Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 & Note 20 Ultra....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Davy wrote: »
    Its based on Kevlar so is very strong for the weight and thinness. It wouldn't be very grippy though. Its designed as a case that feels as you have no case on the phone.

Something grippy with raised edges for face protection look at the Samsung clear protective case EF-GN985CBEGEU in black or white. Both sides are ribbed so very grippy.

Looks much better than the Protective Standing Cover EF-RN985CBEGWW in my opinion.

note-20-ultra-clear-protective-cover-black.jpgnote-20-ultra-clear-protective-cover-white.jpg

I think I'll go for that ribber one- cheers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got the 1st of October update pushed out this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Should see it on Vodafone in a couple of weeks so! Which to me is actually no big deal, Samsung have gotten great at pushing these monthly updates. I do laugh when I read comments online complaining and it might only be half way through a month or whatever. Try having a HTC for a few years you'd be lucky to see one major update.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

A week between updates being pushed out is impressive and also scary that they have that many updates :D saying that, this 1 was "only" 150mb so can't imagine there's much in it

Anyone here got any tempered glass screen protectors recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Z Fold 2 for 500 less than retail

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B08DRFYPFC

Hi,
    So I forget which finger I used when setting up Samsung Pass. I've 1 go left (from 10) so don't want to try again as don't know what happens after 10 unsuccessful attempts.

Anyone know what happens & can I reset/register a fingerprint again?

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,
    So I forget which finger I used when setting up Samsung Pass. I've 1 go left (from 10) so don't want to try again as don't know what happens after 10 unsuccessful attempts.

You have to have a backup as well, so either a pin or a password, if you can't get in at all you'll have to reset the phone :mad:

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Just to clarify because its not clear, your not actually locked out of the phone? Go to settings - biometrics - fingerprints and check added fingerprints to see what finger it tells you. Sounds like something else is wrong though to be honest.

Clareman wrote: »
    You have to have a backup as well, so either a pin or a password, if you can't get in at all you'll have to reset the phone :mad:

Cheers. I tried again, failed & my phone didn't explode or anything. Just asked me for other login method.

I then went and added my right hand thumb as a fingerprint.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Azion

Evening everyone,

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread to post in; I'm interested in picking up a Note 20 Ultra 5G (Black) and I'm leaning towards buying from Adverts.ie or Ebay due to pricing. Does anyone have advice/experience with buying from Adverts.ie for phones?

There are a few options on Adverts around the €930 to €950 range from sellers such as "Gadget shop", "FONE-HUB" etc but I've never dealt with them before. My preference is a sealed box. I'm based in the South West, so delivery by courier would be my only option at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Friend of mine bought from adverts and didn't have any issue, my advise for buying off someone online is to check their profile and judge the risk for yourself, buying from a shop where you collect the phone with a history of 100s of sales should be ok, buying off a new profile that has never sold anything before, well that's just dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Asherthehasher

I bought a iPhone 8 2 weeks ago on Adverts . Absolute mint condition no issues.
    Just check battery life if second hand and you can see by feedback if they are a trustworthy seller.

Azion wrote: »
    Evening everyone,

Apologies if this is the incorrect thread to post in; I'm interested in picking up a Note 20 Ultra 5G (Black) and I'm leaning towards buying from Adverts.ie or Ebay due to pricing. Does anyone have advice/experience with buying from Adverts.ie for phones?

There are a few options on Adverts around the €930 to €950 range from sellers such as "Gadget shop", "FONE-HUB" etc but I've never dealt with them before. My preference is a sealed box. I'm based in the South West, so delivery by courier would be my only option at the moment.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

All shops on Adverts and the sellers you mentioned above sell UK blacklisted phones here in Ireland. They will work fine here but if you ever need to travel to UK it wont work there. Also it will be harder to sell it on when you plan to upgrade if the buyer finds out its blacklisted it will come back to you.

Also trade in shops like Cex or any other trade in sites/stores do not take blacklisted phones.

I would personally never buy from any of those seller who have dozens including those shops. The shops sell them off the record and dont pay VAT on them here.

Yes they do have lots of feedback but thats because 99.9% of the people never check blacklist status as long as their sim works fine.

There are 1-2 genuine sellers that I would buy from who get 1-2 phones and have receipts from actual manufacturer or a reputable retailer.

Thanks for the advice and information, that's very helpful! The blacklisting certainly explains why they're so much cheaper! Time to mull it over for the weekend. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

No problems with those phones from adverts. Especially from G-Shock or Armani Versace. Both have 2500+ positive feedback, if the phones they sell were blacklisted in the UK someone would have reported it

Pacifico wrote: »
    No problems with those phones from adverts. Especially from G-Shock or Armani Versace. Both have 2500+ positive feedback, if the phones they sell were blacklisted in the UK someone would have reported it

Have bought from both my self , both Samsung and both were blacklisted 3-4 weeks after I bought then. I asked them to PM me IMEI to check and they were clean. Month or so later when selling I decided to check again and they were now showinh as blacklisted. So you are wrong here.

Both refused that they sold me those phones but thankfully as I had got them to PM me IMEI beforehand I had proof so got a refund.

Gshock is a guy at the apartments at Tallaght luas and Armani Versace is the african priest.

So yes they are dodgy also. My point remains , yes they do have good feedback but thats because 99.9% of people never check IMEI as long as their sim works in the phone.

Also know people who have bought from them and when they checked when I told them about those sellers phones turned out to be blacklisted also and they had been using them for several months without even knowing.

iPhone are fine because if they are blacklisted its goes through Apple who disable the phone but do not go near those sellers for anything Android if you travel to UK etc.

Would you mind sharing where you checked the IMEI please Dan?
    I came across IMEI24, but I'm not sure if this is reputable or accurate.

On a side note, "Gadget spot" wouldn't deliver via courier or accept PayPal despite their listing saying so. I think I'll just avoid Adverts based on this. Too much hassle!

Azion wrote: »
    Would you mind sharing where you checked the IMEI please Dan?
    I came across IMEI24, but I'm not sure if this is reputable or accurate.

On a side note, "Gadget spot" wouldn't deliver via courier or accept PayPal despite their listing saying so. I think I'll just avoid Adverts based on this. Too much hassle!

Free service I use is:
    https://www.imeipro.info/

Paid service - this check everything including insurance, even if it was ever reported lost and then found etc

https://www.checkmend.com/uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Dan, I'm sorry that happened to you, I've had the complete opposite experience.

I'm on Adverts 11 years now buying and selling phones, have dealt with gshock/gadgetspot for the last 6 years and Armani Versace the last 2 years, for myself, friends, family and colleagues and not one ounce of trouble. I'd hazard a guess at easily 30-40+ phones off these guys, met me at work and I've met them at their home.

Of course in the beginning I was skeptical, but it's pure grey market imports from India and Dubai (you will notice in some packaging and also the types of chargers that come with the devices/if the box was open & another charger put in) and no receipts so can't get insured on them but this is the price you pay to get the cheaper phones.

I will continue to buy and recommend from these guys 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

dan786 wrote: »
    Have bought from both my self , both Samsung and both were blacklisted 3-4 weeks after I bought then. I asked them to PM me IMEI to check and they were clean. Month or so later when selling I decided to check again and they were now showinh as blacklisted. So you are wrong here.

Both refused that they sold me those phones but thankfully as I had got them to PM me IMEI beforehand I had proof so got a refund.

Gshock is a guy at the apartments at Tallaght luas and Armani Versace is the african priest.

So yes they are dodgy also. My point remains , yes they do have good feedback but thats because 99.9% of people never check IMEI as long as their sim works in the phone.

Also know people who have bought from them and when they checked when I told them about those sellers phones turned out to be blacklisted also and they had been using them for several months without even knowing.

iPhone are fine because if they are blacklisted its goes through Apple who disable the phone but do not go near those sellers for anything Android if you travel to UK etc.

I'm waiting on a (renewed) Note 10 Plus that I've bought from an Amazon seller with a 1 year warranty because of this concern as I actually DO (well did!) travel to the UK a fair bit for work. Plus on the rare times I've had an issue with something, Amazon are very helpful.

It's only cost me 500 sterling/550-ish EUR too which is still a lot cheaper than Adverts and for the peace of mind it's totally worth it IMO.

I still have my 10 Plus 5G, must get myself sorted and throw it up on adverts, last time I tried to sell a phone on there cause I don't have that big a profile I got a lot of wasters so it wasn't worth the hassle.

More often than not I have settled for cash in CEX rather than continue with the torture of dealing with people.

Normally I "pay it forward" with my phone, Mrs. Clareman gets my old phone, her old phone gets to be a spare in case we break a screen or it goes to 1 of the parents, this time around Mrs. Clareman won't give up the 9 for the 10 cause of the LED notification and she loves the LED case on the 9 that you can't get on the 10, I even got the LED case with the 20 to check it for next year and she didn't like it. So now I've the 10 up on a shelf, I'll probably leave it there cause knowing my luck I'll break my own phone the week after selling the 10.

Back onto the 20, has anyone else noticed that the Samsung protective cover isn't anything nearly as good as the past models? I don't think I've changed my phone usage much but the screen protector is in bits now, I got to around April with the 10 protector.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

dan786 wrote: »
    All shops on Adverts and the sellers you mentioned above sell UK blacklisted phones here in Ireland. They will work fine here but if you ever need to travel to UK it wont work there. Also it will be harder to sell it on when you plan to upgrade if the buyer finds out its blacklisted it will come back to you.

Also trade in shops like Cex or any other trade in sites/stores do not take blacklisted phones.

I would personally never buy from any of those seller who have dozens including those shops. The shops sell them off the record and dont pay VAT on them here.

Yes they do have lots of feedback but thats because 99.9% of the people never check blacklist status as long as their sim works fine.

There are 1-2 genuine sellers that I would buy from who get 1-2 phones and have receipts from actual manufacturer or a reputable retailer.

Just casually browsing when i saw this and thought id log in and give my two cents.

To the best of my knowledge a brand new device in a sealed package cannot be black listed unless it was opened, used and then resealed. I also thought that if a phone is blacklisted then its black listed worldwide not just for use in that country.

I have personally bought stuff myself from advert sellers. Very skeptical myself but i bought a macbook pro (brand new) and an iphone 11 pro max (brand new) from 2 sellers mentioned in this thread and never had any issues.

Checked the serial number of the macbook and the imei on the box of the iphone before opening just to check they were indeed linked to be official apple products and had no issues. Still have them almost a year later and still no issues.

Certainly be careful when buying from adverts or donedeal. But some sellers are genuine from my experience and two in particular mentioned here certainly never sold me blacklisted uk devices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

baalad wrote: »
    Just casually browsing when i saw this and thought id log in and give my two cents.

To the best of my knowledge a brand new device in a sealed package cannot be black listed unless it was opened, used and then resealed. I also thought that if a phone is blacklisted then its black listed worldwide not just for use in that country.

I have personally bought stuff myself from advert sellers. Very skeptical myself but i bought a macbook pro (brand new) and an iphone 11 pro max (brand new) from 2 sellers mentioned in this thread and never had any issues.

Checked the serial number of the macbook and the imei on the box of the iphone before opening just to check they were indeed linked to be official apple products and had no issues. Still have them almost a year later and still no issues.

Certainly be careful when buying from adverts or donedeal. But some sellers are genuine from my experience and two in particular mentioned here certainly never sold me blacklisted uk devices

Have bought quiet a lot of stuff from one of these sellers also, including a few phones. Have checked the 3 phones I currently still have in the family and none of them are blacklisted. Everything else I’ve gotten of him was 100%, I do often wonder how they can sell this stuff so cheap but in hindsight maybe I’m better off not knowing :)

baalad wrote: »

Sealed phones can be blacklisted. I buy a phone, keep it sealed, buy insurance online - week later say I lost it. They get the old IMEI marked as lost and give me a new phone. So I have 2 sealed phones for price of one. 1 blacklisted and 1 clean.

Or I get a phone on contract, keep it sealed, dont pay bills for two months again the old IMEI gets blacklisted. You have a sealed blacklisted phone.

Also Blacklist is on carriers/country so no a phone is not blacklisted worldwide.

Erica Griffin's new video is a excellent watch imo, i learned a bunch of useful information:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Got the Note 20 Ultra last week. Mixed views so far (coming from a Redmi Note 8 Pro).

I don't find the fingerprint scanner as good as the Redmi (which has a raised area at the back for guaranteed response versus the clumsy enough pushing your finger into the screen at the front of the Note 20 Ultra).

It's continually lighting up in my pocket giving me "accidental press protection" or something, which I will have to disable as it's getting very annoying.

Battery life not very good, never get through the day with normal usage without needing charge. Redmi covered me well into 1.5 days.

Photos very good from initial few taken.

Dunno, not convinced for the money that I would not reverse my decision and just upgrade to Redmi Note 9 Pro...

• Advertisement

Got the Note 20 Ultra last week. Mixed views so far (coming from a Redmi Note 8 Pro).

I don't find the fingerprint scanner as good as the Redmi (which has a raised area at the back for guaranteed response versus the clumsy enough pushing your finger into the screen at the front of the Note 20 Ultra).

It's continually lighting up in my pocket giving me "accidental press protection" or something, which I will have to disable as it's getting very annoying.

Battery life not very good, never get through the day with normal usage without needing charge. Redmi covered me well into 1.5 days.

Photos very good from initial few taken.

Dunno, not convinced for the money that I would not reverse my decision and just upgrade to Redmi Note 9 Pro...

I agree with the fingerprint unlocking- I had a Redmi Note 5 and unlocked everytime. Maybe because it was a small dedicated area so more accurate.

Advertisement