Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your daily forecasts from Boards.ie weather forum (NO CHAT)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

met eireann are predicting this friday to be very wet and dry saturday but yr.no are predicting wet saturday and not too bad friday (for galway region).
    which is more likely to be the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

km79 wrote: »
    met eireann are predicting this friday to be very wet and dry saturday but yr.no are predicting wet saturday and not too bad friday (for galway region).

it will be wet from friday eve right through to saturday eve by the looks of things.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

km79 wrote: »

Don't even bother everytime its supposed to rain it just drizzles which is even worse than rain and then i get a migrane i want bloody sun!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

owenc wrote: »
    Don't even bother everytime its supposed to rain it just drizzles which is even worse than rain and then i get a migrane i want bloody sun!:mad:

Move to Kent!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Yes, I'm okay, on holidays ... thought I might get more time to look at the forecasts but my access is somewhat limited by a big crowd of people all staying here (family gathering) ... and then last night (like 0530 your time) I was actually going to post a forecast and the power went out, then stayed out until well after I packed it in. Some kind of mishap on the road, and this being quite an isolated place. I have posted a picture below, perhaps this will explain my absence from the computer too. :D Anyway, DE and some others have kindly kept things going and from what I can see, there isn't that much going on that isn't already well known to everyone, so I will stay with the holiday idea until maybe next Monday. I enjoyed the bit above about racing the greyhounds.

Anyway, here's a picture of paradise, weather has been improving too, 27 C and sunny on Tuesday, expecting 30 C each day rest of the week. You may have heard, it is ungodly hot in the eastern cities, NYC had 39 C for a high, same in DC and Baltimore was 40 C -- although it's not as humid as some of their heat waves, dew points were as low as 10 C while this heat developed.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday. :)

I really am beginning to appreciate just how much effort is put into a daily forecast, and certainly how much M.T is putting in, considering his forecasts are far more detailed than mine and out to a much longer range. I try to keep mine brief but still have to look a number of models to try and put some sort general overview in the couple of sentences I write. It is all the more harder when every model conflicts within the 36hr range or even less, as well as trying foresee how a pattern may develop on the latest sat animations.

I, along with everyone else will be glad to see you back!!

Anyways....

Today: Any residual frontal cloud should clear away although it may slice back over the SE at times. Otherwise a typical Irish day of watery sunshine, a brisk breeze and a passing shower, which are more likely in the North and West, but no less heavy in other areas should they filter through. Winds moderate to fresh SW, strong near exposed coasts. Highs of between 16c-21c, warmest towards the east and southeast. Tonight, still a couple of showers knocking around but winds should ease.

Tomorrow: Probably a bright start with the odd shower but cloud increasing with showers or longer spells of rain taking a firmer hold. Winds light to moderate backing southerly towards evening.

The track of tomorrow's developing wave feature is uncertain so updates will most likely be needed, and not necessarily by moi!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

lord lucan wrote: »
    Move to Kent!:pac:

I can't my parents want to stay in this dive and i don't know why as my mum is sick of the weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,353 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Thanks for the tip, you seem to be saying watch for the neighbour lads ... so far so good, mostly just archery and banjo playing, meanwhile, if you would accept a forecast from a person in advanced heat stroke, I am seeing a convergence of model solutions on 20-30 mms of rain Friday into Saturday morning, possibly thundery at times in central southern counties. As that's still 48h away, I would say check back for an update Thursday evening your time as (like you say) I can't seem to fight my way through to the keyboard here even with the relative importance of my task (like, totally).

Bit late but here is a quick forecast:

Today: Some bright spells but mostly cloudy with showery outbreaks of rain in places. Highs of between 17c & 20c. Winds light to moderate. Tonight. Cloudy and murky with some spots of rain around.

Tomorrow.
    Mostly cloudy but with the odd bright spell and the odd showery drop of rain. The chance of more general rain towards evening in the SW. Wind mostly light and feeling humid.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

Will this summer be a repeat of the last 3 Summers?
    I live 20 years on this Island now and I believe I have seen enough miserable
    Weather. One low pressure system follows the next. Is it me who is in the wrong location or is it this Island?

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

Bit on the late side once again :o

Today: Remaining cloudy generally with the best chance of any bright spells in the NW. Rain in the south & east continuing into the evening and night with the chance of some heavy bursts later. Temps 19c, Wind mostly light. Tonight. Mostly cloudy with rain in places.

Tomorrow.
    Rain or showers with some heavy/thundery bursts in places.

• Advertisement

Update from MTC at 1800h

Not much to add to what DE has already predicted above, just some estimates of rainfall amounts. Expect 20-40 mms in almost all parts of Ireland by mid-day Saturday. There is some chance of a heavier band (40-50 mms) setting up ahead of a warm front that will push through south-central Ireland overnight towards Dublin and Meath. So counties from about Cork northeast through Tipps, Offaly and Westmeath could be in the zone more likely to see this heavier rainfall but in any case most places will get a soaking rain. I will try to update this rainfall forecast around 10-11 pm.

Too bad it had to come on a busy weekend rather than a Tuesday night but many will welcome this final stage of drought relief (let's hope it's not the first stage of moisture excess because another 15-30 mms of rain seems quite plausible for mid-week).

Still in the mountains enjoying clear skies and hot weather here, the highs are around 32 C but it does drop off to 15 C for an overnight low and the humidity levels here are very low (dew points are only 8-10 C). Went up to an elevation of 1800m yesterday, it was blazing hot even up there although the car thermometer said it was 22 C, felt really about the same as down in the valley. With no wind and the fierce insolation that you get in the alpine (reflecting off snow still lying around in places) you tend to tan and/or burn in about 30 minutes. Here's an idea of the scenery (this would be near Revelstoke BC which is a good hundred miles north of where we are staying).

UPDATE _ 11 p.m. where it matters (3 p.m. here in the high desert)

Looks as though the rain now falling from about Lough Derg east and northeast will gradually turn to a foggy drizzle in central counties, but a new wave of moisture is forming up west of Biscay set to move into the southwest around sunrise and this will tend to replace the heavier rain now falling in about the same areas tomorrow. As DE was saying in the thunderstorm thread, the best chance for any thunderstorm activity to develop would be tomorrow mid-day to early evening across south central and later eastern counties as a weak cold front develops in association with a weak warm sector likely to form early tomorrow (already some evidence for it across the southeast now). So assuming that this does develop, would watch radar in south-central counties after about 1100h Saturday for any signs of an organized band of heavier rain that might become thundery for Tipps, Carlow, Kildare, Offaly and nearby parts of other counties from about 1200 to 1600h. This could also reach Dublin and Wicklow by 1500-1700h. Sunday looks better with at least some sunny intervals developing although not totally rid of the showers either.

Where I am, it's sunny and 32 C away from the lake (which is like two miles wide and forty miles long, quite deep and the water is only about 15 C from glacial meltwater, and if you sit within a few feet of shore in the shade, it's probably about 20 C there ... micro-climates around here are quite strongly developed, we noticed driving back here yesterday that it had dropped to 18 C at 8 p.m. in part of the valley that gets an early sunset from the mountain ranges to the west, part of that was being at a higher elevation but as soon as the valley widened out the temperature was back up to 24 C again). The creek running through this area from local glaciers is cold enough that you can feel the chill in the air over top of it where the highway crosses, and along a walking trail nearby, but you can literally feel a sort of wall of heat as you leave that very narrow ribbon of cool air (could be as cool as 15 C over top of the rushing water which is likely only about 10 C). Kind of odd that I can walk from one location that is warmer than anywhere in Ireland will probably be all summer, to another location that is probably cooler now than anywhere in Ireland will be this month. But I think I will have a cold one instead. :cool:

UPDATE _ Saturday 6:50 pm

Moderate risk of some embedded thunder and lightning this evening mainly east of a line from about Lough Neagh to Athlone to Waterford (if that be a line, more like a curve). Slight risk of a cell within that area and especially around Laois, Carlow, Kildare and nearby parts of other counties, becoming marginally severe, risks would be wind gusts to 45 knots, hail to 2 cm, and locally torrential rain for 10-20 minutes amounting to a further 10-20 mms.

I'm not viewing this as a potent severe weather situation aside from the heavy rainfall, most of which has fallen already, but some factors are near the lower end of the conducive range.

Another hot, sunny day starting out here, although we did get 2-3 mms of rain in sporadic non-thundery showers overnight, a precursor of what looks like heavy storms brewing to the north, hoping to get some dramatic video or pix today, tomorrow and even Monday (when back home) as by then we have a very strong front plowing into this hot air mass, the disturbances today and Sunday are more like pre-frontal troughs, but on Monday we see height falls of about 300 metres across B.C. and air mass temps plunging from the mid to high 30s on the weekend to 13-17 C behind the front. Could go tornadic in Alberta when it crosses the mountains.

Monday, 12 July, 2010

Just back from my holidays, will get back into the daily routine as soon as I deal with car-lag (worse than jet-lag, takes longer to develop).

Had a quick look at the week and felt rather ill. Rain at times today, mostly on the drizzly side, followed by a brief dry spell overnight, then heavier rain setting in again on Tuesday lasting well into Wednesday with 20-40 mms again quite possible. Highs through the period generally 16-19 C and overnight lows 11-14 C. Winds rather light at first, becoming SE 20-30 mph then SW to W 25-40 mph by Wednesday. Some clearing, then showery on Thursday with gusty W to NW winds. A brief respite on Friday, then rain at times on Saturday, highs near 18 C.

Meanwhile, we drove through a hot, sunny day mostly but saw some isolated towering cumulus trying to develop into thunderstorms in dry areas well east of the coast here. It was as hot as 35 C on the car thermometer, then dropped rather steadily to 21-22 C in the coastal valley region. Looks like we will see some very gusty winds here on Monday and severe storms developing further inland into Alberta.

Anyway, had a fabulous rest and let's hope we can move this rainy spell along shortly before wasting too much of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Monday, 12 July, 2010
    Indeed otherwise it may be lumped in with the last 3 summers.

Thanks as always M.T

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

It's now official, Ireland has a - Monsoon Season-

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

UPDATE _ Monday, 10 p.m.

Just tweaking a few details about the incoming strong weather system for mid-week. Tuesday is likely to be a day of slowly increasing winds, more low-level moisture in patchy rain and drizzle on SE winds, and outbreaks of heavier showers in the southwest by evening.

Wednesday looks somewhat volatile as very cool air aloft permits any moderate sized shower to develop hail quite readily, and thunder. Expect a mostly cloudy day with brief sunny breaks, widespread areas of thundery hail-producing showers, and winds turning more southerly then southwest at moderate speeds (20-35 mph).

By Thursday, expect some longer sunny breaks between strong showers, but gusty W to NW winds developing, and possible severe local storms as the hail, wind gust and thunder potential increases despite the lower total areal coverage of these cells as compared to Wednesday.

From then on, it seems like a gradually improving weather picture after one more outbreak of showers around Saturday. There are signs of blocking returning and this certainly increases the prospects of dry weather if not necessarily warmer temperatures, but eventually I expect the warm and dry conditions of mid-late June to return for parts of late July and August. In other words, while the rainfalls in early July will definitely be substantial (giving the whole month probably twice normal rainfalls) it may not become a washout summer in general.

Meanwhile, we have some very volatile weather developing over western Canada today, tornado warnings are out near Calgary Alberta, and winds over the interior lakes of B.C. have gusted to 90 km/hr behind the front. Here on the coast it is sunny with scudding cumulus in a 30-40 mph westerly gale, whitecaps on the nearby ocean bays and straits, as well as (I am told) on the interior lakes. It's a similar upper-level setup to the storm developing for your region on Wednesday, as a strong upper level low with very cool air aloft is moving across BC today and into Alberta tomorrow. Predicting the snow level to drop to 5,000 feet in the Rockies, which is just a little higher than some of Calgary's western suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭doccy

Thanks MT for the updates and the time spent on these forecasts. I try and direct as many friends, family and workmates onto your posts for the daily weather forecasts.
    You have a real talent, thanks for sharing it with our wet little island ;)

Tuesday, 13 July, 2010

TODAY will be mostly cloudy although brighter in Ulster at times. Some rather light rain will develop across the southwest and move slowly further north and east through the afternoon. Amounts will be generally 3-5 mms. Winds will pick up a bit to ESE 10-20 mph, some mist may develop over hills, and the highs will be about 17-18 C. In some areas, what you might call a "soft day."

TONIGHT there may be an interval with dry or even clear conditions before heavier showers develop with increasing SE winds 15-30 mph, with lows only falling slightly from today's readings, to 12-13 C.

WEDNESDAY will produce heavier showers, some of them thundery with hail, and limited sunshine, in fact some areas will see low overcast and hill fog much of the day. Winds will tend to drop off to light and variable in western coastal regions but will stay moderate SE veering to SSW elsewhere as low pressure approaches the west coast. Rainfalls of 15-30 mms are possible, and highs will be about 16-18 C.

THURSDAY will become breezy or locally windy, and brighter between heavy thundery showers with hail a significant risk. Winds will become SW 20-35 mph with some higher gusts possible. After morning lows near 12 C expect a high of about 18-19 C.

FRIDAY will remain somewhat disturbed as winds veer slowly to west and then northwest, but there may be patchy areas of rain separated by brighter intervals rather than heavy showers, and temperatures will remain in about the same range, 12-18 C.

SATURDAY is currently looking reasonably dry until perhaps late afternoon in the west and overnight into Sunday elsewhere; the system approaching for Sunday is fairly weak and may not produce much more than 3-5 mms of rain on average spread out in several light intervals, so at present there is some optimism that the wet spell may not be too prolonged, as the following week continues to look fairly dry in comparison. Temperatures are likely to recover a bit too, and reach the low 20s at times.

We've had a boisterous weather day here on Monday (12th) and this continues across much of western Canada tonight with heavy thunderstorms in places, strong westerly winds and very cool temperatures. Here on the coast the high was about 20 C and it's only moderately cool in a strong westerly wind, but inland some places dropped to record low values (for daytime highs) and in central Alberta the city of Red Deer had an almost November-like day with temperatures near 7 C in the afternoon and winds gusting to 80 km/hr with heavy rain. The normal high there for July is 25 C.

Meanwhile the east coast heat wave moderated somewhat in the past few days although New York was close to 34 C today, but the month remains on pace to be the warmest July on record in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Thanks as always MT.. Even Bastardi has my hopes up for the weather to improve .... http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp?partner=accuweather.. A great cheer me up after driving through floods on the N11....

• Advertisement

UPDATE _ Tuesday 9:15 pm

Well, we have to get through tomorrow and Thursday first, then perhaps things will start to improve (on the whole, not continuous improvement).

The dry slot that I mentioned seems to be positioned from about Sligo southeast to Wexford at present, and it's mostly a case of an absence of rain but some drizzle and mist still trapped under the cloud deck. Heavier rain is developing in bursts to the west of Galway and Clare offshore and spreading into parts of Kerry and western Limerick and Cork this evening. Also a burst of heavier rain has moved north through parts of Carlow and Kildare. This seems to be losing intensity as it reaches Meath/Westmeath.

No significant changes in the forecast from recent model runs, I will have a full update by 0630 as the strong system offshore begins to close in on the west coast. The low will track towards Valentia then will swerve north and only come inland over Galway and Mayo later tomorrow evening. But the zone of heaviest rainfall will be spread out ahead of that track in an arc already quite easy to spot on satellite imagery, then as that reaches eastern Ireland, the trough hanging south from the low centre will become more active than it is now over the Atlantic due to the destabilizing influence of land, so that more areas of showery rain will develop in waves behind the occluding front.

The Tuesday weather here is cloudy with sunny breaks, cool and breezy (17 C for the high). Parts of Alberta and Saskatchewan are seeing perhaps their coldest July afternoon on record with temperatures in the 7 to 12 C range over a large region there (with low cloud, rain and strong winds too).

Severe storms are developing in Manitoba and North Dakota.

Wednesday, 14 July, 2010

TODAY will be mostly cloudy with brief intervals of brighter weather, and somewhat disorganized areas of heavy showers with some thunder and the slight risk of hail. Generally speaking the heaviest rain will fall from about Waterford north then northwest towards eastern Galway and Mayo and in this zone rainfalls of 15-30 mms are possible. Further east and west, 10-20 mms will be more typical. Winds will remain SE 10-20 mph with some higher gusts around heavy showers. In the coastal southwest watch for winds to drop off to almost calm as the surface low approaches.

Highs today will be 17-19 C. It will be humid and feel rather warm when not raining. Watch for updates on more specific rainfall developments.

TONIGHT will continue mostly cloudy with showers and one or two thundershowers mainly in north central to eastern counties. Rainfalls of 10 to 20 mms may be added to earlier amounts, and lows will be only 13-14 C. Winds will continue rather light southeast dropping to near calm in the west.

THURSDAY will become somewhat brighter with the winds veering slowly to the southwest at 15-30 mph, becoming rather gusty at times near the south coast, as the low pulls north and away from Connacht. There will be widespread outbreaks of light showery rain at first, followed by some heavier showers that turn thundery with hail especially around Tipps, Laois, Carlow, Kildare, Offaly and nearby counties. Highs will be 16-18 C.

FRIDAY will be cloudy with some sunny intervals, with periods of light rain mainly over the north and northeast, pulling away late in the day. Winds will be west veering to northwest at 15-30 mph, and it will be rather cool with lows near 11 C and highs near 17 C.

SATURDAY will be partly cloudy with longer intervals of sunshine and mainly dry conditions, highs near 19-21 C.

SUNDAY will become cloudy with light rain at times, rather warm and humid with highs near 19-20 C. Rainfalls at this point seem likely to be rather light.

NEXT WEEK is looking somewhat more settled than this week but a disturbance due around Tuesday or so may drop a few more mms of rain. Highs next week will be generally in the range of 20-23 C.

For updates on my local weather and other trivia, see the previous post.

Watch for updates on developments today and check the other active threads especially from about 10h to 17h (my sleep time) although they're always worth a visit.

UPDATE _ Wednesday 14th at 5 p.m.

Numerous heavy showers with some thunder scattered across the western third of Ireland late this afternoon, generally the activity is becoming more concentrated west of the Shannon-Lough Derg line (extended southwards) as a zone of more stable air settles over eastern Ireland this afternoon and evening. In Connacht there may be some local rainfalls of 20-30 mms but the activity is rather sporadic from "pulse" cells with relatively short life cycles. Anyone right under one of these at maximum intensity could have quite a strong downpour with some thunder and one or two cells could become sources of frequent lightning for a while. There is little risk of strong wind gusts in this set-up. The surface low appears to be drifting northwards up the west coast or slightly inland.

Later on this evening and overnight some of this activity will tend to die off to scattered light showers while the dry areas in eastern Ireland will perhaps begin to receive some showers from the east and southeast, although it will be tomorrow where this activity will begin to intensify under the influence of daytime heating of the increasingly unstable moist air.

Refer to the previous forecast for further details for Thursday.

Quite a strong line of supercell thunderstorms in eastern France, Belgium and now into southwest Holland. These are drifting east as well as north, and will generate some severe weather especially in Belgium and the Ardennes into Luxembourg and extreme western Germany. The activity over England and Wales is less severe but rather than being pulse type cells as in Ireland, these are linear cells with longer life cycles, moving slowly north along troughs connecting the upper and surface low to the main front in France. This activity will be replenished overnight by cells drifting north out of western France into the Channel and across the south coast of England.

A nice clear morning here and I am heading out for a while, refer to the other threads ongoing in the weather forum covering today's rain and thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

yep M.T here they are.

3CemFInJgbmlq

Thursday, 15 July, 2010

TODAY will start out cloudy and misty in some places with brief showers, a few brighter intervals, then watch out for rapidly developing heavy showers some of them thundery with hail, rather gusty SSW winds near the south coast spreading across the southeast, while further west the winds remain almost calm to easterly 10-15 mph. By afternoon, some severe storms could develop especially in the central to southeast counties. Highs will be around 17 to 19 C, and rainfalls variable but potentially as heavy as 25-40 mms locally (but 5-15 mms in many other places).

TONIGHT will remain showery with moderate westerly winds and lows near 13 or 14 C.

FRIDAY will be partly cloudy with passing showers heavier in the north than elsewhere, and somewhat cooler with lower humidity than recent days, highs near 17 C. Winds WNW 15-30 mph, rainfalls 3-6 mms.

SATURDAY will bring brighter skies and some longer sunny intervals with any lingering showers confined to the northeast during the morning; however, by late afternoon cloud will spread in rapidly and rain may follow by evening in the southwest. Highs will be about 20 C.

SUNDAY will bring cloud, intervals of light rain, and rather humid conditions with highs near 19 C.

NEXT WEEK looks "meh" to quote one of our weather observers ... and while it shouldn't be as wet or stormy as this week, there will be a few showery episodes as well as some dry intervals, and temperatures near 20 C most days. There are signs of warmer weather in the following week.

We enjoyed a very fine day here with low humidity, sunshine and 23 C. Very hot and humid in the midwest U.S. and warm and humid on the east coast; severe storms have developed across the western Great Lakes spreading towards southern Ontario and Michigan.

Watch for updates on today's potentially stormy weather and check the other threads too.

UPDATE _ Thursday 4:15 pm

Showers and a few thundershowers in the north will continue to work their way northeast, but a new area of showers is rapidly developing off the southwest coast, spreading some distance inland already but with heavier activity likely this evening, including some thundery showers over the inland southeast. There is a potential for heavy rainfall with this (locally 20-30 mms) and winds may pick up at times to S 20-30 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mid west has shower free for long parts of the day. Hope its like that on Saturday

Friday, 16 July, 2010

TODAY ... the overcast should begin to break in the south this morning with rain over the north becoming more showery. Although a few heavier showers may redevelop, amounts for the rest of today should be generally 3-7 mms on average. Winds will continue to increase until reaching 20-35 mph from the W to NW. Highs will average 16 or 17 C.

TONIGHT ... mostly cloudy in the north with continuing light showers at times, winds WNW 15-30 mph. Clear intervals across the south as winds there fall a bit to W 10-20 mph. Lows generally about 10 C.

SATURDAY ... Ulster may continue to see mostly cloudy skies with occasional light rain, but further south there should be some sunshine and only the occasional passing shower, while some places will remain dry. Highs will be around 18 C in the north and 20 C in the south. Winds will be W backing to SSW 15-30 mph and light rain will redevelop in the southwest around sunset.

SUNDAY ... periods of rain, possibly heavy at times, and a steady SSW wind of about 20 mph, highs near 17 or 18 C.

MONDAY-TUESDAY ... showery with risk of another interval of strong winds and heavier rain developing, highs near 19 C.

Further outlook ... it may not last, but there are indications of a dry spell and longer intervals of sunshine later in the week and on towards the following weekend. Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed on that.

Meanwhile, it seems cruel to mention it, but Thursday 15th here was sunny and about 23 C. Heat and humidity are returning to the east coast after a few days of showery weather. For the Open golf today, it may become very windy for a time this morning as the remnants of the overnight storm pass just to the west of Fife, and there could be some intervals of heavy rain there as well, with more of a clearing trend by afternoon although variable with further showers. The weekend there does not look overly promising although winds should remain moderate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Just want to say a big thank you to MT for the time he gives to this board. Im sure I speak for everyone when I say it is so much appreciated and it's always a good read in the morning and the local information from his location is both bizarre at times and interesting. ;) (in fact it sounds alot like Ireland in many ways)

• Advertisement

Saturday, 17 July, 2010

TODAY ... a few morning showers continuing in Ulster, cloud fairly widespread for a while in some other eastern counties too, while sunshine erupts in the west (don't be frightened) ... then high cloud will begin to appear in the southwest dimming the sun although rain may only edge inland slowly by late afternoon or evening. Winds WNW 20-30 mph backing gradually to S 10-20. Highs near 17 C in the north, 19-21 C south.

TONIGHT ... misty and rather mild with periods of light rain, lows near 13 C.

SUNDAY ... cloudy, rather warm and humid, intervals of light rain, becoming heavier from the west during the afternoon and evening, another 10-20 mms possible. Highs 17-19 C. Winds SSW 10-20 mph.

MONDAY ... variable cloud, a few more showers, southwest winds, highs near 19 or 20 C. Rainfalls about 3-5 mms.

TUESDAY ... rain becoming more confined to Ulster as cloud begins to break in the south and west, highs near 19 C.

WEDNESDAY ... variable cloud, turning a bit cooler in northerly winds, showers developing in Connacht by late in the day, highs near 17 C.

THURSDAY-FRIDAY ... fair and a bit warmer again in a light northerly flow, just a few isolated showers, highs 18-20 C.

There are continuing signs of a slight warming trend beyond that, and eventually I think there could be some more very warm weather this summer, while dry conditions seem rather a remote possibility after all this rain, it may at least return to a more normal regime for rainfall eventually.

Meanwhile, our Friday was fairly nice again with a lot of morning (marine layer) cloud burning off around noon to mostly sunny skies and highs near 21 C.

Washington DC hit 98 F (37 C) today, NYC about 34 C. This may turn out to be the warmest July on record at both cities with another heat wave on the charts for the next 7-10 days.

Advertisement