Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

The Glowsticks at Aldi on Thursday https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-3rd-october/products-detail-page/ps/p/glowsticks/ might be a good deal provided they are the ones that are a decent size, normally the 6 inch ones are about a euro each. If they have no other use they are good to keep the kids amused in a power cut and safer than letting them have candles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

aaakev wrote: »
    Aldi are selling a tough mobile phone today, its waterproof to 1m and shock proof up to 2m drop. Sim free and €60. Might be worth a look!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/produktwelten/obst-gemuese/detailansicht-pflanzen/ps/p/rugged-mobile-phone/?pk_campaign=ie_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2013-09-26_10-44

I picked up a Sonim Landrover S1 phone for £31 on ebay today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

The Glowsticks at Aldi on Thursday https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-3rd-october/products-detail-page/ps/p/glowsticks/ might be a good deal provided they are the ones that are a decent size, normally the 6 inch ones are about a euro each. If they have no other use they are good to keep the kids amused in a power cut and safer than letting them have candles.
    I always stock up on those at Halloween, handy to have them as a backup especially in a car kit. Does anyone know are road flares legal in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Picked up a small first aid kit in Tesco for €8.50.

It is perfect for a day bag and quite comprehensive, with a selection of bandages, wipes, plasters, gloves and scissors. Only missing tweezers, eyewash and antiseptic.
    It's in a blue zip up pouch that zips open. Found it reduced with the car kit!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭drvr

I bought one of those tough phones on ebay couple of months back (identical but different make). mine takes 2 sims. no problem with reception ( vodafone & o2 y). used it in Germany also. Good battery life. nothing fancy. I'm happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Lidl Thursday 10th october. Adults 24.99 euro.Kids 14.99 euro.

Thermal insulation up to -10 degrees. * (for up to 2 hours of movement).
    Seems to be 3M Thinsulate insulation.
    No weight of insulation given.
    4 different styles.
    Extremely light weight,cosy and warm.
    Water and stain repellent.

What exactly does for up to 2 hours of movement mean?
    Just keeps you warm for up to 2 hours if moving @ -10 degrees ?

Possibly handy to stick in a bob and forget about it.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-D58AFB50-5A600034/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=35551

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

wolfeye wrote: »
    Lidl Thursday 10th october. Adults 24.99 euro.Kids 14.99 euro.

Thermal insulation up to -10 degrees. * (for up to 2 hours of movement).
    Seems to be 3M Thinsulate insulation.
    No weight of insulation given.
    4 different styles.
    Extremely light weight,cosy and warm.
    Water and stain repellent.

http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-D58AFB50-5A600034/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/offerdate.htm?offerdate=35551
    Two of them could be used to make an improvised sleeping bag (a bit of stitching or velcro, and put your feet and lower legs into the sleeves then into your rucksack). Needles and thread (including some big, leather-working needles and some strong linen thread) are a vital component in any serious BO kit.

Have to say, though, that the old alpinist's pied d'elephant (aka these days a small child's sleeping bag) is better. A good alternative is a woman's duvet coat (not being sexist, they are usually worn by women). Check out charity shops in summer!

Anyway, for S&SS purposes, synthetic filling may be better than down - unless you have a fool-proof way of keeping your down gear dry. Good quality down-filled clothing is unbeatable for compression and low weight, though.

Not your ornery onager

Got the Forester in the post today.
    Bigger,chunkier and heavier than the victorinox swiss army knife.
    Upper 2/3 of knife blade serrated,blade can be locked which is a plus.
    Saw works very well,cuts quickly.
    Well made,and should last a life time as a back up knife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

what happened to lidl super saturday savings
    they dont seem to be running or anymore

sorry meant put this in bargain alerts

In case you've not noticed, kelly kettles are now available direct from www.kellykettle.com with euro pricing - postage works out around a fiver for a kelly kettle. As a guide the smallest kelly kettle is around 49euro delivered and the largest is around 54euro delivered, obviously more if you want the extras like the cooker sets.

I mention this as for years the site has only had prices in UK pounds which always struck me as odd for a company based in Co. Mayo?

Just in case you don't know what a kelly kettle looks like (large kk pic from kk site) ......

large_kelly_kett_4bb0f3c05bbcc.jpg.

My wife's just come back home with a spare of "boots" from Lidl for me €17.99 http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_35812.htm . Not the greatest pair of outdoors/walking boots you'd ever buy but for the money you can afford to break them in around the house and then pack them away so you have a spare pair come SHTF.

Anyone know what the full kit kelly kettle is like for cooking?.

wolfeye wrote: »
    Anyone know what the full kit kelly kettle is like for cooking?.

I think Doc Ruby posted a bit about it a while back? Basically provided you are also using the kettle for heating water its fine but you can't run the stove without the kettle having water in it so not always as useful as it could be. You can still take the kettle off and use the base with a pan on it but then you loose the chimney affect of the kettle.

A kelly kettle is great for boiling water without the need to carry fuel around with you FULL STOP. Anything else is a bonus and you have to modify your methods to suit the stove.

Found the previous discussion here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056558337

I'll stick with just the kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Granite Head

In case you've not noticed, kelly kettles are now available direct from www.kellykettle.com with euro pricing -

I mention this as for years the site has only had prices in UK pounds which always struck me as odd for a company based in Co. Mayo?

Looks like they are only converting their Stg prices - not "True" euro pricing (ie. € price points)

Good base camping stove - but only for quick water boiling.

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, The Hives, Somebody's Child, Sprints, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Richard Hawley, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, All Together Now, Electric Picnic, Bonny Prince Billy, Phospherescant, Ride, Dirt Birds, Tommy Tiernan, The Last Dinner Party, John Grant, Iron & Wine, Therapy, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Amble

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tabnabs wrote: »

Good deal but thats really funny as last time I was in the UK Lidl were advertising the same thing (different name on it) for iirc £19.99. Really annoyed I was back in Ireland before the offer date and Lidl IRL had exactly the same stuff except that one item.

Belt sander could well be worth the money but I from the specs the grinder is only for light work any pressure and it will just stop turning.

• Advertisement

Just a small bargain that I accidentally bought as part of my €5 (plus) preps this week in Lidl, OXO cubes 2 packs for €1.50 normally €1.25 each (saving €1). Only noticed the reduction because I checked my bill after the guy on the till made a mess of the bill of the person before me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

From the general bargain alert forum
    MAORISH wrote: »
    Simply cut out and bring your money-off voucher in The Irish Daily Star (Thursday 21st November 2013) to your nearest Aldi store. When your shop comes to €50 or more, €10 will be taken off your bill. All vouchers are valid from Thursday 21st November until stores close on Saturday 30th November so you’ve got over a week to save on your next big shop!

http://www.thestar.ie/star/aldi-we-wish-you-a-merry-christmas-36427/

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87606016&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Got this little mini stove from China 3 days ago, didn’t expect it to be such good quality for the price I have a couple of penny stoves of different designs that I made myself and have to say they work very well but I needed one that I could snub out yet save the fuel for a burn later,

Soon as this one arrived I fired it up to find it burns longer than the home made ones with the same amount of fuel (this could be because the jet holes I made are slightly larger)

I hear the slower burn is better for boiling water because of the slow rate that water takes heat, anyways Happy with the burn test I decided to fill it and tighten down the seal/cap then wrap it loosely with kitchen paper then put it in a sealed bag (Just in case) for a leak test,

I shuck the daylights out of it but not a drop showed, I then left it upside down for a day or so before checking again… to my delight it still showed no signs of leakage,

The pot stand also keeps the stove base off the ground and is very well made, have seen some a dollar or more cheaper since I got this one but I would order again from this place as it has proven to me that it doesn’t have to be expensive to be good,

Cost me $13.49 US but I see they already stuck another dollar on since, took 35 days to get to me but that was expected,

I really do feel it’s a bargain

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/New-Folding-Mini-Spirit-Set-Stove-For-Camping-CS-B03-/270841133171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0f63b873

Aldi have boxes of 80 latex gloves coming up this Sunday. Good for FAK, hygiene etc.

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/sunday-29th-december/products-detail-page/ps/p/disposable-latex-gloves/

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I picked up up a few camping gas cylinders (small blue) in Tesco for 75cent reduced from €6.00

I picked up up a few camping gas cylinders (small blue) in Tesco for 75cent reduced from €6.00

Reduced stuff in Tesco is always worth looking for, if they stop stocking an item they reduce it a lot. I keep an eye on the Tesco shop at Poleberry Waterford where they have a small Reduced Shop which often has some deals on camping type gear.

Checked out the reduced Tesco shop at Poleberry Waterford this week and they had some 4 man tents if anyone is interested €35. Nothing great not even sure if they have fly sheets (open one up in the shop if you are interested) but thats the sort of money I'd spend on something that might only be used in an emergency or used once at a concert.

Tesco have plastic SPORKS reduced down to 37 cents,
    picked up a few

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Superquinn and SuperValu both have 454g bottles of golden syrup and maple flavoured golden syrup at 1.39 at the moment. BB December 2015, but tbh I'd eat syrup 10 years out of date without batting an eyelid.

• Advertisement

from bargain alerts breakfast in a can in aldi
    saw this also in asda for £1 i think

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/t...akfastbig-bbq/

Advertisement