Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Boggles wrote: »
    I know, at least that would be some sort of excuse.

Excuse for what exactly? I don't begrudge the man a thing.
    No, would love to.

Link them up if you can please.

I have them in a whatsapp message. Will see if I can attach later.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Brian? wrote:
    My only point is that his current objection is out of spite.

Unless he has confided in you, you don't know what his motivation is tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Jupiter Mulligan

Brian? wrote: »

Or paranoia.

Unless he has confided in you, you don't know what his motivation is tbh.

Fair enough. It looks like spite to me though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,259 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes. I know. I understand why he didn't sell. It's entirely up to him if he sells. I'm glad he won his fight against the CPO. I think it's bizarre some of the replies I'm getting.

It's a moot point whether you can exercise spite against a multi-national corporation. Spite implies a degree of personal malice or malevolence. We have no evidence that TR is that sort of person, indeed he seems to be the opposite.

But when a man's back is to to the wall.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Boggles wrote: »
    Were you exempt from the tax rises and lack of investment in services too?

How much worse would be the investment in services without the likes of the contribution that Intel makes to the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How much worse would be the investment in services without the likes of the contribution that Intel makes to the economy?

I don't see how that is relevant to the discussion we were having.

But like I have said previously, Intel are a fantastic company and have been great for Kildare and Ireland, but also vice versa. They acted the cúnt in this instance though and they need to be called out on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Excuse for what exactly? I don't begrudge the man a thing.

I have them in a whatsapp message. Will see if I can attach later.

Here it is.

https://www.kildarenow.com/gallery/news/414911/farmer-objecting-again-to-intel-s-proposed-plant-4-times-the-size-of-whitewater-shopping-centre.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zuxa gif iwo

...he has better handwriting than me,

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I've seen far worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Short update...
    Intel Ireland has requested ABP to invoke section 138 of the Planning and Development Act where the board can dismiss appeals if it finds that it is vexatious, frivolous or without substance or foundation.

A decision is due on the Intel case in October.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/intel-requests-dismissal-of-vexatious-appeal-by-farmer-to-its-leixlip-expansion-1.3985237

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Good for Intel - it looks as they they've finally had enough of the needy, attention-seeking Reid acting the maggot.

Hopefully ABP will accept their submission, although it would take a degree of guts that it seldom displays. I suspect they'll opt to hold a full hearing. Then, of course, when Reid's nonsensical appeal is dismissed, he'll be off to the High Court. The "best small country in the world to do business in" my hole! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Portsalon wrote: »
    Good for Intel - it looks as they they've finally had enough of the needy, attention-seeking Reid acting the maggot.

Hopefully ABP will accept their submission, although it would take a degree of guts that it seldom displays. I suspect they'll opt to hold a full hearing. Then, of course, when Reid's nonsensical appeal is dismissed, he'll be off to the High Court. The "best small country in the world to do business in" my hole!

reid is neither needy, attention seeking, or acting the maggot.
    ABP have guts, hence they won't simply roll over and allow foreign companies do what they like, just because they are multinationals and poring investment into the country. that is absolutely how things should be. quite rightly, intel will not get special treatment.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

ABP have guts, hence they won't simply roll over and allow foreign companies do what they like, just because they are multinationals and poring investment into the country. that is absolutely how things should be. quite rightly, intel will not get special treatment.

If there is zero substance or grounds to an objection, then why should it delay a decision on planning and put investment in jeopardy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

just because they are multinationals and poring investment into the country.

Damn right, **** them we dont need them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The Lonely Battle of Thomas Reid reflected extremely badly on the IDA, looked very like corrupt practice. Have they addressed it at all since?

Reid is clearly a very principled man, could not be bought at any price. Strikes me as a guy who won't be intimidated by anyone either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

If there is zero substance or grounds to an objection, then why should it delay a decision on planning and put investment in jeopardy?

Probably because for ABP to act in such a decisive and sensible manner would really upset the bleeding-hearted marshmallow brigade. Not to mention the human detritus that infests the opposition backbenches like maggots in the decomposing corpse of a long-dead cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Perhaps the individuals supporting this man's appeal here want the investment to go to Israel instead?

Because that is where it will be going.

Oh but wait all those poor Palestinians...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Perhaps the individuals supporting this man's appeal here want the investment to go to Israel instead?

Because that is where it will be going.

Oh but wait all those poor Palestinians...
    Just because we want a transparent planning process does not mean that we don't want to see developments so no need for the sarky remarks!
    Reid lives next door to the plant. He is absolutely entitled to submit an appeal.
    If there is merit to his appeal then ABP will see it. If not then the appeal will fail. Why do you have a problem with this process?
    Should a large development have an absolute right to go ahead regardless of what people think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Why do you have a problem with this process?

I'm concerned he'll go to the courts and we'll end up with another Apple fiasco only this time much more damaging.

The objections he has submitted are absurd and blatant time wasting.

Don't kid yourself that there is any logic other than vexatiousness here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Why are Intel so fixated on that site. There's plenty of room right behind them which as I understand it, is property that does not belong to Reid - or is he now objecting to development work that doesn't even involve the acquisition of his land?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Laois_Man wrote: »
    or is he now objecting to development work that doesn't even involve the acquisition of his land?

yes and he has been previously as set out in the article

this is not an application for his land

Intel cannot apply for planning on land owned by someone else

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Why are Intel so fixated on that site. There's plenty of room right behind them which as I understand it, is property that does not belong to Reid - or is he now objecting to development work that doesn't even involve the acquisition of his land?

He's objecting to work that has nothing to do with his land.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Reid lives next door to the plant. He is absolutely entitled to submit an appeal.

I agree that people should be free to appeal

but at the same time if someone appeals every time there is an application in a location using the same objections which are not accepted every time then there should be a limit before the system can dismiss such appeals pretty quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I am on his side with the original objection which directly impacted his land. Intel had no right to try to strong arm him

However, his behaviour since has been tiresome. While everyone should have the right to lodge a coherent objection to any planned construction, he is just causing unnecessary delays. This isn't 'sticking it to the man,' its just him being petty and childish for the sake of it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

He's not the only objector. Peter Sweetman has also lodged an objection.

Whatever about Reid's entitlement to object (I think he is acting on his principals, and was very badly treated in the past), Sweetman has a track record of objecting to major infrastuctural projects all over the country, including the Amazon data centre and the Galway bypass. He was instrumental in taking the Galway bypass case to the courts in Europe.

He's also available for hire as an environmental consultant, and has been employed on projects such as the Galway harbour expansion, to advise on how best to secure planning permission for the project.
    https://connachttribune.ie/environmentalist-sweetman-hired-galway-harbour-expansion/
    Funny, that.

I am on his side with the original objection which directly impacted his land. Intel had no right to try to strong arm him

However, his behaviour since has been tiresome. While everyone should have the right to lodge a coherent objection to any planned construction, he is just causing unnecessary delays. This isn't 'sticking it to the man,' its just him being petty and childish for the sake of it

Intel never tried to strong arm him. They offered him money and he refused. Then the IDA tried to illegally CPO his land.

I agree his current objection is pure spite.

they/them/theirs

Sweetman is a crank IMO, is also objecting to an utterly sensible development in Doonbeg. Have a lot of sympathy for Reid and think the behavior of the IDA and Intel is v poor.
    People have a right to go through the planning process and have their objections heard and that is as it should be. Given the terrible planning in many Irish towns and the flooding seen in many places as a result, you’d think more people would understand the need for process.

• Advertisement

Sweetman is a crank IMO, is also objecting to an utterly sensible development in Doonbeg. Have a lot of sympathy for Reid and think the behavior of the IDA and Intel is v poor.
    People have a right to go through the planning process and have their objections heard and that is as it should be. Given the terrible planning in many Irish towns and the flooding seen in many places as a result, you’d think more people would understand the need for process.

I have nothing against the proper planning restrictions. But what exactly did Intel do wrong? They offered him money for his land and he said no. Then the IDA stepped in and acted the maggot, hardly Intel's fault.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement