Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BuzzG wrote: »
    I think people might be jumping to conclusions about the legality or not of the FreeDab MUX. We are not privy to any conversations which may be happening in the background with the relevant regulatory authorities.

I think what they are doing is great, fair play to them for taking the iniative and starting up the service and I hope they can get any regulatory approvals in place to continue the service because I believe choice is a great thing and can only make the market bigger and better.

Edit: Just to add I've no connection with FreeDab bar being an enthusiastic observer seeing how their service grows / develops.

There are no conversations with the BAI/Comreg that would allow you to operate an unlicenced multiplex carrying unlicenced operators during said conversation

Its pirate. That is undeniable. Whether people care is a matter for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

That's a fair point L1011, I guess with something like this you would need to have your ducks in a row regulatory speaking before you would begin broadcasting to be in compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

Is the freedab service still on in Cork? Was in the city yesterday and nothing stopped on a Dab or Dab+ scan. I was getting the usual RTE stuff, I was in blackpool shopping centre car park & Little Island industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

Hi Keith it seems you might have issues with your antenna on your dab radio . I was in water grass hill yesterday and it was booming in .And at home.?

Franko87 wrote: »
    Hi Keith it seems you might have issues with your antenna on your dab radio . I was in water grass hill yesterday and it was booming in .And at home.?

That’s strange, it’s the car radio, No problem with the RTE stuff on DAB & FM stations fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

My guess is your radio is dab only if that's the case .as It is impossible that you couldn't recieve it. Unless you can recieve 2fm+ then your radio is dab only

• Registered Users Posts: 9 digitalise

Franko87 wrote: »
    My guess is your radio is dab only if that's the case .as It is impossible that you couldn't recieve it. Unless you can recieve 2fm+ then your radio is dab only

If he had a DAB-only radio it would still find the FreeDAB multiplex and list all the stations - they would just be silent. The key difference between DAB and DAB+ radios is that DAB+ can decode both MPEG-2 Layer II and AAC. DAB radios can only decode MPEG-2 Layer II audio.

digitalise wrote: »
    If he had a DAB-only radio it would still find the FreeDAB multiplex and list all the stations - they would just be silent. The key difference between DAB and DAB+ radios is that DAB+ can decode both MPEG-2 Layer II and AAC. DAB radios can only decode MPEG-2 Layer II audio.

I can get the freedab stations in Dublin when I’m in Tallaght thats why I asked the question was it still on in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Anyone else still finding the FreeDAB signal a bit hit an miss? Driving around it goes in and out of signal depending on whether you are stationary or moving. All fine on the RTE offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

Anyone else still finding the FreeDAB signal a bit hit an miss? Driving around it goes in and out of signal depending on whether you are stationary or moving. All fine on the RTE offerings.

This is a great concept and I now find myself listening to the different DAB stations on this and RTE DAB and just not bothering with FM at all. Even in good weather last week I was picking up BBC stations on DAB from somewhere.

As you say reception can be glitchy driving so maybe it cant penetrate large buildings and such. It has been improving though so maybe this is not the final product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Its bizzare that seeing as DAB itself didnt take off that you now need to buy another radio to get DAB+ total disincentive.

Is Freedab live in Sligo,I asked them but no response? I live 8 km outside of Sligo town so maybe I wont receive a signal anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

New addition to the line up - Atlantis Radio (60s music).

JDxtra wrote: »

Is it this one?

https://www.atlantisradio.uk/

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Yes, seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

mWseNU7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Atlantis is another surprise entry on FreeDAB. This station has some presenters that go back to Radio Caroline the offshore pirate in the '80s, e.g. Kevin Turner and Dave Asher. Kevin Turner has been involved with these joint ventures between Radio Caroline (now a legal entity) and Radio Manx in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Atlantis is another surprise entry on FreeDAB. This station has some presenters that go back to Radio Caroline the offshore pirate in the '80s, e.g. Kevin Turner and Dave Asher. Kevin Turner has been involved with these joint ventures between Radio Caroline (now a legal entity) and Radio Manx in recent times.

Roger Matthews is another ex Caroline jock from the Mi Amigo days in the 70s who has a slot on Atlantis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Roger Matthews is another ex Caroline jock from the Mi Amigo days in the 70s

I suppose the point I am making is one I have made before in relation to Zenith. We have a station like Atlantis with presenters, who have left the pirate scene many years ago, and here it is joining an illegal DAB operation. I'm wondering do the people behind Atlantis, or the presenters there, realize that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Roger Matthews is another ex Caroline jock from the Mi Amigo days in the 70s

I suppose the point I am making is one I have made before in relation to Zenith. We have a station like Atlantis with presenters, who have left the pirate scene many years ago, and here it is joining an illegal DAB operation. I'm wondering do the people behind Atlantis, or the presenters there, realize that.
    Tbh I doubt if they are really bothered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

In Dublin it has improved but not anywhere near rte's dab .Free dab still very glitchy in certain parts of Dublin .I think the guys may need a better site .
    They should give the guys in 1025kiss a shout .They must have some site .I can listen most of the way to Dundalk

I've asked a couple of times here but received no response but does anyone know if the Freedab trial is launching in Sligo and will it be DAB+?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

zorro2566 wrote: »
    I've asked a couple of times here but received no response but does anyone know if the Freedab trial is launching in Sligo and will it be DAB+?

As far as I'm aware it's on in Sligo and on DAB+. Contact them and ask maybe. Might only be on low power.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

castle2012 wrote: »
    In Dublin it has improved but not anywhere near rte's dab .Free dab still very glitchy in certain parts of Dublin .I think the guys may need a better site .
    They should give the guys in 1025kiss a shout .They must have some site .I can listen most of the way to Dundalk

I can hardly get 1025Kiss in Lucan, Leixlip, Celbridge or Maynooth. Must be a bit of a black spot out that way.

Yes freedab has improved a lot, some antenna work still needed I think.

As far as I'm aware it's on in Sligo and on DAB+. Contact them and ask maybe. Might only be on low power.

I did, but they haven't responded! I live 8 km from Sligo town and can't pick up anything on DAB with my Roberts Stream 93i.

New station on it today - Global Radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Anglers

New station on it today - Global Radio.

Thats Global 104.9FM Cork, They have switch off the FM here in Cork and joined up to Freedab Network. They posted on FB Page last weekend that it was there intention to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

Just going through the list of DAB stations on my car radio, there's about 27 pages of channels, alot of which are UK based and can't be picked up, but I did notice that the stations on the RTE Mux are the only ones that don't use PTY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

castle2012 wrote: »

Not a sign of it in crumlin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Now Fm are still banging away on there app and nowfm.ie .Did these guys return to fm over the last few months ?
    Surprised they didn't go up on Freedab

Advertisement