Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foo Fighters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Another song that's only ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I have a feeling this album, for all it's slick promotion, is going to struggle to match previous sales figures for FF realeases. Between this current documentary, and Sound City (enjoyable as it was) Grohl is in danger of overplaying the nostalgia card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

That new song is B side material at best. If that's one of the EIGHT that made the final cut this could be a stinker

• Registered Users Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Not gone on that one, kinda wished it would finish earlier than it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    That new song is B side material at best. If that's one of the EIGHT that made the final cut this could be a stinker

Tis track 2 on the album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

Well that was a big bowl of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭north_star_33

I actually like the second tune far more than the first....the first one is long overproduced and messy but it will be lapped up by newer foo fans anyway.
    And 8 songs?!!!! And also does anyone else think dave is just trying to dominate music....i mean i love the guy...and ive been listening to all things foo for 20 years...but i persoanally think hes just trying to gobble everyone...

Or am i.a muupet ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Foo Fighters performed new track 'The Feast And The Famine' live for the first time on Friday night in Washington DC.

The band performed an intimate club show to around 400 fans at the city's Black Cat club last night (October 24).

The gig took place directly after the second episode of the Dave Grohl direct documentary series Sonic Highways was broadcast on HBO.

Taking to the stage shortly after 11pm, Grohl and co performed for more than three hours. Their set was almost totally made up of tracks spread across their 20-year career including new song 'Something From Nothing', first debuted as part of the Chicago episode of Sonic Highways broadcast last week.

Late on in the set Grohl introduced 'The Feast And The Famine', made available online on Thursday, and said: "We've never played this in front of people before. This song is about Washington D.C."

The epic set also included tracks like 'All My Life', 'One By One', 'Big Me', 'Monkey Wrench', 'My Hero', 'White Limo' and 'Best Of You'. The band also played a number of covers including Queen's 'Under Pressure' and 'Stiff Competition' by Cheap Trick.

Foo Fighters' eighth album, 'Sonic Highways', will be released on November 10. As previously revealed to NME, Eagles' Joe Walsh, Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard and Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen are among the guests who feature on the record.

Sonic Highways, the documentary which takes viewers behind the scenes as Foo Fighters record their new album in different studios around America, will air in the UK on BBC Four beginning Sunday, October 26. The eight-episode series will then be split between BBC Four and BBC iPlayer, with episodes three to six available exclusively online. The final two episodes will then be shown on BBC Four.

Foo Fighters played:

'Something From Nothing'
    'The Pretender'
    'New Way Home'
    'Up in Arms'
    'I'll Stick Around'
    'My Hero'
    'Learn to Fly'
    'White Limo'
    'Arlandria'
    'Cold Day in the Sun'
    'Stiff Competition'
    'Breakdown'
    'Miss You'
    'Under Pressure'
    'Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love'
    'All My Life'
    'Aurora'
    'Generator'
    'Walk'
    'Monkey Wrench'
    'Hey, Johnny Park!'
    'Times Like These'
    'This Is a Call'
    'The Feast and the Famine'
    'Weenie Beenie'
    'Big Me'
    'Best of You'
    'Everlong'

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/80644#MhAcY9qBpe6CuYLB.99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Something from Holy Diver riff and 2nd song there like B-sides as some mentioned, hopefully don't regret pre-ordering this a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Way prefer the second song to the first, surprised it wasn't the first single.

• Advertisement

Have to say both songs have grown on me and i think after watching the first 2 episodes of Sonic Highways helped me like them more

Foo Fighters and Rise Against to tour Australia and New Zealand

16392_10154727920835705_561387403940674241_n.jpg?oh=a15975cd399fc025b1ca07ba7e5b4bf8&oe=54E94C8A&__gda__=1425339144_9552de3d00730b66fb0454f6a8dc1c82

Feb. 18 -- Christchurch, AMI Stadium
    Feb. 21 -- Auckland, Mt. Smart Stadium
    Feb. 24 -- Brisbane, Suncorp Stadium
    Feb. 26 -- Sydney, ANZ Stadium
    Feb. 28 -- Melbourne | Etihad Stadium
    March 2 -- Hobart, Derwent Entertainment Centre
    March 4 -- Adelaide, Coopers Stadium
    March 7 -- Perth, nib Stadium

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Dave Grohl's already looking ahead to the Sonic Highways follow up
    http://loudwire.com/foo-fighters-dave-grohl-sonic-highways-follow-up/
    Wait until you see what we’re doing for the next record That’s some ****ed up ****t. I already know what we’re doing for that, and it makes this look like ****ing kindergarten.

Also a 31 second preview of Congregation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

I was expecting so much more but I found with some of their songs over the years that they are growers... There is a few I wouldn't have been crazy on at first but now I love....

3rd song released from Sonic Highways

Better than the last effort, tis alright!

The Foo's Invictus Games closing set

All My Life
    Times Like These
    The Pretender
    Learn To Fly
    My Hero
    Dave Addresses The Crowd/White Limo
    Arlandria
    Dave Introduces The Band
    Cold Day In The Sun
    Walk
    Dave Being Dave, Telling Stories, Taking T Shirts etc.
    Best Of You
    Saying Goodbye, Thanking Everyone
    Everlong

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    The Foo's Invictus Games closing set

All My Life
    Times Like These
    The Pretender
    Learn To Fly
    My Hero
    Dave Addresses The Crowd/White Limo
    Arlandria
    Dave Introduces The Band
    Cold Day In The Sun
    Walk
    Dave Being Dave, Telling Stories, Taking T Shirts etc.
    Best Of You
    Saying Goodbye, Thanking Everyone
    Everlong
    completely forgot about that show looks good

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    3rd song released from Sonic Highways

Probably the best of the 3 so far but still no White Limo.

Episode 3 up on BBC iPlayer. It does require a VPN to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Those 2 songs sound exactly like every other Foo Fighters song I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

that 3rd song , Congregation, has a slight Thin Lizzy feel on the chorus. Not bad ..... it's harmless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RayCon wrote: »
    that 3rd song , Congregation, has a slight Thin Lizzy feel on the chorus. Not bad ..... it's harmless.

That pretty much sums up the Foos nowadays.

Between this documentary and the recent 'Sound City', it seems like Grohl is desperately searching for a spark of inspiration and decided it may be found in his own past. If these three songs are anything to go by, he's running on empty.

Playing a big show on July 4th in washington DC, so expect the European run to be pre-July, what with German shows announced.

Dave Grohl has said that he is open to the idea of Foo Fighters headlining Glastonbury 2015 – and Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis says the band are "overdue" an appearance.

Speaking to NME for a major feature in this week's issue, which is on newsstands and available digitally now, Grohl is asked if he is keen to headline the Worthy Farm festival for the first time.

"I mean, it's an iconic festival," the frontman replies. "I just tell everyone if they need a band, we're pretty good. They should give us a call. See what happens."

Asked to respond to the quotes Emily Eavis told NME: "We'd love to have the Foo Fighters back at Glastonbury and they haven't played since 1998 so its well overdue! We'll have to see..."

At the moment Foo Fighters are one of the bookmakers favourites to headline the festival. Other rumoured names for 2015 have included Fleetwood Mac, Muse and AC/DC.

Earlier this week it was reported that Grohl does not approve of bands revisiting old albums on their anniversary and admitted that he considered re-recording Foo Fighters' debut album to "piss people off".

Foo Fighters' eighth album, 'Sonic Highways', will be released on November 10. As previously revealed to NME, Eagles' Joe Walsh, Death Cab For Cutie's Ben Gibbard and Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen are among the guests who feature on the record.

Sonic Highways, the documentary which takes viewers behind the scenes as Foo Fighters record their new album in different studios around America, began airing in the UK on October 26. The eight-episode series is being split between BBC Four and BBC iPlayer, with episodes three to six available exclusively online. The final two episodes will be shown on BBC Four.

Meanwhile, drummer Taylor Hawkins has revealed that he thinks new album 'Sonic Highways' is as close to being perfect as the band could have possibly made it.

Speaking to NME about the album, which is released on November 10, in the video below, Hawkins says: "We like the way our band sounds, naturally. I want drums to sound like drums, as opposed to a drum machine. We kept it as humanly perfect as possible but nothing more. It's as perfect as we can be, which is not perfect."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/foo-fighters/80908#uBhEAl2wO1W26GqV.99

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mushy wrote: »
    Playing a big show on July 4th in washington DC, so expect the European run to be pre-July, what with German shows announced.

The usual weekend of Rock Werchter which moved playing that I imagine for sure.

Really enjoyed that Nashville episode. Maybe it's old age kicking in but I find myself listening to more country and folky kind of stuff these days and there was some great stuff in this.

Fourth song ain't too good either unfortunately

Big steaming pile of meh!

• Advertisement

Foo Fighters should've have followed Machine Head's lead, by putting the whole album up on their YOUTUBE channel, instead of releasing the songs online one by one.

Advertisement