Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Checks

Options
  • 29-03-2020 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭

How can a Garda check ID and keep distance.

All due respect to Garda - But I don't want them near me, they are as high risk as you get out there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Cork_Langer1

All due respect to Garda - But I don't want them near me, they are as high risk as you get out there.

You have to give your license if driving so take the producer, I'm going to the shop if asking were you're going, it's a request at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

You have to give your license if driving so take the producer, I'm going to the shop if asking were you're going, it's a request at the moment.

But how can a Garda take a license and talk to you and both of you stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

The likelihood in a 1 minute interaction of infecting you, is pretty low, they can keep distance to a degree and ask Whatever question they need.

It isn’t like you get infected by being close to someone for a few seconds.

They're standing back when speaking to you you stick your hand out and they stick theirs BAM 2 metres, just take a producer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tape your licence to the end of a hurl and stick the hurl out the window to show them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Unless you are close contact with the guard for 15 minutes + you have nothing to worry about,unless the guard sneezes or coughs on you which is unlikely
    Obviously wash your hands when you get to your destination and when you get home

How could you not know what close contact means at this stage?
    You will be within 2 metres at your supermarket checkout
    Same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

It most definitely is.

The likelihood in a 1 minute interaction of infecting you, is pretty low, they can keep distance to a degree and ask Whatever question they need.

Says who ?

it is clear this thing is the most contagious thing we have ever come across.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Unless you are close contact with the guard for 15 minutes + you have nothing to worry about,unless the guard sneezes or coughs on you which is unlikely
    Obviously wash your hands when you get to your destination and when you get home

Same thing

It is the same thing.

The biggest risk is a shopping center and now Garda Check Points.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Where else would you be going though!?

Agree with this.

The checks should be only if required - and by exception , no for the sake of

• Advertisement

Says who ?

Says every piece of advice given out. Limit interaction etc - it isn’t like a movie where the very second you come into contact with someone.

Do you honestly believe that the Guards would be out there if they could infect people or they themselves would get infected in a couple of seconds.

Every healthcare worker in country would be infected by now.

Panicking like this will do you no good.

Agree with this.

The checks should be only if required - and by exception , no for the sake of

Would think the opposite - more checks the better to keep people inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Says who ?

Says the world health organization

Of course if you believe the daily mail, you can get it from watching French people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

pablo128 wrote: »
    Tape your licence to the end of a hurl and stick the hurl out the window to show them.

I'd love to see a guard's face if they saw a hurl coming out through a window towards them!
    I'd be reaching for the pepper spray anyway, if I had some.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

It is the same thing.

The biggest risk is a shopping center and now Garda Check Points.

That's not the case
    The risk is longer than 15 minutes in close contact ,that is the guideline.
    Going shopping is not a risk if you are social distancing and washing your hands
    Coming within 2 metres at the checkout is only an issue if the assistant expels droplets
    Same with guards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭munster87

Darc19 wrote: »
    Says the world health organization

Of course if you believe the daily mail, you can get it from watching French people.

I watched an episode of ‘Allo ‘Allo earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

munster87 wrote: »
    I watched an episode of ‘Allo ‘Allo earlier.

"You stupid woman"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This weekend was one Garda operation. We don't know how they will police the working week. But the talk of needing id's, proofs of work etc isn't encouraging. Neither is the talk of stiff penalties.

The lists are long & very subject to interpretation. I doubt that the average Garda is in a position to assess this. Their task should be to ensure social distancing, not setting up checkpoints.

Discodog wrote: »
    This weekend was one Garda operation. We don't know how they will police the working week. But the talk of needing id's, proofs of work etc isn't encouraging. Neither is the talk of stiff penalties.

The lists are long & very subject to interpretation. I doubt that the average Garda is in a position to assess this. Their task should be to ensure social distancing, not setting up checkpoints.

Agree with this - this 15 mins is very flawed, because we are told it is even active on surfaces - how on earth can you have a safe check point.

95% + will go along with instructions - Garda should just stick to obvious gatherings etc.

Everyone else is just going shopping or walks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

Cars have windows which can be seen through from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The Gardai do not want to be close to you just as you dont want to be near them.

Very easy to ask a question of where youre going from a 2 meter distance. ID can be shown pressed against the window if required.

Mortelaro wrote: »

Same thing

In that case what's the problem with people out walking ? If the Guard takes your id, license, letter of authority etc & hands it back to you there is real risk. The Guards are interacting with lots of people & won't be able to wash their hands .

it's only going to be on a surface if somebody coughed on/above the surface or coughed into their hands and then touched the surface.

it doesn't come out through people's hands/ skin

most transmission is through inhaling droplets.

secondarily surfaces that have been touched by a lot of other people e.g. lift buttons, door knobs on high-traffic doors, keypads in shops etc.

n'yarda checkpoints are unlikely to pose any risk unless the n'yard coughs at you from a close distance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Modify a selfie stick, and put your licence at the end of it, have it sitting on the passenger seat ready, and thrust it out the driver window when they approach.

Ninthlife wrote: »
    The Gardai do not want to be close to you just as you dont want to be near them.

Very easy to ask a question of where youre going from a 2 meter distance. ID can be shown pressed against the window if required.

But what's the point ? People are allowed to shop so anyone can say they are shopping. What crime is this going to stop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Im in the middle of a house move ( I know great timing ) and the broadband installer is coming Monday.

Where Im currently living and working from home, is a 45 minute drive away. Will there be any issues if I get stopped? I'm thinking not, as all Im doing is literally opening the door for him, waiting in the car untill he has installed and thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭topdecko

Says who ?

Measles is the most infectious disease of all time with an Ro of 12-18. Coronavirus has an Ro of 2-3.

joe123 wrote: »
    Im in the middle of a house move ( I know great timing ) and the broadband installer is coming Monday.

Where Im currently living and working from home, is a 45 minute drive away. Will there be any issues if I get stopped? I'm thinking not, as all Im doing is literally opening the door for him, waiting in the car untill he has installed and thats it.

Just tell them you're going to the shop or heading to check on an elderly relative. Saying anything else just complicates things unnecessarily.

Keep in mind they still have no extra powers or legislation. Everything, even the govt. restrictions, are just 'advice' at the moment. They really shouldn't be putting the Gardai out there without some legislation to help them along. Stacking the deck against them, as usual. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Guys you cant catch coronavirus by passing someone on the street or holding up your licence for someo ne to read. Alot if exaggerated fear out there.

• Advertisement

Wesser wrote: »
    Guys you cant catch coronavirus by passing someone on the street or holding up your licence for someo ne to read. Alot if exaggerated fear out there.

All guards have the virus, drop the boot, smoke the rubber and don't stop. Remember the advice, treat everyone as if they have covid 19.

:)

Advertisement