Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate kept package

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dkav9

Can we close the thread please?

Apparently I am wrong for someone taking my post and keeping it.

You have your post, she didn't keep it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    If you want to call to guards and/or have someone kicked out of the house over something as benign as this then yes, you are wrong.

So it is wrong to have a thief removed from a house?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

So it is wrong to have a thief removed from a house?

There is no thief because there is no theft. The OP has their property

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

dkav9 wrote: »
    You have your post, she didn't keep it

She kept it for a week only she was caught and had to give it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

She kept it for a week only she was caught and had to give it back.

She was probably waiting for someone to come looking for it.

You seem overly dramatic and would probably be moaning if she had left it in the hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Is she your actual housemate or someone who lives in a different flat in the same building?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Anyhoo what was in the package,anything nice?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    She was probably waiting for someone to come looking for it.

You seem overly dramatic and would probably be moaning if she had left it in the hall.

She should not have taken it. Full stop. Do you realise the postman had to actually come in and knock on her door to see what happened. He could have got in trouble in his job. She refused to answer the door to him. Why would she wait? That doesn't even make sense, why take a package and wait for people to come looking for it.
    Caranica wrote: »
    Is she your actual housemate or someone who lives in a different flat in the same building?

Different flat in the same building. When we get post we leave it in the hall. Nobody has ever taken anyone's packages before to their flat.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Unless it was opened then I’d just put it down to her forgetting to give it to you. If she is new then maybe she doesn’t know the procedure of leaving it in the hall. If she opened it though that’s a different matter altogether. Was it opened?

tipptom wrote: »
    Anyhoo what was in the package,anything nice?

Cream for my face.

• Advertisement

Unless it was opened then I’d just put it down to her forgetting to give it to you. If she is new then maybe she doesn’t know the procedure of leaving it in the hall. If she opened it though that’s a different matter altogether. Was it opened?

It was a little bit opened but not fully. The landlady told me that she had told her when she moved in to leave post there. So when she found out about it, she was angry. In saying that, maybe she hadn't been at it, could have been delivered like that.

Thanks to those who tried to help. Not sure about the guy ranting about me breaking in.

Close thread please. It was a once off so I hope it doesn't happen again.

There is no thief because there is no theft. The OP has their property

If somepone steal my property and I get it back, it does not mean there wasn't a theft in the first place.

She should not have taken it. Full stop. Do you realise the postman had to actually come in and knock on her door to see what happened. He could have got in trouble in his job. She refused to answer the door to him. Why would she wait? That doesn't even make sense, why take a package and wait for people to come looking for it.

She didn't take it, it was given to her by the person paid to deliver it.

Because she's just moved in, doesn't know any of you in the building, has her own stuff to be dealing with. Lots of reasons why.

I'll take your word that she refused to answer and just wasn't there. And maybe she didn't answer because she didn't want to receive another package.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,040 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Different flat in the same building. When we get post we leave it in the hall. Nobody has ever taken anyone's packages before to their flat.

Thread title is incorrect and misleading so. Big difference between that and being a housemate.

Being devil's advocate here, if the postman could identify her what would have happened if she'd left it on the hall table and someone else had taken it? She'd be getting the blame then too. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Because she's just moved in, doesn't know any of you in the building, has her own stuff to be dealing with. Lots of reasons why.

I'll take your word that she refused to answer and just wasn't there. And maybe she didn't answer because she didn't want to receive another package.

The postman never enters the building so it wouldn't have been him banging on her flat door to give her post. She is up the top of the building. The one she moved in with knows me, my flat number is on my door and on the package. Unless she is brain damaged she should have left it in the hall or knocked on my door. It took days of contacting An Post and the poor postman actually had to call here and go upstairs to find out what happened. Your logic is just flawed and you are picking holes in what is the truth.

The postman never enters the building so it wouldn't have been him banging on her flat door to give her post. She is up the top of the building. The one she moved in with knows me, my flat number is on my door and on the package. Unless she is brain damaged she should have left it in the hall or knocked on my door. It took days of contacting An Post and the poor postman actually had to call here and go upstairs to find out what happened. Your logic is just flawed and you are picking holes in what is the truth.

The postman gave it to her, you said that yourself so it isn't theft.

Brain damaged, that's charming from the fella who didn't think to ask the people living in his building if they'd received his package that was delivered.

The postman gave it to her, you said that yourself so it isn't theft.

Just because the postman gave it to her does not mean that it is noth theft. The essence of theft is dishonest appropriation. taking it into her room and not telling the o/p is dishonest appropriation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Just because the postman gave it to her does not mean that it is noth theft. The essence of theft is dishonest appropriation. taking it into her room and not telling the o/p is dishonest appropriation.

+1, the same way that finding something and keeping it can also be theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

You sound like a lovely person to live near

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There is no way i'd accept a package for someone and then leave it in the hall of an apartment building where anyone could take it. You say that its an agreement in the building to do it this way but she just moved in and probably doesn't know that agreement.

There is no way i'd accept a package for someone and then leave it in the hall of an apartment building where anyone could take it. You say that its an agreement in the building to do it this way but she just moved in and probably doesn't know that agreement.

It doesn't mean she can keep it and not bring it to the attention of the addressee. The fact that she is allegedly Brazillian doesn't make her any less of a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

It doesn't mean she can keep it and not bring it to the attention of the addressee. The fact that she is allegedly Brazillian doesn't make her any less of a thief.

Maybe she called once or twice and the OP wasn't home and then she forgot about it? Just because she hadn't given it to the OP yet doesn't mean she intended to keep it or is a thief.

Biggest crime here is trespass by the OP as far as I can see

GM228 wrote: »
    +1, the same way that finding something and keeping it can also be theft.

Jesus lads, you're hearing hooves and seeing zebras here.

There's no dishonest appropriation, just an overly dramatic OP and a tenant busy moving apartments who forgot about the package.

Maybe she called once or twice and the OP wasn't home and then she forgot about it? Just because she hadn't given it to the OP yet doesn't mean she intended to keep it or is a thief.

She failed to respond when contacted. She just forgot? In Victorian times she'd have got the end of a rope to help her remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If the postman never enters the building to deliver "The postman never enters the building" and she had only moved into the building, how did he know what flat she lived in?? "postman actually had to call here and go upstairs"??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You can tell which posters would be an absolute pain to houseshare with in this thread. Would treat any minor thing as a major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Exactly, I had a letter delivered to my house by mistake recently but for one reason or another - mostly me being forgetful, or wasn't sure of the location once I brought the letter with me it did not get back to the owner for over a week.

Does this mean I am a thief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭YellowLead

As countless posters have said she probably accepted it and then didn’t know what to do with it and forgot/was busy. I certainly wouldn’t leave somebody else’s package out in a hall, agreement or not. Yes she should have tried harder to get it to you, but it’s hardly crime of the century.

If she was planning to ‘steal’ it surely she would have opened it and used it, like why leave the package there unused??? Makes no sense.
    Odd that you keep reminding us she is from Brazil - you might as well say she has black hair or is tall for all the likelihood that has to do with things!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement