Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tescos (Bloomfields at least) have a uni-com mini bright 9 LED torch reduced from €5 to €1. It scanned at €3.74 on the till but when I questioned this, they dropped it to €1 without any quibble. Comes with three AAA batteries. Torch is black and stubby (about the length of your middle finger).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Aldi are doing gennys on 4th july. A big 'no-no' or a 'can't do any harm' ?

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-4th-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/800w-generator/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Danpad wrote: »

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-specialbuys-4th-july/products-detail-page/ps/p/800w-generator/
    Personally I wouldn't as its only really 650w. Id be looking for at least 2000w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

It would charge battery stuff just fine. Phones, laptop GPS, torches.. Not much cop for anything with a motor or heating element

Expensive for the use it would get

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

I ran my Central heating off one similiar to this when I was stuck.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I was wondering (and now I'm wondering out loud) - those smaller genny's have to be quite efficient. If you could couple one with a battery for times when you need more juice (boiling the kettle) then the genny would recharge the battery after the high drain time had passed - I wonder would that be beneficial compared to having a larger genny.

Khannie wrote: »
    I was wondering (and now I'm wondering out loud) - those smaller genny's have to be quite efficient. If you could couple one with a battery for times when you need more juice (boiling the kettle) then the genny would recharge the battery after the high drain time had passed - I wonder would that be beneficial compared to having a larger genny.
    Your normal household kettle is 1000w I'd never use one with any size genny get a camping kettle use it on a camping stove or fire in the garden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

800W gives enough juice to keep your freezer going or to run emergency lighting or a water pump or some power tools or small tv (dvd combi), charge a laptop, run a pc etc.
    They are normally used as back ups for caravans or mobile homes.
    It's not great, but you get what you pay for.

I'd rather have & not need, than need & not have. :)

800W gives enough juice to keep your freezer going or to run emergency lighting or a water pump or some power tools or small tv (dvd combi), charge a laptop, run a pc etc.
    They are normally used as back ups for caravans or mobile homes.
    It's not great, but you get what you pay for.

I'd rather have & not need, than need & not have. :)

Your fridge / freezer will run on 800w but the start up on these are over 1400w so won't work in such a small genny unless like a mobile home caravan item they have a low voltage soft start system. I tested my fridge freezer which is A++ rated and it was 1650w start up and 675w running

Millicano instant coffee half price in SuperValu at the moment. Comes in a sealed metal tin. It's expensive stuff, even at half price, but will keep a long time and I've seen coffee mentioned a good few times as a high value item in a pinch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Your normal household kettle is 1000w
    My kettle is 3100W, and the previous one was 2500W.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    My kettle is 3100W, and the previous one was 2500W.

Thought my one was a power monster its low compared to yours

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭waterfordham

Had one of these over-rev on me on Saturday (hit over 400 volts):(

One large Power Supply blew its transformer fairly spectacularly, and one laptop PSU melted.

Governor is under the fuel tank so I'll figure out the cause at a later stage.

Actually, its not this actual version, an earlier version that doesn't have the 12Volts out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Thought my one was a power monster its low compared to yours

3k is about normal now except for cheap ones. people dont have patience to wait for the kettle to boil anymore. it's also near the limit of a 15a fuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Danpad wrote: »

Late reply.

My own died, my brother in laws died.

Advice (worth what you paid for it) don't buy one, get a reliable brand name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Late reply.

My own died, my brother in laws died.

Advice (worth what you paid for it) don't buy one, get a reliable brand name.

Honda or Briggs would be the way to go (and even then..) almost everything else is a Chinese copy, some are compatible with Honda parts but others aren't

Aldi/Lidl petrol equipment has been tempting over the years but it's not worth the bother. I know someone who had a Lidl chainsaw that died on the first day.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Tesco have a philipps pocket radio AE1530 reduced from 19.99 euro to 14 euro.
    same as below in amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-AE1530-00-Portable-Radio/dp/B001B7LKFA/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1374007819&sr=1-1&keywords=philips+ae1530

Also Tesco have laoch fitness sports towels reduced from 4 euro to 2.68 euro.
    Were reduced to 3 euro until until last week.
    75 cm x 35cm.100% cotton.blue colour.pretty compact and in plastic wrapper.
    So handy for a B.O.B.

The above maybe bargains for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Philips Emergency phone charger SCE2110.
    Reduced from 10.99 euro to 2.99 euro in Tesco.

Works with nokia,samsung,motorola,sony ericsson.

Same as one below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-SCE2110-10-Power4Life-Emergency/dp/B001100D46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375130079&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+emergency+phone+charger

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tried one of these recently when camping. It gave about 20% into a Samsung S2 that was flat.

From the link in this post, I found these self-inflating mattresses. Some good prices there. Just be aware that weight seems to increase rapidly with increasing thickness! No personal experience of any of these products, so google for reviews.

I do have a couple of Thermarests, but tbh these are in a league of their own, price-wise anyway...

For any self-inflating mattress, it is always a good idea to have a punture repair kit.

If insulation alone is required, a closed-cell foam mat is a cheaper option. Definitely way less comfortable though....

Edit:

Shipping to here costs £15 (single box, < 30Kg).
    To www.parcelmotel.com in Antrim: Orders < £100 in Value: £9, Orders > £100 in Value: £5. Then add ParcelMotel charge of €3.50 to have your order forwarded from Co. Antrim to your local motel). [ ParcelMotel basic €3.50 fee increases if weight or size exceeds certain limits - see their site ].

Also noticed Basha pole £7. Extended version of this pole £8 is showing as out of stock, but might be worth checking availability.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

In Gough's tool shop in Little Mary Street in Dublin today. I was in search of a draw knife for wood carving and stick making. Got a nice Mora drawknife for a very reasonable price of €35.

I also picked up a Mora Allround for only €10, a absolute bargain considering they are about £12 in the UK!

He has a good range of Mora Knives and woodcarving tools and is an absolute gentleman to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭feet of flame

Tesco Ardkeen in Waterford have 7.5kg bags of deicing salt reduced from €6 down to 99c, 3kg tubs of same for 99c and 1kg handheld shakers of deicer 99c, I'm sure similar deals in other Tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Tarpaflex for shelters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECONOMY-TARPAULIN-TARP-LIGHTWEIGHT-WATERPROOF-GROUND-SHEET-COVER-GREAT-VALUE-/400270626376

20130817_164640_zps17063902.jpg

Grand size, light tarp with a good edge folded and heat sealed. Some kind of cordage in the seam to support the grommets. Camo/Olive for woods camping.
    20130817_164025_zps7898ecc1.jpg

Small man is laying on a BASE tarp, can be a one man shelter, but better as a groundsheet and bedroll. Bigger tarp makes a beter shelter for much less money!

http://www.heinnie.com/Tents-and-Shelters/Ultimate-Survival/B.A.S.E.-Tarp-For-One-Person/p-1341-1333-10004/

20130817_164010_zps1610a380.jpg

Some bungees and carabiners and we can make several shelters, handy for stopping off for a brew up or even an emergency shelter. These tarps are light and fold down pretty small, not as minimal as the BASE but much better coverage for a family of four! May be kipping here tonight?

Tarpaflex for shelters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECONOMY-TARPAULIN-TARP-LIGHTWEIGHT-WATERPROOF-GROUND-SHEET-COVER-GREAT-VALUE-/400270626376

Grand size, light tarp with a good edge folded and heat sealed. Some kind of cordage in the seam to support the grommets. Camo/Olive for woods camping
    Wow, 80gsm is the same weight as the standard paper you would use in your printer!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

One to check out on Monday 2nd of September in lidl is their tinned Chili Con Carne at €1.99 PROVIDED they have a long shelf life date (Mexican Fiesta promotion).

Also on the Thursday they have what looks like a half decent fiber glass handled splitting axe for €14.99.

And another one to give some thought to microfibre blankets €11.99 they are handy in family BOB's and car kits as they are warm but very light.

Added info - bought half a dozen of the Chilli con Carne for the store as the use by dates are March 2017, they are large 800g tins with a calorie count of over 800 calories a tin. My experience of these cheap "meal tins" from Lidl is that they are great if you are hungry but probably not first choice if your not and the shops are still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

They had those chilli con carne in my local lidl today. BB date is 2017 so not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

^^^^^

those Tarps look like amazing value

I don't know if its a deal or you get what your pay for but Tesco have those noodle meals you add water to for 20c each (Shanghai Garden) I bought a bunch of them for camping trips I have planned (they have a one year expiry)

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=259578593

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Aldi are selling a tough mobile phone today, its waterproof to 1m and shock proof up to 2m drop. Sim free and €60. Might be worth a look!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/produktwelten/obst-gemuese/detailansicht-pflanzen/ps/p/rugged-mobile-phone/?pk_campaign=ie_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2013-09-26_10-44

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

aaakev wrote: »
    Aldi are selling a tough mobile phone today, its waterproof to 1m and shock proof up to 2m drop. Sim free and €60. Might be worth a look!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/produktwelten/obst-gemuese/detailansicht-pflanzen/ps/p/rugged-mobile-phone/?pk_campaign=ie_product_newsletter&pk_kwd=2013-09-26_10-44

Not really enough info in the add to make me want one. The line "Works with most Irish networks" seems to indicate it won't work on 3's network (they are 3G only).

You can get a Samsung E1200 Keystone 2 from vodaphone for a tenner (so say 30euro with a 20euro topup) and put the 30euro you same towards a decent waterproof case like an otter box.

Advertisement