Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Manion

I've a set of Elipse P3 Respirators which I wear whenever I leave the house.

http://www.gvs.com/product-family/136/715/

If anyone has any advice on how to clean and disinfect I'd love to hear it?

Note: Whenever I read a comment on Covid-19 by someone that is full of scorn or cocksure certainty I automatically trust what they are saying less. I avoided wearing a mask for a period not for fear or looking like a fool but rather to not cause panic in my neighbours. I finally decided to wear them all the time outdoors after the latest announcement by Leo and because people where still not keeping an acceptable social distance. I've found that when I wear this mask people stay away from me as they Ironically assume I'm infected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭blackbox

I've made my own. Don't plan on wearing masks unless I get sick.

Me too - will also wear it if someone else in the household gets sick.

They're only made of old t-shirts, but I reckone they will still significantly reduce the spread/inhalation of droplets.

Not suggestiing they would be good enough for medical personnel, but must be better than nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yes: other
    Manion wrote: »

*personal opinions* They've removable filters, so I'd take them out and wash the mask itself in warm soapy water and leave to dry. The soap will feck up any viruses. Or wipe them down with alcohol based wipes. I'd try that on a spot of the mask first to see if it reacts badly. I doubt it would, but just to be sure.

And yeah wearing a half face respirator defo increases "social distancing", though I'd say more because people think we're nutters. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

There's also 2 other things to bear in mind I think.. a lot of people are unsure of the difference between the masks, I live in Austria where they brought in today the compulsory wearing of a non-filtering mask in supermarkets and I'm very curious now as to how many people I'll see wearing filtering masks with a ventilator thinking they are complying with the rule. The second issue is complacency, it needs to be strongly emphasised that people still need to comply with the distancing and face touching guidelines while wearing masks

Marsden35 wrote: »
    WHO now being asked about masks on a livestream.......still saying not to wear masks by well individuals only if you're "sick".

Problem is, we don't know who is unwell as this disease can be asymptomatic.

Oh, now basically admitting it was also to protect supply lines to front line medical workers.

A mixed message covering up for the fact it was solely to protect supply lines as we suspected.

If you are asymptomatic, your viral shedding will be less due to not coughing, sweating due to fever etc.

It's not a mixed message. If you are dealing with a symptomatic patient at close range such as performing an ECG. Of course it would make more sense due to the close proximity.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    *personal opinions* They've removable filters, so I'd take them out and wash the mask itself in warm soapy water and leave to dry. The soap will feck up any viruses. Or wipe them down with alcohol based wipes. I'd try that on a spot of the mask first to see if it reacts badly. I doubt it would, but just to be sure.

+1 to this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭1641

The value of wearing masks has to considered in the context of supply. There is not enough to go around. They are undoubtedly most needed by frontline healthcare workers - i don't think anyone argues differently on that. They are also most effective when worn by people who are trained in how to use them properly. I assume that frontline workers receive this training. Most of the rest of us don't. Some on here indicate that they do know how to use them properly - and I accept that is probably so. But equally most of the public have little or no clue as to how to use them safely and effectively but just assume they do - put it on when going out and take it off when get home. They are just like a hat, aren't they?

Are there any possible downsides - apart from using up scarce supply needed by others? There would probably be a concern about risk compenation. This is where we change our behaviour to adjust to the perceived levell of risk. For example, the decision on the Titantic not to undertake avoidance when advised of icebergs in the area because the ship was considered "unsinkable". Would people at population level be more inclined to venture out if they perceived themselves to be safe, or at least safer, with a mask? Again, we would all probably say that this wouldn't apply to ourselves - the same as most people would say that they personally are not manipulated by advertising even though the evidence is that advertising has a considerable effect at population level.
    Looking at it from the reverse viewpoint. There was concern in Sweden that accidents would increase following on from the swap from left side driving to right side driving in 1967. Instead accidents significantly decreased for the first couple of months. People took a lot more care because the perceived risk was high. We are at that stage now with Coronavirus. But would people take more risks if they felt better proptected by masks? At population level would the level of social distancing, self-isolation and/or hand hygiene decline? Given that these are considered more beneficial to prevention than masks there must be a reasonably strong possibility that this would happen. Particularly so, as the very prominence of masks (uncomfortable, highly visible, etc) makes them more likely to impinge on behaviour (unlike, for example, smoke detectors in the house which quickly slip out of consciousness and do not lead to more risky behaviour).

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭dublin99

Manion wrote: »
    I've a set of Elipse P3 Respirators which I wear whenever I leave the house.

http://www.gvs.com/product-family/136/715/

The 3M ones all have cleaning /disinfecting instructions depending on model number.

This is a general guideline:

https://pksafety.com/blog/how-to-clean-your-respirator-mask

I looked into this as many protestors in Hong Kong had to clean their respirators after exposure to tear gas and pepper ball rounds.

In humid climate, they use a hair dryer (cold setting) to dry the respirator before storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Yes: surgical
    OP here - thanks for every post, very informative and helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

No: I don't care enough
    is a scarf around the face sufficient or would the virus penetrate it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭BrianD3

fryup wrote: »
    It's not "sufficient" but it would make some difference. if someone were to spray an aerosol can into your face, would you inhale more of it if your face was uncovered or covered with a scarf.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Probably utterly worthless.

Mask-material.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Find it hard to think of something (less) useful, than a typical (knitted) scarf. It's gaps would be so huge, that really everything would get through: rain/smoke/pollution/dust even coarse salt.

This virus is measured in 0.x microns, so is really tiny.

The only slight exception would be a snythetic or very tight weave fabric type scarf (more like a snood).
    Even a poly cotton with some elasticated stretch ability would be x10 better than a knitted type fabric.

As a last resort, you could use a DIY filter (dried out wetwipes: polyester or polypropylene). But again a typical scarf wouldn't even have the stretch or tightness to hold that in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

fr336 wrote: »
    How many people on Boards have a mask and if so are you wearing them for essential trips? And this late in the day where can you get one that is going to be half decent and not from a suspect seller who could have done anything to it?
    I own an m8 mask but don't wear it because the 90 IQ public will stare at me.

Did you read my post in the main thread about the choir?

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

I have 6 disposable N95 fpp3 respirator masks. I , havent used one yet , when I absolutely have to go to tescos ill wear one and swat up.on how to put it on and take it off properly first . I hope to disinfect it in a uv lightbox after for all the good that will do.

Something I wonder about is protecting the eyes. The reason id wear the mask is in case I came around a corner and someone sneezed on me etc but if im going to that trouble I should wear goggles too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I have 6 disposable N95 fpp3 respirator masks. I , havent used one yet , when I absolutely have to go to tescos ill wear one and swat up.on how to put it on and take it off properly first . I hope to disinfect it in a uv lightbox after for all the good that will do.

Something I wonder about is protecting the eyes. The reason id wear the mask is in case I came around a corner and someone sneezed on me etc but if im going to that trouble I should wear goggles too ?

swim goggles if you have them
    i remember seeing ben kavanagh wearing them in china

There was a guide from I think John hopkins about how to disinfect masks. UV sounds good to me. I think spraying a nebulized mist of water on the outside of the mask and then microwaving it (if there are no metal bits) untill you see steam coming off, would probably do the trick. Spraying a nebulized mist of saturated saline solution on the outside of a mask and letting it dry might also be a good idea: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/a-salt-coated-mask-that-kills-viruses-alberta-researchers-working-on-it-1.4798138

Funny how the acute shortage of masks, even for health workers, has altered the narrative from; never re-use, can't disinfect, to; use these methods to disinfect and reuse your precious mask and you will be good to go.

Official BS hits actual science - splat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I am.covering up - not sure if my masking is effective but I did look like I was holding up the bank earlier today.

I have a few packs of the disposable dust masks and two bigger ones with the little respirator things (I think for protection against fumes) but at the moment I'm just wearing an anti pollution motorbike mask - I only go out once a week for necessary things and I put mask and items of clothes (jumpers etc) straight in for a 60 degree wash on my return. I wear disposable gloves for pumping petrol or pin numbers and wash hands etc before and after removal.

I don't believe there's is a huge efficacy to masks but they make people avoid you, and even if it lessens the chance of catching covid by a small.percentage, I'll do it.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

You realize this means the mouth breathers will most likely survive to inherit and re-populate the planet?
    Surprisingly, ACE2 expression in the lung is very low: it is limited to a few molecules per cell in the alveolar cells (AT2 cells) deep in the lung. But a just published paper by the Human Cell Atlas (HCA) consortium reports that ACE2 is highly expressed in some type of (secretory) cells of the inner nose!

Pretzill wrote: »
    I am.covering up - not sure if my masking is effective but I did look like I was holding up the bank earlier today.

I have a few packs of the disposable dust masks and two bigger ones with the little respirator things (I think for protection against fumes) but at the moment I'm just wearing an anti pollution motorbike mask - I only go out once a week for necessary things and I put mask and items of clothes (jumpers etc) straight in for a 60 degree wash on my return. I wear disposable gloves for pumping petrol or pin numbers and wash hands etc before and after removal.

I don't believe there's is a huge efficacy to masks but they make people avoid you, and even if it lessens the chance of catching covid by a small.percentage, I'll do it.

I'd call a 70% reduction in chance of infection a pretty decent efficacy. It's actually better than washing hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

cnocbui wrote: »
    I'd call a 70% reduction in chance of infection a pretty decent efficacy. It's actually better than washing hands.

Good. I wasn't sure particularly with cloth type masking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

cnocbui wrote:
    Probably utterly worthless.

Untrue.

Whenever epidemic or pandemic happens, Asians (Japanese, Koreans, Chinese) start using masks, on their own, nobody tells them
    They're the craic. Europeans don't, nobody has any experience with this.

Czechia, Slovakia and Poland I believe mandated face masks in the public. For everyone. This is a simple, effective measure that should be taken if the people are not responsible / smart enough to do it on their own (e.g. In the Ireland).

Cloth mask is reasonably effective at stopping droplets. It doesn't stop all virus particles but certainly reduces them. The main purpose is to physically reduce contaminated droplets staying in the air and droplets containing virus staying in surfaces. Some virus goes through but this is way better than open sneezing, coughing etc. Now the purpose is to protect others rather than yourself. Have to be be washed once our twice a week.

Surgical grade FFP2 (or FFP3) masks are for personal protection as well as protection of others. These are required only if you plan to stay in the close contact with suspected case or infected person(s) or if you want to protect yourself in the case you are high risk croup (compromised immune system, morbidity, age). These must be disposed properly after usage, if not disposed of or used properly they may increase the risk of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

cnocbui wrote:
    Exactly and that's the whole point of it.
    And then lack of a physical piece of crap on surfaces i.e. phlegm.

McGiver wrote: »
    Untrue.

Whenever epidemic or pandemic happens, Asians (Japanese, Koreans, Chinese) start using masks, on their own, nobody tells them
    They're the craic. Europeans don't, nobody has any experience with this.

Czechia, Slovakia and Poland I believe mandated face masks in the public. For everyone. This is a simple, effective measure that should be taken if the people are not responsible / smart enough to do it on their own (e.g. In the Ireland).

Cloth mask is reasonably effective at stopping droplets. It doesn't stop all virus particles but certainly reduces them. The main purpose is to physically reduce contaminated droplets staying in the air and droplets containing virus staying in surfaces. Some virus goes through but this is way better than open sneezing, coughing etc. Now the purpose is to protect others rather than yourself. Have to be be washed once our twice a week.

Surgical grade FFP2 (or FFP3) masks are for personal protection as well as protection of others. These are required only if you plan to stay in the close contact with suspected case or infected person(s) or if you want to protect yourself in the case you are high risk croup (compromised immune system, morbidity, age). These must be disposed properly after usage, if not disposed of or used properly they may increase the risk of infection.

it wasn't masks I was talking about, it was the likely effectiveness of scarves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

I've a P3 respirator.
    I use it now every time I go to the shops or when I could be around someone outside.
    Was lucky to get one before they were all sold out, my last one that I had for years broke recently.
    You get a view stares alright, but I'm living with someone who's high risk so better to be safe than sorry.

cnocbui wrote: »

What's the actual source for that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Yes: homemade
    anyone who thinks others wearing a mask is stupid ,, is a moron

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement