Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing a white Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

murpho999 wrote: »
    No and I don't care if Irish people wear one their choice but I don't support providing funds to a foreign charity that supports ex soldiers in Britain.

My point is about people calling for Irish people to wear them or for Irish state to get behind the day when the point is that we have our own memorial day in July just like other countries have their own days.

Comparing to St Patrick's Day is ridiculous to be honest as it's a celebration or culture and heritage without political meanings or controversy or being asked to buy a symbol to support a charity.

Nobody is calling for Irish people to where a poppy nor for the government to get behind the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If someone from any one of those countries is living in or visiting Ireland then whats the problem with them wearing one. No one is forcing Irish people in Ireland to wear one.

Do you know anywhere in Dublin that sells them? Used to wear one on ANZAC Day back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

When was the last time you were in Ireland and someone asked or expected you to have a "poppy day"?

Thanksgiving, veterans day, memorial day, these are all unique to the USA, Would you have an issue with an American living in Ireland celebrating any of those days?

Is that all you can do?
    Scour the calendar for other irrelvant foreign events that do not involve symbolism or have a political background?

Where did I say that British people in Ireland should not wear the poppy?

That being said, I'm sure you know full well that the British army has a long history in Ireland and the poppy represent that and some people have difficulty with it.

The issue is not British people "celebrating" it but the notion that Ireland should be involved and that Irish people in Irelan should support the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Do you know anywhere in Dublin that sells them? Used to wear one on ANZAC Day back home.

Not been in Ireland for a few years now but I used to buy off the RBL website and get them posted to me.

Is that all you can do?
    Scour the calendar for other irrelvant foreign events that do not involve symbolism or have a political background?

That being said, I'm sure you know full well that the British army has a long history in Ireland and the poppy represent that and some people have difficulty with it.

The issue is not British people "celebrating" it but the notion that Ireland should be involved and that Irish people in Irelan should support the appeal.

Who has said Irish people "should support the appeal"? Who has even said Irish people should be any way involved?

• Advertisement

Nobody is calling for Irish people to where a poppy nor for the government to get behind the day.

So why are these threads here every year?

Why is Sentator Frank Feighan call for members of the Oireachtas to wear it (Link)

So why are these threads here every year?

Why is Sentator Frank Feighan call for members of the Oireachtas to wear it (Link)

Maybe ask the Irish people who start them every year that question?

Who has said Irish people "should support the appeal"? Who has even said Irish people should be any way involved?

Well this thread is asking for Irish People to wear a white poppy as a compomise.

Maybe you should read the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Well this thread is asking for Irish People to wear a white poppy as a compomise.

Your posts are like a madmans ****e , all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

When was the last time you were in Ireland and someone asked or expected you to have a "poppy day"?

Thanksgiving, veterans day, memorial day, these are all unique to the USA, Would you have an issue with an American living in Ireland celebrating any of those days?

No one in Ireland is being forced or pushed into it. Ya there's a few politicians and others over the last few years jumping on it to look all evolves and whatever but it's nothing really.

But don't try pretend that you are stupid or naive enough to think the the British army and the US army have the same history in this country

• Advertisement

I know what's your issue with .White popy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Never wore a white poppy myself, although I have no issues with it as it represents peace, which is good.

Your posts are like a madmans ****e , all over the place.

Yea whatever, don't bother debating.

Good luck

I know what's your issue with .White popy?

It's just a stupid idea.

Why is there call for a compromise when the colour of the poppy is not the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is that all you can do?

Must be Bigot day today.

I’m not aware of any Irish State sponsored push to get people to buy poppies or celebrate RD, is there one?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Must be Bigot day today.

How on earth is anything I've said bigoted?

I'm pointing out that there's no need for Ireland to be involved with British remembrance day as we have our own memorial day just like other countries.

The way people twist things here is unreal.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Must be Bigot day today.

I’m not aware of any Irish State sponsored push to get people to buy poppies or celebrate RD, is there one?

It is. Are you not wearing your bigot day badge like the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

How on earth is anything I've said bigoted.

I'm pointing out that there's no need for Ireland to be involved with British remembrance day as we have our own memorial day just like other countries.

The way people twist things here is unreal.

My God some of your posts are so bitter and twisted, so who's your real hero, Lord Haw Haw or Sean Russell?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I see Kilkenny unveiled a memorial to Thomas Joseph Woodgate who was 14 years old ,the youngest Irish casualties of ww1 the lad had lied about his age to join the royal army flying corp now RAF ,he lost his life aboard RMS Leinster along with 568 others after the ship was torpedoed by the Germans

My God some of your posts are so bitter and twisted, so who's your real hero, Lord Haw Haw or Sean Russell?

Bitter & twisted but you make the jump of debating against the idea of people in Ireland wearing poppies just means that the person is a Nazi sympathiser.

Really getting ridiculous.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It is. Are you not wearing your bigot day badge like the rest of us

Sure am, cause I have a right to do so.

Gatling wrote: »
    I see Kilkenny unveiled a memorial to Thomas Joseph Woodgate who was 14 years old ,the youngest Irish casualties of ww1 the lad had lied about his age to join the royal army flying corp now RAF ,he lost his life aboard RMS Leinster along with 568 others after the ship was torpedoed by the Germans

I saw that at the time on RTE. Link here

Tributes like that are correct and an important nod to history.

It's just a stupid idea.

Why is there call for a compromise when the colour of the poppy is not the problem?

I've never even seen a white poppy, maybe ask the person who started the thread?

Bitter & twisted but you make the jump of debating against the idea of people in Ireland wearing poppies just means that the person is a Nazi sympathiser.

Really getting ridiculous.

Whats your issue? If you were walking down a street in Dublin/Cork/Limerick and seen someone wearing a poppy how would this affect you/your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Wearing any colour of poppy to commemorate war is jingoistic shyte. Leave it were it belongs, in the last century y

cj maxx wrote: »
    Wearing any colour of poppy to commemorate war is jingoistic shyte. Leave it were it belongs, in the last century y

Along with opinions like this from people who think it is ok to tell others what they should support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Whats your issue? If you were walking down a street in Dublin/Cork/Limerick and seen someone wearing a poppy how would this affect you/your life?

I would quietly think that person is a bit of a dickhead, wearing a symbol strongly associated with a military power that caused so much misery and bloodshed in this country.

.anon. wrote: »
    I would quietly think that person is a bit of a dickhead, wearing a symbol strongly associated with a military power that caused so much misery and bloodshed in this country.

That would be your opinion and you would be entitled to hold that opinion.

.anon. wrote: »

Same here. I wouldn't get angry or upset but I would think the wearer made an insensitive choice and it's not something I would do if I was in a country with similar histories to UK/Ireland

If your aim is to commemorate all victims of all wars like the poppy claims to do then I think the best way to do that in Ireland is to not wear a symbol associated with a former occupational force.

• Advertisement

Why do you keep bringing it down to an individual level. I couldn't care if a person was wearing one. I would find it strange that an Irish person would buy one but that's their business.

I've been talking about at a national and official level but you don't want to see that and trying to make out that I'm against an individual.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement