Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

He has objected again but this time for a different application on the site.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/kildare-farmer-lodges-fresh-objection-against-new-intel-application-966398.html?__twitter_impression=true

I'm all for objections that have substance but this guy is taking the piss and our process allows every crank do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Unsubstantiated or vexatious objections are routinely dealt with by planners without undue delay.
    The timescale to allow for objections to be considered is built in by applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If we had a fit for purpose process that disposed of blatant vexatious objections within a day sense would not be needed.

Like Apple this whole project was put at risk due to our planning process.

the process is fine.
    it has done exactly what it is designed to do and perfectly.
    any objections and claims are rightly investigated and a decision made within good time, a rushed decision could turn out to be a bad decision, so better to take time and do it right.
    He has objected again but this time for a different application on the site.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/kildare-farmer-lodges-fresh-objection-against-new-intel-application-966398.html?__twitter_impression=true

I'm all for objections that have substance but this guy is taking the piss and our process allows every crank do this.

again non-issue, if his objection isn't valid it will be found so. the process works.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

In the papers again today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/court-grants-farmer-permission-to-challenge-3-6bn-intel-plan-1.4150344

Still doing his darndest to prevent those jobs.

This time it's parking spaces and vibrations.

The state will lose this investment to Israel in my opinion.

Our system is totally screwed up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

greencap wrote: »
    In the papers again today.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/court-grants-farmer-permission-to-challenge-3-6bn-intel-plan-1.4150344

Still doing his darndest to prevent those jobs.

This time it's parking spaces and vibrations.
    The vibrations in his head

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Panjandrums

What's funding the high court costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Good man Thomas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

For the good of the country we need to plough on with these projects. Intel is placed in a strategic zone and it should be designated as such.

If you want to uphold progress go live out in a bog in Offaly.

The exact same can be said for metro North. Nimbyists are only a hinderence to progress and the majority pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I fully support him - at least someone is taking the risk to the environment into consideration - unlike An Bord Pleanala

As for Intel I used work for them and remember well them printing and putting onto everyones desk letters saying who was objecting to the new fab being built and giving their name and address out to thousands. I still feel sick at the thought of such abuse of power against a small rural family man trying to protect his home and childrens safety all those years ago.

As for their shoddy tricks against Reid in their last campaign - I only hope he wins - again. It’s a classic David and Goliath story. Fair dues Mr Reid - you are many peoples hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They tried a CPO on his farm.

Can’t really blame him.

The rule of law should apply here.

You can't just take someones land because you want to build a factory.

Ireland is not china.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I fully support him - at least someone is taking the risk to the environment into consideration - unlike An Bord Pleanala

As for Intel I used work for them and remember well them printing and putting onto everyones desk letters saying who was objecting to the new fab being built and giving their name and address out to thousands. I still feel sick at the thought of such abuse of power against a small rural family man trying to protect his home and childrens safety all those years ago.

As for their shoddy tricks against Reid in their last campaign - I only hope he wins - again. It’s a classic David and Goliath story. Fair dues Mr Reid - you are many peoples hero.

Objectors names and addresses are made public when they object

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

As for Intel I used work for them and remember well them printing and putting onto everyones desk letters saying who was objecting to the new fab being built and giving their name and address out to thousands.

Bloody hell is this true?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yes, it’s available to any one who search’s Kildare planning portal.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

godtabh wrote: »
    Objectors names and addresses are made public when they object

Yes of course they are, that's not the point.

If Intel deliberately put his details on the desks of thousands of their employees it was obviously in an attempt to intimidate him.

There's a big difference between someone having to look up planning permissions online if they were interested and deliberately giving out his details on everyone's desk.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of his appeals, I didn't think Intel would do something like that.

It's only fair to point out that the name on an objection in a Council File is only there in the context of the objection.

The name is part of a document which gives the full detail of the persons objection.

On it's own the name of an objector conveys no information which would allow someone to form an opinion as to the validity of the objection.

A strange tactic for a multi-national to engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

No,
    I've worked at Intel for 15 years and this didn't happen and I've never heard anything like this happen for anyone I know working there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Doubt it. They would gaining nothing but bad publicity from it.

Disgruntled ex employee id say.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

It's not true, that guy has a wild imagination. I've worked there 18 years and never seen this...

Im also from the area , grew up on a farm not far from Thomas Reids, the man is an oddball...

Just re-reading the post there is a possibility that he may not be referring to the Read objection.

I'll suspend judgement pending clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Big Gerry wrote: »
    The rule of law should apply here.

You can't just take someones land because you want to build a factory.

Ireland is not china.

The needs of the many here. There's billions of euros in jobs and investment here. Thousands will directly benefit from this factory.

How many will benefit from a field with a few cows on it?
    The government CPO land regularly for infrastructure, sometimes cutting fields in half. When you're driving on a motorway you're on CPO land. Would it have been better to leave it and have to drive through every village and borren to get around?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

ongarite wrote: »
    No,
    I've worked at Intel for 15 years and this didn't happen and I've never heard anything like this happen for anyone I know working there.

Same > 20 years there, never heard that happen either

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The needs of the many here. There's billions of euros in jobs and investment here. Thousands will directly benefit from this factory.

The government CPO land regularly for infrastructure, sometimes cutting fields in half. When you're driving on a motorway you're on CPO land. Would it have been better to leave it and have to drive through every village and borren to get around?

Major difference there.
    The motorway CPO's were for public infrastructure.

Dayo93 wrote: »
    Same > 20 years there, never heard that happen either

That's because it's bs and didn't happen.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Padre_Pio wrote: »

If Intel want it so badly then why give what appear to be legitimate grounds to appeal? Something as simple as air pollution should not have been overlooked.
    Reid is following the planning laws. Intel obviously are not.

If Intel want it so badly then why give what appear to be legitimate grounds to appeal? Something as simple as air pollution should not have been overlooked.

It wasn't overlooked.

This went through the planning process.

The crank lost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

f*uck intel and f*uck datacentres too, if people knew what was really goin on, these villains would never have been let off the boat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

LaFuton wrote: »
    f*uck intel and f*uck datacentres too, if people knew what was really goin on, these villains would never have been let off the boat.

What’s really going on?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

LaFuton wrote: »

And how did you make this post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

He's appealing, as is his right. Yet again.
    Whether air pollution has been overlooked remains to be seen, but considering the amount of work done on these applications I don't think its something that hasn't been considered. Have you looked at the planning documents lodged?
    Do you think ABP don't flag things like air pollution assessments as vital to a development of this scale?
    Why do you say Intel "obviously are not ' following the planning laws?
    Where have they been refused planning for this development because of not following planning laws? There have been objections, appeals, they've been handled through our planning system according to our laws. Where have they not followed planning? Do you think they've cut corners or something?

Advertisement