Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dairy Farming General

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

sheebadog wrote: »
    Two ladies started milking for the first time this am.
    Won't have them back. They are the stick waving types. Push cows through at the highest speed possible. I think that it's a French thing.

My father must have a bit of French in him so.
    He started milking with me again and I hate having another person in the parlour. I'm just standing around.
    He shouts and bangs sticks off walls the whole job.
    I prefers to just open gate and give them a poke of the stick and walk them out.
    Calm cows relates to SCC and all that I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭mf240

7 30 am and 6/7 pm start milking.

Will start at 6 am if busy and can be anything up to 12 at night if busy or away for the day.

Been meaning to get a radio for parlour. Never use stick unless to tip a cow up into her place.

Cows don't like to be rushed and like to take their time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

sheebadog wrote: »
    Two ladies started milking for the first time this am.
    Won't have them back. They are the stick waving types. Push cows through at the highest speed possible. I think that it's a French thing.

That stick waving is backwards . The father made 4 attempts to back a heifer out of the crush with a fork this morning but didn't get her out and he left her there . A few minutes later my 8 yr old walked her back nice and quietly just waving his hand in front of her face .
    When she was out he asked the father would he put her in again and he would show him how to do it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

My father must have a bit of French in him so.
    He started milking with me again and I hate having another person in the parlour. I'm just standing around.
    He shouts and bangs sticks off walls the whole job.
    I prefers to just open gate and give them a poke of the stick and walk them out.
    Calm cows relates to SCC and all that I believe

100% agree on the scc.
    Changed milkers a while back and scc dropped by 50k almost immediately.
    Does anyone have the 'electric dog' to push cows through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Electric dog ???

Always think it's gas how a good dog can get cattle quickly and calmly out of a field, while if i was on foot or on a quad I'd have to zoom round like an edjit shouting and waving and getting stressed out and stressing them out..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm the lazy one here, up at 7.15 in the morning, evenings once I'm fully done by 7pm I'm happy. And couldn't live without the radio.

Must be the latest starting on here cups on at 8 in the morning and half 5 in the evening out the gate by 7 in the evening happy enough with that.radio here in some form since I can remember days ya would turn it on days ya would forget it was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

moy83 wrote: »
    That stick waving is backwards . The father made 4 attempts to back a heifer out of the crush with a fork this morning but didn't get her out and he left her there . A few minutes later my 8 yr old walked her back nice and quietly just waving his hand in front of her face .
    When she was out he asked the father would he put her in again and he would show him how to do it :D

Always found when milking cows back in the day strangely relaxing. Despite getting covered in ****e a lot the hum of the machine and all kind of shuts everything else out. While it can be very frustrating if you are in a hurry to get finished early slowing down to the cows pace and just letting them move at their own pace can get you to relax a bit too.

Stuck a radio in from time to time but the boss man and myself have very different tastes so if I had it on in a Sunday morning it could be oldies & irish from county sound and that would just make me want to turn the power hose on it, I'm sure he felt the same listing to kiss fm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Lol

Can someone remind me of the N & S in ASN and Sulphate of Amonia. I have some silage ground looking peeky, drought(only joking)

Bump, Freedom do you know or will I have to Google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭stanflt

Bump, Freedom do you know or will I have to Google

26n 14s

s o a 21n 24s

Do any of ye on here grant access to your icbf details to AI companies and the likes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭stanflt

Do any of ye on here grant access to your icbf details to AI companies and the likes?

Yeah all the ai companies have access to mine- however it has complicated the breeding season as there are list from all the different ai companies in the flask as to which straw goes in which animal
    But it has its perks as semen for these animals is very cheap wink wink nudge nudge

Vets and auctioneers have access also

stanflt wrote: »
    Yeah all the ai companies have access to mine- however it has complicated the breeding season as there are list from all the different ai companies in the flask as to which straw goes in which animal
    But it has its perks as semen for these animals is very cheap wink wink nudge nudge

Vets and auctioneers have access also

No flask of my own yet so can't go down that road yet.
    Will AI companies find the bull mothers with access?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

stanflt wrote: »
    26n 14s

s o a 21n 24s

I put out a lot of s o a in liquid form a good few years ago now on silage ground, 'twas free of charge at the time. Locked up a lot of minerals, mainly copper I think. Ever since I'm wary of applying too much sulphur in one go.

I put out a lot of s o a in liquid form a good few years ago now on silage ground, 'twas free of charge at the time. Locked up a lot of minerals, mainly copper I think. Ever since I'm wary of applying too much sulphur in one go.

Most of my farm loves it. Always get out 20 units. Did you get from Stonearch by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Not fond of putting out too much of any fert in one go. The fert for the silage is put out in 2 or more applications.
    I try to get S out via 2 half rate applications of ASN. And top up if needed with sulpha can or Richland.
    Sulphur saved my ass during the drought last year. It should be high up on the list on any land that is free draining.

Most of my farm loves it. Always get out 20 units. Did you get from Stonearch by any chance?

No. From a co. in Little Island. Can't remember their name. 'Twas used for refining a drug and given free to farmers. They are still doing it as far as I know. 20 units should be fine. I'd say I put out 3 times that much.:eek:

Sheeba for you
    Kmars

Paint, sorry but can only load 2 pics at a time?

Paint, sorry but can only load 2 pics at a time?

How many cows do they do?
    My father still doesn't believe in tail paint. Asked him this morning who was bulling. He couldn't answer me :)

• Advertisement

I get about 60-70 cows from each bottle. I know a lad who uses a rad roller and ordinary tail paint . The rad roller allows him to apply from the milking parlour pit. Must try it myself.

I get about 60-70 cows from each bottle. I know a lad who uses a rad roller and ordinary tail paint . The rad roller allows him to apply from the milking parlour pit. Must try it myself.

I do it from the pit with the pot and brush. Paint everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,839 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

i use the spray on tail paint in pit

With the rad roller you don't have to go climbing.

With the rad roller you don't have to go climbing.

How will that work?

whelan2 wrote: »
    i use the spray on tail paint in pit

Tried that last year. Very expensive and only get about 20 cows/can

Tried that last year. Very expensive and only get about 20 cows/can
    really, i do them all with 1 can, then the next week i use a different colour

Maybe I was being excessive so :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭linebacker52

Use the cans all the time its the only job I dont think its expensive it only has to get one cow in calf to pay for itself.

Same for heifers tired everything kamars scratch cards etc went back to tail paint last year and just spending half an hour watching them a couple of times a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

That one surely belongs in the best moment in farming thread :D

Its one thing i cant stand is watching lads use a stick for no reason, really pisses me off when i see lad in mart ring and he has to hit the stick off every bloody animal, including calves following the mother out the gate :(:(:(

• Advertisement

Zr105 wrote: »
    That one surely belongs in the best moment in farming thread :D

Its one thing i cant stand is watching lads use a stick for no reason, really pisses me off when i see lad in mart ring and he has to hit the stick off every bloody animal, including calves following the mother out the gate :(:(:(

Ye friend of mine told me he throws away all the sticks out of the parlour :D his father goes wild.
    I only use a stick to guide animals. Only hit if they try go through me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

What is the name of the stuff you use ?
    How many cows will 1 can do?

td5man wrote: »
    i get around 80-90 cows out of a can, no need to spray autumn calvers at the minute, will go out and look at name on can, i just pick up a few different colours in the vets/deeside

i get around 80-90 cows out of a can, no need to spray autumn calvers at the minute, will go out and look at name on can, i just pick up a few different colours in the vets/deeside

FIL made the one I had bought

Why change colour weekly?

Why change colour weekly?
    the ones that havent had a heat will have a few colours on them

td5man wrote: »
    its a white can with red and green writting on it, mac is the brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Same here! :)

How will that work?

Long reach with an elbow on it and not too wide,used for painting behind radiators.

http://www.paintmarine.co.uk/22-rad-roller-handle-185-p.asp

• Advertisement

Washing two milk tank's everyday is some pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Done it for 9 years fair pain in the hole in the summer time with one outside and the lid left open in the sun baked into it if you were away the day the lorry was collecting

its a white can with red and green writting on it, mac is the brand
    scrap that, can broke my heart this evening, the can i used before that was called tell tail and was alot better, can kept getting blocked up

Grand to be filling them

Grand to be filling them
    last year i didnt use my second tank at all, this year is different thank god

last year i didnt use my second tank at all, this year is different thank god

Ye ditto that. Think we only filled two tanks once for 3 days.
    This year were filling the two in 2 days. Had to go every day collection now :)

• Advertisement

Ye ditto that. Think we only filled two tanks once for 3 days.
    This year were filling the two in 2 days. Had to go every day collection now :)
    there is an automatic washer on my kilkenny tank but its not working must ring the lads tomorrow to fix it. The other tank i get into it once a week

there is an automatic washer on my kilkenny tank but its not working must ring the lads tomorrow to fix it. The other tank i get into it once a week

Ah mine have lids on them. Fullwood told us they would give us a loan of a tank if we were buying off them until we got grant sorted so might call in on that offer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

best thing i ever bought bulk tank with low tbc, saving electricity and no worries about filling it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm putting milk into a mobile tanker at the minute, I don't even have capacity for 2day collection anymore. Again a good complaint!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is it one of them kilkenny washers? We have one, I don't know how it still goes, the circuit is fried on it, I've bypassed that with a normal switch that lets you manually washout the tank at least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement