Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate kept package

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭amber2

A package for a neighbor was delivered to my house recently, put inside our gate. I found the package and saw it wasn’t for me, rang the neighbours phone number which was printed on the address label. Neighbour asked why I was accepting a delivery which was not addressed to me, I replied the package was left inside my gate and I was merely ringing to get her package delivered to her, neighbour proceeded to ask where I got her phone number from. Long story short .... Lovely neighbor and you can get the wrong end of the stick. Should I receive another I’ll be kicking it out onto the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

amber2 wrote: »
    A package for a neighbor was delivered to my house recently, put inside our gate. I found the package and saw it wasn’t for me rang the neighbours phone number which was printed on the address label. Neighbour asked why I was accepting deliveries which was not addressed to me, I replied the package was left inside my gate and I was merely ringing to get her package delivered to her, neighbour proceeded to ask where I got her phone number from. Long story short .... Lovely neighbor and you can get the wrong end of the stick. Should I receive another I’ll be kicking it out onto the road.

You have the patience of a saint. I would have just told her to sort it out herself and left it outside, with that attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭irelandrover

She failed to respond when contacted. She just forgot? In Victorian times she'd have got the end of a rope to help her remember.

Where did you get the bolded bit? All i see is she didn't answer the door when the postman knocked.

When the ladylady contacted her the OP got their package.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Mimon wrote: »
    Exactly, I had a letter delivered to my house by mistake recently but for one reason or another - mostly me being forgetful, or wasn't sure of the location once I brought the letter with me it did not get back to the owner for over a week.

Does this mean I am a thief?

ywMq5MOaBU73xLXEloHGVgusSwFTBlhO3BvgFNxrVFWyQaMUXXHGH9OQQYBQ32LiUe77fhMm_vsdSSlxZ5-StBMetUmoog9FoJx6UqUh0qCZKyY35VW5sVrp0N-nuFSXXgNO6-asCez8smax-ex1ofby441vjgMy8Bc

Makes no sense. If she wanted to steal it, she could have just said she left it in hall for you and kept it.
    Also the postman knocking on her door after he gave it to her at main door doesn't add up.

OP maybe she was going to steal it, but you have no way of knowing for sure and on balance of probabilities she likely wasn't, as if she was she would have just kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I did something similar to a neighbour once, delivered to me by accident. Put it on top of my fridge, forgot to give it to her and she asked me, oh yeah, forgot about that. Gave it to her and that was the end of that.

Well it wasn't the end of it really.
    You came on here telling the whole world about it! :p

Only messing! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Can we close the thread please?

She lives in the building with me and never left the post on the hall table but took it to her flat.
    She is wrong that's why the landlady was furious.

Maybe she thought package might need to quarantine for 2 weeks!.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭Northernlily

My GF is from Brazil. She is the most good natured, wonderful and kind hearted soul. She lives in a flat also in such accommodation in South Dublin. If anyone spoke about her in in such terms or indeed had someone break into her flat for a simple oversight I'd be livid.

You remind of one of my aunts "Dem foreigners".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Fandymo wrote: »
    If the postman never enters the building to deliver "The postman never enters the building" and she had only moved into the building, how did he know what flat she lived in?? "postman actually had to call here and go upstairs"??

There are too many incongruities in this escapade

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Treppen wrote: »
    There are too many incongruities in this escapade

I think we are getting a very biased one side of this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

What if she accepts the package and leaves it on the table in the hall.....it then goes missing. Who takes responsibility for the package then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Where did you get the bolded bit? All i see is she didn't answer the door when the postman knocked.

When the ladylady contacted her the OP got their package.

She didn't answer her phone either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

She didn't answer her phone either.

Do you know the OP personally or something? Several times you have brought up details that the OP never mentioned or suggested at all, implying that you know more about the story than what has been posted in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

What if she accepts the package and leaves it on the table in the hall.....it then goes missing. Who takes responsibility for the package then?

Most people act in good faith accepting a package when a housemate is not in. On a rare occasion it goes missing after delivery. If a person doesn't want anybody else accepting their deliveries , they should make arrangements to be there upon delivery -not always ideal. Has to be some leeway? A driver rarely sees ID to prove its the recipient taking it in. Some will say "delivery for John Doe " its accepted by whoever answers a door and that's there part done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I collected a package for a housemate that moved out during work recently, I had to run back to work so just dumped it on the hall table. Walked past it a couple times and thought "****e I need to text him about that", then got distracted by what I meant to do and never did. Eventually I made myself stop and text him there and then but a few days had now passed.

Other old housemates I had post for for like six weeks, unopened in the same place. Same deal. It was only when they texted that I was like "Oh crap, yes please come over and collect I keep forgetting to text!"

This stuff happens easily OP. The above happened me with people I knew and liked! If the post belonged to someone I didn't know or care about? Pfft, could be months before I think of it!

If it happened a few times with the same person taking and keeping your post for a while then yeah, fair enough, that's a trend. But the fact you felt the need to add that she was a Brazilian and you want her out for no apparent reason stinks of an overreaction that racism definitely plays a part in. That's why you've got the reaction you did. You're out of line.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Closed at OP request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement