Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing a white Poppy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

KevRossi wrote: »
    Try appearing on TV without one. Look at the shouting match around some players refusing to have one on their match shirts. I’m also aware of a couple of offices where people are ‘encouraged’ (ordered) to wear them.

It’s a very new fad, very few people wore them 20 years ago.

I think I posted this here last year but the company I work for (in the UK) take on a few service men and women so naturally they'd have a bit of push for this. The ex-service folk are almost always sound as a pound but for some reason it always attracts a certain kind of eejit too. Someone, last year had the brainwave to suggest going round the desks looking for donations (with a contactless card machine too). It was beyond awkward.

To top it all off then someone in our estate had the event better idea to go around doorstepping people (under the guise it was their kid's idea) at 11 on a Sunday morning.

Every day is a day closer to moving home!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If someone from any one of those countries is living in or visiting Ireland then whats the problem with them wearing one. No one is forcing Irish people in Ireland to wear one.

Who mentioned anyhing about foreigners here?

My point is that Poppy day is not an Irish event and should not be a discussion each year.

Like other countries we have our own memorial day. It's very simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,456 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

murpho999 wrote: »

My point is that Poppy day is not an Irish event and should not be a discussion each year.

I agree, unfortunately this is a boards tradition, its up there with the annual Xmas tree threads.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Surely you are not saying that because you don’t “see the need”, nobody else should?

I'm talking about Irish people and Ireland as a nation.

I don't see the need for this to be discussion point every year.

Other countries don't mark it or wear poppies and have their own memorial day and we'r no different to those.

I dont see the need for a St Patrick's day parade in Liverpool, London, New York every year, I dont start a thread every year whinging about it though.

Completely different event and not really comparable.

• Advertisement

Completely different event and not really comparable.

The annual paddy's day parade in my city inconveniences me and others way more than a random person wearing a small paper/plastic/ceramic poppy does you or others.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I've ten plus family members who served in the British Army , just the one recently in the Irish army so really I'll choose to remember all those that died.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Do you need to buy a poppy from the Royal British Legion to do that?

The annual paddy's day parade in my city inconveniences me and others way more than a random person wearing a small paper/plastic/ceramic poppy does you or others.

Ok well again that's a completely different issue and you should get onto your local council who licenced the parade.

It's nothing to do with the poppy event and the debate is not about inconvenience.

I've ten plus family members who served in the British Army , just the one recently in the Irish army so really I'll choose to remember all those that died.

OK, but why do you need to buy a Poppy from a British charity to remember them?

Isn't the fact you remember them not enough?

Why do we need public displays of these "remembrances"?

I don't get it. My great grandfather fought in the Somme in the British Army by the way.

• Advertisement

OK, but why do you need to buy a Poppy from a British charity to remember them?

Isn't the fact you remember them not enough?

Why do we need public displays of these "remembrances"?

I don't get it. My great grandfather fought in the Somme in the British Army by the way.

I dont need to , its choice .

Ok well again that's a completely different issue and you should get onto your local council who licenced the parade.

It's nothing to do with the poppy event and the debate is not about inconvenience.

You're right, its about the hurt feelings of a tiny minority.

• Site Banned Posts: 29 significantly

It's about a choice of supporting the murderers of innocent Irish people or not. You stand proud behind them, that's your choice. Allow others to voice their concerns if that's their view.

It's about a choice of supporting the murderers of innocent Irish people or not. You stand proud behind them, that's your choice. Allow others to voice their concerns if that's their view.

Absolutely, voice your concerns , thats democracy but respect my choice.

One of your earlier posts mentioned Bloody Sunday and the parachute regiment, have a Google about what Canada did to its parachute regiment after Somalia.
    Charging or trying to charge a couple of elderly men is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Your posting is antagonistic and putting words in people's mouths. In general you can stop doing that please, but for this thread, don't post here again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Poppy season seems to start earlier and earlier each year.

No, it's about financially supporting all veterans of the British army, whether they served in Iraq, Afghanistan, Northern Ireland...

statesaver wrote: »
    Poppy season seems to start earlier and earlier each year.

Not really, you rarely see a poppy in England before October 31st, I just think the poppy threads get earlier every year.

No, it's about financially supporting all veterans of the British army, whether they served in Iraq, Afghanistan, Northern Ireland...

I'm a veteran of Iraq, I have never received a penny from the RBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I'm a veteran of Iraq, I have never received a penny from the RBL.

Hopefully all the money went to the victims of the war crimes instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's not an opinion. You buy the poppy every year, you stated this. The money from this goes to support members of the British armed forces, including the murderers of innocent Irish people.

Many Irish people contribute to the annual poppy appeal, and many of us wear the poppy (red or white) at remembrance time.

You are seriously stirring the sh1t.

No for me it's simple that Ireland is a different country to UK. Very few countries have a poppy day.

We have our own memorial day.

We don't mark Guy Fawkes Day, Royal Weddings etc. Have different bank holidays, it's as simple as that. It's not an Irish tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,227 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No for me it's simple that Ireland is a different country to UK. Very few countries have a poppy day.

We don't mark Guy Fawkes Day, Royal Weddings etc. Have different bank holidays, it's as simple as that. It's not an Irish tradition.

Do you object to people in other countries joining in on St Patrick’s day celebrations?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,936 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't wait for Luftwaffe bomber pilot commemoration day so I can wear my badge around London

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Wrong, wrong, wrong and ... wrong.

We in Ireland lost 50,000 men in the Great War hence this loss triggered the annual poppy appeal in Ireland, with more poppies being sold on the streets of Dublin than Manchester & Glasgow combined in the 1930s. Since then the tradition has slowly ebbed away with constant negativity being hurled towards the memory of those 50,000 Irish men, and in recent decades the poppy is mostly seen inside the walls of Church of Ireland Churches leading up to and on remembrance Day (11th November) or nearest Sunday. The President of Ireland attends the annual poppy day remembrance service in St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin, with many smaller remembrance events taking place all over the island, specially up North. The new remembrance event in July Is in addition (but not replacing) Remembrance/poppy day which continues as a tradition on Ireland.

Several family members of mine died in WWII fighting against the Nazis, so I wear my poppy with pride.

I thought the original point of the poppy was 'never again' ...?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Do you object to people in other countries joining in on St Patrick’s day celebrations?

No and I don't care if Irish people wear one their choice but I don't support providing funds to a foreign charity that supports ex soldiers in Britain.

My point is about people calling for Irish people to wear them or for Irish state to get behind the day when the point is that we have our own memorial day in July just like other countries have their own days.

Comparing to St Patrick's Day is ridiculous to be honest as it's a celebration or culture and heritage without political meanings or controversy or being asked to buy a symbol to support a charity.

Wrong, wrong, wrong and ... wrong.

We in Ireland lost 50,000 men in the Great War hence this loss triggered the annual poppy appeal in Ireland, with more poppies being sold on the streets of Dublin than Manchester & Glasgow combined in the 1930s. Since then the tradition has slowly ebbed away with constant negativity being hurled towards the memory of those 50,000 Irish men, and in recent decades the poppy is mostly seen inside the walls of Church of Ireland Churches leading up to and on remembrance Day (11th November) or nearest Sunday. The President of Ireland attends the annual poppy day remembrance service in St Patrick's Cathedral Dublin, with many smaller remembrance events taking place all over the island, specially up North. The new remembrance event in July Is in addition (but not replacing) Remembrance/poppy day which continues as a tradition on Ireland.

Several family members of mine died in WWII fighting against the Nazis, so I wear my poppy with pride.

So I'm not wrong, wrong wrong and wrong then.

Ireland in the 30's was not fully a republic or established its full status.

Country has moved on its people are not fully behind the Poppy Appeal as it's viewed as a foreign event.

President attending a Church of Ireland event is just politeness but also shows the divide behind the event.
    I bet he's not wearing the poppy though or laying a wreath of poppies.

I would argue that the remembrance day in November is a tradition in Ireland only amongst a very small minority and most associated with UK in Northern Ireland and Church of Ireland here.

The vast majority of the population in Ireland is not behind it but every year people from within the minority behind it seem to try and force people here to support it.

Great you remember your Irish relatives that died in the wars but why not get behind an Irish cause in July rather than support a foreign charity in November that takes the money out of the country.

When was the last time you were in Ireland and someone asked or expected you to have a "poppy day"?

Thanksgiving, veterans day, memorial day, these are all unique to the USA, Would you have an issue with an American living in Ireland celebrating any of those days?

• Advertisement

So I'm not wrong, wrong wrong and wrong then.

Ireland in the 30's was not fully a republic or established its full status.

Country has moved on its people are not fully behind the Poppy Appeal as it's viewed as a foreign event.

President attending a Church of Ireland event is just politeness but also shows the divide behind the event.
    I bet he's not wearing the poppy though or laying a wreath of poppies.

I would argue that the remembrance day in November is a tradition in Ireland only amongst a very small minority and most associated with UK in Northern Ireland and Church of Ireland here.

The vast majority of the population in Ireland is not behind it but every year people from within the minority behind it seem to try and force people here to support it.

Great you remember your Irish relatives that died in the wars but why not get behind an Irish cause in July rather than support a foreign charity in November that takes the money out of the country.

When/where did this happen?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement