Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Loveradio wrote: »
    Just tuned in for the first time , Still a few glitch’s as i drive round but I’m sure the power will be up’d further in the coming weeks Great selection of music also Great to hear NRG back on the airwaves of Dublin ,

this is a different nrg. it's from cork.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ITV2

there are 2 Energy and NRG radio Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

ITV2 wrote: »
    there are 2 Energy and NRG radio Cork.

The other is Energy from Spain afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

The other is Energy from Spain afaik

Yes, sister station to Coast FM Tenerife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

Guys any idea when they are turning up the power ? Also will it be available in the outskirts of Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

castle2012 wrote: »
    Guys any idea when they are turning up the power ? Also will it be available in the outskirts of Dublin

Power was increased since it went live last Saturday week, as I can get in the car now no problem. But I believe there's more power to come in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

Agreed, I also think you could prosecute on those grounds.

But only on those. If it was not possible to show an email (or other) exchange between the programme provider and the unlicensed mux op, it wouldn't be possible to prosecute successfully.

The mere presence of audio on that mux is not enough to prove complicity; And even so I'd be interested to hear any exchange in court where someone was being prosecuted for not obtaining a licence under the BA to provide programming to an unlicensed broadcaster!

Stargas wrote: »
    You are absolutely correct in that laws are subject to the scrutiny of the courts and sometimes result in changes in laws. I work in this area of law but not for a regulator.

However, I think I could prosecute the case on 'supply' that you laid out above. Let me run this by you.

To demonstrate that a programme originator had entered into an agreement with the unlicensed mux operator would only need to (1) take the form of an email exchange between the two where the outcome was the station being broadcast on the mux. Obviously, (2) if there was an agreement attached to that email at some stage (which I believe is the case) that could also be offered as evidence. Finally, (3) forensic accounting of any bank account (mux operator or programme originator) would quickly identify the source and destination bank accounts of any funds transferred between the two parties. I only need one but three would be a slam dunk.

You also mention the setting up of a separate stream for this mux. If the timing of that was coincident with the launch of the mux then this would be what is called 'supporting evidence' - not good enough on its own but - good enough if I only had one of the three mentioned above.

That's my last post on the legals of this (no moral judgement here) .

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭hibits

This thread like an episode of Law & Order lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Dipole Keith

hibits wrote: »
    This thread like an episode of Law & Order lately.

This thread has more comments in it than the amount of people listening to DAB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

Does anybody think RTEs dab network might be closed as a part of their cost cutting? Any idea how much roughly it costs them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

I think people might be jumping to conclusions about the legality or not of the FreeDab MUX. We are not privy to any conversations which may be happening in the background with the relevant regulatory authorities.

I think what they are doing is great, fair play to them for taking the iniative and starting up the service and I hope they can get any regulatory approvals in place to continue the service because I believe choice is a great thing and can only make the market bigger and better.

Edit: Just to add I've no connection with FreeDab bar being an enthusiastic observer seeing how their service grows / develops.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

JDxtra wrote: »
    It's broadcast using DAB+ so I wonder if you're tuner supports this (most radios should, some older ones may not). Check if you can get audio on 2FM+ on DAB. If this works then there was some other issue.

Unfortunately there are still many DAB radios for sale that do not support
    DAB+ stations.

I'm based outside the DAB reception area yet I see DAB (-&+) radios for sale in local supermarkets. I wonder how many of them are returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mearings wrote: »
    Unfortunately there are still many DAB radios for sale that do not support
    DAB+ stations.

I'm based outside the DAB reception area yet I see DAB (-&+) radios for sale in local supermarkets. I wonder how many of them are returned.

+1 , Have DAB in the car but not DAB+ , many pre 2014 vehicles and pre 2012 aftermarket head units have DAB but not DAB+

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Strangely surprised to learn my 2012 car supports DAB+ even though it only displays the old DAB logo.

does anyone know the coverage area of the free dab mux in Dublin and what stations are available in DAB (not + )

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

http://www.wohnort.org/DAB/ireland.html

Compared to the RTE & UK muxes Free-DAB broadcast at high/very high bitrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

does anyone know the coverage area of the free dab mux in Dublin and what stations are available in DAB (not + )

They are all in the DAB+ format, none in DAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭ITV2

in the car it doesn't show it as DAB+, unlike the RTE stations that are +.

Today, it is showing for me as DAB. It was previously DAB+. I guess they are testing out various configurations.

Current list of stations carried as of today is attached.

mg08cIj.png

Today, it is showing for me as DAB. It was previously DAB+. I guess they are testing out various configurations.

Current list of stations carried as of today is attached.

mg08cIj.png
    I was in Dundalk today and Freedab is been tested. A slightly different list of station s , Trax , NRG fm , Storm north east all available. But also Jump fm Belfast, Wild Country, retronow and Phever .Hope they up the power soon

• Advertisement

I was in Dundalk today and Freedab is been tested. A slightly different list of station s , Trax , NRG fm , Storm north east all available. But also Jump fm Belfast, Wild Country, retronow and Phever .Hope they up the power soon

in dab+ or dab ? , whereabouts was that JDxtra, still no joy on my dab radio and still showing dab+ in north dublin. Would be nice if they dropped it down for compatability, 128k DAB is still a more than acceptable broadcast format.

I'll need to do another scan, that was done in Leixlip but the signal wasn't very strong going into the tuner I was using (an SDR attached to a computer).

I think it didn't show the specs correctly as it reported the stations as 128kbps but my standalone tuner shows them as 96kbps. I'll get a better scan done to confirm.

I'll need to do another scan, that was done in Leixlip but the signal wasn't very strong going into the tuner I was using (an SDR attached to a computer).

I think it didn't show the specs correctly as it reported the stations as 128kbps but my standalone tuner shows them as 96kbps. I'll get a better scan done to confirm.

ohh, ideal location for me to try so.

While the power has increased in Dublin. there is still many glitch s as you drive round .
    While it's great to have Freedab and I really hope it works for them .
    They clam to have reduced the amount of pirates in Dublin on fm to 3 .That is simply not true.
    The list of station's on Freedab are for the majority ,online only and have been for some time .
    What reduced the amount of pirates in Dublin was comreg after a few visits a couple of weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

some of the pirates were on it originally before returning to fm, so at the time they made that statement it was the case that there were fewer stations on air on fm because they had to go off fm to join the service. i don't think freedab are continuing to make that claim now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

Interesting, is it still on? Any word on nonstop90s being on it.

fmfan wrote: »

Interesting, is it still on? Any word on nonstop90s being on it.
    Yes nonstop 90s where also on it .seems to have a much larger selection than the Dublin one

Freedab mention Sligo on their website,is there a DAB service there or is it pending?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

All of Dublin would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

BuzzG wrote: »
    I think people might be jumping to conclusions about the legality or not of the FreeDab MUX. We are not privy to any conversations which may be happening in the background with the relevant regulatory authorities.

I think what they are doing is great, fair play to them for taking the iniative and starting up the service and I hope they can get any regulatory approvals in place to continue the service because I believe choice is a great thing and can only make the market bigger and better.

Edit: Just to add I've no connection with FreeDab bar being an enthusiastic observer seeing how their service grows / develops.

There’s no confusion. The FreeDAB mux is operating without a license. Also, why isn’t the owner/operator of the Mux named in the interview. You could make a guess who it is based on some of the answers.

BTW, I’m not bothered either way. It’s good to see it from a technical perspective.

Advertisement