Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

So Zenith Rock, a well-established station which has had a number of temporary licenses, with some well established broadcasters, is now technically broadcasting illegally?

No idea, never heard of Zenith Rock before the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Zenith were carried on the licensed trial DAB multiplex in Dublin a few years ago on Block 12A.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,986 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i see a nonstop 90s mentioned on the recent list. is that the uk based one or has the dublin one started up again?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

i see a nonstop 90s mentioned on the recent list. is that the uk based one or has the dublin one started up again?

This seems to be more of a placeholder as there is no audio branding on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I see Storm North-East on the Dublin Mux, Have they turned off FM?
    Storm north east have been part time(evening s and weekends) for a number years and are only available on fm in Dundalk and the north side of drogheda. I would say that will remain until freedabs area is expanded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

JDxtra wrote: »
    12 stations on the Dublin MUX this afternoon. All with audio and most have added dymanic 'now playing' song info.

Coast FM
    Easy Radio
    Jump Radio
    Non Stop 90s
    NRG Radio Cork
    Spektrum Radio
    Storm North East
    Total Country
    TrancePulse
    Trax
    True 80s
    Zenith Rock

Jump Radio...Lawrence John’s station? Long time since he was a pirate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

castle2012 wrote: »
    Storm north east have been part time(evening s and weekends) for a number years and are only available on fm in Dundalk and the north side of drogheda. I would say that will remain until freedabs area is expanded

But it’s still on FM at the moment, is that not a risk, A pirate station on the platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

It's not !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Zenith Classic Rock:
    https://www.zenithclassicrock.com/

The presenters:
    https://www.zenithclassicrock.com/presenters

Do they actually know that they are part of an illegal broadcast in this Dublin DAB? The one in Cork isn't illegal, neither were their online broadcasts or their temporary licence runs over the last 8 or 9 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Franko87

Declan where are you getting your infomation from as it is well short of the truth.

• Advertisement

Declan where are you getting your infomation from as it is well short of the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MrPops

Franko87 wrote: »

So you're saying the FreeDAB multiplex is legal? That statement would fall well short of the truth. It is 100% illegal in both Dublin and Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 MrPops

Zenith Classic Rock:
    https://www.zenithclassicrock.com/

The presenters:
    https://www.zenithclassicrock.com/presenters

Do they actually know that they are part of an illegal broadcast in this Dublin DAB? The one in Cork isn't illegal, neither were their online broadcasts or their temporary licence runs over the last 8 or 9 years.

FreeDAB is illegal in both Cork and Dublin, Declan.

Quite surprising to see Zenith listed as it is owned by a well known Broadcast Engineer attached with many licenced stations across the country.

MrPops wrote: »
    FreeDAB is illegal in both Cork and Dublin, Declan.

Quite surprising to see Zenith listed as it is owned by a well known Broadcast Engineer attached with many licenced stations across the country.

Okay, I may be a bit confused about DAB in general. I'm not an expert. However, according to a previous post, Zenith had been involved a few years ago in a licensed trial DAB Multiplex in Dublin. Obviously, that is different from FreeDAB. As I say, I am not an expert! I saw elsewhere that they have been involved in a licensed DAB trial in Cork.

8Radio.com are currently available on DAB in Cork. Is that the same FreeDAB that is illegal? If so, there are some strange things happening in the radio world at the moment. They have also been on a number of temporary licenses including this year. In fact, they were available on DAB in Cork during their last temporary license run!

CORRECTION: 8Radio.com are on EIRDAB in Cork. I think that is different from FreeDAB from what I can see! So, that it probably not an issue at all.

Hi Declan. The EirDab trial in Cork ended on August 5th of this year. During its one year trial it had carried UCB Ireland, Radio Maria, Juice Cork, RiRa, 8Radio and Christmas FM.

News flash as if this morning eirdab has commenced broadcasting. Good to see them back and pushing dab .hats off to john and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

in Cork or Dublin ?

There cork mux is now live did thay get a second trial I wonder ? There very quite if that's the case .just checked again and there off .my guess is someone hit the wrong switch on the site and accidentally turned on the mux. Or there actually testing .

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭paulwilson

There cork mux is now live did thay get a second trial I wonder ? There very quite if that's the case .just checked again and there off .my guess is someone hit the wrong switch on the site and accidentally turned on the mux. Or there actually testing .
    have been told from a very reliable source in the UK they are coming back as they have been granted another licence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Okay, I may be a bit confused about DAB in general. I'm not an expert. However, according to a previous post, Zenith had been involved a few years ago in a licensed trial DAB Multiplex in Dublin. Obviously, that is different from FreeDAB. As I say, I am not an expert! I saw elsewhere that they have been involved in a licensed DAB trial in Cork.

8Radio.com are currently available on DAB in Cork. Is that the same FreeDAB that is illegal? If so, there are some strange things happening in the radio world at the moment. They have also been on a number of temporary licenses including this year. In fact, they were available on DAB in Cork during their last temporary license run!

CORRECTION: 8Radio.com are on EIRDAB in Cork. I think that is different from FreeDAB from what I can see! So, that it probably not an issue at all.

OK, to put it simply:
    Zenith was both a legal FM/DAB temp a few years back, it is now being carried illegally on the FreeDAB muxes. 8radio was carried on the totally legal EirDAB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

paulwilson wrote: »
    have been told from a very reliable source in the UK they are coming back as they have been granted another licence

Nothing on their website other than it ended in August. Has to be something official somewhere if they are back on?

Hi paul if that was the case it would be officially announced. However nothing is being said .wich is strange . However you never know .best of luck to them if thay do return.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 digitalise

As I here it, EirDAB couldn't get another licence as Comreg said they had started a criminal investigation into those running the FreeDAB mux in Cork (and now Dublin) and they didn't want another mux on the air when prosecutions might be pending. Apparently, Cork was fine but launching in Dublin has got all the IBI stations in the city hoping mad. Let's enjoy it while it lasts - it may be short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

digitalise wrote: »
    EirDAB couldn't get another licence as Comreg said they had started a criminal investigation into those running the FreeDAB mux in Cork
    One is not connected to the other so this doesn't make any sense. How do we then explain the fact that EirDAB is actualy on right now in Cork?
    they didn't want another mux on the air when prosecutions might be pending.
    Comreg will never discuss investigations so unless you work for them this is not fact.
    Apparently, Cork was fine
    So Comreg and the commercial FM services in Cork were all OK, but Dublin is a different story? This also makes no sense.
    launching in Dublin has got all the IBI stations in the city hoping mad.
    Its not even on a week and running at a reported 20 watts. I can't imagine they are hoping mad at that.

How do you get a station on the freedab? Is it free or is it like the dodgy box subscriptions (Pay every six months/Year)
    Listening here in Tallaght it’s mostly dance stations, could probably do with more choice. I’d love to hear a good 60s & 70s station.

How do you get a station on the freedab? Is it free or is it like the dodgy box subscriptions (Pay every six months/Year)
    Listening here in Tallaght it’s mostly dance stations, could probably do with more choice. I’d love to hear a good 60s & 70s station.

As has been pointed out by others, this Freedab is unlicensed, i.e. illegal, so that may put off a considerable amount of would-be or online stations such as "good 60s & 70s station".

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

As has been pointed out by others, this Freedab is unlicensed, i.e. illegal, so that may put off a considerable amount of would-be or online stations such as "good 60s & 70s station".

OK I think we get the fact that it's illegal at this stage Declan. Pirates on FM are "illegal" too. Do you know any decent 60s & 70s stations that would fit?

I know it’s illegal but it’s not the stations that will get hit when it’s raided it’s the
    Freedab Operators & site owners, So the stations on it have nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

According to a contact in ComReg, there is no current trial DAB licence in existance in Cork. So the presence of EirDAB remains a mystery.

• Advertisement

OK I think we get the fact that it's illegal at this stage Declan. Pirates on FM are "illegal" too. Do you know any decent 60s & 70s stations that would fit?

The type of pirates on FM are relatively limited in variety, i.e. dance pirates and some oldies-oriented pirates. I'm suggesting that the same might apply if using an unlicensed DAB platform.
    I know it’s illegal but it’s not the stations that will get hit when it’s raided it’s the
    Freedab Operators & site owners, So the stations on it have nothing to lose.

That is an interesting point. This is where we are into a grey area that does not happen with pirates on FM.

Advertisement