Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

cycling down Georges st at lunchtime on a DB, a pedestrian stepped out in front of me. I loudly said "beep beep" (recent habit), then had to shout a warning when that had no effect. she slowed down, didn't stop, never once acknowledged or looked at me as I passed by looking at her while wondering if she was at all aware of what had just happened. even when i was further down the road she never looked my direction or even looked like it had bothered her in the least.

Saw similar yesterday evening after work, walking down Georges Street as well

A girl ran across the the road through stopped traffic and right in front of a guy on a bike coming down the hill in the cycle lane, she barely even acknowledged the incident such was her hurry

It was lucky for her the guy on the bike had his wits about him and had slowed in anticipation or it could have been a nasty accident

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Stopped at the (red) lights at the Blessington St/Nr Frederick St junction this afternoon. A genius on a Dublin Bike appears from behind me, ploughs through a few pedestrians at speed narrowly missing a couple and does a sharp left turn into Dorset St without slowing. What he hadn't counted on was the manhole cover just on the corner so down he went as his back wheel lost grip. He bounced back up fairly quickly and went on his way but hopefully had time to notice the broad grins all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Stopped at the (red) lights at the Blessington St/Nr Frederick St junction this afternoon. A genius on a Dublin Bike appears from behind me, ploughs through a few pedestrians at speed narrowly missing a couple and does a sharp left turn into Dorset St without slowing. What he hadn't counted on was the manhole cover just on the corner so down he went as his back wheel lost grip. He bounced back up fairly quickly and went on his way but hopefully had time to notice the broad grins all round.

Were you in a car or on a bike? From the dismissive tone of your post I guessing a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

oxygen wrote: »
    Were you in a car or on a bike? From the dismissive tone of your post I guessing a car...

I didn't get that at all - all I read was that Mercian Pro (not a username I'd associate with anti-biking sentiment, BTW) saw some cr4p behaviour by someone on a bike, and was pleased to see karma catching up with them.
    Your post actually speaks more about your generalisations of other road-users, based on their mode of transport, than anything Mercian Pro posted...

oxygen wrote: »

Wouldn't dream of taking the car into town especially at this time of the year so, yes, I was on my bike. I didn't think my tone was particularly dismissive - in fact, I'm not sure what you find dismissive about it.

From my perspective at the time, an irresponsible cyclist very nearly hits two pedestrians who were legitimately crossing the road, breaks a red light at speed and comes off the bike as a result of that speed, his manoeuvre and lack of road skill. My perspective would have been no different if I had been one of those abhorrent people - a driver.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Mercian Pro is the cycling forum bully. i regularly hold his coat for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

And I have a frame with his name on it...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have to go into a dark room and cry for awhile whenever I see he is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

I had a very annoying one this morning, albeit not quite a near miss.

Coming up leeson street, through the set of lights after the institute. Came through at the same pace as the second of two busses and continued at same pace. First bus indicates to pull in at Starbucks stop, so too I notice does the second one, as I'm still at the mid-bus doors at this point.

I look to the mirror, make eye contact with the driver who starts pulling slightly left. We both come to a stop behind the lead bus which is pulled in, he leaves about 6 inches of space between him and the first bus.

Doors open and I ask could he not have given me enough space to get out, or wait until I had passed him as he was stopping anyway.

He started shouting at me could I not get out of his way, I was blocking him from getting close enough to the path to let his passengers off safely. I asked where would he like me to go, seeing as he was too close to the other bus and he had blocked me from moving anywhere else. He told me it wasn't his problem..

I kept my cool and just said you should be proud of your driving, the first bus pulled off and I made my way on.

I'm sure the passengers wonder what's going on half the time with this stuff, surely at some stage cameras should be brought in on busses to monitor their drivers behaviour and driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

VW 1 wrote: »
    surely at some stage cameras should be brought in on busses to monitor their drivers behaviour and driving.

A lot of buses have cameras on board, so the action may have been captured. Other solution is to get your camera - use it to report it to the gardai and / or bus company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

I had a very annoying one this morning, albeit not quite a near miss.

Coming up leeson street, through the set of lights after the institute. Came through at the same pace as the second of two busses and continued at same pace. First bus indicates to pull in at Starbucks stop, so too I notice does the second one, as I'm still at the mid-bus doors at this point.

I look to the mirror, make eye contact with the driver who starts pulling slightly left. We both come to a stop behind the lead bus which is pulled in, he leaves about 6 inches of space between him and the first bus.

Doors open and I ask could he not have given me enough space to get out, or wait until I had passed him as he was stopping anyway.

He started shouting at me could I not get out of his way, I was blocking him from getting close enough to the path to let his passengers off safely. I asked where would he like me to go, seeing as he was too close to the other bus and he had blocked me from moving anywhere else. He told me it wasn't his problem..

I kept my cool and just said you should be proud of your driving, the first bus pulled off and I made my way on.

I'm sure the passengers wonder what's going on half the time with this stuff, surely at some stage cameras should be brought in on busses to monitor their drivers behaviour and driving.

That's really annoying & dangerous, it's like the driver is taking their frustration out on you. I've had it happen a handful of times with both Dublin Bus (who are usually quite good in fairness) and Aircoach, they're punishing you for daring to be in the space they want to occupy. What kind of maniac would knowingly & willingly risk someone's safety while driving a double decker bus?!

....surely at some stage cameras should be brought in on busses to monitor their drivers behaviour and driving.

The newer (post 2012) Dublin Buses have an external camera over the front door that, AFAIK, points along the side of the bus. I have no idea if the drivers can monitor these cameras or if they are only there to record "incidents" for later viewing (and litigation!)
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/Media-Releases-Archive/Media-Releases/New-Buses-Launch/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The newer (post 2012) Dublin Buses have an external camera over the front door that, AFAIK, points along the side of the bus. I have no idea if the drivers can monitor these cameras or if they are only there to record "incidents" for later viewing (and litigation!)
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/Media-Releases-Archive/Media-Releases/New-Buses-Launch/

I was waiting at the spawell roundabout last week and a bus which had tailgated me the whole way up the hard shoulder decided to blast the horn at me. I turned around and motioned "what?" and he gestured for me to move over to the right. I was actually turning left, but it's a massive, busy roundabout, in the dark, and I'm on a few kilos of aluminium, so I'm taking the left lane, and waiting for a decent gap. Anyway, I took my time and when we met at the next set of lights I had a word, said I was an experienced cycle and just being cautious, not fair to bully cyclists like that. I imagined someone new to cycling could be a little more put out by something like that. I stayed relatively calm until he told me I "shouldn't be on the road anyway" and told him to go f*ck himself (yeah I know, sorry). He immediately closed the window, fair enough, but started fiddling with the panel above his head. Made me wonder if he had some kind of tagging functionality - I doubt they'd have access to save/not save - or he could have just been doing something else and I wanted to post to vent :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Came really close to being killed this morning. Classic case of car entering roundabout from my left and not stopping despite me being lit up like a Christmas tree. 800 lumen flashing front light with a second as backup + a flashing helmet light pointed right at him.

I was watching him all the way but it’s hard to know if they’re going to stop or not. Car to his left did stop but he decided not to I guess until he had to slam on to avoid killing me.

It’s a sh*te roundabout and I’ve written to the council with a request for some simple mods to slow down lunatics like this. Will be interesting to see if I get an acknowledgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

After 3 years of mostly uneventful cycling I get 2 near death experiences in one day. This morning on the way to work was the roundabout above. Going home a pr*ick drives straight at me on my side of the road at about 40km/hr. He knew what he was doing, overtaking parked cars on his side (none on mine), he deliberately shifted position across towards me with his wheels nearly touching the kerb on my side and then swerved away at the last second. Didn't get his plate and regret not doing a u-turn after him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Read my post on this thread, look at what I did. Almost identical incident, driver got penalty points and a fine. Please follow it up.

He's smugly sitting at home knowing full well he's got away with it and feels he had every right to do what he did.

Change it.

Just on this, looked back through your posts, and forgive me if I missed something, but the driver got a points and a fine based on what you said to the Gardai, is that correct? Not looking to pick an argument, just curious as to how that would be taken as grounds for a judgement against a driver unless there was other evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kmart6 wrote: »
    Just on this, looked back through your posts, and forgive me if I missed something, but the driver got a points and a fine based on what you said to the Gardai, is that correct? Not looking to pick an argument, just curious as to how that would be taken as grounds for a judgement against a driver unless there was other evidence.

You give statement
    Garda approaches the accused
    They can accept the FCPN with an admission of guilt or deny it
    If denied its up to the courts to work out

Only an idiot would deny in cases where cameras are involved. Testimony only and who knows.

Would the Gardai indicate that there is video/witnesses against the accused? Would have presumed that you would have to be shown that there is proof to an allegation before it being put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The garda gets the copy before getting in touch.

OK get that with the video evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The process for me with my video evidence was this:

1. Call traffic watch, explain what happened, mention there is video evidence.
    2. Garda calls me a week later, I re-explain and state I have video evidence, we arrange to meet at the station.
    3. Meet at the station, and garda takes a video of my laptop screen showing the events on his phone.
    4. That evening he goes to the address of the driver with evidence.

Then it proceeded from there. It ended with the driver coming to the station to apologise to me directly. And it was left at that.

Haven't used my own footage yet, but in the 3 weeks or so since I've being using a rear camera, there's been some crazy stuff going on.

In saying that, I had a young 'lady' over take me while I was indicating and turning right in Lucan (Ireland's official capital of car dependency) a few years back. The shear recklessness of the move and her attitude when I had a word with her made me report it. The guard who took the case called to her house at 7am on a Saturday morning to deliver his warning to her, while she was at the door hung over and in her dressing gown. Hopefully enough to wake her up.

Had an absolutely bonkers one this morning, after dropping the wee one to pre-school I decided I'd ride home the long way only 5km as opposed to the usual 1.5 direct route.

Came to a round about, relatively small with really only a single lane width in and out with a barely there hard shoulder. I was slowing on approach checking right and ready to keep going once I saw it was clear, when an idiot came from behind and decides he's not stopping or slowing down but sees he doesn't have room between me and the road furniture so does what any right minded person would do and goes the wrong way around the roundabout exiting at 12 still on the wrong side and at speed narrowly getting in to avoid an on coming car at the 12 exit.

I had to stop on the other side as the lady in the car was stopped and visibly upset. Don't use a camera on this bike unfortunately but was able to get a partial reg and the make. Hopefully it's enough for the Gardaí

I was going through this roundabout in the phoenix park a few weeks ago, going straight on to pick up the city bound bike lane and indicating accordingly. Some clown in a 4 x 4 went partially over the cobbles, in an attempt to overtake me - I guess you'll never get those 5 seconds back, and my own life was clearly not worth as much as saving a few seconds on his commute. Probably the one incident that affirmed my decision to get a camera.

https://goo.gl/maps/WSGYeBWW1cs

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Haven't used my own footage yet, but in the 3 weeks or so since I've being using a rear camera, there's been some crazy stuff going on.

In saying that, I had a young 'lady' over take me while I was indicating and turning right in Lucan (Ireland's official capital of car dependency) a few years back. The shear recklessness of the move and her attitude when I had a word with her made me report it. The guard who took the case called to her house at 7am on a Saturday morning to deliver his warning to her, while she was at the door hung over and in her dressing gown. Hopefully enough to wake her up.

In her defence, if a guard called to my house at 7am on a Saturday morning, they would probably find me hung over and in a dressing gown as well... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

more than a near miss unfortunately, saw a woman on a bike being hit by a car at Leeson st bridge this morning. she was coming from Harolds cross direction along the canal, car going against her turning right, she came up the inside of a van that was waiting at the (green) lights because the road was blocked up ahead.

she was very shook after but hopefully physically ok...that said she mentioned that she bumped her head after surfing across the bonnet. she wouldn't take the drivers details, just wanted to get out of there as quick as she could. will check this evening to see if my camera captured it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

more than a near miss unfortunately, saw a woman on a bike being hit by a car at Leeson st bridge this morning. she was coming from Harolds cross direction along the canal, car going against her turning right, she came up the inside of a van that was waiting at the (green) lights because the road was blocked up ahead.

she was very shook after but hopefully physically ok...that said she mentioned that she bumped her head after surfing across the bonnet. she wouldn't take the drivers details, just wanted to get out of there as quick as she could. will check this evening to see if my camera captured it.

She was in shock. I've come across people immediately after a spill off the bike and I try and insist that they sit for at least 2 minutes and breathe. Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I force myself to do the same if anything ever happens. Hopefully she's okay.

It's always hairy passing a van into a junction like that. Motorists should absolutely be ultra careful and proceed slowly for just this situation, but we all know this is not the reality. I would tend to slow, and be prepared to jam on. I'd even stand up if it meant I could be seen easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

She was in shock. I've come across people immediately after a spill off the bike and I try and insist that they sit for at least 2 minutes and breathe. Adrenaline is one hell of a drug. I force myself to do the same if anything ever happens. Hopefully she's okay.

It's always hairy passing a van into a junction like that. Motorists should absolutely be ultra careful and proceed slowly for just this situation, but we all know this is not the reality. I would tend to slow, and be prepared to jam on. I'd even stand up if it meant I could be seen easier.

I always stand up on the pedals when approaching a junction like this, both to see and be seen.

Hope she's alright, it's no fun going over a bonnet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

yeah I fully agree - from what I saw the driver was primarily to blame but the cyclist simply didn't expect that it could/might happen and needed to be more aware in general. it was first time I've seen an incident like that in the flesh and it really seemed like it was happening in slow motion yet there was no avoiding it from when I saw it happening. she was there for maybe 5 mins after the incident but was definitely in shock.
    i tried to get her to take the drivers details just in case but she wouldn't, she was quite upset and really just wanted the comfort of her office which she said was nearby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That junction is a bit of a clusterfúck these days, thanks to selfish idiots who push through at all costs, regardless of the timing. This was the situation about 5.30pm this evening, with three cars heading north that didn't get through before the lights changed, so they're blocking all the traffic coming from the west, which in turn is blocking most of the traffic coming from the east.

436055.png

So only 1/2 of the traffic coming from the east gets through when the lights change, so they start beeping and blowing, and at the next change, they're blocking traffic going north, and it all starts all over again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement