Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Together Now 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Gus Ivey wrote: »
    If he is replacing Patti Smith it's a major upgrade anyway

Nope*

*all a matter of personal taste though

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Hard to imagine who might headline from an Electronic perspective. We can rule out Orbital and Underworld, cant see the Chemical Brothers. Possibly Leftfield if they tour live next year, maybe Groove Armada as they are allegedly recording a new album and taking it on the road. Any other suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Hard to imagine who might headline from an Electronic perspective. We can rule out Orbital and Underworld, cant see the Chemical Brothers. Possibly Leftfield if they tour live next year, maybe Groove Armada as they are allegedly recording a new album and taking it on the road. Any other suggestions?

Are there any equivalents to Jon Hopkins, etc who might fit the bill?

No issues with any of the above but they've been headlining festivals for 20 years at this stage.

Could it be time for some newer, younger people like Hopkins (obviously not him as he was there this year) or people like the Blaze, Peggy Gou, Nicolas Jaar, Kelly Lee Owens, Daniel Avery?

Or would they not have the impact? I'm not too up to speed with who is headline status when it comes to electronic music!

Massive Attack would probably be another one to throw in the hat for that slot. They, Chem. Bros, Underworld etc all seemed to rotate the electronic headline slot at festivals. Prodigy too, but obviously they are out unfortunately.

Basement Jaxx if they ever bothered doing live stuff again would be the preference, or Leftfield, but they're coining it with the DJ sets. Nearly as much money coming in with a fraction of the expense. If it didn't have to be Dancey stuff, then Portishead. Let them headline the whole damn thing.

Groove Armada. Nope. They're a few levels below any above.

Could they be sticking King Kong Company on stage as a headliner

Beck would be a brilliant headliner too, but rumoured to be doing a dublin gig

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭rubick

Not a headliner (not yet anyway), but I'd love to see Giant Swan across the weekend - debut LP out last Friday. Some belters on it!

As for the electronica headliner, hard to call it. If Luke Slater is available and willing, I'd love to see Planetary Assault Systems put on a show of quality doof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Must say the selling tickets before any announcement of line up and then the slow release of line up drags things out.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭jimosterberg

Couldn't be a better announcement than Iggy Pop for me but I'm a huge fan. Some of the best gigs I've been at have been Iggy gigs. Delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

too fecking early for all this excitement.

Its jarring being excited about a festival and then walking out to hail and cold.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

D.Q wrote: »
    too fecking early for all this excitement.

Its jarring being excited about a festival and then walking out to hail and cold.

But it is precisely because we have to walk out into the hail and cold that we are getting excited for summer festivals!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

No issues with any of the above but they've been headlining festivals for 20 years at this stage.

Could it be time for some newer, younger people like Hopkins (obviously not him as he was there this year) or people like the Blaze, Peggy Gou, Nicolas Jaar, Kelly Lee Owens, Daniel Avery?

Or would they not have the impact? I'm not too up to speed with who is headline status when it comes to electronic music!

If Justice were on the circuit theyd fit the bill nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Peesh89

Hmm... Peggy Gou could be a good shout, she had the big tent at Forbidden Fruit absolutely jammers this year, could barely get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭rubick

I'm expecting Floating Points to turn up at either EP or ATN in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Four Tet would be the closest to Jon Hopkins IMO. Moderat maybe, although think they're back doing their solo projects at the moment. Bicep are back touring again too.

wouldn't really say any of the rest of them are quite headline level. Peggy Gou least of all as she only does DJ sets AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

BadTurtle wrote: »
    supposedly have a new album coming out next year, although no sign of them on any festival bills yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

BadTurtle wrote: »

Delroy Wilson wrote a song about that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I think Bicep would be great electronic headliners of a festival in this country, they are an unbelievable live act and have a fantastic light show plus they have a big following, but just not sure if their following are necessarily ATN goers. I think most of the others you suggested would get big crowds in a tent but wouldn't be big enough for the main stage (although The Blaze did headline Body & Soul this year).

Groove Armada could be a good shout as could Justice if either are touring live next summer. I hope we definitely get a dance headliner in the initial announcement, it is one of the most important things of a festival for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Bicep are class. There'd be loads of fans that go to ATN

But it is precisely because we have to walk out into the hail and cold that we are getting excited for summer festivals!

That driving rain at times last year was more like winter that summer though. :P

Apparat might be a good shout, touring new album and Aiken and POD have had Moderat recently enough at FFF and a Vicar Street

Black Keys have an album out recently. No european dates on their tour, so might head for this side of the world next year. They'd be good on the main stage, maybe before or after Iggy

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Black Keys have an album out recently. No european dates on their tour, so might head for this side of the world next year. They'd be good on the main stage, maybe before or after Iggy

Yeah could see a band like them playing alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

Black keys would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭danois

Weepsie wrote: »
    Massive Attack would probably be another one to throw in the hat for that slot. They, Chem. Bros, Underworld etc all seemed to rotate the electronic headline slot at festivals. Prodigy too, but obviously they are out unfortunately.

Basement Jaxx if they ever bothered doing live stuff again would be the preference, or Leftfield, but they're coining it with the DJ sets. Nearly as much money coming in with a fraction of the expense. If it didn't have to be Dancey stuff, then Portishead. Let them headline the whole damn thing.

Groove Armada. Nope. They're a few levels below any above.

Could they be sticking King Kong Company on stage as a headliner

Beck would be a brilliant headliner too, but rumoured to be doing a dublin gig

Was at a KKC gig recently and they did mention that they would be main stage acts at every festival they have booked next year. So it’s a definite possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I had the pleasure of seeing Iggy Pop & the Stooges at Electric Picnic 2007, a fecking amazing gig, looking forward to seeing him again next year. The full concert from Glastonbury 2007 is up on Youtube. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I would love to see Dave booked in the Loyle Carner slot.

Hearing the Chems are playing an Irish date end of June, announced this week. That rules them out of ATN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Hearing the Chems are playing an Irish date end of June, announced this week. That rules them out of ATN

Announced for Cork this morning. Playing Independent Park on June 30.

On the ball Blackie - any other tips for us?

Announced for Cork this morning. Playing Independent Park on June 30.

On the ball Blackie - any other tips for us?

Nothing ATN related unfortunately

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Nothing ATN related unfortunately

Any horses then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

said it last year but I'd really love to not have any of these acts play - so bored with them now at this stage without intending any disrespect to them.

Hard enough to think who'd fill their places that said.

Advertisement