Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I doubt it...he had a green light and he would have to move forward to see if anything was coming down the hill to his right. If i was the taxi driver and i was accused of that, I'd fight it!

I doubt it myself, just throwing it out there really.

Had something similar happen to me in the car recently, a cyclist broke a red as I started to move off, same scenario as the video, I was turning right but my view was obstructed so I was moving slowly and had time to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

Suffered a very close pass coming up mobhi Road this evening. A girl in a car squeezed past me while there was oncoming traffic, it's a narrow lane at the best of times, I was a good two feet from the kerb to discourage close passes.

When we got to the lights at the top of the hill I pulled alongside her and made a what was that gesture. She asked what? I said you were extremely close to me as you squeezed past. She told me she was miles from me. I asked did she want to take my bike and I'll take the car to show her it's not possible to be miles away when there's oncoming traffic, I was waved off like a minor inconvenience.

Very frustrating that even approaching these things in a calm manner and the person in the metal box can't be bothered to listen to your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

VW 1 wrote: »
    Suffered a very close pass coming up mobhi Road this evening. A girl in a car squeezed past me while there was oncoming traffic, it's a narrow lane at the best of times, I was a good two feet from the kerb to discourage close passes.

When we got to the lights at the top of the hill I pulled alongside her and made a what was that gesture. She asked what? I said you were extremely close to me as you squeezed past. She told me she was miles from me. I asked did she want to take my bike and I'll take the car to show her it's not possible to be miles away when there's oncoming traffic, I was waved off like a minor inconvenience.

Very frustrating that even approaching these things in a calm manner and the person in the metal box can't be bothered to listen to your view.

If you can do it safely, try sticking your arm out as they pass to signal to them to move away. If the car hits your hand, it is a very clear indication that they are too close.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Aggressively shouting abuse at someone walking down the street is potentially a breach of the peace.

On what planet is shouting aggressively at someone putting your life in imminent danger a breach of the peace?

I would take my day in court for that. A Garda said it to me once - a motorist pulled out in front of me , I gave him the finger. He stopped, did a u-turn, caught me, wedged me in, got out of his car and Went to hit me. He grazed my chin with his fist and then pushed his hand into my face, I backed away but he still made contact. I had to put my bike between him and me for protection. Unknown to me, it was all witnessed. The driver was loosing the plot and said he was calling the Garda because I had offended him and his young daughter in the car. He told me I was low life scum and if he had his way would not be allowed use Eglington Road. Go up Beaver Row where the rest of the low life live!
    The Garda arrived and this guy had to be cautioned that if he said one more offensive thing he would be arrested on public order charges. So far so good!
    I gave my account and added I gave the finger because he pulled right out in front of me - after clearly seeing me and I don’t have a bird to beep for the same purpose. It was a pointless and dangerous act. The witness, whom I had been chatting to while waiting, concurred the with everything I said and said he thought the guy was going to run me down. Then the Garda told me if I made a complaint against the motorist for either dangerous driving or attempted assault, he would have to summons me for a breach of the peace. I was stunned that he was willing to overlook an assault. I said I had it on camera and the Garda did it did not matter. He agreed the driver was a plonker, was on thin ice on this but I had caused him to loose the head. I said that’s not true – it was his dangerous driving that was the cause of this. Garda said no. I had to drop it or I was going to court. I turned to the witness and thanked him for staying and told him in front of the Garda that this is a farce as far as justice goes. He agreed, said to the Garda that he was amazed I was being threatened with a summons for being quite civilized to an act of road rage, provocation, slander and attempted assault. Garda said he had to be fair to the driver! So this unstable plonker got of with a stern word from the Garda.

Some Garda are just not interested. This was in July- I thought I had the footage backed up but it’s gone. I am sorry I did not press charges for dangerous driving, road rage and assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Traffic was bad tonight in Cork city, I was in the car on my way to play some ball. Turns out there was an accident on Proby's Quay, a Coca-Cola bike was under a car on the bike lane. The car was coming out of a tiny side street directly opposite the Cathedral, crossing the bike lane, which is contra flow.

Ambulance at the scene. Hope to God whoever it was isn't badly hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Suffered a very close pass coming up mobhi Road this evening.
    mobhi road has one of the most stupid cycle lane systems i know of. if you're cycling uphill, you're "meant" to be on the opposite footpath.
    i avoid it on the bike - i go past the pointy church and the washerwoman, which may not suit you depending on which way you're heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

mobhi road has one of the most stupid cycle lane systems i know of. if you're cycling uphill, you're "meant" to be on the opposite footpath.
    i avoid it on the bike - i go past the pointy church and the washerwoman, which may not suit you depending on which way you're heading.

I wouldn't usually travel that way, usually go to Finglas via phibsborough and up the n2. Sometimes I need to get to santry, and hadn't considered going that way. Makes much more sense to do it that way and turn right at the met office now that you mention it. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

You are right. its basically getting people on the footpath - but then it the cycle path just stops.....what next.

The extra annoying thing about this..... Fintan O'Toole - who is local to the area here - wrote an article on National Bike Week some years back absolutely castigating cyclists for amongst other things..... using the footpath. But Fintan never pointed out that on the two main arteries to where he lives - Mobhi Road and Drumcondra Road - the Bike Path is on the Footpath. Dont let minor details get in the way of a good rant....

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/cycling-is-a-good-thing-and-boy-do-cyclists-know-it-1.1423498

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Danbo! wrote: »
    Interesting one the other morning, bit of a non-event, but I've had a few incidents with Dublin Bus over the last few months so thought this was worth a shout.

Look at the overtake, he left me so much room, I was impressed. Then he needs to pull in to stop so indicates and gives a flash of the hazards as an apology for pulling in so soon, and (not visible in video) an apologetic wave when I overtook. Watching it back, I found it weird to think that when someone passes as safely and respectfully as this, it's a notable moment on the commute.

Unrelated to the nice overtake by DB, but are you sure your front light is positioned correctly?
    It seems like it could be pointing too high based on the reflective street signs flashing as you pass them.

Very annoying and distracting for oncoming traffic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

GreeBo wrote: »
    Unrelated to the nice overtake by DB, but are you sure your front light is positioned correctly?
    It seems like it could be pointing too high based on the reflective street signs flashing as you pass them.

Very annoying and distracting for oncoming traffic...

:( It's pointing down very slightly, maybe 5-10 degrees. I would say I've never had issues with it but how would I know :o I'll point her down further, thanks for pointing it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You are right. its basically getting people on the footpath - but then it the cycle path just stops.....what next.

The extra annoying thing about this..... Fintan O'Toole - who is local to the area here - wrote an article on National Bike Week some years back absolutely castigating cyclists for amongst other things..... using the footpath. But Fintan never pointed out that on the two main arteries to where he lives - Mobhi Road and Drumcondra Road - the Bike Path is on the Footpath. Dont let minor details get in the way of a good rant....

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/cycling-is-a-good-thing-and-boy-do-cyclists-know-it-1.1423498

That's some article alright. Nice to able to spew all your angry thoughts passing them out as fact in a national paper. His wonderful conclusion too" "And cyclists need to get over themselves." as opposed to under a truck is it Fintan

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Danbo! wrote: »
    :( It's pointing down very slightly, maybe 5-10 degrees. I would say I've never had issues with it but how would I know :o I'll point her down further, thanks for pointing it out.

Nice one, they can actually be pointed significantly down and still be perfectly visible to oncoming traffic, with the added benefit of you seeing the potholes!
    Remember that car drivers eyes are at near waist height so you are much higher than they are.

Buses and trucks will still easily see a light pointed at 30 or more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Tombo2001 wrote: »

i read that article around the time it came out and i remember wondering if it was FOT's turn to write the semi-regular 'balanced' article on cyclists the IT peddled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

More of a heads up than a near miss.

A private bus in Lucan yesterday morning was picking up kids at numerous stops but wasn't pulling in to the kerb to do it, he was doing it almost 2 meters from the kerb.

No way would a cyclists have known he had stop and could cycle straight into the kids.

Also he was driving on the wrong side of the road a few times, incident reported.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had a "discussion" with a taxi driver regarding the paths. He told me to get off the road (the clearly marked bus and cycle lane) and use the patch.

Pointed out it was for the other direction and he got very angry. Then he let a private vehicle into the lane anyway as he waited dutifully in the traffic and away I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

So I'm on the way to work last week on that very icy Monday. I've been cautious as the middle of the roads are okay, but the edges are still visibly icy. I go down a road with a series of roundabouts on it and notice that each roundabout is pretty slidey. As I'm approaching one of the single lane roundabouts a SUV approaches from the 9 o'clock exit. I am heading from the 6 o'clock straight through to the 12 o'clock.

I look at the SUV driver and notice that they are looking to their left towards the 12 o'clock exit. I keep an eye on them as I am on the slidey roundabout at this point.
    Turns out that the flecker is not slowing down and they are *still* looking left only.
    On a roundabout.
    Where everyone comes from your right.
    Including me.
    Right now.

Ordinarily a bit of furious braking and a wild manoeuvre would help avoid this gobsheen, but it's icy, so I can't brake too much, and I certainly can't jerk the handlebars either. Maybe this might not be a bad time to find religion and pray that a vengeful deity will smite this eejit before they run into me?

So I roar at the driver. Something like "Blarrgh! Look where you're going! Blarrgh!" and do my best to turn the bike without sliding under the car. They are still steadfastly staring left as they drive their car through the space I am starting to occupy. At this point I could tap on the window without removing my hand from the hoods we are that close. I'm still shouting blue murder, and not a blink from the driver.

We exit the roundabout side by side, they put the boot down and accelerate away. I haven't been struck but it wasn't for lack of trying. I'm thinking, they certainly didn't attempt to see me, maybe they just didn't hear me either. Then I look down the road and see two startled teenage lads looking back over their shoulders a solid 100m from the roundabout. They were trying to see what the commotion was about, so I wasn't exactly being too subtle about my warning cry.

Message for the day: if you insist on driving like a gob****e, try and make some consideration for the conditions, please?

I wouldn't usually travel that way, usually go to Finglas via phibsborough and up the n2. Sometimes I need to get to santry, and hadn't considered going that way. Makes much more sense to do it that way and turn right at the met office now that you mention it. Cheers!
    it's probably a little steeper as the climb is shorter, but a little more punctuated than mobhi road.
    if you're coming down that hill though, beware - i've heard reports of cars exiting the bons whose field of view is obscured by the shrubbery at the entrance, and not seeing cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

RasTa wrote: »

Lucky for them the car was going slow. Difference between a cyclist and pedestrian on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

check_six wrote: »
    So I'm on the way to work last week on that very icy Monday. I've been cautious as the middle of the roads are okay, but the edges are still visibly icy. I go down a road with a series of roundabouts on it and notice that each roundabout is pretty slidey. As I'm approaching one of the single lane roundabouts a SUV approaches from the 9 o'clock exit. I am heading from the 6 o'clock straight through to the 12 o'clock.

I look at the SUV driver and notice that they are looking to their left towards the 12 o'clock exit. I keep an eye on them as I am on the slidey roundabout at this point.
    Turns out that the flecker is not slowing down and they are *still* looking left only.
    On a roundabout.
    Where everyone comes from your right.
    Including me.
    Right now.

Ordinarily a bit of furious braking and a wild manoeuvre would help avoid this gobsheen, but it's icy, so I can't brake too much, and I certainly can't jerk the handlebars either. Maybe this might not be a bad time to find religion and pray that a vengeful deity will smite this eejit before they run into me?

So I roar at the driver. Something like "Blarrgh! Look where you're going! Blarrgh!" and do my best to turn the bike without sliding under the car. They are still steadfastly staring left as they drive their car through the space I am starting to occupy. At this point I could tap on the window without removing my hand from the hoods we are that close. I'm still shouting blue murder, and not a blink from the driver.

We exit the roundabout side by side, they put the boot down and accelerate away. I haven't been struck but it wasn't for lack of trying. I'm thinking, they certainly didn't attempt to see me, maybe they just didn't hear me either. Then I look down the road and see two startled teenage lads looking back over their shoulders a solid 100m from the roundabout. They were trying to see what the commotion was about, so I wasn't exactly being too subtle about my warning cry.

Message for the day: if you insist on driving like a gob****e, try and make some consideration for the conditions, please?

There’s a good chance the driver was perfectly aware of you and deliberately looked the other way. I had a girl at work do similar thing to me before only worse. She was approaching roundabout from 12 OClock, me from 6 OClock. I am on the roundabout before her and she makes a big exaggerated look over her right shoulder but conveniently avoids making eye contact with me and then pulls right out across me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

some amusement for the festive season...the junction at Baggot st bridge is a free for all most evenings.

and a crudely edited summary of some of the typical actions of motorists on your average day of rule adherence.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

some amusement for the festive season...the junction at Baggot st bridge is a free for all most evenings.
    And the genius who finds himself stuck in the yellow box, and then reverses back towards the crossing pedestrians.
    and a crudely edited summary of some of the typical actions of motorists on your average day of rule adherence.
    But, but, but I saw a cyclist break a red light this morning.

And the genius who finds himself stuck in the yellow box, and then reverses back towards the crossing pedestrians.

and beeped and gesticulated at the guy coming against him because he also broke the lights and was impeding the progress of this lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

RasTa wrote: »

Christ almighty, he began to take off across three lanes without so much as a glance! Candidate for the Darwin Awards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I’m looking forward to the independent reporting transgressions by motorists, purely for balance of course, now that everyone seems to have a dash cam these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

New year - same bull**** for me. Cycling down North quays in Dub this morn, a bus passed me within a couple of feet then proceeded to pull in at stop no more then 20 yards ahead of this pass. I had to brake quickly and move out.
    I believe due to distraction of this, I then made the mistake of moving out as I was shoulder checking instead of checking first. Another bus was bolting down the outside of the 2 bus lanes and I was nearly made the sandwich between the 2 buses. He managed to slow up quick enough and move out a bit but even though I was partially at fault for this second. near hit within a few seconds, He surely had to have seen, I had nowhere to go due to original bus cutting me up.
    The whole thing was so unnecessary and I spent a good few minutes after this with an elevated heart beat counting my lucky blessings.

P.S.

I had worked a couple days over christmas period and commuted by bike and it was so peaceful.

Yes, amazing how this thread is mostly active Mon-Fri when people are commuting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

Schools not back until next week so we’re only spooling the thread up at this stage. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement