Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain alerts

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I very much like the idea of a solar USB charger. I have quite a few useful USB devices (nook and phone spring to mind immediately).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

That thing won't charge a phone on irish weather. Seeing the usb port for perspective that thing only looks to be about 10cm on its long side. I'd eat my estimation hat if it made more than .1w

At 5v thats maaayybe 20ma. Phone battery is about 2000mah.. 100 hours of direct sun to a single charge?eh no.

The nook... Maybe

mawk wrote: »
    I'd eat my estimation hat if it made more than .1w

At 5v thats maaayybe 20ma. Phone battery is about 2000mah.. 100 hours of direct sun to a single charge?

You're out by a factor of 10 there. 5v = 200ma for 1W = 10 hours for a charge. If I were just using it in airplane mode for music or what not I'd be happy enough with that.

I had a quick squizz on ebay. This looks pretty decent for the money.

Yup, but that thing almost certainly isn't 1W. My post was based on a 0.1W panel which I thought was more realistic

If it made it to a watt I'd buy one

Ah yes, I missed the . Oops! That makes the ebay one even more of a bargain (even if you get half the rated output from it).

• Advertisement

here is one on aliexpress thats probably similar to the lidl one for half the price
    http://m.aliexpress.com/item/812346367.html

• Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Khannie wrote: »
    I had a quick squizz on ebay. This looks pretty decent for the money.
    Except for this bit:
    1200mA probably

The Lidl one does say
    Charges as fast as a power adaptor
    though....

Not your ornery onager

it probably does discharge its internal battery into your phone grand and fast, but you need to charge out up for days first.

I'm not trying to grinch lidls charger, I just don't think it's very good. I have similar and its unsuitable for ireland, even in summer really. Better off buying a spare battery or a car charger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

Danpad wrote: »

Bought one last year. It's only alright. It'll fully charge a phone over 2 days (Summer) but you'll have to unplug the phone out at dusk.
    The ability to charge it from a USB is a bit more practical. Not worth the money to be honest. I find the battery adapter mobile chargers more practical as long as you're not rough with them.
    http://dx.com/p/compact-aa-battery-usb-emergency-battery-charger-with-cell-phone-adapters-12214

• Advertisement

Bought one last year. It's only alright. It'll fully charge a phone over 2 days (Summer) but you'll have to unplug the phone out at dusk.
    The ability to charge it from a USB is a bit more practical. Not worth the money to be honest. I find the battery adapter mobile chargers more practical as long as you're not rough with them.
    http://dx.com/p/compact-aa-battery-usb-emergency-battery-charger-with-cell-phone-adapters-12214
    The DX one you linked requires an AA battery as a power source though, and it only outputs 350mA. You need a source of charged AA batteries too.

Someone previously mentioned solar-powered garden lights (which usually charge an AA or AAA battery, or can be easily modified to charge them) as being useful.

Possibly the best plan might be to have a wind-up torch/radio modified to charge an external device!

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Danpad

Esel wrote: »
    Possibly the best plan might be to have a wind-up torch/radio modified to charge an external device!

I have such a radio and it works a treat. It's also solar powered! It's one of the best bits of kit I've bought along with my biolite stove.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

I was shown a windup torch that has a power out socket. Available in Mr. Price in Galway I'm told. I will be heading that way soon to check it out. I let you know. I think I will need to get adaptors though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Not a bargin as such but on my objects of desire wish list is this pump up power supply http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freeplay-Freecharger-Portable-Energy-Source/dp/B000I0LD6W/ .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

The n11 outdoor store are giving away all they're army surplus gear, one piece to every customer. Everything from gloves and scarfs to waterproof jackets and trousers! Its a decent shop anyway but this offer is a good reason to make the trip

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Know anyone in the UK that can hold on to this until you see them next?

A 4 LED torch from Amazon for 1p + free UK delivery: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BS8I04/ref=nosim

eirator wrote: »
    Not a bargain as such but on my objects of desire wish list is this pump up power supply http://www.amazon.co.uk/Freeplay-Freecharger-Portable-Energy-Source/dp/B000I0LD6W/ .
    Not a bargain at any stretch of the imagination, tbh.

Rated at 7Ah but "Can jump start automobile and marine engines"? Do you also desire to own a bridge, by any chance? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

Dynamo led torch reduced from 4.99 to 2.99 in Lidl.

Wind up mechanism.
    Runs on either 1 or 3 powerful leds.
    Range up to 10 m.
    Built in Lithium rechargeable storage battery.
    Ip 44.(splashproof)

Cant go wrong at that price.Only a few left.

wolfeye wrote: »
    Dynamo led torch reduced from 4.99 to 2.99 in Lidl.

Wind up mechanism.
    Runs on either 1 or 3 powerful leds.
    Range up to 10 m.
    Built in Lithium rechargeable storage battery.
    Ip 44.(splashproof)

Cant go wrong at that price.Only a few left.

I've a few and while they are good in the short term in the long term they are rubbish. The mechanism is good the LED's aren't bad but the batteries are rubbish. As soon as you leave one for a couple of months and don't charge it the batteries die and they never takes a charge again.

But good reminder to open one of mine up and see if I can find a better quality replacement battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wolfeye

I wonder if that is specific to all Dynamo torchs with lithium batteries?
    Or just to the Rocktrail brand in lidl?
    Maybe best to recharge it every couple of weeks then to keep charged up and not let battery discharge fully in storage?.

• Advertisement

wolfeye wrote: »
    I wonder if that is specific to all Dynamo torchs with lithium batteries?
    Or just to the Rocktrail brand in lidl?
    Maybe best to recharge it every couple of weeks then to keep charged up and not let battery discharge fully in storage?.

I tried that and one of the torches that I kept in the car (I bought 3 of them) lasted all over the winter with regular nightly use and a good bit into the summer with a weekly wind up but then it disappeared for a couple of months and when I found it again in a pile of my stuff my son had borrowed it wouldn't take a charge. The other 2 haven't taken a charge from about 6 months old but were never really used much.

I've seen other brands last much longer with similar use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Know anyone in the UK that can hold on to this until you see them next?

A 4 LED torch from Amazon for 1p + free UK delivery: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001BS8I04/ref=nosim

parcel motel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

picked up 2 wind up (with rechargeable battery inside) LED Torches in Ikea bargain corner for 50 cent each. Cant go wrong really. The led inside should last for years and light up for just as long under hand power even if the battery fails. I left one under the seat of the car. Pretty bright. It just goes to show you have to look everywhere to get bargains as they literally can be anywhere :)

*edit*
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/30190857/

It appears there is no battery inside but instead there is a capacitor which stores charge. I think thats' a good thing as how can it fail you then ?

3kg bags of table/cooking salt in dealz cork for 1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Aldi have alot of camping stuff on over the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Wildlife / security camera

hello guys,
    what would this http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-BEB8A631-96DB060D/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_32046.htm
    be like as an intruder camera or say back up security that could be left in an isolated position and used to check if anyone broke in ect.

aldi have a similar one next week

Its getting old now but Lidl had a few First Aid Kits since Thursday, €6.99. Can't really be beaten for what you get in them. imho of the two types they have the car kit is the better both the same money.

Also noticed some "pound shop" junk in Dunnes that's worth a second look if you have any gaps in your kit and need torches, headlamps, small ground sheets etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Was in Halfords last weekend. Selling off some of their camping gear, a lot of it is useless glamping gear but they did have a set of gucci teflon coated mess tins for €11.99. Anyones whose ever tried to clean a regular aluminium mess tin after frying something knows what a pain it can be so the teflon ones are a godsend.

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Was in Halfords last weekend. Selling off some of their camping gear, a lot of it is useless glamping gear but they did have a set of gucci teflon coated mess tins for €11.99. Anyones whose ever tried to clean a regular aluminium mess tin after frying something knows what a pain it can be so the teflon ones are a godsend.

They'd have to be for personal use only as I've seen the Teflon over zealously cleaned off after a fry up by someone who didn't realize the black was actually Teflon :rolleyes:

On another note noticed some camping stuff in Lidl, nothing that great but picked up 4m x 5m "tarpaulin" for a tenner, I have loads but always handy to have a nice clean one handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Anyones whose ever tried to clean a regular aluminium mess tin after frying something knows what a pain it can be so the teflon ones are a godsend.

Hint: Use sand & gravel from a stream or river bed to clean your pans. Swirl in in the pan, it will lift burnt food in minutes.

Or drop some vinegar in water & bring to the simmer, the dirt & grease will wipe right off. The same can be done with a drop of washing liquid. ;)

Advertisement