Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭dacogawa

dsmythy wrote: »
    East Coast will be fine for wind speeds and sea. Still wouldn't be swimming in it but nothing out of the ordinary. It's been fairly settled that the storm will weaken as it does its eastward turn. If it got up to yellow wind level with the trees still in leaf then the rotted weak and diseased trees out there could definitely go but probabilities go up and down with the severity.

Tomorrow afternoon there is a high tide of 4.02m in Dublin Bay, over 50km/h winds will be pushing in from the south east at that time. I wouldn't write it off as "ordinary" just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Akrasia wrote: »
    How are you supposed to get at all that precious bread if you can't open the freezer???

If it gets really bad, you could borrow a JCB and head to your nearest Lidl.
    Doesn't need to be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Am I the only one who’s sick of the bread jokes already? Anytime there’s talk of bad weather the first comment is ‘get the bread in’.
    To think we’re only in October.......going to be a long winter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I think bread is an over-rated food anyway. Alright if you are stuck, but I really do wonder about its health benefits.

Especially that Brennan's shiite. Same for pizzas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

sideswipe wrote: »
    Am I the only one who’s sick of the bread jokes already? Anytime there’s talk of bad weather the first comment is ‘get the bread in’.

It was bloody embarrassing that people went so mad for it during Ophelia or the snow that time. Why like? Videos of people grabbing it as it came off the Brennan's van were cringe worthy. I was sick of the bread jokes before they started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Better get the bread in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭Cartman78

No I agree...I doughnut know why people bombard these threads with lame bread jokes.

From tart to finish, people just roll out the same thing and act like it's great brack altogether. There'll be a few willing to go against the grain but I don't crust them either.

Stick to the facts people, it's the yeast we can do in these difficult times

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I don’t believe any of these so called weather experts. They get a C or less in leaving cert geography which is the easiest subject after home economics, and then straight into a high paid job with RTÉ. More like weather eejits I call them. I’ll be going out to work tomorrow morning and I won’t even take a coat. Reckon it will be sunny and high teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

I don’t believe any of these so called weather experts. They get a C or less in leaving cert geography which is the easiest subject after home economics, and then straight into a high paid job with RTÉ. More like weather eejits I call them. I’ll be going out to work tomorrow morning and I won’t even take a coat. Reckon it will be sunny and high teens.

Best of luck so. Nobody is stopping you going to work during a yellow wind warning during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭aaronjennings

Cartman78 wrote: »
    No I agree...I doughnut why people bombard these threads with lame bread jokes.

From tart to finish, people just roll out the same thing and act like it's great brack altogether. There'll be a few willing to go against the grain but I don't crust them either.

Stick to the facts people, it's the yeast we can do in these difficult times

I think I'll be leaven this thread if the bread puns continue. You won't get a rise out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

You were doing a great job there until the last line, bit too much of a giveaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AaronMan

Scaremongering is bad, but so is ignoring of such warnings. This tread turned into a joke fest too soon.

I follow news about Lorenzo and I act reasonably upon them - no panicking, I'm not buying supplies for the next month or so, I'm just getting prepared for what might come.

However, what to do when your neighbours don't do the same, that is, they don't follow the reasonable precautions? For example, their trampoline is still in the middle of their back garden, unsecured and ready to lift off in case of strong winds.

If possible, I'd always choose prevention rather that cure but how to prevent this? I talked nicely to the neighbours about it, but no result yet. Whose fault will it be, if later this week that same trampoline flies over to our back garden and destroys something? Or to somebody else's garden? I guess that it will be all blamed then to the forces of nature, but that wouldn't be true as some damages could be prevented with more care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

AaronMan wrote: »
    Scaremongering is bad, but so is ignoring of such warnings. This tread turned into a joke fest too soon.

I follow news about Lorenzo and I act reasonably upon them - no panicking, I'm not buying supplies for the next month or so, I'm just getting prepared for what might come.

However, what to do when your neighbours don't do the same, that is, they don't follow the reasonable precautions? For example, their trampoline is still in the middle of their back garden, unsecured and ready to lift off in case of strong winds.

If possible, I'd always choose prevention rather that cure but how to prevent this? I talked nicely to the neighbours about it, but no result yet. Whose fault will it be, if later this week that same trampoline flies over to our back garden and destroys something? Or to somebody else's garden? I guess that it will be all blamed then to the forces of nature, but that wouldn't be true as some damages could be prevented with more care.

With any luck the storm will pass with minimum damages and I pray that there will be nobody injured or killed.
    My biggest fear is that the trees are still heavy with leaves and if there’s big winds they will be pulled and tested hard.
    Let everyone stay safe

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

We knead bread during a storm. Its soda mportant to have lots of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

You’re right it’s not a brown or white issue.

There are two large deciduous trees at the fringe of a greenery listing slightly, repeated calls to the local council have fallen on deaf ears. I only hope livestock by the adjoining field are brought in, and calamity spared.

The old saying springs to mind.
    “The day of the big wind isn’t the day for thatching”.
    Stay safe let ye

Bread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

A trampoline being hurled by strong winds across a neighbourhood is likely to cause a lot of damage - worst case scenario it could kill or maim someone.

Not taking 5-10 minutes to tie it down is pretty stupid and potentially negligent in the extreme.

With any luck the storm will pass with minimum damages and I pray that there will be nobody injured or killed.
    My biggest fear is that the trees are still heavy with leaves and if there’s big winds they will be pulled and tested hard.
    Let everyone stay safe

Absolutely agree. And good point about the trees - I was wondering the same the other day, as I remember how last year Storm Ali surprisingly caused a lots of damage to the trees in my area, more than the red-warning Ophelia did a year before that. I suppose one of the main reasons for that was the fact that branches were full of leaves and as such heavier in mid-September, comparing to mid-October when Ophelia hit.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    A trampoline being hurled by strong winds across a neighbourhood is likely to cause a lot of damage - worst case scenario it could kill or maim someone.

Not taking 5-10 minutes to tie it down is pretty stupid and potentially negligent in the extreme.

They are social housing tenants, so I even thought of having a word with the Council about it, but I doubt that the Council would be interested before hand - it's not the common/usual type of complaint that they'd be dealing with ... Also, there is not much time left before Lorenzo arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

What’s with all the bread jokes? People went mad buying bread during the snow storm last year. It’s a bit harder to leave the house with 2 feet of snow outside than is it to leave when it’s windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They are social housing tenants, so I even thought of having a word with the Council about it, but I doubt that the Council would be interesting before hand - it's not the common/usual type of complaint that they'd be dealing with ... Also, there is not much time left before Lorenzo arrives.

I love this.

Own your own home and if someone trespasses in your garden and falls over, you can be sued.

If you clear snow from a public path, you can be sued.

If a farmer moves debris from the public road, he could be sued.

But if you're renting off the council, and act in what can only be described as a criminally negligent way by failing to tie down hazards, and it's the council's fault.

The law is broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

What’s with all the bread jokes? People went mad buying bread during the snow storm last year. It’s a bit harder to leave the house with 2 feet of snow outside than is it to leave when it’s windy.

That’s my fault, I stated my hatred of them and caused an avalanche of bread jokes, some humorous others completely lacking in humor or originality. I’m not sour dough.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭LordBasil

I agree, all this bread talk is getting very tiresome. I found the whole bread obsession during Ophelia and particularly during the 'Beast from the East' cringeworthy. Like what year is it, there are plenty of other food people can buy/eat nowadays. If bad weather is predicted buy extra bread days before it starts and put it in the freezer if you need bread so much. Ridiculous carry on the last time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

This thread is dissipating faster than Lorenzo itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

i bought one of these as we are all ejits in the house. we can't seem to use up of whats left in the cupboard for a few days.
    im nearly sure we could live off beans, peas, soups, pasta, meat in the freezer, crackers, cereal etc

71SeQmKkohL._SY355_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just to say that there might be another storm soon "after" Lorenzo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

What is this wonderful looking SKG contraption and where can I get it?? Does it make bread with strawberries??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

George really is in full blown ramp mode!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

George really is in full blown ramp mode!

Just coming in to say the same thing! You'd swear there was an F5 tornado bearing down on us listening to him!

Advertisement