Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Foo Fighters should've have followed Machine Head's lead, by putting the whole album up on their YOUTUBE channel, instead of releasing the songs online one by one.

I'd love to have the will power to avoid listening to songs bands stream on their website or put up on youtube prior to an album's release. Remember the excitement of putting on a CD (or tape/vinyl if we go back far enough!) and listening an album in full for the first time after rushing home from the shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd love to have the will power to avoid listening to songs bands stream on their website or put up on youtube prior to an album's release. Remember the excitement of putting on a CD (or tape/vinyl if we go back far enough!) and listening an album in full for the first time after rushing home from the shop?

Then you're in a St Anger situation where its so bad you never want to play it again.

Mushy wrote: »
    Then you're in a St Anger situation where its so bad you never want to play it again.

True. The excitement would still be there though but I remember on that occasion, my feelings turning to shock, disappointment and frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

There's nothing more exciting than buying & then rushing home to listen to a new album without checking it out on YOUTUBE or Spotify first, that kinda spoils the experience of buying music (yes i still buy music), I remember the first time i heard *GN'R's Appetite For Destruction on tape*, words alone couldn't describe that experience - It's an experience that has stuck with me to this day.

*yes i am old enough to remember the pains of music on tape

TL;DR I'll always buy my music as long as cd's are still around.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    There's nothing more exciting than buying & then rushing home to listen to a new album without checking it out on YOUTUBE or Spotify first, that kinda spoils the experience of buying music (yes i still buy music), I remember the first time i heard *GN'R's Appetite For Destruction on tape*, words alone couldn't describe that experience - It's an experience that has stuck with me to this day.

*yes i am old enough to remember the pains of music on tape

TL;DR I'll always buy my music as long as cd's are still around.

Don't want to sidetrack a FF thread and go way off point here but I'm from that generation too and the worst kind of albums on tape were the ones where side 1 was considerably different in length than side 2 so you couldn't just flip over the tape and start the other side immediately. Iron Maiden's SSoaSS was terrible for this.

• Advertisement

Fourth song ain't too good either unfortunately

Am i the only one hearing a nod to Lynyrd Skynyrd's Sweet Home Alabama 42 seconds in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Seems like the Foo Fighters want to sound like Tom Petty or the Black Crowes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Got the new album today :D

1558393_10152861050752292_2405848414134427993_n.jpg?oh=7bd49e5d187a35f170195b53ca7d05ca&oe=54D2B107&__gda__=1424668300_7f3b1a25bf86c5ff9c86156bcdb3b8bb

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Are songs 5-8 any improvement on 1-4?

Are songs 5-8 any improvement on 1-4?

I need to give it a few more listens. It's a bit 'paint-by-numbers' Foos to me so far...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

So is it out in ireland today then I know the release date is Tuesday but we always get albums on the Friday , just wondering if it's for sale Il be getting it tomorrow

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I pre-ordered mine so prob wont get it till next week :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I pre-ordered mine so prob wont get it till next week :mad:

Amazon? Thats what I did anyway

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,882 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Amazon? Thats what I did anyway

I ordered it of the Foo's site

colmufc wrote: »
    So is it out in ireland today then I know the release date is Tuesday but we always get albums on the Friday , just wondering if it's for sale Il be getting it tomorrow

The release date is Monday. I called in at my local music shop. They get their new releases delivered on a Friday and put them straight on the shelves :D

Penfailed wrote: »
    The release date is Monday. I called in at my local music shop. They get their new releases delivered on a Friday and put them straight on the shelves :D

well that's the thing I'm wondering according to hmv.ie it's Monday yyet albums are released here on Friday England on Monday and in the states on tuTuesday , so I don't really want to make a 50min round trip just to find out its not there

colmufc wrote: »
    well that's the thing I'm wondering according to hmv.ie it's Monday yyet albums are released here on Friday England on Monday and in the states on tuTuesday , so I don't really want to make a 50min round trip just to find out its not there

just found out its not available in hmv until Monday , thank god I'm off get some xmas shopping done and get the new record

Forgot to confirm my pre-order for Sonic Highways bundle on the Foo's website, looks like i'm gonna have to pick up Sonic Highways on Monday when i venture up to dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Listened to all 4 there. Kinda like the first one, accusations of plagiarism aside. They get progressively worse from there. The fourth can only be described as ****ing brutal tripe.

Went back and listened to one by one there. I was a huge fan around the time that came out and remember being fairly disappointed by it in the end. But judging now its ten times better than this stuff. Wasting Light I thought actually had its moments but the latest stuff sounds pretty poor.

• Advertisement

Hmmmmmm how do I describe this; think I'll make it clear that I am a fan first off in case people think I'm slating the band for the sake of it.

Heard an interview recently about Dave Grohl not liking the idea of bands playing albums in full now I'm not keen on it either there can be exceptions to a certain extent obviously.

That got me thinking I have an idea why he'd think this, some might disagree obvs but the band actually doesn't have a classic album really you know an album you'd love to hear the lesser played tracks played too I think Colour and the shape comes close and IMO Wasting Light I'd go for. Foos thrive on a spread from their catalog which can be a good thing I guess.

I don't usually have expectations when a band is around as long as the Foo's but off the strength of the last album unfortunately I did, all I can say is having listened a few times tis borderline scutter, heard good things about the TV show but the stuff here elements of decent stuff but pure bland overall.Think its lucky in some ways twas only 8 tracks long which from the offset looked a bad thing.

Having said that this blip we'll call it won't put me off going to see them since I never have.

Here's all 147 official Foo Fighters tunes ranked -

http://www.spin.com/articles/foo-fighters-every-song-ranked-sonic-highways/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

Only two tunes from the new album make the top 50. I know lists like this are only opinion...I'd change a few around...but only a few positions either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Good list alright. I'd probably put February Stars in at number two, and New Way Home in at 3, but it's all personal preference innit. TCATS was an epic album.

It does say a lot about their consistency when you see how many of the top 20/25 come from their last two albums before Sonic Highways.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Here's all 147 official Foo Fighters tunes ranked -

http://www.spin.com/articles/foo-fighters-every-song-ranked-sonic-highways/?utm_source=spinfacebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=spinfacebook

Only two tunes from the new album make the top 50. I know lists like this are only opinion...I change a few around...but only a few positions either way.

You're right about it being only opinion as my list would look nothing like that. How is Baker Street not last? I also really love Spill yet he has it at 140. And Wattershed only 139?

Confirmed by Dave Grohl on 2fm, Slane May 30th

Confirmed by Dave Grohl on 2fm, Slane May 30th[/

yayayayayayayayayayayayayayaya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Ahhhh class :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

That'll be a fun Saturday :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

"What did I do?" is terrible!!!!!!!

I think the modern Foo Fighters sound a lot like Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,710 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Dave Grohl on 'The One Show' right now! :D

Advertisement