Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Wherever there is impatience, you are always likely to find a taxi!

Town was glued this morning, and it was not helped by toe taxis in the yellow box heading north side at O’Connell, and blocking westbound traffic off Burgh Quay. They were going nowhere either side of the box, but they could not take that chance so fcuked it up for even more motorists.

yeah I fully agree - from what I saw the driver was primarily to blame but the cyclist simply didn't expect that it could/might happen and needed to be more aware in general. it was first time I've seen an incident like that in the flesh and it really seemed like it was happening in slow motion yet there was no avoiding it from when I saw it happening. she was there for maybe 5 mins after the incident but was definitely in shock.
    i tried to get her to take the drivers details just in case but she wouldn't, she was quite upset and really just wanted the comfort of her office which she said was nearby.

Hope she is ok. The driver should have insisted she take them. Will they report it to AGS like they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I don't know, but I'm tempted to report it myself. I was watching the lights to my right in the run-up to the collision so I made an assumption regarding her apearing from the side of the van that was completely wrong, having watched the video back. the cyclist was completely in the right, see below.
    you can hear me saying my equivalent of the Father Ted "fvcking hell" in the background...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Yes, you should report this due to the clear footage. That's terrible driving. No excuse whatsoever for the driver of the car. Ive had that happen me on so many occasions, albeit lucky enough to have never been hit in this scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I'd report that, the bike was visible before the car started the turning maneuver.

Had the driver looked he/she would have seen the cyclist.

And, does the motorist speed up in the turn to try and get in front of the cyclist?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I don't know, but I'm tempted to report it myself. I was watching the lights to my right in the run-up to the collision so I made an assumption regarding her apearing from the side of the van that was completely wrong, having watched the video back. the cyclist was completely in the right, see below.
    you can hear me saying my equivalent of the Father Ted "fvcking hell" in the background...

That is shocking really. Terrible driving and awareness. Cyclist will be sore this morning for certain, hopefully there was no lasting damage done.

I'm not too sure what you can do here since you are no the injured party.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

does the cyclist know you have the footage?

does the cyclist know you have the footage?

yes I told her, however she was in shock as discussed here yesterday and was even asking me had she done anything wrong. she wouldn't take driver details or indeed mine which I offered, in case she wanted to follow-up afterwards.
    I was unsure regarding the submission of footage alright - if I am not the victim, can the gardai pursue it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

definitely report that. Bloody hell

• Registered Users Posts: 28,439 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I was unsure regarding the submission of footage alright - if I am not the victim, can the gardai pursue it?
    Yes, you're reporting dangerous driving. What's the odds the driver had one eye on a WhatsApp group chat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Looks like the van may have flashed the driver of red car unless his lights are just on. Again, that seems to be something that happens regularly where the driver then proceeds to go as quick as possible without checking for cyclists.

Looks like the van may have flashed the driver of red car unless his lights are just on. Again, that seems to be something that happens regularly where the driver then proceeds to go as quick as possible without checking for cyclists.

somebody also beeped in warning, I had thought that might have been the van driver but hard to tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Bike front wheel looks a bit bent at the end as well, the cyclist should be pursuing the costs of repair / having a crash test check covered. Red car driver had ample time to react there's no excuse really, it's just plain old bad driving.

somebody also beeped in warning, I had thought that might have been the van driver but hard to tell.

I would report it. Poor girl did nothing wrong. The driver did wrong. It was dangerous driving. If the driver was in anyway decent, they should have insisted the girl take their details.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

In bus lane this morning and a guy who came out to skip the queue decided that hitting me, on my right foot was a more reasonable response to be held up for 10 seconds. Still not sure how he didn't knock me.

Have it on camera, including when he came out into the bus lane, whene he jumped in and out again,and so on.

DQ3LPpRWkAAbAge.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Jesus. That's nuts. I presume you have the reg?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus. That's nuts. I presume you have the reg?

I do indeed, Aldi camera picked it up quite well. He jumps out of traffic about 200m earlier. And then goes in and out once more before staying in the bus lane until fosters avenue.

i am sure reporting it will achieve nothing but will pop down tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    I would report it. Poor girl did nothing wrong. The driver did wrong. It was dangerous driving. If the driver was in anyway decent, they should have insisted the girl take their details.

Unbelievable - it almost looks deliberate. The cyclist was not going fast and was in plain view. The more I watch it, the angrier I get.

Have to say, if it was me, I'd be making sure that a combination of my solicitor and the guards would be riding that driver hard.

Unbelievable - it almost looks deliberate. The cyclist was not going fast and was in plain view. The more I watch it, the angrier I get.

Have to say, if it was me, I'd be making sure that a combination of my solicitor and the guards would be riding that driver hard.

It’s impossible to prove it as a deliberate act though. Similar would be procetued as driving without due care and attention/without regard for other road users. This ensures bad drivers stay on the road for as long as possible before eventually being banned, and keeps the judges and defendant oriented system busy. Been there and seen it all in action!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It’s impossible to prove it as a deliberate act though.
    never attribute to malice what can be far more easily attributed to idiocy.

I've reported the incident in the video on the last page to Traffic Watch. will update here on any progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Wait what now? Are we seriously at the stage where a van driver applauds when a cyclist gets knocked down?
    Even less chance of using the bike for the 20km each way commute to work during the summer on rural roads .... :mad:

Roadside Christmas tree vendors are a PITA. The council may not of granted a licence to trade from that spot. It’s not beyond the realms of possibility thst they would allow someone block a pavement for profit!

DLR granted a casual licence for selling coffee in a public car park on Sandyford Road, Mon-Fri. The presence of the coffee has turned the small car park into a virtual drive through during AM rush hour.

I don’t think the councils know who is trading from where, or care the impact of casual trading on passing traffic/pedestrians, and the enforcement or restrictions etc is poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...DLR granted a casual licence for selling coffee in a public car park on Sandyford Road, Mon-Fri. The presence of the coffee has turned the small car park into a virtual drive through during AM rush hour....
    It's very handy all the same. I don't even have to get off the bike to refuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

I commute to the Rotunda hospital every day by bike and usually am very paranoid about crossing the tracks at the bottom of Parnell square - crossing at a snail's pace and sticking to the cobbled bit.

Brand new 28mm tires last week and today I took the tracks at too narrow an angle but still going slow enough. Over I went and only the quick reflexes of a bus driver kept me from more than a grazed knee.

I'm no pro cyclist but I'm a safe, competent one, and I'm still shaken over it.

We're only human, I can't guarantee that if I took that junction another 100 times I wouldn't go down again even being extra careful and next time the bus might not stop as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,519 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

kmart6 wrote: »
    Just on this, looked back through your posts, and forgive me if I missed something, but the driver got a points and a fine based on what you said to the Gardai, is that correct?

Sorry for the late reply, but, yes, that's correct.
    kmart6 wrote: »
    Not looking to pick an argument, just curious as to how that would be taken as grounds for a judgement against a driver unless there was other evidence.

Of course, no arguments! Yes, I called trafficwatch, told them what happened. The Gard called me, I dropped in to the station with a 100% honest, prepared statement including the language I used when my blood was up. I exaggerated nothing, there were no embellishments.

I had no camera. From what I can gather, the gard read my statement to the driver and his response wasn't good enough. The Gard was pretty positive the driver wouldn't be acting the maggot again.

I implore all of you to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Night before last heading home from work just after 8pm. On Alfie Byrne Road, sitting at the red light on the right turn into East Point Business Park (so I could join the cycle path). Nobody else in my lane at that hour and several cars to my left going straight on towards Clontarf.

Heard the roar of a tortured engine at full throttle coming up behind me (light still red). Turned around to look and a car tore past me with inches to spare on the wrong side of the road, through the red light and to the right of the traffic island. He was on the absolute limit of acceleration and grip, I'd say he was doing about a ton easily. There was an articulated truck coming in the opposite direction and was almost to the lights. The car dived left after it passed the traffic island back onto it's own side with inches to spare I'd say.

Bloody terrifying. I was sat stationary on the bike so, had he hit me, I'd never have had a chance. From the time I heard him to the time he passed me in a white blur was about 2 seconds max. It was dark with sleety rain so visibility (and grip) weren't great. Absolute fcuking madness. Another cyclist came up behind me just afterwards and he was convinced it was game over for me.

Car was clearly stolen. It's bad enough having to deal with the usual occasional stupidity and aggression on the roads without having to deal with this too. Counting my blessings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Rogue, I think I speak for most of us here when I say: "Jayyysis! You were lucky."

Also, "Bagman, dispense fresh underpants!"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement