. I just have, on occasion asked If I could work in with the same type of lads (heavy lifters) and found them less accommodating than I'd expect, not a black mark but just my experience. I'll let anyone work in or I'll share weights when scarce too, sometime to my detriment but you live and learn and all that.

realistically there's more sound people in the gyms than idiots but such is the nature of the idiocy that it sticks on the floor like a stain, so you remember it more. it's funny most times but like the feet thing and the taking photos in "CHANGING ROOMS" that to me is just not acceptable.

anyways so HOOODIES eh, who knew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Using the hair dryer to dry nether regions openly in the dressing room makes my soul shudder on a regular basis,
    i went to the gym last night and could hardly get in it was that busy, roll on feb when it gets back to normal

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Using the hair dryer to dry nether regions openly in the dressing room makes my soul shudder on a regular basis,
    i went to the gym last night and could hardly get in it was that busy, roll on feb when it gets back to normal

northwood by chance?? I was in Northwood last night and had to do the mandatory stalk and strike, to get a parking space. Inside was pretty packed alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Hi Rusty, No Ben dunnes in Carlisle, it was madness i've never seen so many people.
    It's like every january i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Hi Rusty, No Ben dunnes in Carlisle, it was madness i've never seen so many people.
    It's like every january i guess

Same in Cherrywood. Never seen it as busy, roll on Feb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

i use a hoodie less than when i first started in the gym, firstly to cover myself up (most gym gear tends to be tight and unflattering to a 20 stone 5ft body)
    now i use it to either keep myself warm (the gym im in is in an old industrial estate and has a massive sliding door thingi thats open 90% of the time even in winter for the lads to do their lunges and random bits and to stop the place smelling like death) 
    i often wear it spinning as the lights in the spinning studio are blinding so i pop in the earphones throw up the hood and cycle away to my little hearts content.
    dont think it actually aids in weight loss sweat wise but it quickly gets thrown up during super sets or HIIT workouts or threadmill sprints..

but i wouldnt judge anyone wearing a hoodie, im alot more repulsed by the bare feet i see  (gawk)

i use a hoodie less than when i first started in the gym, firstly to cover myself up (most gym gear tends to be tight and unflattering to a 20 stone 5ft body)
    now i use it to either keep myself warm (the gym im in is in an old industrial estate and has a massive sliding door thingi thats open 90% of the time even in winter for the lads to do their lunges and random bits and to stop the place smelling like death) 
    i often wear it spinning as the lights in the spinning studio are blinding so i pop in the earphones throw up the hood and cycle away to my little hearts content.
    dont think it actually aids in weight loss sweat wise but it quickly gets thrown up during super sets or HIIT workouts or threadmill sprints..

but i wouldnt judge anyone wearing a hoodie, im alot more repulsed by the bare feet i see  (gawk)

I don't think the poster was including your reasons in the post. I interpret them as only speaking about the jacked up lads walking round with 1000 yard stares, wearing hoodies. Your reason based on location alone (your size is none of anyone business so don't mind anyone who ever comments on you about it)

I trained in a gym like that and often wore leggings and a long sleeve sweat shirt and hoody too, sparring, until I broke a sweat.,
    wide open door, freezing cold, used to be a freezer/cold storage building

maybe this whole thread belongs in a fashion thread, that's actually what I thought yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Armand Tamzarian

Hoodies aren't too bad. I've been knocking around gyms for 20+ years now and ive seen people wear all kinds of mad stuff. My favorite of all time was bout 10 years ago in a well known city center gym. Out of the corner of my eye i noticed a man in his 50s with an enormous beer belly ,what i thought was a flesh colored t shirt , dress shoes and a pair of really tight GAA shorts walk over to the treadmill and start a brisk walk. On closer inspection the flesh colored t shirt was just in fact his flesh. There was a poor girl on the treadmill beside him who didn't Know where to look. Eventually a member of staff came over and i presume told him to put on a t shirt. Never saw him again.
    So yeah. Be thankful for hoodies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Hoodies aren't too bad. I've been knocking around gyms for 20+ years now and ive seen people wear all kinds of mad stuff. My favorite of all time was bout 10 years ago in a well known city center gym. Out of the corner of my eye i noticed a man in his 50s with an enormous beer belly ,what i thought was a flesh colored t shirt , dress shoes and a pair of really tight GAA shorts walk over to the treadmill and start a brisk walk. On closer inspection the flesh colored t shirt was just in fact his flesh. There was a poor girl on the treadmill beside him who didn't Know where to look. Eventually a member of staff came over and i presume told him to put on a t shirt. Never saw him again.

If he hadn't got an enormous beer belly would it have been an issue that he didn't have a t-shirt on though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

You never know I'm 7 stone lighter now and lift heavy he could be talking about me...
    As for the guy running topless grrreoosssss

ha ha brilliant, sounds like a hidden camera show but brilliant just the same.
    Yeah I seen an Asian guy get the hump because he strolled in and hopped onto a treadmill, barefoot! I **** you not... and was asked to put on appropriate shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

no it my experience. More often than not, they have set routines, use tons of weights, do huge amounts of sets and are very particular about who they let work on, because of this, they're not the soundest.

They're not arseholes either but in my experience, not the soundest. most of the GAA lads are sound, often working up in the big shmoke and are good laugh but seriously hard trainers.

I think comparing GAA people who see weightlifting as an accessory to their sport to the standard of bodybuilder/powerlifter you'd get in Dublin is quite unfair. These people are there plying their trade and mean serious business, of course they're going to have very strict routines and probably a scowl on their face for most of the time - it's freaking hard work! The groups of GAA lads although probably having a laugh and more fun but they're not there for business like the other lads - if they've an average workout it doesn't directly translate to a bad performance on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I've seen guys wear hoodies in the gym doing weights with the hood up. Then it comes off when they're doing bicep curls and back on again when they move to some other exercise!

I don't really care what other people do in the gym, I just find it odd!

yep I've seen that too myself and I've seen lads walk round with their shorts hiked up to their crotch on leg day once they're pumped up, maybe there's an explanation I'm overlooking so.

• Advertisement

Id assume putting the hood up happens for squats so the bar is resting on your back rather than the hood getting in the way.

Id assume putting the hood up happens for squats so the bar is resting on your back rather than the hood getting in the way.

At this point wouldn't one be better to dispense with the hooded jumper?

The only time I put the hood up on mine is when I'm pretending to be Obi Wan Kenobi.

they/them/theirs

yep I've seen that too myself and I've seen lads walk round with their shorts hiked up to their crotch on leg day once they're pumped up, maybe there's an explanation I'm overlooking so.

It's a display of dominance, similar to a peacocks tail feathers. It's inviting conflict with other males of breeding age with smaller, less veinous quadriceps.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    At this point wouldn't one be better to dispense with the hooded jumper?

Definitely. I occasionally wear one and take it off once I'm warmed up but I never wear it if I'm squatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why do you care?
    What does it matter?
    Why are you even posting that here?
    How about mind your own business.

You are fairly good at the questions yourself, how about you take a leaf out of your own book and mind your own buisness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Just lads thinking they look hardcore, nothing to do with being warm in the gym. Not something which would bother me, kinda like lads walking around wearing lifting belts and gloves, or Tapout gear.

I've even seen lads come into Northwood wearing MMA gloves LOL.

You mean like Rocky Balboa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

id imagine they wear gloves because they prefer to lift weights wearing gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I couldn't give a monkeys what people wear to the gym .. and I sometimes wear a hoodie with the hood up .. especially when it's cold and also as I sweat at the thoughts of going to the gym so the hood is a handy barrier from leaving slug like crap all over the equipment.

If it is cold and I am squatting the hood goes up for obvious reasons.

Sometimes I deadlift in socks ... its not a fashion show .. its a place to get in, train and go home.

I can't understand why it would bother anyone

I was squatting a few weeks ago and the area is moved near the door. it's not like being on a rower or tread mill so you can get a bit chilly. I went in and threw a thin hoody on for the duration and yes you're correct, the hood annoyed the hell outa me, in terms of bar placement. I didn't put it up though but in this instance I can easily see it being done. plus it can act like blinkers, if you really need to concentrate I'd imagine. actually psychologically it can say to weirdo's, stay away, I'm training! so works both ways maybe.

• Advertisement

actually psychologically it can say to weirdo's, stay away, I'm training! so works both ways maybe.

It can also say "he's a weirdo...I'd better stay away".

Either way, win.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement