Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Boggles wrote: »
    You did receive a cut to take home pay, it's moot you got a pay rise.

Now his assertion was "everyone suffered cuts", which probably isn't entirely true. But it would be close enough, I'd be pretty sure he didn't just mean wages.

But If the recession and what it caused had absolute no effect on you at all during it or now. Then fair dues.

I can't imagine it didn't though. Unless you have lived in a tent, hunting your own food the past decade.

I never said the recession had no effect on me. It just had no monetary effect on me. It was the same for a lot of people who worked in good jobs through the recession, it just wasn’t the done thing to hold you your hand and say “actually I’m grand” while it had a terrible effect on hundred so of thousands of people.

I’m not sure why you want to fight this battle. But I’ll revise my statement: Thanks to my job at intel the recession effected me far less than other people. I felt very little effect, I can’t think of one tangible negative effect on my monetary situation.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I think some people think the way the attempted cpo was carried out was both underhanded, and worrying that a state agency would operate in such shady circumstances.

I know.

But that’s done and dusted now. The planning application is a completely different issue.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Brian? wrote: »
    I know.

But that’s done and dusted now. The planning application is a completely different issue.

Done and dusted, but only done and dusted in Reid's favour due to their skullduggery being inadvertently revealed in court.

If that error hadnt of been revealed, who knows where Reid would be now, my guess is on a memorial card with a little prayer.

Looked a fairly fragile man from what I can see.

Done and dusted, but only done and dusted in Reid's favour due to their skullduggery being inadvertently revealed in court.

If that error hadnt of been revealed, who knows where Reid would be now, my guess is on a memorial card with a little prayer.

Looked a fairly fragile man from what I can see.

Ok. What has it got to do with the planning application?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 39,626 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’m not sure why you want to fight this battle. But I’ll revise my statement: Thanks to my job at intel the recession effected me far less than other people. I felt very little effect,

There is no one fighting, I just thought your original statement was a bit bizarre.
    I can’t think of one tangible negative effect on my monetary situation.

Well you must have lived somewhere, unless you lived with your parents.

If you rented, bought property, sold property, paid Vat on something, drove a car, took public transport.

Those and a million other things would have had a negative effect on your monetary situation.

When they talk about X % of drop in income or rise in expenditure, that is an average, the reality is the vast majority of people did, it was indeed ironically for the "Common Good".

• Advertisement

Ok. What has it got to do with the planning application?

The man has an axe to grind, understandably.

I don't think he does TBF.

He firmly believes they will come for his land again and honestly I believe him, as the only honest person in this whole saga, why wouldn't I?

His lands are not any less desirable and in 10 years time when Intel want to open Fab 4, I think there is a strong chance the IDA will be back, armed with a change in legislation which they got off the back of this case.

This type of skulduggery will only lead to more objections in the future, where people would have had no problem with an industry moving in beside their lands, they most certainly will now if there is even a slight chance some arrogant prick rides up 20 years later telling you to get out, "greater good", unlucky!

Ok. But do people honestly support him in grinding said axe? He’s objecting purely based on a grudge, we think that’s ok now?

they/them/theirs

He firmly believes they will come for his land again and honestly I believe him, as the only honest person in this whole saga, why wouldn't I?

His lands are not any less desirable and in 10 years time when Intel want to open Fab 4, I think there is a strong chance the IDA will be back, armed with a change in legislation which they got off the back of this case.

This type of skulduggery will only lead to more objections in the future, where people would have had no problem with an industry moving in beside their lands, they most certainly will now if there is even a slight chance some arrogant prick rides up 20 years later telling you to get out, "greater good", unlucky!

Even if this is all true, why are people cheering his objections to the current planning application? He’s objecting based on spite, as far as I can see. Why is that a good thing?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Even if this is all true, why are people cheering his objections to the current planning application? He’s objecting based on spite, as far as I can see. Why is that a good thing?

Because they see it as sticking it to "the man", because they don't like multinationals and it won't affect them if Intel go somewhere else.

You'd imagine prospective multinationals will look at this case and the aborted Apple data centre and reckon coming here isn't worth the hassle when any crank with a grudge can stop or delay a building construction.

• Advertisement

He isn't, he said that he objecting based on the IDA moving the goal posts and his firm belief that they will come for his lands again with further expansion down the line.

I believe, there absolutely no reason why that is not a possibility.

Unless you are privy to knowledge none of us have?

Sorry, worded badly on my part, yeah, he's on the defensive and who could blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Boggles wrote:
    If you rented, bought property, sold property, paid Vat on something, drove a car, took public transport.

Boggles wrote:
    Those and a million other things would have had a negative effect on your monetary situation.

But if he bought a house during the recession it would have had a positive effect on his monetary situation!. He would be a a couple 100k in positive equity.

Because they see it as sticking it to "the man", because they don't like multinationals and it won't affect them if Intel go somewhere else.

Who that doesn't have some sort of acute brain injury doesn't like multinationals? :confused:

If Intel go somewhere else, that will be Intel and Intel alone, absolutely nothing to do with Thomas Reid.

I think this case has resonated with people, because we don't like bullies and in classic bully style when the bully doesn't get the upper hand they are first ones shouting stop.

You'd imagine prospective multinationals will look at this case and the aborted Apple data centre and reckon coming here isn't worth the hassle when any crank with a grudge can stop or delay a building construction.

I doubt it. I imagine they will look at us the exact same way they have done the past 30 odd years.

Tax Haven. Free Access to largest market in the world. Settled society. Skilled workforce.

They may look at the failed data centre for Apple, but then I imagine they would swiftly look at the 20 odd million the state will end up paying in trying to give Apple back the 15 billion he Eu claim they owe.

Honestly I can see much more as we as a country can do for Multi Nationals, apart from letting them write laws, which they are effectively doing now.

We have had law change on the back of Athenry and this case.

But if he bought a house during the recession it would have had a positive effect on his monetary situation!. He would be a a couple 100k in positive equity.

Did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Boggles wrote:
    Did he?

Don't know. Just pointing that you said it affected negatively which is factually incorrect!

He isn't, he said that he objecting based on the IDA moving the goal posts and his firm belief that they will come for his lands again with further expansion down the line.

I believe, there absolutely no reason why that is not a possibility.

Unless you are privy to knowledge none of us have?

They will come for his land again, if it’s legal.

It has zero to do with the current application though.

they/them/theirs

They will come for his land again, if it’s legal.

It has zero to do with the current application though.

The original planning application had nothing to do with him either, but I'm sure if he knew what was going to happen to him he would have objected back then too.

At this moment in time, no. The current planning has no effect on him. But it could have an effect on the environment, will have to see how it goes. In the future, you certainly don't know and I certainly don't know, but I will concede to the expert in this, Thomas thinks there is a possibility. Thomas unlike the IDA is not breaking any laws, he is entitled to object to the planning application under our current laws.

The original planning application had nothing to do with him either, but I'm sure if he knew what was going to happen to him he would have objected back then too.

At this moment in time, no. The current planning has no effect on him. But it could have an effect on the environment, will have to see how it goes. In the future, you certainly don't know and I certainly don't know, but I will concede to the expert in this, Thomas thinks there is a possibility. Thomas unlike the IDA is not breaking any laws, he is entitled to object to the planning application under our current laws.

He’s entitled to object, but painting him as a hero sticking it to the man is ridiculous.

they/them/theirs

He’s entitled to object, but painting him as a hero sticking it to the man is ridiculous.

Jesus the stink of bitter begrudgery off you.

He has acted with nothing but honesty and integrity against an arm of the state who tried to illegally take his farm and hand it to a private company.

I do despair at some people and on how far we have moved and forgotten about what should matter.

Must be 8 years of Fine Gael.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

The only one looking out for Thomas Reid is himself. Is he not entitled to do that ??

Easy to say never mind about down the road when one fundamentally doesn't care what happens to him down the road. The very people guessing that Intel will go if this and that doesn't please them in the future don't seem to get that TR is also guessing what Intel will do in the future and based on his negative experience of them, it will not be good for him. But sure he should cop himself on and realise other people are far more important than himself. Isn't that right !

Jesus the stink of bitter begrudgery off you.

What possible reason do I have to begrudge the man anything? That’s some serious projection there horse.
    He has acted with nothing but honesty and integrity against an arm of the state who tried to illegally take his farm and hand it to a private company.

I do despair at some people and on how far we have moved and forgotten about what should matter.

Must be 8 years of Fine Gael.

He acted honestly during the fight against the cpo. Now he’s objecting out of spite.

they/them/theirs

What possible reason do I have to begrudge the man anything?

It is a mystery all right.

He acted honestly during the fight against the cpo. Now he’s objecting out of spite.

How do you know? We can only take his word for it. What else have you heard?

That would be nothing wouldn't it horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

He should sell but by god the man should get paid way more than the land is worth.

It is a mystery all right.

I no longer work for intel. So it is.
    How do you know? We can only take his word for it. What else have you heard?

That would be nothing wouldn't it horse?

Have you seen his hand written objections to the planning? I have.

they/them/theirs

Bowlardo wrote: »
    He should sell but by god the man should get paid way more than the land is worth.

Rumour is he was offered 10m. That’s way more than it’s worth.

they/them/theirs

I no longer work for intel. So it is.

I know, at least that would be some sort of excuse.
    Have you seen his hand written objections to the planning? I have.

No, would love to.

Link them up if you can please.

It's not even close to what it's worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Brian? wrote:

Novel concept but some people regardless of price cannot be bought. He places no monetary value on the land. I know several farmers exactly like this man. They see themselves as only having guardianship of the land.

• Advertisement

Novel concept but some people regardless of price cannot be bought. He places no monetary value on the land. I know several farmers exactly like this man. They see themselves as only having guardianship of the land.

Yes. I know. I understand why he didn't sell. It's entirely up to him if he sells. I'm glad he won his fight against the CPO. I think it's bizarre some of the replies I'm getting.

My only point is that his current objection is out of spite.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement