Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ah I think I'll be happy enough with the one x! I'll come up with ways to hide my potential jealousy over the next few months :P

Challenge accepted! (assuming i don't get a one x too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Dublin579 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is off topic...

Hoping to get a second hand SII this week, budget of 300. When the SIII specs are out do you think the SII price will plummet in second hand market? If so would it be straight away or only when SIII is actually released (presume that will be a few months)

Will probably just go ahead and get the SII unless there'd be a significant saving in the next month.

cheers!

Prices only drop, in ANY market, if there is a lack of demand. There is no lack of demand for SGS2's. Don't expect any price decrease any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Zascar wrote: »
    There are some rhumors that this will not be the S3, but the S2s or similar - just some minor improvements on the S2. That would be a huge disappointment and HTC would wipe them if it was. As tempted as I am to see it, waiting a few weeks for the launch and then possibly many many more for launch, I don't think I can wait that long for a phone that *may* be marginally better than the HTC. Having had 2x HTC's now and I do actually like sense, its not really worth me holding out.

Highly doubt Samsung would waste money with an announcement of an SGS II S, especially at this stage of the game where the One X has been released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I thought the screen size of the S2 to be as big as possibly needed for a phone. I think going bigger with the screen size isnt a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I expect they will launch a range of Galaxy phones which is why they didnt specify what they were bringing out... mayhaps they will be doing:

GS III X
    GS III V

Like HTC? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Thanks draffodx/RangeR - off to Adverts I go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

London May 3rd, gs3 unveiling.

shuyin1 wrote: »
    London May 3rd, gs3 unveiling.

Yer a little late to the party

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

RangeR wrote: »
    Yer a little late to the party

Just a lil, didn't backtrack the last few pages. Good news though, utter silence was starting to get ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

I remember reading this yesterday. Given all the rumours didn't pay much heed but how close to the truth was if (if this turns out to be the galaxy s3)

http://samsung-galaxy-s3.net/rumors/samsung-galaxy-s3-release-on-may-2nd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Airhead21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭kenyard

hmm long wait for this.. really want to see what shes gonna be. rumors are quad core processor... etc...
    dericulousness...unecessary really

God I hope they mixed up the design a bit more then that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That's it for sure, god it's Fugly, shame. Looks like it just has an 8mp snapper with a **** lense, HTC One X or SGS3, decisions decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Well, if that's it then I shall suffer no buyers remorse over my One X anyway.

The Verge is implying that the outer shell will be different at launch and that the camera spec might be bumped up too.

The Verge is implying that the outer shell will be different at launch and that the camera spec might be bumped up too.

Ya I can wait until the 3rd to find out the real deal, not exactly a long wait.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

2050 mAh battery!!Oooohhhh...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Always been with HTC but that could be a deal breaker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Me too, I'd have to see the real life performance first though. If it was considerably better I'd go for it. However, the camera on the HTC One X is fantastic - I hope this can compare. If it was just a standard 8mp with none of the fancy things or better "f" and low light capability - I would be disappointed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

RangeR wrote: »
    Prices only drop, in ANY market, if there is a lack of demand. There is no lack of demand for SGS2's. Don't expect any price decrease any time soon.

I'm pretty sure Meteor have dropped the price of the S2 very recently (on bill pay)..can now be had for 99 Euro on a 40 Euro PM contract.

I've decided on a Galaxy Note..not as big as I imagined..had a look yesterday and although my mate found it big, I have big hands and can get away with one handed texting etc so decision made..anyone thing the price will drop on the first of next month!? Anyone know when it gets ICS from Meteor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

s_carnage wrote: »
    Always been with HTC but that could be a deal breaker.
    You do know you can buy an official 2000mAh battery for the SGS2 right?

Sure, but I'm deliberating between the HTC One X and the S3 - not the S2. I'm ready to go on the One X I think its great but I'm concerned about the battery life, and its not replaceable. I've had 2 phones with crap battery now I'm not sure I can stand another.

Sure, but I'm deliberating between the HTC One X and the S3 - not the S2. I'm ready to go on the One X I think its great but I'm concerned about the battery life, and its not replaceable. I've had 2 phones with crap battery now I'm not sure I can stand another.

Yup, if you are still deliberating, wait it out for the two weeks. It's not that long.

Yeah I think I will. The only question is how long after the release will they be in the shops??

Yeah I think I will. The only question is how long after the release will they be in the shops??

I hear they want to move fast so Id guess they will be in the shops by Mid to late June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Looks to be a small bump this time round, 4s anyone?

Still when quad core gets fully supported in Android I'm sure we will see the benefits.
    Would have liked at least 1.5 cpu 2gb ram and a 2500 battery

• Advertisement

If it's mid-late june I don't think I want to wait that long..

I highly doubt it would be any faster. I wouldve thought that time scale was fast personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

god's toy wrote: »
    Looks to be a small bump this time round, 4s anyone?

Still when quad core gets fully supported in Android I'm sure we will see the benefits.
    Would have liked at least 1.5 cpu 2gb ram and a 2500 battery

It'll have a new design, new SOC and a new screen so I'm not sure how you'd liken it to the 4 - 4s transition.

Yes but in two weeks, at least you will know the specs to make an informed decision.

I doubt they will be shipped to distribution channel until on or after May 3rd.
    I know we haven't heard anything about them yet. Total Secrecy. They put Apple to shame. I'm impressed :)

It'll have a new design, new SOC and a new screen so I'm not sure how you'd liken it to the 4 - 4s transition.
    Tech wise was my point, its not a huge jump IMO. But hey I,ll be getting it anyway

Tech wise was my point, its not a huge jump IMO. But hey I,ll be getting it anyway

We dont know yet, that leak could be a spoof or could be an early dev model or anything.

• Advertisement

fionny wrote: »
    We dont know yet, that leak could be a spoof or could be an early dev model or anything.

lets hope it is wrong then

lets hope it is wrong then

Time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Pretty happy that I went for the HTC one X now if that is the phone. Design wise I think the HTC is nicer.

tok9 wrote: »
    Pretty happy that I went for the HTC one X now if that is the phone. Design wise I think the HTC is nicer.

Call me an optimist on this one but I really dont think that that leak is going to be how it looks because it really is fugly and would be a step backwards from the GS2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

fionny wrote: »
    Call me an optimist on this one but I really dont think that that leak is going to be how it looks because it really is fugly and would be a step backwards from the GS2

It certainly looks to be a prototype alright, according to slashgear! :)

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It certainly looks to be a prototype alright, according to slashgear! :)

Yup and this part from the article makes me feel much better:
    It’s worth noting that the leaked prototype is also labeled as dating back to December 16 2011, which means the hardware is already more than four months old. Considering Samsung is believed to be working on the new flagship to the very last minute, finalizing the branding in the last remaining hours certainly wouldn’t be beyond it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Exactly, speculation gets us nowhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

There is a translation somewhere were they reckon it's a dummy casing so the phone more than likely won't look like that.

The specs might be correct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Glad I waited now as at least spec's will be known in two weeks.

Also hoping with a 4.6" screen with soft keys that the overall size of the phone might / should be smaller than the One X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Any improvements made to the camera over the S2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any improvements made to the camera over the S2?

Impossible to tell at this stage, the camera module in the leaked prototype may be different to what's in the final product. It does look smaller than the one x and I prefer the on-screen buttons. The fake case is a new one for Samsung, I wonder if it's going to be a completely radical departure - Eldar was fairly confident of the case being ceramic and I'm being to wonder if the colours on the invitation are related to colour options. A reach I'd say, but I'd like to see a blue ceramic shell on a phone as I love what Nokia did with colours recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The lack of a "plus" after the "super amoled" in the description would be a worry..

Other than that, I'm not so sure, nothing whatsoever about the processor, which i thought would be a bug selling point on fht phone..

12MP Camera - oh great - cause we all know how more megapixels = better camera.:rolleyes:

If they don't have something very special to compete with the quality of the camera on the iPhone 4s, and the wizardry of the HTX One camera - this will be pretty dissappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

All they really need to do is turn out something that looks about equal to the OneX on paper, or a bit better, and then let marketing do the rest.

A giant 12MP on the housing might help too: quality camera or otherwise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement