Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing hoodies in the gym

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I wear a hoody (hood down, always). Baffled as to why it bothers some people. I find hoody's a really comfortable item of clothing in general. Of course if I get too hot I take it off.

Why anyone would think an item of sports clothing looks out of place in a gym is bizarre.

People wearing beanies in the gym - whole different matter.

People have cold heads too. :) Or just bad hair days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

pilly wrote: »
    Why is it a deliberate "designer skanger" look? That's what I don't get. Some people find them comfy, that's why the wear them, it's actually not easy to buy a sweatshirt now that doesn't have a hood I find. (I don't wear hoodies in the traditional sense btw but do wear the ones that zip off)

Ah there are definitely some gyms that are quite cold first thing in the morning, like any place.

I don't get it either. The hoodie top, and track suit for that matter, are sports clothing, what is the problem with sports clothing to the gym? Whats next? Slagging the lads in the fast lane of the swimming pool for wearing speedos?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Ignoring cardio for a second (or forever :D) what are people who don't like hoodies proposing as an alternative when the gym is really cold? I rarely wear one there myself but do have long sleeve top I put over my t-shirt when it's cold.

The only thing that visually offends me is when guys wear leggings with nothing over them. Reminds me of this but worse at the front
    latest?cb=20141204210243

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've absolutely no issue with people wearing anything they want in the gym. Even if it is a little bizarre, I'm not judging them, I'm just curious.

But the sleeveless t shift with a hood! Who thought this was a good idea? When had your head been cold enough to wear a hood but your arms are too hot for sleeves?

I'm judging this item of clothing harshly, not the people who wear it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Brian? wrote: »
    I've absolutely no issue with people wearing anything they want in the gym. Even if it is a little bizarre, I'm not judging them, I'm just curious.

But the sleeveless t shift with a hood! Who thought this was a good idea? When had your head been cold enough to wear a hood but your arms are too hot for sleeves?

I'm judging this item of clothing harshly, not the people who wear it.

Used see lads wearing them boxing training. The gym was pretty cold and they didn't want their arms restricted by a long-sleeve version, was the rationale.

Makes sense I guess. If only cos the ones I've seen are Lonsdale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

Not something which would bother me, kinda like lads walking around wearing lifting belts and gloves, or Tapout gear.

I've even seen lads come into Northwood wearing MMA gloves LOL.

What's wrong with wearing gloves? I feel I have a much better grip on weights when wearing gloves and don't sweat.
    On top of that considering that 50% of people out there don't wash their hands after they go for a pee that alone is a good reason to wear gloves.

OK, MMA gloves is obviously retarded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

I don't get it either. The hoodie top, and track suit for that matter, are sports clothing, what is the problem with sports clothing to the gym? Whats next? Slagging the lads in the fast lane of the swimming pool for wearing speedos?

Speedos !! Come on, no man in their right mind should wear these.
    Apart from that, i couldn't care less what anyone wears

TripleAce wrote: »
    What's wrong with wearing gloves? I feel I have a much better grip on weights when wearing gloves and don't sweat.

Chalk. Gloves are only marginally better for grip than sweaty hands. But grip is never going to be particularly good when you have material between hand and bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I wore a hoodie when training tonight, because the place was freezing. I put the hood up while squatting, for obvious reasons.

I desperately hope this doesn't make me a shaper, particularly as I was training alone in my own gym.

(Walking around a commercial gym with your hood up? That does make you come across as a shaper, and I can only assume it's what anyone's talking about when they ask why people wear hoodies in gyms. Otherwise I'm absolutely ****ing baffled)

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is this what it has come to?

Next time you see someone wear a hoodie in the gym ask them why they are wearing it, simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭dazza161989

Buy equipment and train at home!! No gym idiots to contend with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

In fairness, hoodie tops (and tracksuits) have become more than sports clothing. Hence the problem with their reputations. I don't think anyone has a problem with sports clothing per se. Not sure the speedo comparison holds up in that sense.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Or any time... you don't want it to be roasting if you're working up a sweat like

I never mentioned "roasting" or particularly warm even. What I said was "adequate heat" - so that you don't start off freezing in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Powerhouse wrote: »
    I never mentioned "roasting" or particularly warm even. What I said was "adequate heat" - so that you don't start off freezing in the morning.

Tetchy.

Tetchy.

Just pointing out that what I said was quite different to what some people took up. Wouldn't be my idea of tetchy.

7 pages about wearing a hoodie in the gym.

Wow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

7 pages about wearing a hoodie in the gym.

Wow.

2 pages :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Qglb5H5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Speedos !! Come on, no man in their right mind should wear these.
    Apart from that, i couldn't care less what anyone wears

In fairness, swimmers also have a 'code' about what people wear. Most decent male swimmers that I've seen do actually wear Speedos (nowadays they are more like little shorts than the really skimpy brief!). Any guy that shows up in knee-length tight shorts, I automatically think that he believes himself a quasi-Michael Phelps, since he's wearing the shorts that they wear at the Olympics, but then he starts swimming and it's usually more akin to drowning, slowly. And if you show up in board shorts, then forget about it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This thread and the attitudes in it are bizarre.
    If these things bother you really need to look at yourself. Come across as elitist snobbery tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I forgot my shorts today and had to wear my running tights, Fk the haters, had a great session

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭rondog

There is absolutely no reason to wear a hoodie up in the gym unless you are
    1) on a Justin bieber level of famous and trying to hide
    2)On the run.

Not in my experience.

The guys lifting the heaviest weights are, more often than not, the soundest ones.

no it my experience. More often than not, they have set routines, use tons of weights, do huge amounts of sets and are very particular about who they let work on, because of this, they're not the soundest.

They're not arseholes either but in my experience, not the soundest. most of the GAA lads are sound, often working up in the big shmoke and are good laugh but seriously hard trainers.

rusty cole wrote: »
    no it my experience. More often than not, they have set routines, use tons of weights, do huge amounts of sets and are very particular about who they let work on, because of this, they're not the soundest.

They're not arseholes either but in my experience, not the soundest. most of the GAA lads are sound, often working up in the big shmoke and are good laugh but seriously hard trainers.
    If memory serves me, there was an annoying gym behaviour thread and you seemed to be in a gym with disproportionate amount of gimps.

Maybe my memory does not serve me well, however.

That said, why is having a set training program, using a lot of plates and doing lots of sets such a black mark against someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Savage workout this afternoon. Legs are in bits. Totally forgot to take my hoodie off though so it doesn't count. Have to do legs again tomorrow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

I don't see what the big deal is.
    I'll judge you in my head because of your hoodie, because of your black runners, your white runners, your shirt, your long hair, your short hair, or your bald head. Or just generally because you're standing there.

But I surely don't expect anyone to give a sh!t about what I think!!!

So wear your ball-squeezing tights, enjoy your workout - you can ignore the look of disgust on my face :-)

gutenberg wrote: »
    And if you show up in board shorts, then forget about it :p

Whatevs. My window frontage is on a strictly need-to-know basis, so board shorts ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Deshi Basara

It could be that some people are body conscious?

It could also be their training requires long rest intervals and wearing a hoody keeps them warm? Primarily strength training for a nervous system response.

I doubt it's a style thing, being honest.

It's actually kid of shocking to see such a long thread over hoodies given the mad things people wear in the gym these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

Amazed how for this thread got on an absolute non issue. Is this the ladies lounge I clicked on by mistake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

I wear a hoodie in the gym. I'd take it off on the threadmill.

I just find it very comfortable when doing weights and to keep warm when cold. No other reason.

• Advertisement

-
    If memory serves me, there was an annoying gym behaviour thread and you seemed to be in a gym with disproportionate amount of gimps.

Maybe my memory does not serve me well, however.

That said, why is having a set training program, using a lot of plates and doing lots of sets such a black mark against someone?

why is having an opinion on it such a black mark against me? its just an opinion, based on my experience, I'm in northwood and flyefit so if you class it as gimpsville then, again, that's your opinion.

you can stalk my remarks on other threads and quote all you want, I'm speaking in the context of this thread. WTF..It's always the same on these fitness threads, the usual crowd not taking a point from us mere mortals, getting the hump and then all backslapping each other with thanks!!

I dont think there's really anything wrong with wearing a hoodie, leggings, a tutu or leather chaps. What I don't like is bad manners hence my remarks on eponymous "bad behaviour thread". I suppose you'd call me an arse if I kindly asked you not to include me and half the gym in your selfies too eh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement