Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foo Fighters

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Have to say both songs have grown on me and i think after watching the first 2 episodes of Sonic Highways helped me like them more

Foo Fighters and Rise Against to tour Australia and New Zealand

16392_10154727920835705_561387403940674241_n.jpg?oh=a15975cd399fc025b1ca07ba7e5b4bf8&oe=54E94C8A&__gda__=1425339144_9552de3d00730b66fb0454f6a8dc1c82

Feb. 18 -- Christchurch, AMI Stadium
    Feb. 21 -- Auckland, Mt. Smart Stadium
    Feb. 24 -- Brisbane, Suncorp Stadium
    Feb. 26 -- Sydney, ANZ Stadium
    Feb. 28 -- Melbourne | Etihad Stadium
    March 2 -- Hobart, Derwent Entertainment Centre
    March 4 -- Adelaide, Coopers Stadium
    March 7 -- Perth, nib Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Dave Grohl's already looking ahead to the Sonic Highways follow up
    http://loudwire.com/foo-fighters-dave-grohl-sonic-highways-follow-up/
    Wait until you see what we’re doing for the next record That’s some ****ed up ****t. I already know what we’re doing for that, and it makes this look like ****ing kindergarten.

Also a 31 second preview of Congregation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I was expecting so much more but I found with some of their songs over the years that they are growers... There is a few I wouldn't have been crazy on at first but now I love....

3rd song released from Sonic Highways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,479 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Better than the last effort, tis alright!

The Foo's Invictus Games closing set

All My Life
    Times Like These
    The Pretender
    Learn To Fly
    My Hero
    Dave Addresses The Crowd/White Limo
    Arlandria
    Dave Introduces The Band
    Cold Day In The Sun
    Walk
    Dave Being Dave, Telling Stories, Taking T Shirts etc.
    Best Of You
    Saying Goodbye, Thanking Everyone
    Everlong

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭colmufc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Foo's Invictus Games closing set

All My Life
    Times Like These
    The Pretender
    Learn To Fly
    My Hero
    Dave Addresses The Crowd/White Limo
    Arlandria
    Dave Introduces The Band
    Cold Day In The Sun
    Walk
    Dave Being Dave, Telling Stories, Taking T Shirts etc.
    Best Of You
    Saying Goodbye, Thanking Everyone
    Everlong
    completely forgot about that show looks good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

3rd song released from Sonic Highways

Probably the best of the 3 so far but still no White Limo.

Episode 3 up on BBC iPlayer. It does require a VPN to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Those 2 songs sound exactly like every other Foo Fighters song I've ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭RayCon

that 3rd song , Congregation, has a slight Thin Lizzy feel on the chorus. Not bad ..... it's harmless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RayCon wrote: »
    that 3rd song , Congregation, has a slight Thin Lizzy feel on the chorus. Not bad ..... it's harmless.

That pretty much sums up the Foos nowadays.

Between this documentary and the recent 'Sound City', it seems like Grohl is desperately searching for a spark of inspiration and decided it may be found in his own past. If these three songs are anything to go by, he's running on empty.

Playing a big show on July 4th in washington DC, so expect the European run to be pre-July, what with German shows announced.

Dave Grohl has said that he is open to the idea of Foo Fighters headlining Glastonbury 2015 – and Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis says the band are "overdue" an appearance.

Speaking to NME for a major feature in this week's issue, which is on newsstands and available digitally now, Grohl is asked if he is keen to headline the Worthy Farm festival for the first time.

"I mean, it's an iconic festival," the frontman replies. "I just tell everyone if they need a band, we're pretty good. They should give us a call. See what happens."

Asked to respond to the quotes Emily Eavis told NME: "We'd love to have the Foo Fighters back at Glastonbury and they haven't played since 1998 so its well overdue! We'll have to see..."

At the moment Foo Fighters are one of the bookmakers favourites to headline the festival. Other rumoured names for 2015 have included Fleetwood Mac, Muse and AC/DC.

Earlier this week it was reported that Grohl does not approve of bands revisiting old albums on their anniversary and admitted that he considered re-recording Foo Fighters' debut album to "piss people off".

Foo Fighters' eighth album, 'Sonic Highways', will be released on November 10. As previously revealed to NME, Eagles' Joe Walsh, Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard and Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen are among the guests who feature on the record.

Sonic Highways, the documentary which takes viewers behind the scenes as Foo Fighters record their new album in different studios around America, began airing in the UK on October 26. The eight-episode series is being split between BBC Four and BBC iPlayer, with episodes three to six available exclusively online. The final two episodes will be shown on BBC Four.

Meanwhile, drummer Taylor Hawkins has revealed that he thinks new album 'Sonic Highways' is as close to being perfect as the band could have possibly made it.

Speaking to NME about the album, which is released on November 10, in the video below, Hawkins says: "We like the way our band sounds, naturally. I want drums to sound like drums, as opposed to a drum machine. We kept it as humanly perfect as possible but nothing more. It's as perfect as we can be, which is not perfect."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/80908#uBhEAl2wO1W26GqV.99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mushy wrote: »
    Playing a big show on July 4th in washington DC, so expect the European run to be pre-July, what with German shows announced.

The usual weekend of Rock Werchter which moved playing that I imagine for sure.

Really enjoyed that Nashville episode. Maybe it's old age kicking in but I find myself listening to more country and folky kind of stuff these days and there was some great stuff in this.

Fourth song ain't too good either unfortunately

Big steaming pile of meh!

• Advertisement

Foo Fighters should've have followed Machine Head's lead, by putting the whole album up on their YOUTUBE channel, instead of releasing the songs online one by one.

Foo Fighters should've have followed Machine Head's lead, by putting the whole album up on their YOUTUBE channel, instead of releasing the songs online one by one.

I'd love to have the will power to avoid listening to songs bands stream on their website or put up on youtube prior to an album's release. Remember the excitement of putting on a CD (or tape/vinyl if we go back far enough!) and listening an album in full for the first time after rushing home from the shop?

I'd love to have the will power to avoid listening to songs bands stream on their website or put up on youtube prior to an album's release. Remember the excitement of putting on a CD (or tape/vinyl if we go back far enough!) and listening an album in full for the first time after rushing home from the shop?

Then you're in a St Anger situation where its so bad you never want to play it again.

Mushy wrote: »
    Then you're in a St Anger situation where its so bad you never want to play it again.

True. The excitement would still be there though but I remember on that occasion, my feelings turning to shock, disappointment and frustration.

There's nothing more exciting than buying & then rushing home to listen to a new album without checking it out on YOUTUBE or Spotify first, that kinda spoils the experience of buying music (yes i still buy music), I remember the first time i heard *GN'R's Appetite For Destruction on tape*, words alone couldn't describe that experience - It's an experience that has stuck with me to this day.

*yes i am old enough to remember the pains of music on tape

TL;DR I'll always buy my music as long as cd's are still around.

There's nothing more exciting than buying & then rushing home to listen to a new album without checking it out on YOUTUBE or Spotify first, that kinda spoils the experience of buying music (yes i still buy music), I remember the first time i heard *GN'R's Appetite For Destruction on tape*, words alone couldn't describe that experience - It's an experience that has stuck with me to this day.

*yes i am old enough to remember the pains of music on tape

TL;DR I'll always buy my music as long as cd's are still around.

Don't want to sidetrack a FF thread and go way off point here but I'm from that generation too and the worst kind of albums on tape were the ones where side 1 was considerably different in length than side 2 so you couldn't just flip over the tape and start the other side immediately. Iron Maiden's SSoaSS was terrible for this.

• Advertisement

Fourth song ain't too good either unfortunately

Am i the only one hearing a nod to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama 42 seconds in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Seems like the Foo Fighters want to sound like Tom Petty or the Black Crowes now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Got the new album today :D

1558393_10152861050752292_2405848414134427993_n.jpg?oh=7bd49e5d187a35f170195b53ca7d05ca&oe=54D2B107&__gda__=1424668300_7f3b1a25bf86c5ff9c86156bcdb3b8bb

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Are songs 5-8 any improvement on 1-4?

Are songs 5-8 any improvement on 1-4?

I need to give it a few more listens. It's a bit 'paint-by-numbers' Foos to me so far...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Advertisement

So is it out in ireland today then I know the release date is Tuesday but we always get albums on the Friday , just wondering if it's for sale Il be getting it tomorrow

I pre-ordered mine so prob wont get it till next week :mad:

I pre-ordered mine so prob wont get it till next week :mad:

Amazon? Thats what I did anyway

Amazon? Thats what I did anyway

I ordered it of the Foo's site

colmufc wrote: »
    So is it out in ireland today then I know the release date is Tuesday but we always get albums on the Friday , just wondering if it's for sale Il be getting it tomorrow

The release date is Monday. I called in at my local music shop. They get their new releases delivered on a Friday and put them straight on the shelves :D

Penfailed wrote: »
    The release date is Monday. I called in at my local music shop. They get their new releases delivered on a Friday and put them straight on the shelves :D

well that's the thing I'm wondering according to hmv.ie it's Monday yyet albums are released here on Friday England on Monday and in the states on tuTuesday , so I don't really want to make a 50min round trip just to find out its not there

colmufc wrote: »
    well that's the thing I'm wondering according to hmv.ie it's Monday yyet albums are released here on Friday England on Monday and in the states on tuTuesday , so I don't really want to make a 50min round trip just to find out its not there

just found out its not available in hmv until Monday , thank god I'm off get some xmas shopping done and get the new record

Forgot to confirm my pre-order for Sonic Highways bundle on the Foo's website, looks like i'm gonna have to pick up Sonic Highways on Monday when i venture up to dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Listened to all 4 there. Kinda like the first one, accusations of plagiarism aside. They get progressively worse from there. The fourth can only be described as ****ing brutal tripe.

Went back and listened to one by one there. I was a huge fan around the time that came out and remember being fairly disappointed by it in the end. But judging now its ten times better than this stuff. Wasting Light I thought actually had its moments but the latest stuff sounds pretty poor.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm how do I describe this; think I'll make it clear that I am a fan first off in case people think I'm slating the band for the sake of it.

Heard an interview recently about Dave Grohl not liking the idea of bands playing albums in full now I'm not keen on it either there can be exceptions to a certain extent obviously.

That got me thinking I have an idea why he'd think this, some might disagree obvs but the band actually doesn't have a classic album really you know an album you'd love to hear the lesser played tracks played too I think Colour and the shape comes close and IMO Wasting Light I'd go for. Foos thrive on a spread from their catalog which can be a good thing I guess.

I don't usually have expectations when a band is around as long as the Foo's but off the strength of the last album unfortunately I did, all I can say is having listened a few times tis borderline scutter, heard good things about the TV show but the stuff here elements of decent stuff but pure bland overall.Think its lucky in some ways twas only 8 tracks long which from the offset looked a bad thing.

Having said that this blip we'll call it won't put me off going to see them since I never have.

Here's all 147 official Foo Fighters tunes ranked -

http://www.spin.com/articles/foo-fighters-every-song-ranked-sonic-highways/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

Only two tunes from the new album make the top 50. I know lists like this are only opinion...I'd change a few around...but only a few positions either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good list alright. I'd probably put February Stars in at number two, and New Way Home in at 3, but it's all personal preference innit. TCATS was an epic album.

It does say a lot about their consistency when you see how many of the top 20/25 come from their last two albums before Sonic Highways.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Here's all 147 official Foo Fighters tunes ranked -

http://www.spin.com/articles/foo-fighters-every-song-ranked-sonic-highways/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

Only two tunes from the new album make the top 50. I know lists like this are only opinion...I change a few around...but only a few positions either way.

You're right about it being only opinion as my list would look nothing like that. How is Baker Street not last? I also really love Spill yet he has it at 140. And Wattershed only 139?

Confirmed by Dave Grohl on 2fm, Slane May 30th

Confirmed by Dave Grohl on 2fm, Slane May 30th[/

yayayayayayayayayayayayayayaya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Ahhhh class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

That'll be a fun Saturday :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

"What did I do?" is terrible!!!!!!!

I think the modern Foo Fighters sound a lot like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,222 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dave Grohl on 'The One Show' right now! :D

Advertisement