Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Farming General

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

moy83 wrote: »
    Would you want to be living there though ? The father always said it would be the right job to sell up and move where the weather and land could make farming enjoyable

Don't know. I'd never sell farm here. Be a nice idea to set up second farm though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Don't know. I'd never sell farm here. Be a nice idea to set up second farm though

Never say never , it would be hard keep an eye on things if you had farms in two different countries .

@sheebadog do you have any farming interest in Ireland now or is it all in France ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

@sheebadog. How do they set the lease value over that number of years. Is there any rent reviews over the 18 yrs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

@sheebadog. How do they set the lease value over that number of years. Is there any rent reviews over the 18 yrs.

Rent is set by the Government and is reviewed every year, often reviewed down if there is drought etc.
    It's very favourable to the farmer.

moy83 wrote: »
    Never say never , it would be hard keep an eye on things if you had farms in two different countries .

@sheebadog do you have any farming interest in Ireland now or is it all in France ?

I've other interests in Ireland but you have to be here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

sheebadog wrote: »
    I've other interests in Ireland but you have to be here.

I was thinking you would alright .

stanflt wrote: »
    At maize too

Stan would you know the index on the variety you are growing?

Indices are on the bag as an FAO number.
    The south of France would have an index of 450. Where I am would have an index of 370 but as we are getting late now I'll plant an index of 300.

I find that the index number is a lot more important than the variety that the salesman is pushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

Stan would you know the index on the variety you are growing?

Indices are on the bag as an FAO number.
    The south of France would have an index of 450. Where I am would have an index of 370 but as we are getting late now I'll plant an index of 300.

I find that the index number is a lot more important than the variety that the salesman is pushing.

Just looked at the bags there- no fao number
    One that says 297

It's p8200 from pioneer

stanflt wrote: »
    Just looked at the bags there- no fao number
    One that says 297

It's p8200 from pioneer

It's hardly 297 as the north of France is less than 250. I would guess that you should be on 150 to 200??

With planting the correct index you can be certain of harvest date.
    The day I plant forage maize I will be harvesting exactly 120 days later - I could even book the contractor!
    Indices are important because the smaller the number the greater the early vigour which would be invaluable in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

Went for cows at 3, started milking and relief guy landed at 4 as arranged as I planned an evening out with missus and kids. 3 rows in cow with ecoli, waiting for vet

Rot your sack!!!

• Advertisement

Went for cows at 3, started milking and relief guy landed at 4 as arranged as I planned an evening out with missus and kids. 3 rows in cow with ecoli, waiting for vet

Rot your sack!!!

What does a cow with ecoli look like?

What does a cow with ecoli look like?

Phucked

Phucked

Have you never had one? Really sick, fell in, dehydrated and failing fast.

Treat with IV and lots of fluids and TLC. Another cull if she makes it

Not that I know of.
    I've forgotten about all the mastitis we had.
    Didn't know they would get ecoli when there out grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Gram negative bacteria. Framycetin and cronixin should get it. If she recovers, put her on once a day and in a couple of weeks will be fine on 3 quarters. I speak from experience.:mad:

Gram negative bacteria. Framycetin and cronixin should get it. If she recovers, put her on once a day and in a couple of weeks will be fine on 3 quarters. I speak from experience.:mad:

Fram and cronixin with Revive dissolved in 30 litres of water pumped in. She's a bit brighter already. Luckily her temp was high not low

My heifer is looking a lot better. Giving feck all milk though. Have her on OAD but she's only putting out 5l.
    Wasnt thinking right last night and I only gave here 15ml of the rapidexon instead of 30

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

What are they, injections or tubes? Have had about 5cases of what looks like ecoli here over the last 2 yrs, one cow died from it, another the udder fell off her (literally!), somehow survived, was sold the other day as a cull for small money. Other were were only the one spin, thankfully all recovered as 3 spinners.

Timmaay wrote: »
    What are they, injections or tubes? Have had about 5cases of what looks like ecoli here over the last 2 yrs, one cow died from it, another the udder fell off her (literally!), somehow survived, was sold the other day as a cull for small money. Other were were only the one spin, thankfully all recovered as 3 spinners.
    The only chance is if you're early. If temp drops call knacker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

Ya getting them in time you will save cow but not quarter.

It's watery or tea coulered stuff with little or no clots. Drawing out as much as possible and getting fluids in will help.

Removing teat will let out all the poison and save cow, but I'm not sure if it's allowed.

• Advertisement

Have had a fair few cows with chronic staph, udders burst open with all the mastitis. Not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Timmaay wrote: »

Injections. Framycetin is antibiotic and cronixin is antiflamitory. I think E. coli is the only gram negative mastitis and most people would go with the penicillins which would be ok for other forms but not for E. coli. If the udder fell off then that would probably be gangrene mastitis. Only ever saw one case of it and not pretty. You were lucky to save the cows life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

cobactin rumecam or flinixin and shi t e loads of water with chanedol

if got within 12hours cow will not lose quarter

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Have had a couple over the years. Came back fine on affected teat the next year. Awful dose if not treated fast, very easy to lose them. Goes right thru the cow

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If the udder fell off then that would probably be gangrene mastitis. Only ever saw one case of it and not pretty. You were lucky to save the cows life.

Bloody lucky, I was just about to call the knackery when my dad convinced me to leave her there another day or so, she made a big improvement and the swelling in her belly dropped back alot. Got 300quid for her the other day, instead of spending 100quid or so getting rid of her, I'll put my hands up and admit my dad was right on that one ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

If got early... Treating for ecoli shouldn't be a problem... We use noroclav... Ketofen and marbox.... For 3 days.... And obviously tube affected quarter... And strip out quarter regularly....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Rot your sack!!!
    Know your pain was suppose to have the weekend off ,was driving by were the cows were on the way to town saturday and noticed 4 cows down on the last area they grazed. Investigated and all 4 were down. Had to go round to a few different farms to find some calcium. Got them all bagged and lifted but 2 of the bitchs have trapped nerves but on the mend.

Started ploughing for soya beans today.

Bit of dust about.

• Advertisement

Bit of dust about.

This discussion has been closed.