Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,686 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Who are you asking? One minute you want the forum to be a no Walshb place, yet here you are indirectly asking this question of me..because unless I missed something, I see no other poster bigging up Toney other than me.

move on. You made it clear that the forum has degenerated noticeably because of me.

You can’t discuss with me because to you my opinions are contrarian and bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Aye and he got the nod over Froch too I suppose. I’d have them even enough. Thought he did very well against Calz the cards were a little far apart for me. He was very good but I’m trying to think of one really good win, would Froch be his best? Ray and Hearns have some names on their records. That would be his way to go about things I’m not that sure his chin takes Hearn’s best shots. Ah I think it’s a toss up we’re probably splitting hairs. If they fought a number of times there could be any kinda combination of outcomes.

But Hearns didn't really beat anyone great at MW/SMW...

Stopped by Hagler. Knocked out and outpointed by Barkley across MW and LHW

Got a draw against past his best smaller Leonard at 168

DeWitt and Shuler stand out, but neither were that great....

Kessler fougt better opposition at 168 in my view, and showed me better capabilities at 168

As much as I loved Hearns, these weaknesses stood out for me: weak chin, weak legs, and very little innate survival skills. Not great at spoiling and ducking/diving/holding etc...I think these areas see him suffer against quality men who can punch and take a punch.

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

For me a proper slip or a roll your head comes back to where it was, Jones was more about foot movement yes his head moved but his whole body did

Toney for me was more comfortable in the pocket, He would sit in the pocket & slip & roll but stay there, Jones more likely to move in & out of the pocket in any direction ,

I think Roy was a better all round fighter but i think Toney is kind of a cult hero , all about what you like really,

Exactly. Roy relied on a different skill-set to avoid shots compared to Toney. It's pretty basic stuff. Toney used old skool slips and rolls and parries. Jones was more move back and avoid.

Toney was innate fighting type skills and tricks to defend and counter.

Roy was like Ali. Relied on range and speed/reflexes. When these eroded, just like Ali, Roy used what, a high guard!! That was his whole defense...and it' why his chin was then proper tested cleaner, and it failed him. Ali's didn't.

Toney's defense and rolls and slips were far more seasoned and natural and fighting type skills.

Can anyone envisage Enzo fooking Macarinelli knocking out James Toney? Even a 60 year old Toney wouldn't get knocked out by a prime Enzo, never mind the past it Enzo that took Roy out.

Roy doesn't get a pass for his clean KO losses to Tarver and Johnson, as Roy was not a shot fighter. He was still considered a top fighter. His chin was now simply more exposed, and it failed him, as did his ability to defend using other traits like what Toney had.

I don't agree that Jones was a better all round fighter. Toney had the chin and innate defenses that Roy did not have. Toney was the more complete fighter. Roy more the athletic marvel.

If you break it down to specific areas you can count up for one man or the other. BUT the whole package you need to consider that one man was never knocked out, and fought everyone. The other man was knocked out several times clean.

Speed feet: Jones

Hands: Jones

Jab: Toney

Power. Both had solid power.

Defense and ring IQ: Toney all the time. Born fighter

Survival defense: No brainer. Toney

Inside fighting: Toney

Resiliency/toughness: Toney

Combinations: Both could put together great varied combinations

Stamina: Toney had one of the best cardio boxing engines ever. Pure relaxed.

Chin: No brainer. Toney

Maybe I have missed some areas, but Toney for me eclipses Roy in several areas.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement

You’re missing one key area. When they fought Jones won by a shutout. If Toney had all those advantages then they should’ve counted for more when they met prime on prime.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Collins beat Eubanks and Benn and McCallum said he would never get in a ring with him again after they fought. Probably the most underrated is McCallum.

I never said he had any advantages.

I was waiting for this type reply.

A boxing match doesn’t work out like that. It’s not a case of ticking boxes and the one who has more ticks wins.

They fought once. A dull boring fight that Roy won using areas he was better on. Foot and hand speed. Other areas meant little, because Roy used his key areas to nullify. Credit to him.

my list wasn’t in the Roy vs Toney fighting each other sense..so I did not miss any key area.

Whyte still hasn’t been confirmed as WBC mandatory, and it now looks like Fury will have a defence against lesser known boxer early new year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Has the weight limits of the heavyweight division changed and I missed the memo?

with whyte listed as interim does that not put him in pole position? God it would annoy ya

As far as I'm aware he has to fight Whyte or Whyte gets the belt.

It’s bound to be the fight, what else makes sense? They might try to add some drama somehow but I think it’ll happen next

Nope at there convention yesterday they said they can't make Fury v Whyte as Whyte is in arbitration due to Wallin demanding his fight,

They WBC can & now might make Fury the Franchise champion , meaning he can go down other avenues to fight others & come back & fight the champion when he decides , Basically he would have no mandatory called by them ,

I get the feeling every time Hearn says the WBC will now have to X they say "ohh do we now " and go and do Y , I think sometimes he needs to keep his mouth shut or take a more we will wait and see approach, Sulaiman does not like being backed into a corner & Bob Arum plays it well by always bogging him up

It makes them look stupid or corrupt. Why do you have a fight for an interim belt if you are not going to give the interim champ a shot at the Champion?

Remember these guys want the most lucrative guys to be there champions ,

Is it wrong Yes of course,

Be some craic if Fury fought Wallin again after whyte pulling out of that fight. This deserve craic is a two way street

Absolutely!! I wouldn’t be a bit annoyed to see it either. It would surprise me. I think whyte fury is a great fight though

• Advertisement

Yes....I just want to see fights...and it's not just HW...The amount fighters across all weights not fighting each other....painful

No wonder we're harping on about the past and fantasy fights...

Post edited by walshb on

I see Pulev is fighting MMA fighter Frank Mir next month,

From AJ to Mir a bit mad

You’ve nailed it there. Although with aj Usyk and fury wilder the last few weeks that’s not bad.

Proves what level of ambition he has/has. A few years ago he’d have given aj a very tough fight though

Talk now of Pulev and Joyce… Joyce will fancy that as an easy night and it will bring him into the Joshua conversation.

Charles Martin vs Luis Ortiz on New Year’s Day. That’s an interesting one. I think Martin might well win that one - if he’s got himself straightened out at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I thought Pulev was fighting Frank Mir? If he is then clearly he is not interested in boxing.

Martin is probably the worst heavyweight champions ever. If Ortiz is half alive he will beat him IMO. If Martin wins it's because Ortiz is finally finished

Forget Pulev and Mir and AJ and Fury and Usyk and Wilder blah blah blah.

Parker-Chisora II is where it's at, lads!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Have to admit, think fury is right with regards to relaxing and having few pints and not being so strict, think gaa players here should take a leaf out of his book.

You do know that Fury is a drugs cheat as well?

• Advertisement

Yep. I get ya.....

This could be a first: two convicted drugs cheats battle it out for the lineal HW title...

Advertisement