Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef strike II what's a fair base price for the Autumn for R=3= steers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mallethead2

wrangler wrote: »
    IFA have got 100m for beef farmers plus protecting their BPS plus all the schemes, If non farmers knew what some ''real'' farmers were getting in the post in the next few weeks they wouldn't have a lot of sympathy but funnily that's not publicised but it's the reason that there's no money in beef, and rubbish calves are making uneconomical prices.
    Guys around here are reducing numbers, contract rearing and milking for dairy farmers if they need the money, and beef farming if they don't

I don't post her much but I follow this forum every day and I had to post a reply to this.

I'm one of those " real farmers" you're so quick to look down on
    I don't have a large BPS, I didn't get an installation grant and I am one of the lost generation the IFA didn't do a whole lot for !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I farm because I was lucky enough to get a piece of land from my parents and also to be able to buy another bit, I started out with 1 ewe and a calf i built up my herd of suckler cows and a flock of ewes.(I travelled the country buying the best foundation stock I could ) to build up and sell a quality product .
    to see you day in and day out ranting about part time farmers anyone who has a different view of the IFA to you is at this stage very tiresome

While you have a different way and view of looking at things and your opinions I don't always agree with you are very insightful and I do look forward to reading your opinions.
    Could you please have less of the I'm right all the time attitude and maybe give your view of how things could be improved .
    That I do look forward to reading

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Wrangler is like sports pundit.

Agree with him or disagree with him, like him or loath him, he's compelling viewing by times and keeps the discussion lively!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Protestors must be thinking of the Famine........ when there was nothing else to eat.
    If processors don't get their margin processing beef they'll either set up somewhere else or do something else.
    I said before that farmers are being brought to a cliff edge , I meant financially at the time but now it's both financially and mentally

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/debt-now-averages-e44000-on-irish-beef-farms/

Good analysis of the levels of debt and financial position of your average beef farmer above, no farmer is going to starve, most have outside incomes coming into the house and the general consensus from the above is beef farming is a expensive hobby and now in 2019 it’s become a serious financial burden to continue doing so.....
    The only real losers will be the small group of beef farmers who have invested in large finishing units are running a lorry/heap of tractors on the drip and have land taken across half the parish to keep their entitlements going, that and the massive job losses on a entire industry built around beef farming, but as a whole once the cheque comes every October the humble beef farmer will have suffered the least collateral damage once he just mothballs the farming/rents the place out

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I don't post her much but I follow this forum every day and I had to post a reply to this.

I'm one of those " real farmers" you're so quick to look down on
    I don't have a large BPS, I didn't get an installation grant and I am one of the lost generation the IFA didn't do a whole lot for !!!!!!!!!!!!
    I farm because I was lucky enough to get a piece of land from my parents and also to be able to buy another bit, I started out with 1 ewe and a calf i built up my herd of suckler cows and a flock of ewes.(I travelled the country buying the best foundation stock I could ) to build up and sell a quality product .
    to see you day in and day out ranting about part time farmers anyone who has a different view of the IFA to you is at this stage very tiresome

While you have a different way and view of looking at things and your opinions I don't always agree with you are very insightful and I do look forward to reading your opinions.
    Could you please have less of the I'm right all the time attitude and maybe give your view of how things could be improved .
    That I do look forward to reading

I don't differentiate between Part time and full time farmers, more often than not I see parttime farmers farming better than fulltime farmers,
    The real farmers was something I referred to a while back and the term was subject to some derision, it was used for'' real beef farmer'' as opposed to those protesting that sold only store cattle which appeared to be in the majority at the gates, even today I was reading an article where a factory said none of their suppliers were blocking the factory.
    Sure everyone on here thinks they're right all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Beef strike being discussed on niall boylan on 4fm amd fair dues to niall ,he calls it as he sees it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Robson99 wrote: »
    Any storm brewing at the ploughing ?
    Have farmers protested at the retailers stands ?
    Where are Independent Farmers Reps ??

Kicked off at Bord bias tent security called

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Cant understand why price cant be negotiated and is anti competitive..
    Sure we can argue minimum wage is anti competitive.
    But it needs to be there in order to avoid “back to slavery times”.
    So if you have a business and are loosing money and cant pay your employees cant say.. sure there is no demand will give you 1€ /hour..
    Why is the difference??

sjb25 wrote: »

They'll probably close it now, why would they bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

They'll probably close it now, why would they bother

What did they expect ?? Chocolates and a bit of Craic??

eorna wrote: »
    Cant understand why price cant be negotiated and is anti competitive..
    Sure we can argue minimum wage is anti competitive.
    But it needs to be there in order to avoid “back to slavery times”.
    So if you have a business and are loosing money and cant pay your employees cant say.. sure there is no demand will give you 1€ /hour..
    Why is the difference??
    Exactly. Look at the cap of 4% on RPZ's. Stops people making profit. Put a similar cap on the factories and retailers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

They should bother because their primary function is the promotion of Irish food. There are many, many consumers there today, a lot of them non farmers.

Bord bia should never have got involved in the auditing of farmers, mills factories etc that was and still is the department's responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,701 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Muckit wrote: »
    Wrangler is like sports pundit.

Agree with him or disagree with him, like him or loath him, he's compelling viewing by times and keeps the discussion lively!!

The Pat Spillane of the farming forum. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/nine-goodman-companies-made-largely-untaxed-profit-of-170m-1.3943367

No money in Irish farming, Luxembourg appears to be the place with the most fertile ground.

Hpto0gG.jpg

Robson99 wrote: »
    What did they expect ?? Chocolates and a bit of Craic??

As far as I know when they were developing the QA , they had to allow every factory in the EU the opportunity to apply to be Accredited or they wouldn't be allowed the label.
    When they accepted that they couldn't foresee what's happening here now.
    I think there was factories passed in the last week in the north

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Outsidehelp

I don't differentiate between Part time and full time farmers, more often than not I see parttime farmers farming better than fulltime farmers,
    The real farmers was something I referred to a while back and the term was subject to some derision, it was used for'' real beef farmer'' as opposed to those protesting that sold only store cattle which appeared to be in the majority at the gates, even today I was reading an article where a factory said none of their suppliers were blocking the factory.
    Sure everyone on here thinks they're right all the time

You know full well wrangler that a good few of the finishers would be happy out with €3kg as they only have the cattle for a short time and will pass the drop on to the store cattle man. Some of these lads are at their happiest when the beef trade is at its lowest, as they make a living from swindling innocent farmers throughout the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

cluray wrote: »
    lab man wrote: »
    will u go and have a talk with yer self

Honestly how are you ever going to agree with thousands of farmers around the country if their reps from 7 representative groups go and endorse a deal only for them to fail to back it!

Form another rep group to negotiate, then when u don't like what they get, go again and form another group, where does it end.

Saving rural Ireland me h*le, more like screwing rural Ireland.

I see you're back for a bit more trolling cluray, I'd say you were salivating at a chance to get a dirty snaaky kick in! Ha ha..

They should bother because their primary function is the promotion of Irish food. There are many, many consumers there today, a lot of them non farmers.

Bord bia should never have got involved in the auditing of farmers, mills factories etc that was and still is the department's responsibility.

They're civil servants too, what difference the name the fly under
    They entertain foreign buyers, we've had them here, how do you think they knew we were a good farm for a promotion.
    Because Bord bia were here just a month before

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

sjb25 wrote: »

Did any of the meat companies pitch a tent

Reggie. wrote: »
    Did any of the meat companies pitch a tent

No, again why would they

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

They are just duplicating the work the department should be doing. Nit picking things that a department inspector might just comment on or ignore.

What happens if a Bord Bia inspector found something serious? It would be left to the department to sort.

They could pick up a phone and ask department for a list of suitable farms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No, again why would they

Well they do usually be at the ploughing so your saying they didnt show up this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Joe Brolly more like...

They are just duplicating the work the department should be doing. Nit picking things that a department inspector might just comment on or ignore.

What happens if a Bord Bia inspector found something serious? It would be left to the department to sort.

They could pick up a phone and ask department for a list of suitable farms.

QA is every 18mths, cross compliance could be years, I think cross compliance is only 10% inspection if even that. so average every 10 years, I know I hadn't one for 15 years then had two together
    Supermarkets are accepting Bord bias inspections, the other alternative is that supermarkets organise them.
    QA is supposed to be a stepup from Cross compliance, hence the bonus payment

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well they do usually be at the ploughing so your saying they didnt show up this year

I can't see their name on the list of stands on IFJ anyway, I'm sure there's plenty reps there any way having a decent day out for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Id say Brolly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

riemann wrote: »
    I think we've all heard more than enough from you.

Maybe time to put down the keyboard and wander outside.

Mod note: riemann, take 24 hours off from this thread, please.

Buford T. Justice

Any sign of Willfarm to come back ?.
    Badly missed on farming forums

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Am a self employed contractor myself - not a farmer

Big problem in this country is the absolute statutory power of the competition authority which means prices cannot be collectively negotiated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭White Clover

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Am a self employed contractor myself - not a farmer

Big problem in this country is the absolute statutory power of the competition authority which means prices cannot be collectively negotiated

The competition authority don't interfere in big business in this country, they only go after the weak.
    Look at what happened yesterday at liffey meats. A decent price (relative to where we were) was offered, but soon withdrawn. We can deduce from that, that pressure came on to tow the line with the others, yet, the competition authority says that there isn't a cartel at play with the meat processors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

The problem as I see it, is that meat and many other food products for that matter, from the farmers perspective are perishable products. Made all the more perishable and expensive to produce, as a result of pretty draconian regulations.
    In such a market situation, the normal competition laws should have some sort of set aside or government intervention, to prevent the market elements higher up the chain, from taking advantage of the weak position of the holder of the perishable product. The farmer.
    Surely the principle laws of natural justice, should allow government to have the power, to prevent and gouging by any contributor in the chain including the farmer.

The big processor in this country AND the big retailers, are all allowed to operate on huge scale, and not a single one of them are compelled to make returns to government which detail their operating margins by major product lines. Meanwhile the farmer can’t hardly move a beast from one paddock to the next without notifying a couple of quangos ......

Government with full support of EU, needs to smash into these organisations with a steel fist, sooner rather than later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement