Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housemate kept package

Options
  • 13-04-2021 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭

Close the thread please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

You're overreacting - you don't know what is going on in her life or why she didn't drop the package in. If it happens again then do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭con747

If it wasn't opened She can just say she forgot about it. If it was opened that's against the law to interfere with someone else's mail afaik.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I had a tracked package and it said delivered on the update. However I didn't receive it.
    Should I ring the guards? What happens if she does it again, she could have form for this type of stuff. I think she should be kicked out of the house anyway.

You should go to the guards and give a written complaint. No good ringing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

I had a tracked package and it said delivered on the update. However I didn't receive it.
    I got onto An Post and nobody seemed to know what was going on. Today, the postman called and told me he had given to a girl living here. He went up and tried to get her to come out and she didn't answer the door. I had to ring the landlady and it turns out she had kept the package for nearly a week in her flat.
    I got it back but that isn't the point. What should I do about this? She is from Brazil, I am not sure which one she is living here. I'm pretty sure it's illegal as I looked it up there. Should I ring the guards? What happens if she does it again, she could have form for this type of stuff. I think she should be kicked out of the house anyway.

She took your package from the delivery guy and put it in her room. Then she forgot about it.
    Then when you found out it was she, you tried to contact her but she wasn’t in her room.
    Then you got the landlord to illegally break into her room in her absence , you rummaged around in her belongings, found the package, and now you want her punished in some way or/and at least thrown out of the house.
    When you asked her what happened, what did she say?
    I also wonder what her being from Brazil has to do with any of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If it was opened thats illegal.
    If it wasnt, the Garda wont do anything. Nor will the landlady, you received it in the end. Cant see somebody being removed from a house because of that. If it was happening regularly perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I did something similar to a neighbour once, delivered to me by accident. Put it on top of my fridge, forgot to give it to her and she asked me, oh yeah, forgot about that. Gave it to her and that was the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I did something similar to a neighbour once, delivered to me by accident. Put it on top of my fridge, forgot to give it to her and she asked me, oh yeah, forgot about that. Gave it to her and that was the end of that.

Did she contact MI6 or Interpol on you for this horrible crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

There's no crime here.

She took in your package for you.

And you now have your package.

End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

This is why the first thing an post ask you to do is check with neighbours if a parcel goes missing. If you are getting something delivered to your address and your not there to receive it be thankful your neighbours took it for you. Maybe look at getting a mail delivery box from an post they're about €70 you attach it to your house and any items that need to be signed for or are too big to fit in letterbox cam be delivered to it.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Did she contact MI6 or Interpol on you for this horrible crime?

No, we communicated, despite her being Polish and me being Irish and got it sorted. Agree this thread is way over the top based on info given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

She could of said no too the delivery driver.she done you a favor and that's the way you repay her !
    Your being racist saying she is from Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Best off refusing to take a parcel in for a neighbour now apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,022 ✭✭✭con747

From this post OP you say https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=116879775 she had the parcel since Thursday, and as you say she just moved in? Well maybe she was a bit busy over the weekend and just forgot about it. I would be careful saying she "stole" it as you did in your other post anywhere else or you could be in trouble.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    No, we communicated, despite her being Polish and me being Irish and got it sorted. Agree this thread is way over the top based on info given.

From the Brazilian girls point of view, Threshold might be interested in the concept of the OP and the landlord illegally breaking into her room and interfering with her property in her absence.
    The OP had better hope there’s nothing missing or damaged in there because I think that definitely is actionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Ckendrick wrote: »
    She took your package from the delivery guy and put it in her room. Then she forgot about it.
    Then when you found out it was she, you tried to contact her but she wasn’t in her room.
    Then you got the landlord to illegally break into her room in her absence , you rummaged around in her belongings, found the package, and now you want her punished in some way or/and at least thrown out of the house.
    When you asked her what happened, what did she say?
    I also wonder what her being from Brazil has to do with any of this?

None of this happened? Except for the first line.

From the Brazilian girls point of view, Threshold might be interested in the concept of the OP and the landlord illegally breaking into her room and interfering with her property in her absence.
    The OP had better hope there’s nothing missing or damaged in there because I think that definitely is actionable.

Nobody broke into her room?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

I used to recieve neighbors packages every other week, then at the start , spending the following days calling in and dropping in notes till eventually I could hand it over.

Eventually I just gave up being the package center and refused to take them, the odd time the postman would try and trick me and hand me the package and run away as if it was for me, so I opened packages/ letters aswell in error the odd time (they had no letter box on door and a box thing on the wall that was always stuffed with junk mail)... Sometimes I would get the package and throw it on my counter and not bother until she came looking a few weeks after. Other times I'd just throw the letters back into the post box.

I wouldn't mind but half the time the neighbor would be in bed hungover and not arsed answering the door.

So ya op, get over it, no crime. Just make arrangements when you're not in.

Nobody broke into her room?

The landlord came to the property and let the op in to her locked room.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

YTA.

Oh sorry wrong website...

Ehhh...YTA. That’s all I have to say.

Don't think that was said at all apart from by a responding poster jumping to conclusions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

"She is from brazil, I am not sure which one she is living here. I'm pretty sure it's illegal as I looked it up there. Should I ring the guards? What happens if she does it again, she could have form for this type of stuff. I think she should be kicked out of the house anyway."

Christ almighty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The only poster who suggested this was you. It was not in the OP nor is it a reasonable inference from the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I got onto An Post and nobody seemed to know what was going on. Today, the postman called and told me he had given to a girl living here. He went up and tried to get her to come out and she didn't answer the door. I had to ring the landlady and it turns out she had kept the package for nearly a week in her flat.
    I got it back but that isn't the point. What should I do about this? She is from Brazil, I am not sure which one she is living here. I'm pretty sure it's illegal as I looked it up there. Should I ring the guards? What happens if she does it again, she could have form for this type of stuff. I think she should be kicked out of the house anyway.
    OP, who gave you the package?
    As for her being from Brazil and all the vitriol in the text that stems from that...

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Occasionally I will take a package in for my neighbour.

And he will do the same for me.

We always drop them over to each other on the day of receipt, not hang on to them for days on end. Not difficult to do.

Can we close the thread please?

She lives in the building with me and never left the post on the hall table but took it to her flat.
    She is wrong that's why the landlady was furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Occasionally I will take a package in for my neighbour.

And he will do the same for me.

We always drop them over to each other on the day of receipt, not hang on to them for days on end. Not difficult to do.

That's a mutual agreement with your neighbor. The "Brazilian" lady had no such agreement to drop in the package that day, or the next day, or the next. If you want it come and look for it, she's not the postman.

Treppen wrote: »
    That's a mutual agreement with your neighbor. The "Brazilian" lady had no such agreement to drop in the package that day, or the next day, or the next. If you want it come and look for it, she's not the postman.

She is in this house. She should have left it in the hall. The reason I mentioned brazil is we were trying to work out which tenant took it. I answer the door all the time for the others and I don't take their stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Treppen wrote: »

It just evolved. If it was a one-off, I wouldn't feel comfortable hanging on someone's else's package. I'd want to make sure it got to the recipient. And if they're in the same house, it's no real hardship to go downstairs and hand it over.

Apparently I am wrong for someone taking my post and keeping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Apparently I am wrong for someone taking my post and keeping it.

If you want to call to guards and/or have someone kicked out of the house over something as benign as this then yes, you are wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement