Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood *spoilers from post 356*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Decuc500 wrote: »
    The reaction from Cannes is very positive.
    peteeeed wrote: »

89! :eek:

*checks RT*
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/once_upon_a_time_in_hollywood

94%! :eek:

Can't be just the material in the trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,286 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tarantino had a heated exchange with some press today over violence to the female characters

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Here's part of the exchange:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That's about as heated a fridge in a library canteen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I presume ever since he stormed out during the Django junket (Channel 4 news interviewer wasn't it?), the press are hoping to poke the tiger a little. From what I recall of the Django one, Tarantino was a little petulant...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Actually, having watched the video, that was a pretty bizarre question, obviously angling for some "why you no have a bigger part Margot, sexism??". Robbie answered it very diplomatically, Tarantino instead going for the direct approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Decuc500 wrote: »
    The reaction from Cannes is very positive.

Palme D’Or contender?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

2 months of avoiding trailers/snippets/reviews/interviews/etc

cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Initial reviews seem quite positive. Might actually watch this in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭MfMan

El Duda wrote: »
    Looks like a potential top 5 Taratino film. Awesome.

A few people saying it the closest thing he's done to Pulp Fiction

Not saying a lot. Another movie that has dated quite a bit once the initial sheen wears off. Probably more of the same here, with dazzling visuals and highly insubstantial plotting as Tarantino continues his relentless quest to be hip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

pulp fiction is amazing .......the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Palme D’Or contender?

I'd like to see Tarantino win another one but it looks to be a particularly strong line up this year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pixelburp wrote: »
    Actually, having watched the video, that was a pretty bizarre question, obviously angling for some "why you no have a bigger part Margot, sexism??". Robbie answered it very diplomatically, Tarantino instead going for the direct approach.
    What an eye-roll of a question. Clearly an agenda holder looking for something to kick off with. It's not as if Tarantino hasn't given us iconic/lead female characters - Mia Wallace, The Bride, Jackie Browne, etc.

Just as well that lady didn't turn up at the Shawshank Redemption press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm so excited for this can't wait

poster released
    D8yMyLHWwAINXAO?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

What? No Shouty L Jackson?

Reviews are in , generally very positive , out in America tomorrow but we don't get it till August 15th

Some reviews seem to be leaning into it being Tarantino's most wistful, personal movie; which would track with what we've seen given its setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's a real Hollywood nepotism affair too, with at least four famous daughters: Margaret Qualley (Andie MacDowell's daughter), Maya Hawke (daughter of Uma Thurman and Ethan Hawke), Harley Quinn Smith (daughter of Kevin Smith), and Rumer Willis (daughter of Bruce). Quentin's wife Daniella Pick is there, and if their kids aren't involved, it's because they don't have any. I'm surprised he doesn't have at least a cameo himself. :p

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

From initial observation of the costumes of Pitt and DiCaprio they seem anachronistically inaccurate. More like a 1969 version of Starsky and Hutch. S & H were not even accurate in their own time, by all accounts. A parody of a parody; perhaps?
    Starsky and Hutch and Charles Manson. Now thats a thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Showing in good old film at the Lighthouse :) Here’s hoping for a 70mm screening at the IFI somewhere along the line.

https://twitter.com/lighthoused7/status/1155791187841884160?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Dunno if its me or if theres been a bit of a dip in really good films the last couple of years, but Once upon a time in Hollywood is the first movie in a long time where Im ridiculously excited to see it. Reviews seem to be good though and by all accounts its a return to form for Tarantino.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Showing in good old film at the Lighthouse :) Here’s hoping for a 70mm screening at the IFI somewhere along the line.

For now, the IFI have it on 35mm too:

https://twitter.com/IFI_Dub/status/1156134048617701376

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Looking forward to it, big QT fan but for some strange reason I have yet to watch Hateful 8. It's there on Netflix, ready to go, and I started it one evening but lasted about 5 minutes.

I wasn't big into Django either, I guess I just don't like "westerns". Inglourious Basterds is the real benchmark for me, a movie I can (and will) watch countless times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Looking forward to it, big QT fan but for some strange reason I have yet to watch Hateful 8. It's there on Netflix, ready to go, and I started it one evening but lasted about 5 minutes.

I wasn't big into Django either, I guess I just don't like "westerns". Inglourious Basterds is the real benchmark for me, a movie I can (and will) watch countless times.

Don't do it to yourself would be my advice. Both desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Don't do it to yourself would be my advice. Both desperate.

I disagree.

Double disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Haven't seen Hateful 8 but Django Unchained is absolutely brilliant and in his top3 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

And I prefer Hateful 8 to Django by a huge margin.

In conclusion: Don't listen to other peoples opinions when it comes to QT. The responses to his films have always been polarising, which is a sign of a really good director imo.

Watch them all for yourself and make up your own mind. There is no general concencus when it comes to his stuff. Everyones top 10 is different.

Advertisement